Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I am real bad at Cobalt Core, because I go for the cards that seem strong instead of winnowing my deck down to a 0-cost basic shot and 0-cost extra draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I did hardest mode last night with math.max B and 0 cost basic shot, so yeah I'm really good at the game. Will probably play on hard mode for the rest of my runs and just mess around with silly joke cards that arent math.max B and 0 cost basic shot.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

I always have something going on on my second monitor.
I need to expose myself to maximum amount of media at the same time to minimize my exposure to the real world and the risk of any thoughts occurring in my brain.

Agreed, one gaming monitor and two TV's. I have my game up, my buddies game streaming through discord on the top TV, and the third screen for the discord group because we all have our webcams active.

This is how my buddy games and I used to think he had a problem. Well, now we both have that problem.

In the last month I've broken the gaming monitor and one TV because I like to party, down to one giant 1080p TV for everything and it's like traveling back to 2004

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FutureCop posted:

Highlighting a rather interesting demo I encountered: Erenshor: The Single Player MMORPG

As it says in the title, this game recreates an old-school MMORPG experience but is technically completely single-player and filled with bots to simulate other players: think games like .Hack, I suppose, but to a further degree. This isn't simulating newer MMORPGs like WoW though, this is very specifically old-school Everquest, where you're [H]ailing NPCs and typing in keywords to ask them about stuff, turning on auto-attack to beat up a skeleton and take his bone chips, checking enemies for their color-coded condition on whether they're safe to fight, listening to weird global chats and people auctioning their items, exploring dungeons and being careful not to aggro too much or get caught off-guard by respawns, and so on. I was really expecting it to just be nostalgia-bait, but I was pleasantly surprised at how fun it was to explore, finding hidden dungeons and quests with no obvious guidance.

I found it rather fascinating with the level of immersive simulation it does. For example, if you want to group up, you can literally type "LFG" in shout chat just like you would back then, and you'll get some responses from people in the area eventually that will make their way over to you: you'd expect that they would make it too convenient by having people teleport to you instantly, or to have some sort of modernized menu to facilitate grouping, but no, they are trying to recreate it authentically, for better or for worse. I tried typing "DING" into shout chat when I leveled up and sure enough, messages of "grats" filled the chat! I also found it amusing that it has a fake login screen, but some people were confused and afraid that it was using their credentials without their permission: it's almost too real!

Basically, if you liked Everquest and would like to play it again but find it too difficult to actually play with people on the old-school Project 99 servers, or you like other MMORPG-esque/exploration games like Morrowind or Gedonia or .Hack, consider checking out the demo and keep a look out for its eventual release.

Thanks for the highlight, I tried it and it seems like fun. I personally never played Everquest, only got into MMORPG's with GW1 and later on LoTRO, but I still recognize the style. The game is quite janky, using the chat and moving your character is a bit of a chore but I'm sure a lot of it is by design. Gonna play the actual game when it releases for sure.

I was pretty impressed how smart the AI players were. Someone was looking to buy an item I just found in the first dungeon, so I said "I have one, come to well" and sure enough, they replied they're OTW and met me there to trade. I wonder how complex chat you can have? How complex is even needed? Thinking about all those times in GW1 I tried to meet up with some guy only for them to be in a different district... you even get to use a parser here.

I'm a big fan of Gedonia and this reminded me a bit of it in terms of some slight jank and graphic style.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

TeaJay posted:

I was pretty impressed how smart the AI players were. Someone was looking to buy an item I just found in the first dungeon, so I said "I have one, come to well" and sure enough, they replied they're OTW and met me there to trade. I wonder how complex chat you can have? How complex is even needed? Thinking about all those times in GW1 I tried to meet up with some guy only for them to be in a different district... you even get to use a parser here.

