Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

phew well at least that's one bullet dodged this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
ooh i saw one in the wild

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/davidpgoldman/status/1721862509756575882

president xi committing violence against number

why is no one doing anything about the genocide of oppressed landlords

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Finally, claiming as some do, that there are many “types” of genocide, and Israel is, for example, committing “cultural” genocide, is equally problematic. Regardless of how the term is applied, it is clearly heard and impacts a large audience who hear it as the legal term intended to convey the most awful of human crimes – mass murder and population expulsion – a charge that is misapplied to Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

I saw this statement from the ADL today and thought about the Asia thread for no particular reason.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I saw this statement from the ADL today and thought about the Asia thread for no particular reason.

lol, lmao

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

vibes based genocide

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/pplsartofwar/status/1724651589829267526

quote:

Second this. I've been saying this for awhile. China is leading the way in practical GenAI applications. I've seen enough with clients. I've seen some very interesting demos - and they blow US stuff out of the water.

The big one? Using GenAI to optimize factory worker allocation. If a workers are sick or unable to work? They can ask the system to find them some. Even by speciality.

It will then generate a list of teams who have current workers. Then allow the manager to request them. While suggesting realocation from the manager they take took them from.

Another one I saw tested? Generative executive dashboards. It changes the dashboard design based on the metrics requested. Creates a unique one.

If the user wants to continue to use it? It saves it. While asking them for the parameters if they need to generate more.

These are ones I can talk about btw. There's a bunch more that insanely impressive. It won't take software or data engineers or data analysts jobs. But drat will it make them reskill.

china's using ai as excel solver+++

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

my company (speaker company) has used ai to create a version of chat gpt that you can ask health questions to and it will give you healthcare advice. lol.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

isn't this basic linear programming, job shop scheduling etc. ?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mawarannahr posted:

it sounds like a constraint solver

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/beacupin/status/1724669141142196577

hey, who makes the "Soltam M-71 artillery"?

quote:

The M-71 is a 155 mm 39 caliber towed howitzer manufactured by Israeli company Soltam Systems.

ah...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Somebody is going to get those European 155mm shells

Also

https://twitter.com/nextdoorsv/status/1724608159581405398?t=x9_W3k9mULF4KEnUAYOQFA&s=19

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Agree that homelessness in the USA will not be resolved until the Chinese government is permanently stationed in every neighbourhood

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Agree that homelessness in the USA will not be resolved until the Chinese government is permanently stationed in every neighbourhood

presinald xi…

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

is Xi even spending that much time in SF? I read they were having talks all the way out in filoli gardens in woodside

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lol i assume this was part of the price that they extracted for xi to agree to meet with biden?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lmao liberals are furious at "US bowing to china" and the possible lifting a sanction. like insanely mad

quote:

Joe Biden and Xi Jinping are set to announce an agreement for China to crack down on the manufacture and export of fentanyl, the primary culprit in a synthetic drug epidemic blamed as the leading killer of Americans between 18 and 49.

Bloomberg reported that under the deal – which the US and Chinese presidents are still finalizing – China would go after chemical companies to halt the flow of fentanyl and the source material used to make it.

In return, Biden’s White House would lift restrictions on China’s forensic police institute. China had long questioned why the US would expect cooperation in the battle against fentanyl when the US government had placed restrictions on the institute.

Last year the US reported 110,000 overdose deaths from synthetic drugs, with more than two-thirds linked to fentanyl, a potent opioid.

Fentanyl is up to 50 times stronger than heroin and is increasingly mixed with other illicit drugs, often with lethal results.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has said that fentanyl largely comes to the US from China, through drug cartels in Mexico.

Authorities say fentanyl can be created and distributed more easily than plant-based illicit drugs, which required large-scale enterprises to cultivate and market.

The fentanyl announcement is scheduled for Wednesday when the two leaders are set to meet on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit in San Francisco. The White House did not respond to request for comment on the deal.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

fart simpson posted:

my company (speaker company) has used ai to create a version of chat gpt that you can ask health questions to and it will give you healthcare advice. lol.

there was a study where people doing telehealth rated their outcomes with an AI doctor on par with real doctors. BUT when it came to expressing empathy, the AI blew the actual doctors out of the water (i absolutely choose to believe this is valid but also that it says a lot more about telehealth and doctors than it does about AI)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

eSports Chaebol posted:

there was a study where people doing telehealth rated their outcomes with an AI doctor on par with real doctors. BUT when it came to expressing empathy, the AI blew the actual doctors out of the water (i absolutely choose to believe this is valid but also that it says a lot more about telehealth and doctors than it does about AI)

A hospital in NL (Groningen) has started using AI, stating this exact reason. It was announced in the media this week.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The AI probably doesn't default as much to 'you're fat and/or pregnant'

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The AI probably doesn't default as much to 'you're fat and/or pregnant'

It also probably doesn't start with the premise of "prove to me that you are sick"... gently caress you!! You are the doctor!! What the gently caress

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's time to proletarianize doctors. let the productive forces develop to the point that being a doctor is like working at mcdonalds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mantis42 posted:

it's time to proletarianize doctors. let the productive forces develop to the point that being a doctor is like working at mcdonalds

a medical school in every backyard

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Taiwan’s opposition KMT, TPP agree to joint ticket in presidential race

