Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I genuinely think single draft is the platonic ideal Dota game mode. Making hosed up team comps kicks rear end. Dota, like every other UMS game shouldn’t be that serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Half the items Dota are cribbed from pso lol

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Smythe posted:

I genuinely think single draft is the platonic ideal Dota game mode. Making hosed up team comps kicks rear end. Dota, like every other UMS game shouldn’t be that serious.

SD owns because the less agency you give the general Dota population over their draft the better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The true best mode used to be random draft but then they hosed it up by doubling the draft pool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

The true best mode used to be random draft but then they hosed it up by doubling the draft pool

yea RD was godly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

causticBeet posted:

SD owns because the less agency you give the general Dota population over their draft the better.

this

e: love to play games with a practical pool of 10 meta heroes,. FTW. PSYCHE

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

IcePhoenix posted:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
at least it's back down to 30? or so now but nobody plays it anymore, rip

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I like the idea of Turbo mode because I play less Dota these days but every time I've tried it I'm just left in the dust because my old dumb brain can't really recalibrate to the Turbo timings of stuff.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

SD Turbo would be awesome

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
In WC3 days -apem was by far the most popular mode

Which was kinda like turbo

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

ILL Machina posted:

I kinda get it though. The pace and income is all hosed so heroes that have earlyish timings have a very small window to pull something off. And you don't have a lot of room to keep a game close. Like if early game is kinda even in a normal game, you can win and lose a couple fights and the snowball isn't as inevitable.

That being said, turbo is fun. I feel like games are still only like ten minutes shorter on average, though. Had a bunch of them go way longer than I thought they should.

people who force the game to go longer by retreating when the entire enemy team is dead should go to The Hauge. it's not very turbo of them

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I always point this out if an enemy team is prolonging a game of turbo that is long over. Did we not queue for fast games? What are we doing folks?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I coach the herald boys in turbs and they are regularly 45 minute plus affairs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the funniest part of people prolonging turbo games is that those games can flip so easily half the time the team that was way ahead ends up losing

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Moonshard + Deso and you can backdoor the throne as CM in 10 seconds

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Regular games can flip easily too

Feel like about half the games where my team is behind all game, we still manage to pull off a defense at the t3 towers to pull closer to even and then it's just do we have the discipline to play safe, save buybacks and defend again (no, never lol) or decide we need to smoke out of base and take a fight somewhere we have no vision and lose for sure (it's always this)

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Like at least 50% of the population of turbo matchmaking is people who pick cores but have terrible mechanics so even with increased gold income they need 45 minutes to get items. And the reason turbo sucks is that this will very often work out for them since “pick super greedy late game lineups and stall” is a brain dead easy and valid strategy in turbo.

Edit - I’ll still play it and have friends that will usually only play turbo, but I promise you they get just as mad at turbo as they do when they concede and play normal all pick

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 12, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

The towers have like 5 hp yet, no one wants to hit them they want to get that second rapier

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Turbo stalls for the same reason normal dota stalls, people win a teamfight and then instead of pushing an objective or taking control of the map they just go farm.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Smythe posted:

dota is an easy game for morons

Beef posted:

:yeah:

Thread title right there

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Why are people like this allowed to earn MMR when we inevitably drag them to victory:
https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/7436307402/chat

Sometimes you get out of a game that should have been extremely fun and exciting but man this one guy just seemed so intent on ruining the game for us.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Superrodan posted:

Why are people like this allowed to earn MMR when we inevitably drag them to victory:
https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/7436307402/chat

Sometimes you get out of a game that should have been extremely fun and exciting but man this one guy just seemed so intent on ruining the game for us.

are you making sure to report for toxic chat ingame? there's real-time chat scanning now that mutes people for the remainder of the game if 3+ people rep them and they've been saying negative things

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

NtotheTC posted:

are you making sure to report for toxic chat ingame? there's real-time chat scanning now that mutes people for the remainder of the game if 3+ people rep them and they've been saying negative things

I most definitely did. I also know at least one other player did too.

