Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The worst part about that is I can hear in my head the accent with which a German would pronounce "racewars" and it's grating as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Portugals PM resigned over corruption suspicions irt green EU funds like the lithium exploration, but news outlets running that the public prosecutor might have mixed up the name of the minister of economy with the PMs lol
He still did it tho

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

sitting German politicians (governing coalition, not AFD) letting the mask fully slip and using Nazi terminology in conversations with the press

https://twitter.com/benwritesthings/status/1723974815277584494

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

webcams for christ posted:

sitting German politicians (governing coalition, not AFD) letting the mask fully slip and using Nazi terminology in conversations with the press

https://twitter.com/benwritesthings/status/1723974815277584494

This came up in the other thread, but that's some Hitler-channel brain at work. The Nazi language was "rein" as in clean, but here it's "rein" as in exclusively. The alternatives listed in that article sound much worse to me.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

genericnick posted:

This came up in the other thread, but that's some Hitler-channel brain at work. The Nazi language was "rein" as in clean, but here it's "rein" as in exclusively. The alternatives listed in that article sound much worse to me.

it's possible, and I'm looking into it on German twitter, but how translations of words sound in another language, without historical and cultural context, isn't a good basis for sounding better or worse.

"richtige Deutsche" and "echte Deutsche" are indeed steeped with racism and cultural chauvinism, but they're in current parlance, just like you'd hear in English "true Americans" or "real Americans"

"rein" has a historical meaning associated with Aryan race pseudoscience, and a professional politician would know better than to put that word in front of "Deutchen"

e: plus "nur" is much clearer, as is "lediglich" and "bloß"

Berliner Zeitung uncritically reproduced Feldman's quote and sense of "rein" as in "[racially] pure"

webcams for christ has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Nov 14, 2023

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

genericnick posted:

Except that’s not how you use the “rein” as in “exclusive”. Using “rein” in the word sequence used by the politician implies a lack of purity or cleanliness.

The most charitable interpretation is that that politician’s command of the German language is a bit poo poo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

it's possible, and I'm looking into it on German twitter, but how translations of words sound in another language, without historical and cultural context, isn't a good basis for sounding better or worse.

"richtige Deutsche" and "echte Deutsche" are indeed steeped with racism and cultural chauvinism, but they're in current parlance, just like you'd hear in English "true Americans" or "real Americans"

"rein" has a historical meaning associated with Aryan race pseudoscience, and a professional politician would know better than to put that word in front of "Deutchen"

e: plus "nur" is much clearer, as is "lediglich" and "bloß"

I mean to me they sound much worse in German and I wouldn't really have thought of any NAZI association, because the use of "rein" as not only is pretty common. Don't disagree with the rest of the article.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

morothar posted:

Except that’s not how you use the “rein” as in “exclusive”. Using “rein” in the word sequence used by the politician implies a lack of purity or cleanliness.

The most charitable interpretation is that that politician’s command of the German language is a bit poo poo.

Why? If you want to say that your job isn't only touching computers you could say "ich bin kein reiner Programmierer" without it sounding awkward at all. Maybe that's a regional difference, but I'd certainly use it like this.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

"bin nicht nur Programmierer" is how I would say it, or locally "bin nid nume en Programmierer"

anyway, can you really go wrong by overestimating the racism of Germans Euros?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

"bin nicht nur Programmierer" is how I would say it, or locally "bin nid nume en Programmierer"

anyway, can you really go wrong by overestimating the racism of Germans Euros?

It's the safe assumption for sure, and the rear end covering is certainly disgraceful.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol germany is such a shitshow

https://twitter.com/dw_politics/status/1724494152824393915

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

we knew this was coming since BSW was announced but lol, lmao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

king fail country on the fail continent

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
End of the line for SYRIZA as apparently most of their youth contingent in Thessaloniki has left the party, with more to come.

https://www.ekathimerini.com/news/1225248/majority-of-syriza-youth-in-thessaloniki-departs-from-party/

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
they can join the kke

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nobody has joined the kke since 1990. it'd be funny and cool if they got a bunch of new blood

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/BesDMarx/status/1726316057479266455

i say swears online posted:

nobody has joined the kke since 1990. it'd be funny and cool if they got a bunch of new blood

:pray:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is very weird to me that syriza somehow ended up with a leader who volunteered for biden while studying in the US in 2008

you'd think that this was disqualifying on its face

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

it is very weird to me that syriza somehow ended up with a leader who volunteered for biden while studying in the US in 2008

you'd think that this was disqualifying on its face
Obviously they were trying to institute a gerontocracy in the US in the vein of the USSR of the '70s, in the hopes of the US meeting a similar fate.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Just doing a google image search for kke has a pretty young mix. Here's some voter data from almost a decade ago. I was curious because I remembered them protesting arms shipments to Ukraine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Danish government's parliamentary majority was wobbly for a few days as one of the Moderates' MP's was discovered having a "romantic relationship" with a child half his age, which led to his exclusion from the party. He is now shopping around for a new party, but they've all so far refused him, even the Social Democrats whose Foreign Minister until December 2022 had done literally the exact same thing with a child the exact same age (15) in 2008. He has also been reported to the police for grooming, but it's doubtful anything will come of it since her parents are apparently cool with the whole thing. :suicide:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SplitSoul posted:

Danish government's parliamentary majority was wobbly for a few days as one of the Moderates' MP's was discovered having a "romantic relationship" with a child half his age, which led to his exclusion from the party. He is now shopping around for a new party, but they've all so far refused him, even the Social Democrats whose Foreign Minister until December 2022 had done literally the exact same thing with a child the exact same age (15) in 2008. He has also been reported to the police for grooming, but it's doubtful anything will come of it since her parents are apparently cool with the whole thing. :suicide:
The crazy thing is, the parents are Kofod and the girl from the last case.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The really crazy thing is that I can't tell if you're joking or not.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

A Buttery Pastry posted:

rough chuckles

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

men ska vi ikk voksenmobbe stephensen så han osse må trække sig

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mobning ftw

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Carthag Tuek posted:

rough chuckles

That's a great name for a hospital clown.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SplitSoul posted:

That's a great name for a hospital clown.

Sounds more like a clown that sends you to the hospital

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds more like a clown that sends you to the hospital

Nah, his name's Yoav Gallant.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's almost time! is geert gonna make it in government after a quarter century?

also loving lol at that dumb farmer party

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

it's almost time! is geert gonna make it in government after a quarter century?

also loving lol at that dumb farmer party

any of those not rear end?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

genericnick posted:

any of those not rear end?

Bij1.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

you ever get the impression that multi-party democracy just doesn't work

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Venomous posted:

seems like it is doing exactly what it was supposed to do

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Venomous posted:

as opposed to one party, zero parties?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Bourgeoisie democracy isn't democratic, no.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Venomous posted:

No! NO! That's IMPOSSIBLE!

Oh hey, Swedish PM just Freudian slipped that Israel had the right to genocide.

Vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Carthag Tuek posted:

as opposed to one party, zero parties?

Swiss style direct democracy

hold up
*holds finger up to ear*