I honestly didn't expect them to come to an agreement. They'll announce who's top the the ticket and who's the running mate on Saturday.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mantis42 posted:

you been to the hospital yet in shenzhen?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

OhFunny posted:

I honestly didn't expect them to come to an agreement. They'll announce who's top the the ticket and who's the running mate on Saturday.

huh, interesting

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

OhFunny posted:

I think Kou finally agree to take 2nd and let KMT's garbage Hou take 1st. Like he had slightly better poll going into the alliance negotiation but he just couldn't get the morons in KMT see the much bigger potential of the 3rd party ticket (or even do a take turn to be president arrangement which IMO is fair, and Hou is 2 yr older). And president Ma being the mediator give Ko enough face to walk down the stage and take the 2nd. Its good for his party but his party is only him 1 person so its not so much good for him.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hou's on first

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

mawarannahr posted:

operational research, operational research data science

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mawarannahr posted:

This sounds like poo poo I learned how to do with pen and paper in uni operations class and what I implemented in a previous logistics job with some excel sheets. At the time I figured that if you gave every line foreman a tablet and did some basic programming to link in with the clocking system you could have them assign and request personell off of each other in real time, basically removing the jobclocking as something the workers have to do and changing it to something the foremen have to do. Combine that with a skills matrix (which I also implemented in excel) and then I guess "AI" can search everything together to make suggestions if there's a shortage at one station based on clocked in personell and general performance metrics at other stations. Never got to implement the tablet part, but apparently some other sites owned by the same company in other countries did something like that.

Basically sounds like that's what's happening in China? And like, yeah, that's very much not nothing and getting people used to doing things their own way for decades (based on gut feeling and no data whatsoever) to use basic Excel and Access tools was a lot more work than it sounds just typing it out, but it's not exactly revolutionary either?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Nov 15, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regarding Xi's visit to San Fran:

based on what I heard on the Chinese podcast and different sources, I think this is Xi's one last attempt (maybe not the last, but its going to be one of the last) to negotiate some kind of competition agreement with the US. In the American lingo, they are the "guardrails" for the non military areas.

The thing is, I don't think Biden has the clout to have a say on such long term agreement. Xi and Biden met in Bali and Beijing has repeatedly say in diplomatic language that Washington had not followed up on the promises Biden agreed on in Bali (4 "no"s and 1 no-intention: "does not seek 'a new cold war,' does not seek to change China's [political] system, does not seek to oppose China through strengthening alliances, does not support Taiwan independence, has no intention to enter into conflict with China.")

To the US political elites, promises are just word salad in a piece of paper. Like Biden's goonies will say yes yes yes to get Xi to meet to Biden and get that 5 extra points of polling boost for his re-election, that's 80% of Biden's purpose of meeting Xi, to have that photo op, and the 20% is just doing the bare minimum to get Xi to come meet him again the next time. China know this, but Xi is still going through the motion of making Biden make these promise and casually ignore them afterward, to show the world Beijing have tried. China is doing this for the SEA region and the US business sectors.

China doesn't mind engage in full spectrum competition with the US, but prefer no to because there are plenty of areas the US and Chinese business can work together to make money globally. Like EV battery is for example one place China and US can work together but its looking like the congress will cockblock it. So Beijing wants to know if the US will continue use the "national security" excuse to forbid US companies to work with Chinese companies. From the Chinese POV, the capital class own the US law makers, it's very perplexing to China that the political arm of the US elites will continue stab on their own business arm to make very short term gain. Like they can easily tune down the anti-China rhetoric to make Sino-US business collaboration easier in the background. The way Washington is using "national security" as a stick to beat down on any Sino-west business deals in the semiconductor area, they can bring that stick to anything hardware and software tech related if Washington follow that same "logic".

And like I said, Biden doesn't really have a say in all these area, so I get a feeling Washington will continue to use the sanction stick in tech and likely continue to push for some hard conflict (in SCS for example). The US tech industries, which has been pretty friendly to China collaboration, will finally see the light that there is no way to make long term money with China. And the only way to make that last bucket of money with China is to sell the tech to China via a third party.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

a medical school in every backyard

I'm still reading it but it's interesting. The author is wrongly skeptical of the chemical warfare claims, but otherwise basically seems to know what they are talking about.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I was at a social gathering this past weekend where a bunch of joe rogan style idiots were inventing insane things to get mad at china about, i thought "Deng Qi Ho Te" and started laughing but they didn't get it

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

not before computer touchers

no one is taking anyone down before those fuckers get theres

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/KRON4WTran/status/1724840746719560073?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

not before computer touchers

no one is taking anyone down before those fuckers get theres

Turn on your monitor

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/TouhouHijackLOL/status/1723905905660473653

Incredible things are happening in China.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

Turn on your monitor

dont know how...

if only there was someone i could ask

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I was at a social gathering this past weekend where a bunch of joe rogan style idiots were inventing insane things to get mad at china about, i thought "Deng Qi Ho Te" and started laughing but they didn't get it

Joe Rogan idiots? Pfft you ain't heard poo poo till you've encountered a Sam Harris stan irl.