Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Does Mamie Van Doren and Adam West hosting Turkey Day count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Who played the mole people in the early episodes? Or whatever they were supposed to be

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Uncle Wemus posted:

Who played the mole people in the early episodes? Or whatever they were supposed to be

Mostly interns from what I’ve heard. They phased them out because the masks were insanely hot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

TL posted:

Mostly interns from what I’ve heard. They phased them out because the masks were insanely hot.

IIRC, they were named Gerry and Sylvia, after Gerry and Sylvia Anderson, creators of Thunderbirds and other puppet action shows

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Mike was pretty much their go to guy when it came to celebrity impersonation in the early days

He did an amazing Urkel

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

im a fan of mike's morrissey impression personally

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Big fan of Mike in the Crash Test Dummies, too

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The mole people have been a great source of strength.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Mike was pretty much their go to guy when it came to celebrity impersonation in the early days

Torgo and the goon from Daddy-O?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

zoux posted:

Torgo and the goon from Daddy-O?

Also Jack Perkins, Hugh Beaumont, and multiple others I forget

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Larryb posted:

Glenn Manning too. And the voice of Megaweapon.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Mothra AND Gamera.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ah, but Kevin was Kitten With a Whip. Which apparently he got thanks to him being out of the room when they decided.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Winky from Manhunt in Space, JC from Sidehackers (with Frank as Gooch)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, when was Mike’s first on screen appearance in the series? Sometime during the second or third season?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, when was Mike’s first on screen appearance in the series? Sometime during the second or third season?

First episode of season 2, I think, although his voice is in season 1.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

During the unforgettable perfomance by the United Servo Academy Men's Choir in Starfighters, Mike introduces them and is obviously affecting an impression, he keeps saying "Fan-tes-tek, Fan-tes-tek" or something like that. I've heard him use the same voice in a riff here and there, who is he trying to do? It's not Lawrence Welk, Trace does Lawrence Welk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

First episode of season 2, I think, although his voice is in season 1.

Ah yes I remember now. Didn’t recall he was in the first season though, do you remember the specific episode out of curiosity?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

During the unforgettable perfomance by the United Servo Academy Men's Choir in Starfighters, Mike introduces them and is obviously affecting an impression, he keeps saying "Fan-tes-tek, Fan-tes-tek" or something like that. I've heard him use the same voice in a riff here and there, who is he trying to do? It's not Lawrence Welk, Trace does Lawrence Welk.

I always got the vibe that it was just your typical European classical music/opera conductor. I believe Mike's said in interviews that he's a big fan of classical music, so there may be someone specifically from that type of music that he was referencing/imitating.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I always got the vibe that it was just your typical European classical music/opera conductor. I believe Mike's said in interviews that he's a big fan of classical music, so there may be someone specifically from that type of music that he was referencing/imitating.

I recall reading somewhere that it's a reference to a semi-notable public radio classical music show host.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I recall reading somewhere that it's a reference to a semi-notable public radio classical music show host.

Why didn't I grow up in Minnesota in the mid 70s, I miss so many references

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Season 11 having a referencing to Mount Airy Lodge (all you need to bring/is your love of anything) was finally my chance to enjoy a joke about a regional ad.

Though, living in the midwest now I can enjoy all of the Menards references on a much deeper level than everyone else.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Why didn't I grow up in Minnesota in the mid 70s, I miss so many references

Wisconsin, where you temp at dairies when you’re not doing gigs with your band Sex Factory

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wisconsin, where you temp at dairies when you’re not doing gigs with your band Sex Factory

As well as trying to avoid being devoured by giant spiders (or Alan Hale)

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It’s also the same impression he busts out for Servo’s madrigal singers in Quest of the Delta Knights.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The streets of Little Chute, Wisconsin used to get pretty nuts on Saturday nights during Crazy Days with all the sidewalk sales going on. It could be just like Helltown.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only hope, my death is cool

Watching Projected Man:
1. it's really weird hearing someone explain what a laser, I'm sorry, I mean LASER, is from first principles to a complete laser naif.
2. The three leads, especially the female and non-projected male leads, have the most insane english accents I've ever heard. Where is that guy supposed to be from

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Murdstone posted:

The streets of Little Chute, Wisconsin used to get pretty nuts on Saturday nights during Crazy Days with all the sidewalk sales going on. It could be just like Helltown.

wow what you must have gone through

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CROW MAGNONS RULE THE PLAYGROUND!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

CROW MAGNONS RULE THE PLAYGROUND!

"I'm about to show this Crow-Magnon waterboy who's the boss around here!"

"Ah, you couldn't show Aunt Mabel the Mall of America!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Larryb posted:

Ah yes I remember now. Didn’t recall he was in the first season though, do you remember the specific episode out of curiosity?

I don't remember myself, but it looks like he was the voice of the Asimov literary doomsday device in Women of the Prehistoric Planet (104). I'd thought he wasn't brought on until season 2, but I guess that's just when he was made head writer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I don't remember myself, but it looks like he was the voice of the Asimov literary doomsday device in Women of the Prehistoric Planet (104). I'd thought he wasn't brought on until season 2, but I guess that's just when he was made head writer.

From what I’ve heard Mike was part of the staff from pretty early on in the show (but I could be wrong)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had no idea Asimov had haters before seeing those host segments.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
104 was also the last of season one's production order (which makes the numbering really odd when it contains multiple callbacks to "later episodes" including to 113, plus the direct follow-up to 110 by announcing the winners of the contest for naming the avocado scientist), so that at least tracks with Mike first making appearances on the show pretty close to Season 2.

Bicyclops posted:

I'd thought he wasn't brought on until season 2, but I guess that's just when he was made head writer.

Larryb posted:

From what I’ve heard Mike was part of the staff from pretty early on in the show (but I could be wrong)
Mike was hired onto the show shortly after his marriage to Bridget - that was on October 21, 1989, and episode 101 was on November 25, 1989.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

104 was also the last of season one's production order (which makes the numbering really odd when it contains multiple callbacks to "later episodes" including to 113, plus the direct follow-up to 110 by announcing the winners of the contest for naming the avocado scientist), so that at least tracks with Mike first making appearances on the show pretty close to Season 2.

Mike was hired onto the show shortly after his marriage to Bridget - that was on October 21, 1989, and episode 101 was on November 25, 1989.

Was Bridget herself hired on at about the same time or did she come earlier/later? I know she was at least there by the time they did Mr B Wonderful

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Was Bridget herself hired on at about the same time or did she come earlier/later? I know she was at least there by the time they did Mr B Wonderful
Apparently it was actually a reverse situation where he got hired possibly due to his connection to Bridget? This is a quote from her:

Bridget Jones posted:

"When I started on the show, Mike and I were engaged. I was writing scripts at home, so Mike would come home and the movie was still on the VCR, and he’d be like, “Oh, God—please!”"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I believe Kevin was also on staff for the show prior to becoming the voice of Servo, not sure about Frank and Mary though (I know they were at least around by Season 2/Mike’s hosting debut respectively)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mike says that he was hired as like a gofer who would type up the jokes that the writers room made. They told him he could throw in any suggestions he might come up with and turns out he was the GOAT riffer

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

zoux posted:

Mike says that he was hired as like a gofer who would type up the jokes that the writers room made. They told him he could throw in any suggestions he might come up with and turns out he was the GOAT riffer

I wonder if "You guys watch Joe Don Baker movies?" was a sincerely spoken line from him at one point and they decided to write it in. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of Mike's major strengths that I miss in the new show is that his frequently understated delivery really sold the idea that it was spontaneous. I think Emily comes closest to getting it.