Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

nrook posted:

Listen, four dozen times “Coming soon,” four dozen and one times shy

The "Coming soon" actually got updated with "Coming in 8.2" for the Blessing/Burdens and "Coming in v9" for all the old cards that didn't have flavor/lore. It kind of seems like Version 9 will be the "lore" update that finally adds/finishes the story for each of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wow, only 2.5% of players have done "beat a run without using any of the 3 starting characters" in cobalt core? I would've expected more than that seeing as it unlocks a ship.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

goferchan posted:

I didn't really "get" what the Tower mode in TVRUHH was supposed to add to the game by reading the previews, but by god, the dev has added yet another fun and interesting way to play the game. Insane. The blessings and burdens keep things spicy while being much less predictable than the typical power curve of accumulating permanent gifts. I definitely beelined to radiate some of those burdens though because I never want to blind-pick certain ones again, lol.

Yeah, some of them are hilariously rude. The one that causes me the most problems is "get some helpers that damage you if you fly into them", but the one that's funniest is definitely "automatically panic just after getting hit".

I think my best Towers run so far is the one where I got the "your shots are super inaccurate" burden + the "shots wrap around" blessing, which meant that any shot that missed would just keep circling around until it hit something and the entire screen would eventually be filled with bullets.

Broken Cog posted:

On another note, Quickplay in TVRUHH sure is a grind and a half, huh

IIRC, Quickplay was originally added as the "I love grinding, but I know that a lot of people don't, so I'm going to isolate most of it to this mode" mode. Personally, I dip it into occasionally to practice a specific boss or get a specific unlock (in particular, there are a lot of monster-specific dreams that don't need to be done in story mode, and can be done very easily with carefully designed QP builds) but have no intention of trying to max out its upgrades or get radiant on every monster in it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Personally I think the tetrid system in TVRUHH is a really elegant way to combine high score stuff with currency mechanics in a way that is very flavor and vibes with the setting of the world. Unfortunately i am the only person who reads the lore on the cards.

I love the lore! I wish there was more of it, though. The Towers are cool but 9.0 is the update I'm really looking forward to, and when it hits I'll probably start a new save file. For the same reason, I basically haven't played Story mode since early 7.x versions, but whenever my daughter plays it she plays Story and finds at least one cool event I've never seen before, so I have a lot to look forward to there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

LazyMaybe posted:

Wow, only 2.5% of players have done "beat a run without using any of the 3 starting characters" in cobalt core? I would've expected more than that seeing as it unlocks a ship.
I see a lot higher than that.

Can someone spoil me on how many times I need to beat the game to unlock the seventh character? I'm seven wins in and getting kind of bored.

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

No Wave posted:

Can someone spoil me on how many times I need to beat the game to unlock the seventh character? I'm seven wins in and getting kind of bored.

I got it before I got the "win 10 runs" ship, but the runs don't need to be complete successes to count, so it might be "10 runs that count" and I had a few incomplete runs that progressed it. It's counting successful kills of the first boss, I'm pretty sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

No Wave posted:

It varies a lot, but just keep beating the first boss. When she says one of these loops I'm going to join you then you're 1 or 2 runs away from it

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

LazyMaybe posted:

The other characters all play much less straightforward than the starters do. Plus the game ain't that old.

I have a pretty easy time with everyone I have unlocked, but almost all my losses were with Max. What's infuriating is I know he's good, and he can break the game in half, just reading his cards, but it's still necessary to get lucky with him.

Nonetheless, the three non-starter characters I have that aren't Max seem like the easiest to make good, so even if they're not straightforward, they're still kind of absurdly strong.

But then again, I don't know if I would call any character weak.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Small Cobalt Core patch just went out:

quote:

BALANCE CHANGES:

Table Flip and its upgrades are all 1 energy cheaper
Quick Thinking B now draws +1 card, but exhausts
Math.Max B no longer gives -1 energy next turn, but exhausts
00-A Mining Drill now caps at 9 shots per cannon

GRAPHICAL CHANGES:

Gave 00-A Mining Drill a unique pilot
Put back a pixel that went missing

BUG FIXES:

Progress bar fixes!
Artifact #87 is correctly marked in the codex now. (If you’ve already seen the game’s finale, you may need to do it again to properly mark this as seen.)
three cards have been removed from the codex temporarily, as they're not accessible at this moment
added one card to the codex that should have been there already
Event #26 has been correctly added to the pool
In total, this should mean players can properly get 100% on all progress bars now
Spawning objects inside of a wall now immediately destroys them
Fixed a bug that caused Scrap Armor to sometimes not trigger correctly
Shield and Temp Shield are no longer considered statuses.
Mechanically, the only impact of this is that Boost’s “add X to your next status” will not be added to Shield or Temp Shield
Fixed a crash from doubling Total Cache Wipe’s effect with Zero Doubler. Feel free to double this card all you like, now
Fixed a weird niche bug where Buried Relic’s self-boost could sometimes be unstunnable

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh nice. MathMax and quick thinking were outlier offenders for infinites (being 1-card 0 artifact infinites with the starter deck) so those are good hits.

