Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
What of people who are currently both banned and not banned, say, reregs who let their original username die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

really queer Christmas posted:

If anyone has an issue with this, feel free to propose changes, or maybe put a specific circumstance like "being banned for bloodlust is disqualifying even if you come back"

This is a terrible, terrible amendment to try to enforce. Having the standard of "people are ineligible if they do bad enough poo poo to be permaed" is enough without a a brigade of amateur means testers trying to enforce their own mini carceral state.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

If anyone has an issue with this, feel free to propose changes, or maybe put a specific circumstance like "being banned for bloodlust is disqualifying even if you come back"

I absolutely oppose any amendment that gives capricious mods the ability to deny assistance to people.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

I absolutely oppose any amendment that gives capricious mods the ability to deny assistance to people.

Yeah, I don't think tying ban/probation reasons to eligibility for assistance will lead anywhere good (unless you consider the worst pedants on the site starting endless arguments about YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN THAT FREAK $200 BECAUSE HE HAS A SIXER FROM OL YELLER FOR GENOCIDE DENIAL to be good I guess).

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
As the budgeting goon from 15 years ago - I’d love to help with this in any way I could

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pillowpants posted:

As the budgeting goon from 15 years ago - I’d love to help with this in any way I could

Don't have him color code your graphs though :cheeky:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Amendments seem good to me.

yep

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pillowpants posted:

I remember you! You did really good work!! Fund Crew should definitely take Pillowpants up on this offer to help.

For what it's worth as a regular contributor, I think the amendments look great.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Amendments look good to me as well

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

They look good to me too, and I'm a frequent recipient (who needs help again this month, but it's more than $100).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

as a regular contributor, I agree with the amendments. thanks for bringing thought out proposals for consideration, I know that’s work.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Subscribed!

We need a stock ticker / spaghetti graphs so we can watch (some) number go up, maybe a cryptocurrency indexed to total GHC (goon help capacity ). You know, slurp apes, etc.

Never get tired of people doing good.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Amendments are good.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Taking the time while theres some eyes on this thread to have a quick mini-announcement. If you are a euro/canadian who wants to help people but cant donate to this because the irs will come calling, please PM me. We recently (and have in the past) gotten requests from foreigners which we can't satisfy. If you are willing to help, please let me - or another committee member know - and we can add your name to a list of people we will reach out to for these circumstances.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Why do you guys think the IRS cares if foreigners donate to the goon fund? My understanding of charitable organizations is it would only be a problem if they're on the OFAC sanctioned list...

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I forgot to open voting for the amendments yesterday, but people don't seem to have any objections. So, in lieu of having a dozen or so people vote aye, I move to have all amendments pass by unanimous consent - which requires a vote of 7 members. Voting was scheduled to go ahead for the amendments until the 7th, though my hope is once we get the 7th vote in favor of unanimous consent, we can end voting on the amendments 24 hours afterwards.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

Why do you guys think the IRS cares if foreigners donate to the goon fund? My understanding of charitable organizations is it would only be a problem if they're on the OFAC sanctioned list...

This, mostly.

I suppose that question doesn't preclude foreigners from sending money to the charity though, just from us sending money to foreigners. The research I have done seems to be ok on foreign donations, so I suppose as long as the donor base is predominantly american, it shouldn't ruffle the IRS' feathers.

As for another announcement - The fund has had a $125 limit for requests, and while we have been good on maintaining that for one time requests, recurring or frequent requests... we've been quite lax on. By this I mean, someone requesting like $200, receiving $125, and then requesting $100 about a week later. We've had a couple people receive well over the limit this way, and we've never really cracked down on this, but to keep the fund from giving too much to some with not enough for others - we will be more strict on this going forward.

TL;DR: The $125 monthly request is now a hard limit over all requests someone sends during a month. So if you request $25 on the 5th, you have and need $125 on the 25th, we may only give $100. The fund will ALWAYS be open for small dollar requests for food, so long as this isn't abused.

The committee is still debating as to whether to raise the limit to help compensate some people for this policy becoming stricter.

As always, members are free to give feedback and criticism on these new policies.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

:cheers:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
B and K are gonna declare this whole mess a terrorist organization and jail anyone who’s given or received, and likely myself for posting itt

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Terrorizing the rich by giving poor people food.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I was looking at the donation links... do you have a mailing address where I could just mail a physical check? Primitive, I realize, but as far as I know there's literally no fees on that.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Akratic Method posted:

I was looking at the donation links... do you have a mailing address where I could just mail a physical check? Primitive, I realize, but as far as I know there's literally no fees on that.

