Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People get mad about using clear and obvious error as the ref cop-out, but they also want the ref to intervene less. I think people miss how antithetical these goals are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

People get mad about using clear and obvious error as the ref cop-out, but they also want the ref to intervene less. I think people miss how antithetical these goals are.

I think people are sometimes two different people.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

the video made sense to me, a fair and impartial observer, considering they had to clear 3 separate checks

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Who was writing those cheques??

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of writing cheques!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/15/chelsea-fc-face-new-questions-over-how-roman-abramovich-funded-success

quote:

Chelsea FC face fresh questions over how its former owner Roman Abramovich funded the club’s success, after leaked files revealed a string of secret payments that may have breached strict football rules, including those on “financial fair play”.

Experts said the transactions, uncovered through a joint investigation by the Guardian and international partners, could lead to the Premier League imposing punishments on Chelsea, such as a deduction of points.

The files reveal a series of payments worth tens of millions of pounds over a decade, routed through offshore vehicles belonging to Abramovich. The transactions in question appear to have been for Chelsea’s benefit, raising questions about whether they were declared in accounts submitted to football’s governing bodies.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The only fair thing to do is to remove ten points from every season since Abramovich took over and redistribute titles accordingly.

Congratulations to Spurs 2017

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Isn't that the same thing that Chelsea self-reported about though? UEFA already fined them a few mill because the charges were too old. I guess it shows how easy it is to get away with stuff.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Ancient history.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i think stripping them of every title since abramovich bought them is only fair

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i think stripping them of every title since abramovich bought them is only fair
Most definitely.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

As long as they don't award the title to the 2nd place teams. We can't have Spurs winning the league.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Congratulations to Tottenham Hotspur, honorary Champions League participants 2012-13

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Congratulations to Tottenham Hotspur, honorary Champions League participants 2012-13

They're already preparing a DVD and a parade.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i loving hate international breaks

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

mila kunis posted:

Agreed, along with chelsea they should just be banished

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

mila kunis posted:

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?
Admit it...you only hate international breaks because they're boring and increase the risk of your favorite players getting seriously injured.

Euros, Copa America, federation tournaments. Why do the nations have to play so many games to quality for their own region's tournament? Expand the tournaments; all teams qualify; chaos ascends.

Expand the number of teams in the World Cup, eliminate qualifiers, and select teams by random draw, weighted by performance in regional tournaments.

I$ th€r€ $om€thing I'm £€aving out?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Everton have been given a 10 point deduction. Suspect a ton of lawsuits are going to start flying in from the club's relegated last year

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1725488623548608924?t=1gsbP6lfZB5AR7uzaG0Ocg&s=19

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I might be dumb, but surely this has been litigated and solved a million times already? Teams have been deducted points early, late and on time many times before, with various consequences for opponents and ~stakeholders~

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
lol even with a ten point deduction in November, Everton still stent bottom. They might actually scrape by and stay up just because the bottom clubs are uniquely poo poo this season

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think they'll survive easily tbh, the bottom three are so far below standard

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

TheRat posted:

I might be dumb, but surely this has been litigated and solved a million times already? Teams have been deducted points early, late and on time many times before, with various consequences for opponents and ~stakeholders~

*clubs not named Manchester City

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I will accept Leeds being returned to the prem in evertons place but not if jesse marsch gets another go

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Now do City

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Cool, now do Man City

edit: F;b

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
very funny that they did the point deduction in the one season where there are three teams so bad that Everton will stay up anyway

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
-10 points would have got them relegated last year and also the year before that

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

vyelkin posted:

very funny that they did the point deduction in the one season where there are three teams so bad that Everton will stay up anyway

Eagerly awaiting Man City's 15 point deduction on the final day of the season when they're 20 points clear at the top

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Here to laugh at Everton. Also

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

I will accept Leeds being returned to the prem in evertons place but only if jesse marsch gets another go

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TheRat posted:

I think they'll survive easily tbh, the bottom three are so far below standard

Ya also the fact that Everton are kinda looking decent this year? Since Calwert Lewin came back they look so dangerous. Other than the loss to Luton they have looked decent.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
-10 points will see them a win away from climbing out of the relegation zone right away. If it's gonna happen, this is the year to just accept it and move on.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ooooooooohhhh... That'll teach em

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
https://twitter.com/Memerinho1/status/1725514728326181032/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1725514728326181032&currentTweetUser=Memerinho1

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Frankston posted:

Eagerly awaiting Man City's 15 point deduction on the final day of the season when they're 20 points clear at the top

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/1725499020489949206

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A financial advisor said so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

It's just not as fun when you can spot the clickbait bullshit immediately