Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pryce posted:

My first experience with subscribing to Paizo products has not gone well.....I signed up for the Special Edition Pathfinder Rulebooks sub and reached out to get them to add both the Player Core and GM Core books (which they did!). Got a shipping notification two weeks ago and at no point did the tracking number ever work or show anything. Finally reached out to them yesterday and they swore they definitely shipped the books, but they also see the trackers never updated. They just submitted a new order for me for replacements but I'm sad that didn't end up getting the books on release day. :(

I know this isn't Paizo's fault, just sad that I finally gave into my urges and signed up for a subscription and it immediately fell apart.

shoulda used a hero point that's what they're there for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Strategy question: Is it better for a monk to go for a trip and follow it up with Flurry of Blows, or use FoB first for the higher attack bonus?

Doing a trip at max MAP is a terrible idea because of the chance of a critical miss and knocking yourself prone (whereas a critical miss on a Strike from FoB has no special effect), if you're going to trip you always want to do that first.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

General question about Attacks like Trip -.it generates MAP, but it's an athletics check vs reflex. Do you subtract MAP to your athletics modifier?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

General question about Attacks like Trip -.it generates MAP, but it's an athletics check vs reflex. Do you subtract MAP to your athletics modifier?

Yes

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

5-Headed Snake God posted:

Strategy question: Is it better for a monk to go for a trip and follow it up with Flurry of Blows, or use FoB first for the higher attack bonus?

trip first, but also flurry of maneuvers is phenomenal for this very sort of situation

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Note that if you have a free hand in Remaster, maneuvers have Agile.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
From the Day 1 Errata:

quote:

Pages 411: The text for the wounded condition was changed for consistency, but became consistent with the wrong piece of text. This would lead to much deadlier encounters! The following changes should ensure that death and dying works the way we intended.

* In the Recovery Checks degrees of success, remove all instances of "(plus your wounded condition, if any)"; that's both in the failure and critical failure entries.

* Under Taking Damage, remove the final sentence that reads, "If you have the wounded condition, remember to add the value of your wounded condition to your dying value." This reminder should only apply to when you gain the dying condition after getting knocked out.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

3 Action Economist posted:

From the Day 1 Errata:

lol, lmao

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Errata is up. It's not just limited to the Player Core / GM Core, either: there is also compatibility errata released for the core rulebook, dark archive, secrets of magic, and the advanced player's guide. Some highlights:

- Changes to champions to make them playable with Remaster alignment changes.
- The old versions of spells in the CRB got errata'd to have the Remaster damage formulas (i.e., more dice, no modifier).
- They finally fixed the Magus Arcane Cascade thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Does Paizo ever incorporate errata passes into its PDF and future printings, or do I need to hang onto this forever?

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

They update PDFs. I'm pretty sure the current one is the 4th version and is what goes to the printers.

But if print revisions and PDF revisions are tied together then we may not see a PDF update for the original core book since it's dead.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Now that season 4 of Blowback is coming out on the regular podcast networks, I'm thinking my interest in doing Kingmaker is picking back up :)

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Noah: now listeners might be asking, how exactly did a rag-tag band of adventurers manage to take down a local warlord and turn a backwater swamp in to a kingdom in just over a year?

Brendan: well probably just a little luck and elbow grease right?

Noah: all that and a little help...from the Brevoian Inter-Service Intelligence agency, or ISI

Brandan (sarcastically): wha-wha-what??

[clip of 1960s British Newscast Services] : An august day in Pitax as King Castruccio Irovetti oversaw his nations bi-annual jubilee with ambassadors from the nations of Mendev and Numeria [audio fades]

Brendan: From Peter Estobar's book "Kingdom of Mists and Veils", "While the houses of Brevoy could agree on very little, there was no disagreement that a puppet state was needed to buttress the kingdom's borders to the south against influence. Security advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski led a cabal of 'bleeders' who saw the opportunity to mobilze independent operators and Pharasman cultists in creating a client state that..."

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

From last session, feels kinda goofy when the team pokes an enemy and goes "hmm, resistant to most damage" and then I go "well, we're given every indication it's undead, let me try Soothing Mist!"
And then soothing mist does, like, 20ish damage and then I realise I was better off doing a Twin Takedown anyway since that combines the damage for purposes of resistances.

I didn't realise when I first started playing PF2e that two-weapon flurry ranger was one of the simplest builds but hey, it's effective as long as you don't need to switch to a ranged weapon (and especially if you don't need to switch back to melee, but wielding a gauntlet helps with that as backup).

