Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ummel posted:

They're taking strategic points currently, it seems like. They're definitely going for the hospitals, because of course that's where the Dr Evil lair of Hamas is located. But IDF also claims to have taken the Gaza parliament and police HQ. Attacking the hospitals has already gave them the "benefit" of the health ministry not being able to report casualties.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-proclaims-it-has-captured-hamas-parliament-government-seat-and-police-hq/

They won't be clearing empty buildings. They'll try to capture the strategic ones. Anywhere not important (to them) with resistance in it will be bombed to rubble before any infantry even dismount. In my opinion, I'm not sure they'll care to stick around to clear apartments blocks they haven't destroyed if there's no active resistance coming from them. They'll just leave after achieving whatever goals they claim, then raid back in when they feel like it.

They have to clear buildings as they go. Every seemingly empty building they don't clear could be a future surprise attack from behind.

That's exactly why urban combat is so notoriously difficult for attackers. There's tons of hiding spots and cover for defending troops to set up advantageous engagements. And even if you bomb the city until every single building is nothing more than a pile of crumbling rubble, that rubble still makes for pretty good cover and hiding spots.

Tunnels also combo notoriously well with that - even if troops thoroughly clear a building, if they miss a well-hidden tunnel exit then they still could end up with a surprise attack showing up behind them.

No army ever wants to go house-by-house, thoroughly searching booby-trapped buildings and painstakingly clearing out each and every last nest of defenders in constant bloody close combat with limited fire support. But whenever an army tries to skip that step and just speed their nice shiny tanks straight down Main Street to the enemy HQ, they inevitably end up paying for it, no matter how intensive their preliminary bombardment was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/14/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-attacks-displace-700000-children-in-gaza

Israel is making more threats to destroy the hospitals in Gaza regardless of whether or not patients and innocent civilians are hiding inside them.

quote:

As Israeli attacks in the vicinity of al-Shifa Hospital continue, Israeli military spokesperson Daniel Hagari has threatened that hospitals across the Gaza Strip could lose their protection under international humanitarian law.

Israel claims that Hamas uses the hospitals as military bases, a claim the Palestinian group and international medics who have worked in the hospitals deny. The Israelis have presented no hard evidence to support their claim.

“In recent weeks we have stressed, again and again, that because of Hamas’s use of hospitals for military purposes, [the hospitals] will lose special protection in the international court,” Hagari said in a press conference.

Israel does not have the authority to make decisions on whether international humanitarian law is applicable and human rights groups have repeatedly called on Israel to not attack hospitals, where patients continue to be treated.

Unfortunately there is really nothing that can be done about this. If Israel wants to destroy these hospitals and kill tens of thousands of innocent people at once, there is nothing in place to punish Israel afterwards. Can only hope that this is a line that even they will not cross, as barbaric and bloodthirsty as they are.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
https://twitter.com/frumtiktok/status/1724190213717585993?s=46

that time when your rabbi goes viral (in the bad way) for her prayer at the rabbis for ceasefire rally yesterday because she's 1) a woman, 2) latina, 3) wraps her tallit in a non traditional way, and 4) weaves english into her prayers

ugh i'm so angry rn

e:

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The "kol isha" text at the bottom of the tweet is a warning that the video contains the singing voice (kol) of a woman (isha) so men can avoid it.

yeah im aware. like i said, she's *my* rabbi

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 15, 2023

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

aBagorn posted:

https://twitter.com/frumtiktok/status/1724190213717585993?s=46

that time when your rabbi goes viral (in the bad way) for her prayer at the rabbis for ceasefire rally yesterday because she's 1) a woman, 2) latina, 3) wraps her tallit in a non traditional way, and 4) weaves english into her prayers

ugh i'm so angry rn

For those who might not know, the "kol isha" text at the bottom of the tweet is a warning that the video contains the singing voice (kol) of a woman (isha) so men can avoid it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nail Rat posted:

There's no way they'll be allowed to return, officials have said multiple times "the territory of gaza will decrease"

Israel will probably put a new fence south of gaza city and start bulldozing the rubble for new settlements.

