Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

May I please get a recommended brand & size for a brush that is good for shading / contrast paints?

Go big and don't spend too much on it. You don't need a super precise tip to slop on the inks and contrast and the contrast especially has a habit of creeping up the fibres to ruin the brush especially if you're loading your brush heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

Go big and don't spend too much on it. You don't need a super precise tip to slop on the inks and contrast and the contrast especially has a habit of creeping up the fibres to ruin the brush especially if you're loading your brush heavily.

You can mostly prevent this by getting your brush damp before dipping it in the contrast paint. Soak it in your clean water cup, then dry it off on a paper towel. There'll still be water up in the ferule which will help keep paint from being pulled up in there.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can mostly prevent this by getting your brush damp before dipping it in the contrast paint. Soak it in your clean water cup, then dry it off on a paper towel. There'll still be water up in the ferule which will help keep paint from being pulled up in there.

I keep my brush damp as a matter of course (drat poor Raphael QC and splitting brush tips) but I still wouldn't wanna risk doing a full one thick coat slop job with it. Halfway up the belly at most for me. If I wanna slop it I get the old brush out.

It is a bit tricky since proper contrast application needs to be somewhat precise so there's a balance to be had.

Or accept the risk and just replace brushes. I'm getting through about 1 size 1 every 1-2 years (at top performance) which is fair enough by my standards. It can go on forever as a secondary brush.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Contrast paint sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to use, because apparently the medium used in it likes to separate from the pigment and you have to shake it a ton before trying to apply it.

Otherwise it comes out thick and shinny as I found out.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lostconfused posted:

Contrast paint sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to use, because apparently the medium used in it likes to separate from the pigment and you have to shake it a ton before trying to apply it.

That's why vortex mixers are nice

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Lostconfused posted:

Maybe I'm just in really deep, but this is pretty much all paints if your not using them all the time

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

I said come in! posted:

May I please get a recommended brand & size for a brush that is good for shading / contrast paints?

I've been quite happy with these in a size 1 for just about everything I do, including a lot of Contrast paints.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NN38NTW/

Lostconfused posted:

The amount of shaking will depend a lot on which color. Some have lots of bits that separate, some stay homogeneous forever. Even just by hand it's usually only a couple of minutes. I'd mention a vortex mixer again but I don't want to stir (lol) things up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

I have most of the popular Contrast colours and I have not had any of them separate. Some of the technical paints have a habit of separating - my Tesseract Glow and Soulblight Grey both separate if unused

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well I could be wrong, the citadel paint I got is incredibly shinny and I have no idea why.

Searching the internet said that's because they separate, so I assumed that's true.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Z the IVth posted:

I have most of the popular Contrast colours and I have not had any of them separate. Some of the technical paints have a habit of separating - my Tesseract Glow and Soulblight Grey both separate if unused

the ones which have white pigments in them will separate out pretty badly, and there's more than you would think with them. But 10 seconds on the vortex mixer makes them fully homogenized

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Apothecary White definitely separates pretty badly but it also reintegrates well. It takes some vigorous shaking but probably less than a minute's worth and you don't have to do it all in one go. I haven't noticed anything as dramatic in any of the other ones I have, maybe a tiny bit of settling here and there but nothing that doesn't mix back in almost immediately.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I just thought about trying it out because I have no idea where to go with this paintjob.

It feels like it needs another layer of paint but not sure which color, or even what effect to aim for.

Then again I didn't even know what contrast paint was supposed to be when I picked it up on a whim.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The folks on Eavy Metal Archive only use them occasionally as alternatives to shades, with the exception of Gor Fur or whatever, which is used on almost all Gold

Edit: I finished off my Grots with some that I bought and wanted to use, will post wip later

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

I just thought about trying it out because I have no idea where to go with this paintjob.

It feels like it needs another layer of paint but not sure which color, or even what effect to aim for.

Then again I didn't even know what contrast paint was supposed to be when I picked it up on a whim.

Slap some gold or brass on those Aquilae and then hit the model with some Nuln Oil and see how you feel. I think that's really all it needs to bring it together.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I keep forgetting to pick up some brass colored paint for details.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

I picked up a Masterson's wet palette when I was getting some brushes, and I have no drat idea why they bothered to include palette paper with it. Paper towels and parchment paper work so much better, It's not even funny.

