Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Right, but for some reason it typically tends to fix any issues I've ever run into concerning Windows Update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Klyith posted:

not sure if chocolatethunder is laughing at the same thing I am, but...

If you are googling when troubleshooting a weird problem, and in results you see a thread on microsoft answers where someone has the same symptoms, the next thing you will see is somebody instantly replying with:

and it never loving works. So if dism+sfc actually fixed something, that would be pretty funny.

(I think the guys telling everyone to do dism+sfc are trying to get points for Microsoft "MVP" awards as resume fodder. Dism+sfc is basically "look at all the OS system files, replace any that are corrupt / missing". So it's perfectly safe, but most of the time useless-- your system files probably aren't missing. The MVP guys disappear after saying dism+sfc, so a lot of threads in microsoft answers are that, followed by "it didn't work", followed by crickets.)

That's actually so funny and I've seen it several times now that I think about it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

GreenNight posted:

Right, but for some reason it typically tends to fix any issues I've ever run into concerning Windows Update.

It's definitely fixed a number of issues from Windows Update. Nothing else, though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Klyith posted:

not sure if chocolatethunder is laughing at the same thing I am, but...

If you are googling when troubleshooting a weird problem, and in results you see a thread on microsoft answers where someone has the same symptoms, the next thing you will see is somebody instantly replying with:

and it never loving works. So if dism+sfc actually fixed something, that would be pretty funny.

(I think the guys telling everyone to do dism+sfc are trying to get points for Microsoft "MVP" awards as resume fodder. Dism+sfc is basically "look at all the OS system files, replace any that are corrupt / missing". So it's perfectly safe, but most of the time useless-- your system files probably aren't missing. The MVP guys disappear after saying dism+sfc, so a lot of threads in microsoft answers are that, followed by "it didn't work", followed by crickets.)

My favorite diagnostic Google story is when I was having a strange issue so I did some googling, found someone with the same issue. Tried their resolution and it worked. Went to thank them and saw it was me from 5 years ago

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Klyith posted:

It works, but only for problems it's meant to fix. https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...a3-966e85d4094e

I have had multiple cases where after cloning from HDD with badblocks it fixes the corrupt files.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

That's the problem. It's for fixing a few specific issues and MVPs latched onto it as their go to for Every. loving. Response.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Medullah posted:

My favorite diagnostic Google story is when I was having a strange issue so I did some googling, found someone with the same issue. Tried their resolution and it worked. Went to thank them and saw it was me from 5 years ago

:drat:

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
It worked for fixing errors from my ram that was going bad, but not as well as replacing that ram.

A year or 2 of flaky behavior could have been avoided if I'd have memtested my ram.

You shouldn't have to run those commands a few times a year (like I did, oops)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yes, that is exactly what I was laughing at.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
On Windows 10, I have a secondary SSD with nothing on it. Every couple of months or so, when turning on from sleep mode, Windows Explorer will be open in my SSD's directory. Anyone have a clue why this would happen?

Is my computer haunted?

(That drive has never been defragged, and date-wise seems unrelated to that whole process.)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

VagueRant posted:

On Windows 10, I have a secondary SSD with nothing on it. Every couple of months or so, when turning on from sleep mode, Windows Explorer will be open in my SSD's directory. Anyone have a clue why this would happen?

Is my computer haunted?

(That drive has never been defragged, and date-wise seems unrelated to that whole process.)

It's probably autoplay related, the drive comes online with some delay, windows thinks you just plugged it in and want to see the contents. Just a guess.

Here's the first article that came up showing you where to disable it https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht502955

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 18, 2023

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ah thanks, that sounds like the most plausible explanation!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
What happens if you put stuff on it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You know how the Windows save dialog lets you also manage those files through drag and drop? And maybe it's a folder just filled with identical-looking files and you didn't mean to move/create shortcut or whatever just happened, and now you have no idea what you just did?

You know how, when you right click in the Windows Explorer window, you can "Undo Move" or "Undo Delete," and when you do this, there's no way to tell what that "move" or "delete" actually did, when in the hell this action first occurred, where it occurred, and to which files?

How can I find this out?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Windows was telling me I my PC couldn't go from Win10 to Win11 because I didn't have a TPM, so I went into my BIOS and enabled my TPM.