That is really drat cool. I downloaded the demo earlier, and hearing this is making my day seem so much longer as I wait for work to end so I can try it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Humble WB bundle is back until they run out of keys

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wb-100-play-legends

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm the weirdo outlier who maintains that every single modern Arkane game has suffered from more or less the exact same problems and Deathloop is simply the point where everyone else started noticing them.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

My hot Arkane take is that Prey isn't that good after you know all the twists from your first playthrough

This is the most insane thing I’ve read in ages, completely independent of the game it’s related to

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 14, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

xposting from the roguelikes thread:

Astral Ascent just hit 1.0

absolutely mammoth patch notes and launch updates

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1280930/view/3790402813128199724?l=english

The patch notes are like two news articles because they're so huge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV9Q3xnRaq8

It's an action roguelite, I guess maybe most closely analogous to Dead Cells, but it's doing its own thing (also has multiplayer coop)

Very big, lot of content, they've been consistently patching updating and changing stuff throughout EA - they weren't afraid to do full system revamps if something sucked either

Anyway, give it a try, it's pretty, plays fast, you can easily see if you dig it inside the refund window

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Deathloop was indeed bad. It didn't work as an imsim, it didn't really work as a straight shooter, it kinda didn't work at all, with a single braindead enemy type. The silliest mistake was having the difficulty scale by increasing after each Visionary killed in a given loop... while giving you absolutely no reason to try going for more than one kill at a time until the endgame of the final loop. The looping itself was also kinda wack, since you ended up constantly replaying four small levels that only changed by opening different separated minidungeons at various daytimes. It had two hours of artificial difficulty by giving you guns that jam on every third bullet and then a big nothing once you unlocked a first real gun. It pretended to be a little looter roguelite, except all of the drops were complete chaff as you quickly unlock special quest guns that are strictly superior to anything that could ever drop.

The level design and environmental art were cool, the voice acting was rightfully praised but there wasn't no meat to put on those bones. I'm not even sure what this game was supposed to offer to the wide audience it tried to court. At the time it just felt like a disappointment "for an Arkane game", but in hindsight it feels like a prelude to Redfall, like the first project where they let in the committee guy who's heard about what popular moneymaking games are doing these days and trying to cram it onto whatever the team was trying to do.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm the weirdo outlier who maintains that every single modern Arkane game has suffered from more or less the exact same problems and Deathloop is simply the point where everyone else started noticing them.

Dishonored is weird in that it pleases the imsim crowd when played with assumption you just kind of know how these games go, with stuff like exploration, pacifist runs or ghosting levels is desirable. If you just sit down, use the tools that are given and play it as it presents itself it's... a downright casual experience. I was horrified to see how my gf played through it as a middling fps and there was no way of explaining how it's *supposed to be played* wihtout sounding like some insane nuzlocke speedrunner.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I played through Dishonored without killing anyone, and it was kinda just meh. So if you're not supposed to kill everyone, and not supposed to not kill everyone, how is it "supposed" to be played?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

I played through Dishonored without killing anyone, and it was kinda just meh. So if you're not supposed to kill everyone, and not supposed to not kill everyone, how is it "supposed" to be played?

whatever way is most fun, obviously

personally, i like playing as the Rat Demon of Dunwall and devouring every poor soul with an endless army of rats. High Chaos is great for this since it gives me more meat for my minions

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Literally just play it however you like unless the story that isn't very good in the first place (tho presented well) changing is a gamebreaker for you. It will likely be much more fun using all your powers tho I also find ghosting to be a lot of fun in the dishonored games.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Broken Cog posted:

You can kill quite a few people before it goes high chaos, and high chaos isn't something you're "not supposed" to do, it's just the closest thing to an evil playthrough the game has. I would say the "intended" way to play without trying to minmax any particular aspect is to play relatively stealthily but it's fine to take out a couple of guards with a razor wire or something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Deathloop had great gun feel and I hope that particular team gets to work on a different game that doesn't have such an identity crisis.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Personally I'm a big fan of the, "Go in stealthy but kill everyone if/when I'm spotted" kind of approach.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just shot tornadoes everywhere

Take that, party goers

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More rats.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

you're the giant rat that makes all of the rules

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

are you a bad enough rat?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lichtenstein posted:

Dishonored is weird in that it pleases the imsim crowd when played with assumption you just kind of know how these games go, with stuff like exploration, pacifist runs or ghosting levels is desirable. If you just sit down, use the tools that are given and play it as it presents itself it's... a downright casual experience. I was horrified to see how my gf played through it as a middling fps and there was no way of explaining how it's *supposed to be played* wihtout sounding like some insane nuzlocke speedrunner.