Probably because the paper that comes with Mastersons palettes are meant for canvas painting using super heavy body acrylics. Toss the paper and use parchment and enjoy your very nice palette.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Contrast paints do dry more of a satin to shiny versus non-contrast GW paints that are more matte to satin. So it is correct that contrast paints are "shiny" to some degree even when properly mixed.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Eej posted:

Slap some gold or brass on those Aquilae and then hit the model with some Nuln Oil and see how you feel. I think that's really all it needs to bring it together.

edit: nvm, there are contrasts in there I think...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

tangy yet delightful posted:

Contrast paints do dry more of a satin to shiny versus non-contrast GW paints that are more matte to satin. So it is correct that contrast paints are "shiny" to some degree even when properly mixed.

I think you might not be mixing your contrast enough because mine dries matte - certainly washing with contrast vs washing with the old non-gloss washes gives you a much more matte finish.

I don't particularly care as I adjust my matte/gloss manually with varnish after but it's my observation.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Virtual Russian posted:

edit: nvm, there are contrasts in there I think...

There's only Astra Militarum Green contrast on the pants and jacket.

As mentioned I only picked it up based on the name and had no idea what it was. After I did a quick search on what it was, I decided to see how it would work as a second layer on top. I'm mostly happy with it but was surprised with how shinny it made those parts look, which was unexpected.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

I think you might not be mixing your contrast enough because mine dries matte - certainly washing with contrast vs washing with the old non-gloss washes gives you a much more matte finish.

I don't particularly care as I adjust my matte/gloss manually with varnish after but it's my observation.

Eh maybe I'm thinking of different paint brands that I've mixed on a model that also had contrast and not GW paints (side note I thought I've also heard a former GW employee talking about contrast paints saying they are a bit satin at least but couldn't tell you where that was now), but I vortex all my contrast so it's not a mixing issue but maybe some paint brand or linguistics going on here. However I definitely have paints that are more matte than the GW contrast line.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

He's not finished but I think I'm pretty happy finally settling on Trans Hyperion. I still didn't like GWs official guide and I ended up slapping some honest to god like 29 year old orange wash on him and it was the last little bit to get the orange looking like high viz gear

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looks good, I really like his angry red nose haha

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Been working on this crazy thing for a while. Really enjoyed how detailed it is. I feel like I could keep poking at it forever and never be done. I’m not great at pics but here’s it is.

Ork Trukk!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Ork aesthetic is so good, great paintjob!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
That thing was a blast. What are the other good Ork models? In for a penny in for a pound.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WIP

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So I'm looking at this and...

I need to do details on helmets and shoulder pads? They don't even have big convenient borders like space marines, it's just a flat edge.

Also boots, boots are important, especially if they contrast with the base.

And like only half of the face is visible at best, tip of the nose and the mouth.

Dunno, maybe tone down the guns a bit with a dark wash and add some shadows to them.

Going to have to figure out how to do terrain on bases at some point in time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Man this guy was a slog but he's done! I like his head so much I hight replace his knife arm with a bugger weapon and make him squad leader.

I'm so happy with him. He's a lot better than my first Squat just a few months ago.. uhh this guy

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i appreciate that you gave him the nose of an alcoholic

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I'm so happy with him. He's a lot better than my first Squat just a few months ago.. uhh this guy

he looks really good, you're deservingly proud

btw this guy is like a smack of black wash, two easy touchups, and a base treatment from looking very solid

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

My Spirit Otter posted:

i appreciate that you gave him the nose of an alcoholic

It was a missed opportunity not to give the Votann tactical hip flasks as an accessory.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You absolutely get hip flasks with Hearthkyn, I should probably give him one

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Ten bone boys done

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

finished Immortal Hulk and Doc Ock

i think hulk's kind of a mess but i had a few people tell me he looks good so im like :confused:
probably good enough to just move on i suppose. gotta get all these duders painted after all
but i think doc ock turned out well

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hulk has the same benefit as Orks. If you get the general colors and shapes right nobody can tell which parts are wrong and which ones are supposed to look like that.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Looking good Imperium buddy! I am painting mine up in my chapter colors. Oddly enough I have never painted a blue space marine!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I painted some more little dudes. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't. I'm gonna go out and get vallejo paints. It'd be great if they had like a starter set.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

i think hulk's kind of a mess but i had a few people tell me he looks good so im like :confused:

I bet it would look better to you if you cleaned up the base rim. having a visible ragged edge makes it easier to focus on what you did (inevitably imperfect) rather than how it looks (very nice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

unicorn robit