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Noah: now listeners might be asking, how exactly did a rag-tag band of adventurers manage to take down a local warlord and turn a backwater swamp in to a kingdom in just over a year?

Brendan: well probably just a little luck and elbow grease right?

Noah: all that and a little help...from the Brevoian Inter-Service Intelligence agency, or ISI

Brandan (sarcastically): wha-wha-what??

[clip of 1960s British Newscast Services] : An august day in Pitax as King Castruccio Irovetti oversaw his nations bi-annual jubilee with ambassadors from the nations of Mendev and Numeria [audio fades]

Brendan: From Peter Estobar's book "Kingdom of Mists and Veils", "While the houses of Brevoy could agree on very little, there was no disagreement that a puppet state was needed to buttress the kingdom's borders to the south against influence. Security advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski led a cabal of 'bleeders' who saw the opportunity to mobilze independent operators and Pharasman cultists in creating a client state that..."

This sounded dope and I googled it and am immensely disappointed this isn't a high production radio drama of a kingmaker campaign and it's got me all sorts of flustered.

Please label your fanfiction. It has mislead me.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ravus Ursus posted:

This sounded dope and I googled it and am immensely disappointed this isn't a high production radio drama of a kingmaker campaign and it's got me all sorts of flustered.

haha sorry- but in general if you like hearing about the horrors America has visited upon the world over the last ~70 years it's a good podcast.

But also yeah I feel like re-imagining the River Kingdoms to be Afghanistan after either the British, USSR, or US exit. Maybe gets a tad depressing when your neighboring kingdom switches to an ultra-reactionary strain of worshipping Erastil because of a CIA plot, and then they kill all the local scholars :(

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Ravus Ursus posted:

Are you familiar with the Pathfinder Legends series? It's high production audio drama of three APs; Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, and Mummy's Mask.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

haha sorry- but in general if you like hearing about the horrors America has visited upon the world over the last ~70 years it's a good podcast.

But also yeah I feel like re-imagining the River Kingdoms to be Afghanistan after either the British, USSR, or US exit. Maybe gets a tad depressing when your neighboring kingdom switches to an ultra-reactionary strain of worshipping Erastil because of a CIA plot, and then they kill all the local scholars :(

I mean I'm glad that exists and it's enjoyable, but I like to keep my horror fictional.

Jon posted:

Are you familiar with the Pathfinder Legends series? It's high production audio drama of three APs; Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, and Mummy's Mask.

I am not. I vaguely remember a radio play style thing existing for rune lords, which may be the same thing you're talking about. I'll have to check it out because Crimson Throne always seemed cool but I've never been able to stand most Actual Plays.

Thanks.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jon posted:

I was not!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Given that everyone I've spoken to about the "clarified" dying rules reacted with either disbelief or complete horror, I'm not surprised they changed it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The dying rules seemed ill-conceived, regardless of whether or not there was an intention to increase the lethality. Basically, having any level of wounded was essentially an automatic death sentence. That's not a clever or interesting rules mechanic. If you want characters to die after they've been KO'd and go down again, just say that.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've read over how they're going to be treating the remaster in foundry several times and I've only figured out that I shouldn't update foundry for a while

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I've read over how they're going to be treating the remaster in foundry several times and I've only figured out that I shouldn't update foundry for a while

Where is this information posted?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Where is this information posted?

It's in the pathfinder 2 subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/17ui14l/foundry_and_the_remaster/

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

So some minor issues but otherwise everything works?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm just gonna update and then do a backup restore if it's broken it'll almost certainly just be fine.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I updated already. Everything seems to be fine, including my billion modules.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dick Burglar posted:

The dying rules seemed ill-conceived, regardless of whether or not there was an intention to increase the lethality. Basically, having any level of wounded was essentially an automatic death sentence. That's not a clever or interesting rules mechanic. If you want characters to die after they've been KO'd and go down again, just say that.

Yeah, this is the biggest thing that made me skeptical that the whole "always add wounded" thing was intended. It's not the increased lethality that didn't make sense to me - that's a design choice, whatever - it's that it seemed a really overcomplicated mechanism to just do something very simple, if that was the intended result.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

Yeah, this is the biggest thing that made me skeptical that the whole "always add wounded" thing was intended. It's not the increased lethality that didn't make sense to me - that's a design choice, whatever - it's that it seemed a really overcomplicated mechanism to just do something very simple, if that was the intended result.

Mark Seifter did confirm that it was always intended

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is it just me or does the body text in this book revert to Times New Roman or a similar font whenever it's bolded?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I've been thinking about wanting to make one of my dungeons a sort of half-sunken ruin that has partially flooded. It would be a fresh dungeon theme for the party and having creepy crawlies grab at you and emerge from brackish water is always fun horror fodder.