That statement has generally been in the context of "we would like to establish a dmz in northern Gaza. On Gazan land, of course, not Israeli." which is plenty bad enough in an already wildly inadequate amount of space without fantasizing about the permanent erasure of Gaza City

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

I said come in! posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/14/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-attacks-displace-700000-children-in-gaza

Israel is making more threats to destroy the hospitals in Gaza regardless of whether or not patients and innocent civilians are hiding inside them.

Unfortunately there is really nothing that can be done about this. If Israel wants to destroy these hospitals and kill tens of thousands of innocent people at once, there is nothing in place to punish Israel afterwards. Can only hope that this is a line that even they will not cross, as barbaric and bloodthirsty as they are.

Is this why the US was saying their intelligence said that there was a "node" in the hospital too? Basically giving the go ahead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

E2M2 posted:

Is this why the US was saying their intelligence said that there was a "node" in the hospital too? Basically giving the go ahead.

Exactly, the U.S. is just trusting Israel at face value, we have no way to independently verify anything Israel is saying and don't care to.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

That statement has generally been in the context of "we would like to establish a dmz in northern Gaza. On Gazan land, of course, not Israeli." which is plenty bad enough in an already wildly inadequate amount of space without fantasizing about the permanent erasure of Gaza City

I also wouldn't be shocked if Israel decided to maintain a long-term presence in the currently-occupied area south of Gaza City. There hasn't been any particular indication that they're going to do that, but I think it suits Israel's strategic needs very well.

Dividing the Gaza Strip in half and establishing checkpoints to control the movement and goods and people between the two halves is very similar to what they already have a ton of practice doing in the West Bank, and it would substantially limit Hamas' military capacity in the northern half of the Gaza Strip while also giving Israel even more control over the ability of important goods there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Main Paineframe posted:

I also wouldn't be shocked if Israel decided to maintain a long-term presence in the currently-occupied area south of Gaza City. There hasn't been any particular indication that they're going to do that, but I think it suits Israel's strategic needs very well.

Dividing the Gaza Strip in half and establishing checkpoints to control the movement and goods and people between the two halves is very similar to what they already have a ton of practice doing in the West Bank, and it would substantially limit Hamas' military capacity in the northern half of the Gaza Strip while also giving Israel even more control over the ability of important goods there.

That's a disgustingly plausible take, tbh. Smaller versions of that have been utilized in the West Bank to what I'm sure the IDF would describe as great success, as you say.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Apparently Israel has started part two of the Al-Shifa siege. Al-Jazeera has live coverage of the hospital, in the event that they break through this time. It's available through twitter, but I'd advise against embedding it in case something nauseating happens.

As a brief reminder, Al-Shifa does have an underground compound...because Israelis designed said underground compound. In the event that they break into the hospital and successfully gun down the doctors, keep that in mind if they show you a dark room with nothing in it.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Heard stories on the radio today, one a straight idf take (with audio from an IDF guy) on the storeroom with suicide vests and more under a children's hospital. They (npr I think) did admit they could not independently verify.

Then later a story on the event in DC that went straight from solidarity and support to Israel (no ceasefire!!!), to concern and recognition for the hostages.

But of course that makes no real sense considering what Israel has done. And the IDF is completely discredited as discussed. So I'm frustrated at the news and trying to consider my bias or whatever, but you know what? It's right there (the truth not my bias! -edit) lol -edit

It's insane. And editorials and conversations often have to be preempted by a full support of Israel and its right to defend itself, or aid to israel/Ukraine, before sheepishly mentioning... humanitarian aid.

I'm not really angry at the reporting, if anything they put it right there for you. If you've been paying attention you probably already know how you're going to hear it.

And nobody wants to actually talk about it. "They've been fighting for a long time."