The report mute actually mutes them forever for anyone in the game, oddly enough. Basically the "forced mute" also mutes them from your menu, and that mute persists across games. I've run into people in games that were muted, and I never manually mute anyone ever (even to the point where if I see someone muted I unmute them)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

You’re complaining about some dickhead being a toxic rear end in a top hat and, in the next breath, sharing that you go out of your way to unmute known dickheads. 🤔

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

When I load into a game and see I have someone muted, I usually un-mute them and give them a second chance.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

DNK posted:

You’re complaining about some dickhead being a toxic rear end in a top hat and, in the next breath, sharing that you go out of your way to unmute known dickheads. 🤔

Being a toxic rear end in a top hat goes beyond flaming most of the time. Regardless of whether or not I had him muted he was going to spend the time and energy talking in all chat instead of playing the game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Today I learned Dota is a CPU-Bound game. I upgraded my 5 year old video card to a modern one and I was expecting like 300fps.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yep, the AMD 3d cache CPUs are the most relevant upgrade for Dota

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is anyone else playing this new BroDotA arcade game that can help me understand the equipment system

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

Today I learned Dota is a CPU-Bound game. I upgraded my 5 year old video card to a modern one and I was expecting like 300fps.

This is true across all Source games, CPU will pay bigger dividends than GPU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I had no GPU for a few weeks last year, was surprised I could maintain 60fps @1440p on whatever poo poo settings

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

At one point it was a pretty high priority to Valve that Dota2 be able to run on weaker computers and they did a pretty good job of ensuring that for awhile.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

Is anyone else playing this new BroDotA arcade game that can help me understand the equipment system

Oh cool it’s dota brotato

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dota runs fine on my roughly 8 year old i5, it’s Path of Exile that grinds my cpu into dust

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Geight posted:

At one point it was a pretty high priority to Valve that Dota2 be able to run on weaker computers and they did a pretty good job of ensuring that for awhile.

Cosmetics revenue is a hell of a drug.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DNK posted:

Oh cool it’s dota brotato

Yeah it's fun but I still have no idea how anything but the basic gameplay works lol. I got all these equipment and relics and no clue what they're really doing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Had a couple really nice NP games, I stomped the lanes, I'm getting way better at last hitting. The problem is late game I have a hard time keeping an eye on my hero, and not just feeding. Maybe the trick for NP is to build some attack range so you can sprout, and then right click from a distance? I'm not sure but I'm getting to a point where I can easily win an early game, but then late I start to throw it away.

I also had a horrible game on Riki. I did OK in the lanes, but then when I started hunting supports I just couldn't kill them. What's the build for an early game assassin Riki?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

NP's one of those "anything can work" heroes. You can build him very right click oriented and fight/gank, lots of people like Shadow Blade for the utility of ghosting away while you wait for Teleport to come off cooldown (or TP in somewhere safely). You can ignore the 9 other people in the game and just push buildings. You can go more utilitarian with Scythe of Vyse or Orchid. It depends heavily on both personal preference and what the rest of your team comp looks like.

I don't really play Riki, so other than "Diffusal Blade + Smoke Cloud and eventually a Skull Basher" I'm not sure what more to say. Dota2ProTracker suggests "typical agility carry items" such as Diffusal, Yasha, and Manta. If the enemy supports are smart and build tankier support items + Force Staff to push themselves out of your cloud though there's not a ton you can do, but ideally you should be dunking on them before they have 2 items built.

edit; oh and I still lose my hero in the fray of combat all the time lol. 30's + pothead aren't great for fast paced games like DOTA :v: It's a skill you'll develop, but I imagine it happens to a significant chunk of the playerbase.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nature's Prophet's one of those heroes that force you at any moment to decide whether it's better to fight with your team or push a lane instead. Sometimes staying out of the fight, and choosing to make a Dota 2 game a single player one is a winning strat. It's called ratting, a less-than-honorable tactic that wins games.