(Glad I already beat hardest and cleo though.)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Welp, there goes the one way I actually managed to get Max to work.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I'm okay with that, Math.Max B was the easiest infinite in the game basically by itself.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i never understood how to use it infinite... but i guess that just shows how bad i am at these games :pram:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Your Computer posted:

i never understood how to use it infinite... but i guess that just shows how bad i am at these games :pram:
If your deck is 10 cards (either naturally or via exhaustion using that admin card), you use it. And that's it, you're infinite if you have basic shot upgraded to cost 0 energy. Still possible by removing exhaust from it via that max artifact but even that makes it much less consistent early.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I didn't have infinite with it, but I did usually get two cycles of it as well as the zero cost Peri item which raises damage

Max does fun bullshit, but it seems by and large to be worse than just doing normal actions.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I had the jupiter drone ship and in quick succession got:
the “drones pierce” artifact
two copies of aggressive armoring, one preupgraded
upgraded quick thinking

no infinites but an easy 12-24 damage on any given turn, more with already deployed drones. the jupiter ship breaks the game in half with any cheap card draw and good attacks. they should make “jupiter’s moons” single use and add a copy back next turn so you can’t trivially redraw it and multiply your damage so quickly

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
It's pretty crazy how jupiter drones just stack up to deal your damage and effects over and over again

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I mostly just don't run that ship, it just makes the game feel too trivial.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

an iksar marauder posted:

It's pretty crazy how jupiter drones just stack up to deal your damage and effects over and over again

Honestly, I prefer just having the Jupiter Drone card and an actual gun, but I definitely see the appeal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I really like the movement burdens and damaging-helper burdens in The Towers. I normally sail my way through the bullet patterns on reaction and instinct, so it's actually changing the gameplay quite a lot for me when I have to think about dodging my helpers too, or when I have to actively avoid stopping in place for too long.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Veryslightlymad posted:

Welp, there goes the one way I actually managed to get Max to work.

Admin Deploy B has been my most consistent value Max card. It's pretty much a non-exhausting energy cell assuming you've got a good number of 2 or 3 cost cards in your deck. I prioritize upgrading it since it will affect how many of the more expensive cards I end up taking as rewards. Honestly the only "build" I haven't been able to get to work that well is Isaac drone spam. He always ends up being second fiddle to someone else for me.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Isaac drone spam with bubble shield spam is stupid, the drones never die so you never take any damage

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

man this year has no chill even for indies

was diving into Roboquest, then Astral Ascent dropped, now Skul has dlc coming out in a few hours

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

How's Skul btw? I've heard complaints about unavoidable damage

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is anyone else playing We Who Are About to Die? It's fairly simple and has gotten some flak, but I've been enjoying it a lot recently.

Any tips beyond the basics? I feel like Heirloom is super helpful for giving subsequent characters a significant example in the early game, but not sure if it's better to gift a good helm for fame/protection or a 1h sword or ace for damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Azran posted:

It's a fun game with a lot of cool gameplay stuff but aspects of it designed in a kind of stupid and irritating manner.

The biggest annoyance is that the final boss is several orders of magnitude more difficult than anything else in the game and has multiple phases where he only gets harder, and he's at the back rear end end of a run which can take a couple of hours, and if you die to him there's no retries, so actually getting practice on him is extremely time consuming and irritating and most people beat him for the first time just because the game happened to roulette an unbeatable god run into their hands.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Reik posted:

Admin Deploy B has been my most consistent value Max card. It's pretty much a non-exhausting energy cell assuming you've got a good number of 2 or 3 cost cards in your deck. I prioritize upgrading it since it will affect how many of the more expensive cards I end up taking as rewards. Honestly the only "build" I haven't been able to get to work that well is Isaac drone spam. He always ends up being second fiddle to someone else for me.

Yeah, I like that one too. It used to always be a binary choice between it and Math.Max B, which is another annoyance; Max's two best cards work at cross purposes.