Sincere anecdotal layman post, sources likely NPR, not trolling.

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 15, 2023

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It really is quite incredible; the IDF, within the span of a month, has done just about everything that we've ever used to accuse another group of doing to justify sanctions/invasions/bombings, short of dropping Anthrax over Gaza. And it's been filmed and photographed. And our response has been to parrot whatever talking point the IDF is hiding behind at that moment.

It cant be stressed enough the amount of damage this is doing to relations outside the imperial core. They're morons, but a lot of middle classers in these countries genuinely believed that America followed some sort of Rules Based International Order, and we've willingly just gone "Nope!" to all of it. It's not even like this was necessarily forced upon us; we could have easily done the usual waffling and saying "We support a two state solution, we call for a ceasefire, Israel has a right to defend itself" bullshit while supporting them behind the scenes. They don't even have the blanket of "oh, the bad party is in power, it's obvious that this would happen", this is supposed to be the "sane" party.

No gore, just complete insanity:
https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1724579145064083784

Don't look at the rest of her posts, if you're averse to the obvious.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 15, 2023

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

They have to clear buildings as they go. Every seemingly empty building they don't clear could be a future surprise attack from behind.

That's exactly why urban combat is so notoriously difficult for attackers. There's tons of hiding spots and cover for defending troops to set up advantageous engagements. And even if you bomb the city until every single building is nothing more than a pile of crumbling rubble, that rubble still makes for pretty good cover and hiding spots.

Tunnels also combo notoriously well with that - even if troops thoroughly clear a building, if they miss a well-hidden tunnel exit then they still could end up with a surprise attack showing up behind them.

No army ever wants to go house-by-house, thoroughly searching booby-trapped buildings and painstakingly clearing out each and every last nest of defenders in constant bloody close combat with limited fire support. But whenever an army tries to skip that step and just speed their nice shiny tanks straight down Main Street to the enemy HQ, they inevitably end up paying for it, no matter how intensive their preliminary bombardment was.

Generally, I'd agree. But Israel is incredibly risky averse to IDF deaths. Would they lose more men to death vs injury by never dismounting and shelling any building deemed a threat? Or would they lose more doing building sweeps?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

It's hard to know what's bullshit and what isn't, but Israel's reported goal of permanent and complete disengagement from Gaza would seem to preclude this possibility. A significantly expanded no-go/death zone on Palestinian land without crossings or utility connections probably seems to Israel like a sustainable solution (for them) that the world will learn to live with.

Of course it would be better if this shitshow prompted a rethink in Israel about the need for a truly sustainable settlement with the Palestinians, but I can't see Israel doing anything other than building a bigger border with a larger garrison and even looser rules of engagement in the short to medium term.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Strangest wartime propaganda I've ever seen, and I've seen some weird poo poo:

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1724392576516600204

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Habibi posted:

Israel is a loving weird place holy poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Ethnonationalism takes you to some strange places.

Palestinians have something that could be comparable at face-value to this, in the form of indefinitely detained Palestinians smuggling sperm to their wives, which is also weird but at least has, you know, consent. Both partners want a child and hope to one day raise the child together.

Twitter replies bring up how obscene the inverse of this would be considered (husbands harvesting the eggs of their dead wives to provide them with children), which really drives home how bizarre this is to anyone who isn't in Israel.

Anyways, the IDF have allegedly prioritized removing Journalists from Al-Shifa first and foremost, which is a good sign that you're going to hear about massive war crimes or incredibly incompetent propaganda. Probably both.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ummel posted:

Generally, I'd agree. But Israel is incredibly risky averse to IDF deaths. Would they lose more men to death vs injury by never dismounting and shelling any building deemed a threat? Or would they lose more doing building sweeps?

Typically, the IDF does sweeps. If they sweep buildings, then at least they're fighting at a time of their choosing with forces of their choosing. If they don't sweep or surround the building, then they're opening themselves to being surprise-attacked at a time and place of the militants' choosing, which is almost always worse than just dealing with them in the first place.