I am not of the Goonfund, but I requested to send a check and they sent me a PM, so it's doable.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Taking the time while theres some eyes on this thread to have a quick mini-announcement. If you are a euro/canadian who wants to help people but cant donate to this because the irs will come calling, please PM me. We recently (and have in the past) gotten requests from foreigners which we can't satisfy. If you are willing to help, please let me - or another committee member know - and we can add your name to a list of people we will reach out to for these circumstances.

if you get any UK goons come through please please send them our way, we're in a very heathy position right now and happy to help.

I'm terminally online so a DM to me wouldn't be a problem.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Akratic Method posted:

You don't have PM's, so email usgoonfund at gmail and I'll respond w/ my address

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Going to go ahead and close voting for the amendments since... it's been like 2 weeks without a single dissent. Below are the names of people who voted to approve the amendments, as 7 votes are needed to pass an amendment.

VOTING IN FAVOR
really queer Christmas
Second Hand Meat Mouth
Vox Nihili
GOD IS BED
Lord Zedd-Repulsa
JAY ZERO SUM GAME
docbeard

As such, the constitution is officially amended with the following clauses:

• The committee will have quarterly calendar meetings with an annual meeting in October (January, April, July, October).
  • The committee will be redefined to have 3 non working members and 5 working members. The 5 working members and 3 non-working members can overlap.
  • Any future members of the committee are required to give their name and address to the committee for the fund to keep record for the purpose of legal protection
  • Amendment to section 9 stating that a person must be a member of Something Awful for at least 6 months to apply. If they are under 6 months then they need to either be a recognized figure in the community, have someone vouch for them, or require some way to communicate with the committee to be able to state their case.

These amendments take into effect IMMEDIATELY.

Now then, for the fun part. Elections. Or well, nominations for elections.

The membership of the fund must now nominate the people they would like to see serve as the 3 non-working committee members (corporate board) and 5 working members.

The current non-working members are:

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS

The current working members are:

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS
DOPE FIEND KILLA G
TILER KIWI

As for who to nominate? Well you can nominate anyone on the something awful forums who fits as a member (must be registered for 6 months, can't be a banned/permabanned user, can't be a rereg of another person), and who wishes to serve on the committee.

We don't have a lot of guidelines for this, so I'll say if two people nominate you to serve, then your name will be on the ballot (you can nominate yourself and only need one other person). Per our constitutional rules, we need at least 5 nominations to finish voting, and if we get no more than 5 - then we will propose skipping the formal vote and concluding the election with the 5 nominees, with the same rules for the 3 non-working members.

Now then, here's a quick primer on what I think a nominee needs to be able to bring to the metaphorical table:

Artistry
If you're an artist that's great! Our google form is still the default colors/images. We have no logos on any of our merchant accounts like venmo. We have no associated colors and are otherwise functional if boring. A committee artist would also be able to help out with potential fundraisers like say a certain April fundraiser that we have still yet to finish up.

Tech wizardry
As mentioned, we use google forms pretty extensively, but an issue we have is people not knowing if they are approved/funds have been disbursed unless we send them a PM/email/text which we aren't the best at! If you want to spend time helping us get this quality of life up and running for requestors, it would definitely help them feel comfortable knowing that if they haven't heard from us - there's a way for them to still know what's going on without having to send us a message (which gets lost or forgotten about). We also do have a website which would be nice to have it be all pretty and functional and do things besides just link to the OP in this thread (also potential artists it'd be swell if you'd want to gussy that up too) .

Fundraising/Marketing
Kinda the Yin/Yang of charity. We need to market to people to let them know we can help them, but also we need to fund raise to make sure we can get the money to help people. We've done what we can, but someone who takes an interest or is good at this stuff would be useful to have around that would be willing and able to come up with fundraisers with fun prizes/ideas and some decent banner ads to get people to click.

Book keeping
This is a charity focused primarily on releasing funds to people to help. There's a LOT of tracking of money, disbursement, budgeting, and digital paperwork. I handle a lot of this currently, but even a second hand would be useful (or a single hand if I get voted out :v:). Filling this type of role will guarantee you access to privileged information like usernames of requestors, real names of requestors, contact information of requestors, and so on. As such, be ABSOLUTELY prepared to handle this type of information and know that if you gently caress up the handling of this, I will personally try to get you permabanned and the fund will try to seek restitution from you for damages.

Any of these roles may be called upon to fulfill requests, handle PMs from people, or otherwise handle some kind of sensitive information. So no matter what, you need to be the type of person that can 'turn off' your posting persona. You may see requests from people you don't like - you cannot let this affect your judgement and you DEFINITELY can't use this against them. You must be able to see the person behind the screen and judge that person fairly and with good faith. You must also not reveal anything that you may see on the other side in terms of personal information like usernames, payment information, emails, phone numbers, real life names, etc. If you don't think you can be absolutely perfect in this regard, please take a moment to consider if you are truly right for this type of role. I would also personally request that you not join for fun, and to instead join because you want to help and give back to the community or to just people in general - ie, don't join because you just want juicy gossip or to be a messy bitch.