I don't know how much it will be worth closely referencing the "aquatic combat" rules, it seems like it could be quite tedious and a level 3 party is not going to have a tremendous number of tools to overcome that. Seems like I should maybe just design a fight or two to happen in waist-deep water and maybe consider it difficult terrain or something, with a few raised sections out of the water, or subject them to athletics checks to swim or dive for a specific reason between encounters rather than get too granular about it.

It might be fun to do like a single low difficulty aquatic combat with the suffocation rules just to put the fear of god into them, but I'm a little afraid myself that they might actually drown. Maybe I could put like a pocket of air somewhere in the battle scene that they can swim up to if things drag out longer than expected.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Scoss posted:

I've been thinking about wanting to make one of my dungeons a sort of half-sunken ruin that has partially flooded. It would be a fresh dungeon theme for the party and having creepy crawlies grab at you and emerge from brackish water is always fun horror fodder.

I don't know how much it will be worth closely referencing the "aquatic combat" rules, it seems like it could be quite tedious and a level 3 party is not going to have a tremendous number of tools to overcome that. Seems like I should maybe just design a fight or two to happen in waist-deep water and maybe consider it difficult terrain or something, with a few raised sections out of the water, or subject them to athletics checks to swim or dive for a specific reason between encounters rather than get too granular about it.

It might be fun to do like a single low difficulty aquatic combat with the suffocation rules just to put the fear of god into them, but I'm a little afraid myself that they might actually drown. Maybe I could put like a pocket of air somewhere in the battle scene that they can swim up to if things drag out longer than expected.

You might have the bad guys pull one of them underwater and hold them there. Either they break free or an ally breaks them free?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
It wouldn't be hard to have a flooded basement or collapsed area that has something valuable to lure the party in if you want to have a flooded dungeon that only has a few chunks of actual underwater combat. That even means the party can pivot to grabbing the loot/macguffin and running if it turns out that they hate dealing with aquatic combat.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Just imagining fighting off a clutch of zombies in waste-deep brackish undead soup while your ankles are getting swarmed by Crawling Claws makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. Maybe an encounter in a room at the sea-facing end of the ruin where the tide is rapidly rising as they fight? Underwater combat kind of sucks, I'd consider maybe making fully submerged sections more about exploration/treasure hunting/trap avoidance and maybe hand them a 6-pack of discount Water Breathing potions that last like D10+2 rounds so they can play around with some resource management.

I'm liking this gimmick more and more.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Sinatrapod posted:

Just imagining fighting off a clutch of zombies in waste-deep brackish undead soup while your ankles are getting swarmed by Crawling Claws makes me feel pretty uncomfortable. Maybe an encounter in a room at the sea-facing end of the ruin where the tide is rapidly rising as they fight? Underwater combat kind of sucks, I'd consider maybe making fully submerged sections more about exploration/treasure hunting/trap avoidance and maybe hand them a 6-pack of discount Water Breathing potions that last like D10+2 rounds so they can play around with some resource management.

I'm liking this gimmick more and more.

Maybe a dungeon where some of the passages are underwater? You don't need to make a maze, just something that's not completely linear could be pretty disorienting especially if you're doing theater of the mind.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

When is Pathbuilder updating to the new rules again?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

When is Pathbuilder updating to the new rules again?

Somewhere next week since he's decided he wanted to make it so you can toggle at-will between legacy and remaster rules.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Clerical Terrors posted:

Somewhere next week since he's decided he wanted to make it so you can toggle at-will between legacy and remaster rules.

Sensible since Magus players at least will want to still be able to access some of the old spells.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HidaO-Win posted:

Sensible since Magus players at least will want to still be able to access some of the old spells.

Magus players still have access to all of the old spells anyway; the “new” Shocking Grasp has a different name, which means the old one is still available. The only changes to spells that result in a meaningful change for the Magus where using the old rules would make a difference are to the damage formulas - replacing stat mod with an extra die - and that’s a buff for the magus where the new version is basically always superior.

They do not need access to a legacy toggle.

The only reason to want legacy and current content in the same version of Pathbuilder is if you want to do something insane like running a Conjuration Wizard, with Witch Archetype using remaster witch feats/rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I'm so bummed they made Daze not apply flat footed with the errata fix. I don't think that was really overpowered at all. It turned it into a very powerful utility spell that requires setup (most likely delaying to be last in the round) to really take full advantage of, and it does literal scratch damage.

And buffing it is also a two edged sword to use against players.

Otherwise I think it's the weakest spell in the game.