Moreover, with decades of urban combat against insurgent militants under their belt, they've had enough practice at them that they've added a couple pages of their own to the playbook there, such as the use of heavily-armored bulldozers to lead the charge against suspected strongpoints.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Habibi posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/373590355351855104?t=W3z4E_1i1qy2sYqDg-wjvQ&s=19

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Anyways, the IDF have allegedly prioritized removing Journalists from Al-Shifa first and foremost, which is a good sign that you're going to hear about massive war crimes or incredibly incompetent propaganda. Probably both.

I am scared to know how they are being removed, by the military that has a history of murdering journalists.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Habibi posted:

Even beyond the bizarre "we must preserve our soldier's geneseed" weird poo poo, surely it would be easier to just take a sample from all soldiers to freeze than it would be to send out Sperm Team Six to "recover" it on a case by case basis.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I certainly didn't expect to find out about the IDF Cum Retrieval Unit when I woke up today.

https://twitter.com/PotatoButtplug/status/1724509389468336348

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
E: Misinterpreted

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Habibi posted:

Doesn't the Torah state that his brother needs to gently caress her and get her pregnant? I mean, that's the whole thing with Onan, which is used to say that you can't polish the bishop, right?

I mean, that's pretty gross but it's better than a dedicated "jerk off the corpse" unit.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Testekill posted:

I certainly didn't expect to find out about the IDF Cum Retrieval Unit when I woke up today.

https://twitter.com/PotatoButtplug/status/1724509389468336348

Sending out the finest troops to suck off dead and dying soldiers to bring home the cum.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I don't feel like getting perma'd for posting porn in d&d so just imagine that I did the Jordon person Chinese dick sucking room meme, but as idf info on a secret underground hamas torture room.

Seriously though what the gently caress. How much more of a disparity in credibility of threat do you need when one side shoots piss rockets and the other side has a dedicated thirst trap cum retrieval division.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Newfie posted:

Sending out the finest troops to suck off dead and dying soldiers to bring home the cum.

drat it, he’s empty, hamas must’ve gotten to him first

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

PenguinKnight posted:

drat it, he’s empty, hamas must’ve gotten to him first

Biden is sending in our most hardened men to shore up Israeli cum operations. They’ve sent a legend. He was called the Fastest Fluffer in Fallujah…

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Newfie posted:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Neurolimal posted:

As a brief reminder, Al-Shifa does have an underground compound...because Israelis designed said underground compound. In the event that they break into the hospital and successfully gun down the doctors, keep that in mind if they show you a dark room with nothing in it.

Do you happen to have a link to that?

~~~~~~~

Separately, the line I saw get trotted out today was that Israel has been targeted with more UN resolutions than any other country.

Which is true, but also most other countries don't have the backing of a permanent Security Council member and regularly commit crimes against humanity.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

Israel built, will Israel destroy? A glimpse of Shifa Hospital in Gaza, built by Israeli architects

quote:

Separately, the line I saw get trotted out today was that Israel has been targeted with more UN resolutions than any other country.

Which is true, but also most other countries don't have the backing of a permanent Security Council member and regularly commit crimes against humanity.

This is probably true, but yeah, it's because Israel has a sugardaddy to veto the same motions multiple times; easy to run up the score when chunks of the figure are the same condemnations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jaxyon posted:

~~~~~~~

It's also one of the only countries to maintain an illegal military occupation (by current international law standards) for more than 50 years. It's like a murderer being upset that they're getting more prison time than the average citizen.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Seeing half a dozen injured babies twitching like bugs you stepped on by accident along with Dr. Mads Gilbert addressing the world while people in the background are howling in pain convinced me not to watch any more footage of this. We are witnessing the liquidation of ghettoised people in realtime and do nothing about it.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
AJA interviewing those escaping the hospital:

quote:

Sources from within Al-Shifa Complex for Al-Jazeera:

The occupation is conducting an inspection inside the hospital and interrogating the young men there.
Israeli military tanks are located inside the hospital courtyard.
The occupation army calls through loudspeakers for young men to surrender themselves.
The occupation arrests a number of displaced people and the families of the martyrs and wounded.
Occupation soldiers are inside the buildings amid heavy fire in and around the hospital.
The sources added that the occupation army blew up a warehouse of medicines and medical devices inside the hospital.

quote:

The emergency supervisor at Al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza after the occupation forces stormed him:

The situation is tragic, and every day we lose more lives.
The occupation detained many of the displaced people while they were blindfolded and stripped of their clothes, and took them to an unknown destination.
The occupation blew up most of the hospital gates, and shrapnel scattered among those present.
We did not see any of the occupation's claims of bringing new milk or incubators.
We could not move the bodies because of the decomposition of the bodies.
The occupation brought terror and destruction, but did not bring new incubators.
We do not hear clashes, only shooting from the occupation army.
There is no armed person in the complex.
The water is cut off and there is not a drop of water in the complex.

Multiple days of siege, with IDF casualties and lost vehicles, so that they can rampage, terrorize, and interrogate people who are literally dying.

Besides the obvious needless barbarism, nothing of value has been obtained here. It's possibly the dumbest military operation in modern history. Israel has taken casualties going to war with an unarmed hospital.

The only possible plan I can think of is that Israel is going to choose targets so pointlessly abhorrent, so incredibly cruel, that Hamas soldiers willingly expose themselves from the actually dense Gaza areas to try to stop them.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 15, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
edit: Wrong thread

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 15, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Neurolimal posted:

The only possible plan I can think of is that Israel is going to choose targets so pointlessly abhorrent, so incredibly cruel, that Hamas soldiers willingly expose themselves from the actually dense Gaza areas to try to stop them.

I imagine they expect a portion of those prisoners they are "interrogating" will eventually confess to be Hamas militants involved in the organization of the Oct 7th attack.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvQn7ZzGWQ

I've been blessed to have not seen or listened to Gantz prior, but this doesn't look like the face of a state minister who's successfully taken out a Hamas command base.

A Mansour, an Egyptian journalist who was on the ground at Fallujah and is disliked by the US-backed regime in Egypt, seems to agree, and has taken up a hobby of body reading:

https://twitter.com/amansouraja/status/1724742314382262463?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

quote:

Gantz delivers a defeat speech. He did not say anything of value and evaded all questions, especially regarding the storming of Al-Shifa Hospital. His statement that victory is linked to the cohesion of the Israelis means that they are disunited, fighting, and failure surrounds them everywhere. His body language is full of shame and disgrace, and he wipes his nose several times in a lowly manner. ⁧‫

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

he's not wrong, but I'm definitely going to throw around the phrase "a lowly manner" quite a lot from now on

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

When it comes to Israel assuming the worst is the null hypothesis. We should instead search for signs they might find a way to show restraint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

Doesn't the Torah state that his brother needs to gently caress her and get her pregnant? I mean, that's the whole thing with Onan, which is used to say that you can't polish the bishop, right?

Yes with three qualifiers:

-They're supposed to get married, not just have sex.

-This only applies if the widow is childless (so, not in this situation).

-it's highly encouraged but not an obligation, the brother can refuse, in which case there's a ritual (halitzah) involving his shoe, described in Deuteronomy. Today the levirate marriage never happens, it's always the shoe ritual. But legal authorities maintain it has to be a all-leather shoe in a specific shape so Rabbinical authorities will pay dearly to obtain and maintain a such a shoe. The ritual happens about 1-2 dozen times a year in Israel, maybe half that often throughout the diaspora.

aBagorn posted:

yeah im aware. like i said, she's *my* rabbi

Yeah but not everyone in this thread has a rabbi. Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to explain to you, I edited to clarify that this was just for anyone who might not know.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 15, 2023