As per our latest amendments, if you do become a member of the working committee - the committee must know your full name for the purposes of record keeping. HOWEVER, this will not be revealed to the general public. So if you had previously wanted to join the committee, but were afraid that doing so would mean you may have your real life name plastered across the forums... that is no longer a risk you have to take.

Now then, let's open up nominations to people. Nominations are to last for a week until November 14th, wherein the election vote will be held for a week thereafter. PLEASE BOLD YOUR NOMINATIONS TO MAKE IT A BIT EASIER TO COLLATE

I'll open by nominating to the non-working committee:
Kingcobweb
Speng31b
really queer christmas

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I nominate to the non-working committee:
Kingcobweb
Speng31b
really queer christmas

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Can we nominate and elect a poster who doesn't even know this thread exists? It would be very funny imo

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't know if I want to be officially on the committee, but I would be glad to help with artistic stuff... :shobon:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Legally speaking, thr members of the committee should be American, right?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Fajita Queen posted:

Can we nominate and elect a poster who doesn't even know this thread exists? It would be very funny imo

I would guess it wouldn't be very funny to the people running things who have to take nominations seriously. but I could be wrong

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a committee spot (note to self: acquire hat). My day job is financial analyst/database toucher bullshit so I could probably help out with the bookkeeping side, and I'm pretty accustomed to handling confidential information. And I like the work that you all do.

To make it formal, docbeard, in a fit of hubris, nominates himself

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I wanted to post to I show that I participate and believe w/general faith in what y'all are doing.

i hope i never have to post in C-Spam again.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

docbeard posted:

I'll throw my hat in the ring for a committee spot (note to self: acquire hat). My day job is financial analyst/database toucher bullshit so I could probably help out with the bookkeeping side, and I'm pretty accustomed to handling confidential information. And I like the work that you all do.

To make it formal, docbeard, in a fit of hubris, nominates himself

I'll second docbeard.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
nominate for re-election, assuming they want to go another year, for working committee:

KINGCOBWEB
SPENG31B
REALLY QUEER CHRISTMAS
TILER KIWI

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I do also want people to be aware that we are having cash issues again. We are down to about $340 in the bank and only have about $300 coming in for the next few days. We currently have 4 active requests, one due on the 15th and the other 3 on the 30th, so there isn't a big rush but I'm letting people know in case you see a freakout message from me in the coming days.

We have also had to deny a couple of requests recently that would normally have been paid on were we not cracking down on being strictly $125 for 30 day period.

Siegkrow posted:

Legally speaking, thr members of the committee should be American, right?

I don't think so? You're signing up to be a volunteer not an employee so there isn't any US govt work authorization required. As always, if someone comes in with the answer I will defer to them but based on my understanding it should be fine.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

My monthly donation expired because I canceled the card it was on, what's the best way to renew it? The expiration email has an "Update billing information" link that goes to usgoonfund.com which doesn't have anything about fixing it.

Just redo the Stripe donation monthly maybe?

speng31b
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

my bony fealty posted:

My monthly donation expired because I canceled the card it was on, what's the best way to renew it? The expiration email has an "Update billing information" link that goes to usgoonfund.com which doesn't have anything about fixing it.

Just redo the Stripe donation monthly maybe?

yeah, you can just make a new one. if the old card died stripe will automatically give up on billing it

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You can also try this link to see if it helps you. But yeah, stripe is set to automatically stop if it can't collect on the first go for bank or card. (With people being set up on banks now, I didn't want it to try and run it twice and make people accrue NSF fees).

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

You can also try this link to see if it helps you. But yeah, stripe is set to automatically stop if it can't collect on the first go for bank or card. (With people being set up on banks now, I didn't want it to try and run it twice and make people accrue NSF fees).

this worked, updated autopay card and paid the October invoice, thanks!

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I have a decent amount of free time and lots of knowledge of relevant things to try to improve request handling, website, and other tech stuff in general.

I'm totally fine helping with that not as a board member, but if I'd have to be a board member to do so then I'm ok with that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

We've only got a couple hours left for nominations and currently it seems to be "Run it back" but replace dope fiend with Docbeard is in the lead with no opposition (unless Skyl3lazer is throwing his hat in the ring). To formalize it, I will second the nominations of everyone so far. If anyone is on the fence - now is the time to get off before I close things some time tomorrow morning.

Skyl3lazer posted:

I have a decent amount of free time and lots of knowledge of relevant things to try to improve request handling, website, and other tech stuff in general.

I'm totally fine helping with that not as a board member, but if I'd have to be a board member to do so then I'm ok with that as well.

Send a PM to speng to discuss the website stuff as that's his wheelhouse. If you want to help with our request information and streamlining that, I feel like we will need to create some kind of NDA if you are not going to become a committee member since you will see private information from users.