Now the PC Health Check app says I am compatible with Win11, but Windows Update still says I am not compatible and doesn't offer the update. Googling around game inconclusive results for how to resolve this.

Anyone know what's up with this? Is this a wait-a-while situation since I just turned on the TPM like a few minutes ago?

Furthermore, when turning on the TPM my BIOS threw a warning that if something happens to the TPM I'm effed, won't be able to boot, read my HDD, etc. Is that strictly true if I've never enabled any encryption on my HDD? My understanding is that the TPM gives a secure place to store encryption keys and similar data needed for secure boot etc., but enabling the TPM alone won't cause my drives to be encrypted. That's separate. I'm guessing the warning is just generic, and maybe poorly worded?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Windows was telling me I my PC couldn't go from Win10 to Win11 because I didn't have a TPM, so I went into my BIOS and enabled my TPM.

Now the PC Health Check app says I am compatible with Win11, but Windows Update still says I am not compatible and doesn't offer the update. Googling around game inconclusive results for how to resolve this.

Anyone know what's up with this? Is this a wait-a-while situation since I just turned on the TPM like a few minutes ago?

Admin command prompt, schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

(Or wait 24 hours, windows update refreshes that once a day.)

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Furthermore, when turning on the TPM my BIOS threw a warning that if something happens to the TPM I'm effed, won't be able to boot, read my HDD, etc. Is that strictly true if I've never enabled any encryption on my HDD? My understanding is that the TPM gives a secure place to store encryption keys and similar data needed for secure boot etc., but enabling the TPM alone won't cause my drives to be encrypted. That's separate. I'm guessing the warning is just generic, and maybe poorly worded?

Correct. If you never store anything in the TPM, you can flip that switch on and off all day with no ill effects.

Having the warning be that over the top is a good idea even if not strictly true, because boy howdy it's gonna be fun in the default-always-encrypted future explaining to people that their data is gone.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have Opinions on default-on disk encryption for everyone and the risk/benefit tradeoffs involved, especially on desktop PCs.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I've always been of the opinion that you should encrypt what you need on a per-file basis.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I thought for sure I read somewhere that Windows 11 Home didn't require TPM, was I wrong about that? Can't find poo poo on it now. If that's a requirement for Home Edition that's moronic.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I’m pretty sure all versions of win 11 require tpm

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I mean you can add a reg entry to not require TPM. I've done is successfully dozens of times.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yes that does work for now.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Not sure if there is a better mega-thread for this question so I'll ask it here.

How does POP3 delete from the server?

I just setup a brand new laptop for someone and initially setup their Outlook to use POP3 to their ISPs email server. By default Outlook has a setting to "Keep emails on the server for 14 days".

When the user said they're missing all of their folders I realized that they had previously had their email setup with IMAP instead.

So, I've re-created the Outlook profile, this time using IMAP and the POP3 profile has been removed. Do I have to worry about those emails it already downloaded via POP3 of being removed from the server in 14 days? I guess what I'm not sure of is if this is a property that gets marked on the server and the server keeps track of this or if its instead the client tracking this every time it does a send/receive.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
I couldn't find an Excel megathread, so hopefully someone can help me with this.

Is there a way to filter a set of values from one sheet and apply it to two other sheets in the same workbook?

I have an excel workbook that has three sheets that have around 10,000 rows of values. The first column are anonymized identification numbers along with different values attached to those ID numbers in the neighboring columns (same row). For example, there would be an ID number in the first column, and then attached values such as favorite ice cream flavor in the second column, and then favorite animal in the third column (these aren't what are actually in the cells next to them, they're just numerical values).

The problem is that the ID numbers in the first two sheets don't all match the ID numbers in the third sheet. Hundreds to thousands of the ID numbers in the first and second sheet don't match the third sheet.

I would like to take the ID numbers from the third sheet, keep the attached values such as ice cream flavor and favorite animal, and then filter out the first and second sheet so that only ID numbers from the third sheet appear in the first and second sheet. The third sheet will be the "anchor" sheet where those are the identification numbers that matter. The first and second sheet only have some ID numbers that match the third sheet, and the first and second sheet don't necessarily match each other, there may be minimal overlap.