I've been through the game on low chaos treating it like a proper imsim and on high chaos running around murdering everyone and in both cases I thought the same thing: The core gameplay just isn't very good. Maybe it gets a bit more thrilling if you're doing strict ghost runs or you're willing to make your own fun and combine powers in wacky ways that are otherwise completely unnecessary, but neither of those extremes appeal to me.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Give me a game that's mechanically identical to Hitman but with Corvo's Blink

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sab669 posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of the, "Go in stealthy but kill everyone if/when I'm spotted" kind of approach.

The "gently caress it, we ball" approach, if you will

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Volte posted:

Deathloop is a fairly linear story about a time loop, and it succeeds at that fine I think. Maybe it's not what people wish it was (and early marketing did make it seem like a more free-form Rube Goldberg device), but as a spiritual successor to Dishonored, it works fine for me. Dishonored was also linear and had a "correct" way to kill each person too, and being a sequence of levels you were tied down to an even more rigid sequence order. Incidentally, when people talk about what they wish Deathloop was, it often sounds like they're describing Hitman, which everyone should also play.

Comparisons to Mooncrash are over-emphasized I think. Mooncrash has a pretty typical roguelite structure and the "time loop" theme is just an in-universe justification for the universe resetting so you can do another run. It's not part of the "stuck in a time loop" genre and it uses the looping in a totally different way.

Exactly. This is why the comparisons between Mooncrash and Deathloop don't make sense to me. They're different games in different genres trying to do different things. They're not supposed to play the same way.

People complain about there being only one "right" solution in Deathloop, but it's not like that was hidden. There was literally had a pre-release trailer all about Cole explicitly stating he needed to arrange things to be able to kill all his targets in the same loop. The game clearly is narrative-driven - unlike Mooncrash - so the idea of there being one solution is implicit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sorry, once a studio makes two of one kind of game it can never make a different kind of game again.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Sorry, once a studio makes two of one kind of game it can never make a different kind of game again.

Ah, the Firaxis problem

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

xcom 3 when

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Broken Cog posted:

Kill centristly.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

They put it on a Marvel license for some reason.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Go on a murder spree, high chaos is so much more fun.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Lots of turn based games on sale rn: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/turnbasedcarnival2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If there's a turn-based sale will there be a turn-cringe sale?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:frogout:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

TeaJay posted:

I wonder if its brute forced by hand or uses any language model stuff. I've been thinking a game in the next few years is going to use language model stuff to power chat in a way that'll surprise people. Plenty of "AI" stuff is all hype, but the better chatbot stuff is pretty impressive. I think you could build a single player MMO where the bot chat was fairly indistinguishable from other players even with lots of chatting about random topics. A key difference to an actual MMO is that you could make all the bots work towards a story that centered on the player with actual consequences compared to an MMO where everything is an event that has to reset for the next show. Not a Future Of Gaming thing but a neat experience could be made if the server costs were low enough (or players accepted paying monthly for a single player game).

Even a CRPG that returned to typing text questions ala old Wizardry where it could actually do more than look for keywords would be neat and could be done purely on the local machine if the extra VRAM wasn't an issue.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Dishonored (and especially Dishonored 2) are way better action games with cool levels and exploration than stealth games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Orv posted:

This is the most insane thing I’ve read in ages, completely independent of the game it’s related to

I mean most games with fun enough gameplay don't really rely on the plot to propel you forward but most games also don't have you shooting/wrenching/etc at black blobs or grey rectangles for the full runtime

Well maybe some NES era ones did but still

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

It's called Midnight Suns and it's pretty good OP

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

I mean most games with fun enough gameplay don't really rely on the plot to propel you forward but most games also don't have you shooting/wrenching/etc at black blobs or grey rectangles for the full runtime

Well maybe some NES era ones did but still

That's super not what you said though

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

If there's a turn-based sale will there be a turn-cringe sale?

Yeah, turn off your monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Away all Goats posted:

It's called Midnight Suns and it's pretty good OP

I don't see any sectoids in there, just cards