Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poured everything into a super team because he wanted to get a ring before he died, watched it crumple into a heap of poo poo that couldn't even make the postseason, then died. You could spin it as a compelling tragedy or comedy, depending.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm kidding, every single player they pay real money to except Soto has a NTC so they're stuck.

If the new ownership starts tearing down what they can I think the guys on NTC's will have plenty of incentive to waive them and get off the sinking ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No wonder he was signing all those decade long contracts with terrible backends last offseason.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Preller told him he was going to hire Nevin to replace Melvin and Seidler dropped dead on the spot. RIP

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I don’t think this is triggering a sale or much change in the short term, they were already planning to cut payroll and move Soto this winter.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I don’t think this is triggering a sale or much change in the short term, they were already planning to cut payroll and move Soto this winter.

The biggest change is probably with Preller's job security. He was Seidler's guy and that's why he's lasted so long. Another disappointing season and the hedge fund guys taking over will probably axe him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That’s a good point, Preller is much more vulnerable now

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf, but also I'm going to start donating negative money to campaigns and just retire from the 9 to 5 job.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Preller told him he was going to hire Nevin to replace Melvin and Seidler dropped dead on the spot. RIP

https://twitter.com/annieheilbrunn/status/1724502587742068910

Time for them to reconsider.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shohei the money!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

All 7 players who received QOs declined them. Ohtani, Bellinger, Chapman, Nola, Snell, Hader, and Gray.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Got confused for a second about Chapman then realized you meant Matt lol

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sydin posted:

Poured everything into a super team because he wanted to get a ring before he died, watched it crumple into a heap of poo poo that couldn't even make the postseason, then died. You could spin it as a compelling tragedy or comedy, depending.

Wait when did we start talking about the Tigers

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Got confused for a second about Chapman then realized you meant Matt lol

Aroldis would probably accept a $16,575,000 raise

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wait when did we start talking about the Tigers

Ausmus and Nevin do have a lot in common.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Aroldis would probably accept a $16,575,000 raise

He couldn't get a 4 year deal with team opt outs for that at this point

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How many more times is that piece of poo poo going to get carried to a World Series victory? It’s insane to me that he was an active hindrance to the Cubs 7 years ago and somehow still made postseason rosters and pitched important innings this year, never being very good at any point in between

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Gonna be fun watching bawfuls defending him for 7 months after the Dodgers sign him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'll give him this, I've never seen bawfuls defend the string of criminals, sex pests, and fascists that keep passing through the Dodgers' clubhouse.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers famously back out of trading for him after the domestic violence stuff broke 7 years ago. He’s not coming to LA.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Schumaker and Hyde get MoYs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

How many more times is that piece of poo poo going to get carried to a World Series victory? It’s insane to me that he was an active hindrance to the Cubs 7 years ago and somehow still made postseason rosters and pitched important innings this year, never being very good at any point in between

He's a lefty who throws triple digits with a ton of extension towards the mound and a weird armslot which makes him hard to hit. His only real on-field issue these days is the walks, but that's less of an issue if you're using him as a setup guy like the Rangers with a closer waiting in the wings who can clean things up when Chapman loses his control and shits himself.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

To the surprise of absolutely no one, Sonny Gray declined the Twins QO.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gonna be fun watching bawfuls defending him for 7 months after the Dodgers sign him

bawfuls never defended Bauer why would he defend Chapman

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Schumaker and Hyde get MoYs.
GOMS

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Guardians call up Cade Smith and Daniel Espino from AAA Columbus and AA Akron, respectfully, DFAing Michael Kelly and Cal Quantrill.

Quantrill getting DFA'd is a small surprise. He was bad this year, and his peripherals have never been great, but I would have assumed they were going to keep him around in some capacity if some combination of the rookie trio + Bieber and McKenzie don't turn out. Espino doesn't have any 2023 stats I can find but has been rated highly. I guess they assume he can play at MLB level?

I'm feeling some kind of way about the Guards basically flushing all their major pitching prospects out of the system and bringing them up to the 40-man. It was kind of inevitable after the disaster of pitching they went through this year (and the imo unforced error of the Civale trade) but still.

Cade Smith doesn't look good, I don't know if he's just gonna be a warm pen body, but I guess they assume they can cultivate him better than Kelly, who imo didn't look that bad.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Wallet.

Please. I don't ask for anything in this life. Just...pay the man. Build a statue and name the stadium after him.

loving wallet.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I see we are already at the third stage of grief

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

On that note I've discovered that the death and dismemberment of more than five players at the same time voids their contracts to help the franchise recover

poo poo happens right?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JacobyEllsbury/status/1724626348218741227

I have no idea

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The Padres sucked so bad they killed the owner.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Hey cool a new good billionaire

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Can I be a new billionaire? I promise to be cool and good. I'll buy a baseball team and spend lots of money on it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/IamTrevorMay/status/1724659124334657849

lol life of the journeyman reliever

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

bees x1000 posted:

Can I be a new billionaire? I promise to be cool and good. I'll buy a baseball team and spend lots of money on it.

Sorry, its just not possible to be a cool and good billionaire. Once you get a billion dollars, something breaks in your brain. You'll be funding "anti-woke" legislation and taking Clarence Thomas on vacation with you within a year.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nah it's the reverse. The only ways to become a billionaire are to be bred and raised by billionaires, or to have something broken in your brain to begin with such that your driving passion in life is accumulating money and power no matter how many people you shamelessly hurt in the process. Either way your brain being broken in the first place is a prerequisite

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

No, just having that access to capital also breaks your brain eventually.

Maybe if you are instantly gifted a billion dollars and already have a plan to give it all away very quickly, you might avoid the brain worms. But the temptation to hold on to even a few tens of millions, and the access/convenience that buys you, would be immense. Every moment you live with that luxury breaks your brain a little bit more.

If you are going to buy and run a baseball team with the money? Forget about it, your brain will be broken by wealth before you know it.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Brewster’s Billions

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

bawfuls posted:

No, just having that access to capital also breaks your brain eventually.

Maybe if you are instantly gifted a billion dollars and already have a plan to give it all away very quickly, you might avoid the brain worms. But the temptation to hold on to even a few tens of millions, and the access/convenience that buys you, would be immense. Every moment you live with that luxury breaks your brain a little bit more.

If you are going to buy and run a baseball team with the money? Forget about it, your brain will be broken by wealth before you know it.

According to Peter Singer, any money that anyone spends on their own wants is immoral.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 15, 2023

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I'd assume this is in reference to the Yankees and how they have handled/disrespected players who are injury prone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamBlum3/status/1724868527738556545

No thanks, my bank has a $50 fee on returned checks.