Is there a way to perform this type of filtering from one sheet to another? Thank you!

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Excel thread is in Cavern of COBOL: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3132163

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

kiwid posted:

Not sure if there is a better mega-thread for this question so I'll ask it here.

How does POP3 delete from the server?

I just setup a brand new laptop for someone and initially setup their Outlook to use POP3 to their ISPs email server. By default Outlook has a setting to "Keep emails on the server for 14 days".

When the user said they're missing all of their folders I realized that they had previously had their email setup with IMAP instead.

So, I've re-created the Outlook profile, this time using IMAP and the POP3 profile has been removed. Do I have to worry about those emails it already downloaded via POP3 of being removed from the server in 14 days? I guess what I'm not sure of is if this is a property that gets marked on the server and the server keeps track of this or if its instead the client tracking this every time it does a send/receive.

The 14 days is tracked by the client - the client issues "delete MSG xyz" commands to the server when it sees an old message on the server.

(the server presents all the messages to the client in a list and assigns a unique hash string to each message and that's how the client system tracks which ones its got)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just did a SSD upgrade on a Win8 machine and sure enough, it wants me to buy the license for Win10. Grotesque

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What might cause my user account to miss some icons on taskbar?

A powershell instance ran as user has no icon. If I run it with admin privileges, the icon shows.

E: this applies to apparently windows and UWP apps only. "regular" program icons work always just fine.

Most programs have icons, but some not. Also my Windows Explorer icon in task manager has a DOTA2 icon. This has been going on for years with windows 10 & 11, so I'm not too concerned.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I couldn't find an Excel megathread, so hopefully someone can help me with this.

Is there a way to filter a set of values from one sheet and apply it to two other sheets in the same workbook?

I have an excel workbook that has three sheets that have around 10,000 rows of values. The first column are anonymized identification numbers along with different values attached to those ID numbers in the neighboring columns (same row). For example, there would be an ID number in the first column, and then attached values such as favorite ice cream flavor in the second column, and then favorite animal in the third column (these aren't what are actually in the cells next to them, they're just numerical values).

The problem is that the ID numbers in the first two sheets don't all match the ID numbers in the third sheet. Hundreds to thousands of the ID numbers in the first and second sheet don't match the third sheet.

I would like to take the ID numbers from the third sheet, keep the attached values such as ice cream flavor and favorite animal, and then filter out the first and second sheet so that only ID numbers from the third sheet appear in the first and second sheet. The third sheet will be the "anchor" sheet where those are the identification numbers that matter. The first and second sheet only have some ID numbers that match the third sheet, and the first and second sheet don't necessarily match each other, there may be minimal overlap.

Is there a way to perform this type of filtering from one sheet to another? Thank you!

Not an excel wizard, but you could add a column in sheets 1 and 2 that basically contains "is this value in sheet 3" (a countif() should work), and then sort the sheet by that? It should split the table into two blocks (0 and 1 matches), but preserve the previous order within each block.

Also strongly consider doing this in a programming language - if you're doing further analysis on this, learning some R could make your life a lot less frustrating. Prettier graphs, too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

What might cause my user account to miss some icons on taskbar?

A powershell instance ran as user has no icon. If I run it with admin privileges, the icon shows.

E: this applies to apparently windows and UWP apps only. "regular" program icons work always just fine.

Most programs have icons, but some not. Also my Windows Explorer icon in task manager has a DOTA2 icon. This has been going on for years with windows 10 & 11, so I'm not too concerned.

Ha, digging through a shitton of bad looking guides I found a good one:

https://superuser.com/questions/1319157/some-windows-10-uwp-icons-not-displaying-on-search-or-in-settings

It was the issue #1:

Some third-party apps like to install custom thumbnail generators. Some of these apps do so in a way that breaks things. In my case, Google's Drive File Stream was the culprit. Keep in mind that this is different from having a default program for a file; Windows Photos remained the default for me. To solve the issue:

Since I do not use gdrive anymore, I could freely do this. Remove a hosed up registry key from .png file extension at registry and now all icons seem to work, and .png thumbnails seem to work too in explorer.

Windows Explorer still has a Dota2 icon in task manager, but at least 2 problems are now fixed:
- missing .png thumbnails on explorer
- sometimes missing app icons in taskbar

Now I wish I knew what caused the custom icon on Explorer in Task manager..