The ironic thing is Isaac is probably my favorite character. You don't really need to spam drones. You just use the first one as ablative chaff that also deals damage, and you deploy a Jupiter Drone when the opportunity is too good to pass up. The 0 cost card that moves the midline AND draws a card is lowkey one of the best cards in the game, IMO.

I pretty much only buy new drones if they're already upgraded or a Jupiter Drone. I'd only consider taking more if I were also playing with Riggs and had Ace.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Death Roads just hit 1.0 and while it's still a fairly slim game they have done a good job polishing the base gameplay.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1619570/Death_Roads_Tournament/

Frankly, personally I just really like the presentation of that game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I enjoy it too. It has a lot of the same things going for it that Cobalt Core does, but it has an extra axis of movement, and it's got the skid mechanic. Checks a lot of the same boxes.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Wow, you guys weren't kidding about Jupiter, it's absolutely disgusting. Especially with the relic that makes the drones free, lmao

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Triangle Wizard 2 v1.3 The more overt hat tip update to the atypical way the game handles what it respects and/or enjoys:

https://www.trianglewizard.com/post/new-triangle-wizard-2-version-1-3

quote:

Continuing the porting of the last few missing gameplay elements from the predecessor, in this version Raziel and dimensional travel make a return. In addition, a new class and race which use dimensional travel features. And of course a few bug fixes.

* Dream Image spawning by Euphoria was missing a particle effect. Fixed.
* Corrupted Sigils were missing a glow effect. Fixed.
* Stunned status effect visual would sometimes jump up in the air. Fixed.
* Added the Syron race.
* Added the Planeswalker class.
* Added the Syntropic shrine.
* Added Raziel, the Soul Reaver to the pantheon of deities.
* Summon spells can no longer be cast outside the level.
* Added tools to travel to other planes and dimensions.
* Zombies created by the Zombie Lord's aura could still drown. Fixed.
* When angry, Pharmakeus will now also sometimes make enemies throw potions at you.
* Many wishes are now instant and will resolve immediately without need to prime them.
* Wishing for health or the removal of diseases is now more expensive (but instant).
* Added The Astronomicon unique item.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Is anyone else playing We Who Are About to Die? It's fairly simple and has gotten some flak, but I've been enjoying it a lot recently.

Any tips beyond the basics? I feel like Heirloom is super helpful for giving subsequent characters a significant example in the early game, but not sure if it's better to gift a good helm for fame/protection or a 1h sword or ace for damage.

I played it only when it initially was released into EA, so this advice may be outdated since I played.

This is a basic tip, but the game does kind of a crap job of teaching you - learning how to swing fast (and thus hit hard) and hitting with the sweet spot for your weapon is extremely critical. Even if you can only get a single maneuver from a single direction working reliably, there is a tremendous difference in damage between the random flailing you'll do in the beginning vs a solid clean hit with your whole body involved. Doing this properly includes turning your hips to get more rotation speed, and you can't use the lock-on camera for best results - you want your character's body turning with the swing!

The #1 most important piece of equipment is your weapon. Combined with the previous tip, killing the enemy quickly before they have a chance to attack you is the easiest and safest way to avoid dying and avoiding damage taken means avoiding the need for expensive healing between fights, letting your money go towards training and upgrades. A high-damage, large, two-handed weapon is ideal - I had an heirloom axe that carried me through many runs - although there are one-handed weapons that are also fine. Thrusting/stabbing weapons were always way more dangerous in the AI's hands, as it's hard to generate a lot of speed with them and they tend to suffer from hitting the enemy's weapon and being blocked a lot. Looking at it, top-tier (Godly and Masterwork) items can't be passed down anymore, but a solid starter weapon is still huge. I don't recommend actually taking any 1vMany fights, but if you do, being able to quickly 1 or 2 shot enemies is key to victory; otherwise you'll get overwhelmed.

Train stamina and movement!

For the match traits, spoils to the victor is usually crap but early on can be a way to get a decent free sword while your gear is poo poo. Otherwise, avoid Luck of the draw - it tends to screw you over, and especially once you have a decent kit it's not worth the potential of getting a fight where the enemy is tossed a good weapon while you're stuck with a bunch of lovely sticks and planks. Prestigious and Insurance are more or less meaningless; Insurance won't return a weapon that breaks mid-fight (unless that's changed), and Prestigious is less gold now, where it'll help you win the run, and a pittance to your next character, who might be the wrong background (and you lose it if you reroll looking for the background you want).
Shrouded is a huge loving trap meant to trick you into taking on unwinnable fights.
Entourage fights are there to give you slightly easier combats late-game once you can afford the 12k gold (and 8k fame) upgrade - the free fighters are generally crappy with poo poo gear, but they can distract an enemy long enough for you to get a good cheap shot in and one or two good hits from behind should be all you need to kill anyone with a good weapon.