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm not sure if this is a windows issue or an AMD issue, but I have a strange issue where if I try to draw in the Snipping Tool or some other Windows journaling or note taking app that allows you to write using your mouse, the graphics start glitching out with each movement. This thankfully doesn't affect other apps such as MS Paint, or god forbid, my actual art programs like Clip Studio Paint, but it is strange. I'm wondering if it's encoding issue specific to those certain Microsoft apps or not. I would record a screencapture of this, but Sharex doesn't seem to capture the glitchiness.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
A phone captured video of glitches may help

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

unknown posted:

The 14 days is tracked by the client - the client issues "delete MSG xyz" commands to the server when it sees an old message on the server.

(the server presents all the messages to the client in a list and assigns a unique hash string to each message and that's how the client system tracks which ones its got)

Thanks for clarifying that.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Quick question, my Win 10 PC became strangely unresponsive a little while ago, no changes recently, it crashed as I was installing a Steam game to the OS HD and had a pending Windows update as well. After rebooting it can't find my Windows HD as a boot device even though it all appears fine in the BIOS, when I use a Win10 USB to try to repair it it says it couldn't, uninstall updates is the same. System Restore says I need to specify which installation to restore but I'm not sure how to do that. When I use the command prompt I can see everything on the Windows HD fine, only thing different is the drive letter changed. Any thoughts on next steps? MSI B550 mobo and Ryzen, 980 Pro SSD.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 24, 2023

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

down1nit posted:

A phone captured video of glitches may help

https://i.imgur.com/Dg3K3vY.mp4

I sped up the video to save on file size, but this is the issue I'm talking about.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

god please help me posted:

<glitches.mp4>

I sped up the video to save on file size, but this is the issue I'm talking about.

I'd go with updating your GPU drivers, and if that doesn't help trying to use other apps -- grab greenshot or something instead of snipping tool.

The way that the glitching goes outside the window for the particular app says graphics driver problem to me, but the fact that it seems restricted to a few UWP apps means it's not some major pervasive incompatibility.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Mozi posted:

Quick question, my Win 10 PC became strangely unresponsive a little while ago, no changes recently, it crashed as I was installing a Steam game to the OS HD and had a pending Windows update as well. After rebooting it can't find my Windows HD as a boot device even though it all appears fine in the BIOS, when I use a Win10 USB to try to repair it it says it couldn't, uninstall updates is the same. System Restore says I need to specify which installation to restore but I'm not sure how to do that. When I use the command prompt I can see everything on the Windows HD fine, only thing different is the drive letter changed. Any thoughts on next steps? MSI B550 mobo and Ryzen, 980 Pro SSD.

You need to google the necessary command prompts to copy anything you need to another drive, and then install fresh and give it a try to see if it holds up.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018

Klyith posted:

I'd go with updating your GPU drivers, and if that doesn't help trying to use other apps -- grab greenshot or something instead of snipping tool.

The way that the glitching goes outside the window for the particular app says graphics driver problem to me, but the fact that it seems restricted to a few UWP apps means it's not some major pervasive incompatibility.

Ah I see. I still haven't figured out how to update the driver for my Beelink GTR7 mini PC, but yeah, it doesn't seem to be effecting everything, just a few specific Microsoft apps. Weird as hell. I wonder what makes Microsoft's version of drawing different enough than other program's style of drawing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

e: Ok there's a bunch of old and new Beelink GTR7 models with different CPUs and embedded graphics, but no matter which one, just go here and click "Download windows drivers", it should automatically detect what you've got.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My kingdom for a fix to this:

I'm running Windows 10 on a NVIDIA 970 and a GSYNC monitor. Some application GUIs are noticeably choppy with mouse movement, and dragging the window around etc... It's only some Windows applications, others are buttery smooth. In this instance, it is the application DaxStudio, which I believe is a WPF app. It feels like something I should be able to fix in the NVIDIA Settings but I can't figure out what. Any ideas?

I found an old reddit post that solved it. Something to do with the Monitor Technology setting in the NVIDIA control panel. Posting the answer here in case others are dealing with a similar issue.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 25, 2023