The best armor is hellaciously expensive, but protectiveness outweighs all other concerns. You can get fame easily by winning fights; losing a fight ends your run. High-tier armor rarely has fame penalties anyways, but it's not worth worrying about fame penalties - protection is best. The stamina penalties from armor are offset by training to have more stamina.

Training - you should be aggressively training stamina early on, as much as you can afford - surviving the first few battles with large penalties is worth gaining the ability to continue training aggressively in the future without noticing the drawbacks. Secondary training is also extremely cost effective, typically only requiring an additional set of training gear for about 50% training efficacy on a second stat. Your priorities should be stamina first, then movement, then dashing/dodges. Afterwards, train whatever weapon type you're using and/or shields if you are using one and consider reducing the intensity of training as the fights get harder. Don't use being trained in a particular weapon type as an excuse to turn down a good weapon as a reward, though - single-digit skill with a fantastic weapon is always better than high skill with a crap weapon.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Azran posted:

While I haven't played any of many of the recent updates, I'll chime in and agree with what Kanos said. I'll just add that when I played, it was a combination of metaprog being both strong and taking a while to get but also the fact each boss was a hard check not just for build but also metaprog. They are also old school patterned bosses that you need to practice and get good at dodging.

And then you get to the final boss, and for some god awful reason the only thing the devs have ever done to him is make him *harder* then he was at release, where he was still a massive hurdle. Maybe they changed that trend a bit in their patches that I haven't played, but it sounds like the same issue with him hasn't changed.

edit: it's still a fun game mind you, but the bosses are all the optime of "git gud"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah Skul is a good game, but the bosses will almost always shitstomp you the first time you encounter them because you a) need to know their patterns and b) often need to plan your build in advance a little bit (the bishop or whatever is pretty bad for this, I find that some skulls tend to eat poo poo to her because they can't consistently attack her without facetanking through her projectile spam in the second phase). This is especially true of the endboss; if the regular bosses want you to think ahead about how to beat them while you're clearing their respective levels, the endboss wants you to be thinking about how to beat him for most of the game. He really is an absolute motherfucker of a difficulty spike.

The grind in Skul is kinda bad early on unfortunately, but once you've gathered a couple of key upgrades it gets drastically better - you snowball faster, get further, and come back with way more resources with which to unlock more stuff. Once you have all the unlocks, all that's left is the extra bonus starting goodies (which cost such a pittance that you will easily buy them every run) and the goofy optional aesthetic upgrades to the evil castle, which don't do anything and are just for fun.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So it's a bit of FTL endboss and Rogue Legacy 1 bosses, gotcha (got 2 recently but haven't gotten to any boss yet so no idea if that's better!)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Won't spoil but RL2 does not have that issue.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm kind of hemming and hawing on how I feel about Cobalt Core. I've done a couple runs and I really like the characters and the art style, but certain aspects of the presentation are real turn-offs(no card art is pretty bad from both a "this is pretty to look at" and from a "this is what i have in my hand at a glance" standpoint), and being able to easily cruise through several runs of increasing difficulty settings without having any experience or knowledge about the characters/ships/cards/upgrades I'm grabbing is very concerning for it remaining interesting once the initial rush of unlocking new stuff peters out, especially since it doesn't look like there's all that much stuff to unlock.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's definitely not designed to be a 'forever game' like STS, for better or for worse. I think it's fine personally that once I get all the memories I'll be done with it unless they release DLC.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ravenswatch update out with new hero Sun Wukong. Also an overhaul to the difficulty system, new co-op features, and bunch of QoL tweaks.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2071280/view/3713840347002602217

Sun Wukong feels really fluid to play. He's big on parries if you're into that sort of thing, but you also don't need to be to enjoy him (like me).

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
My main personal problem with Cobalt Core is that the card complexity is very low, when I'm currently on a Touhou Lost Branch of Legend kick where I feel like the card complexity is in a nice sweet spot - roughly the same or one step higher than Slay the Spire.

I do like the narrative aspects of it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Blade Assault is 80% off for a bit right now, putting it at $3.59. decent if simple platformer.