Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

PhazonLink posted:

the wire is still on my watch list backlog so i have no greater context of the clip I just looked up.

but the leader seems smart and right so Im not sure if the meta politics in episode or season was right or wrong. good product is good fundamentals.

Stringer Bell flew too close to the sun and plummeted into the earth. Alas.

It's probably still worth watching the first couple seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Watching The Wire this summer was maybe one of the top 3 things this website has pressured me into doing

E: it will emotionally destroy you as many goon related things will but this one I managed to keep my clothes on, so I highly recommend The Wire

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
David Simon's spiritual follow-up to "The Wire" (did anyone actually watch Treme lol?), "We Own This City" is pretty drat good too.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Wire has the best child acting I’ve seen on TV.

David Simon has a very, very solid record. Even his worst show, The Deuce, is still pretty good.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

Stringer Bell flew too close to the sun and plummeted into the earth. Alas.

It's probably still worth watching the first couple seasons.

Nah, it's good to the end of s5. It's still the best TV show ever made. It's got a lot of close competition, but is still #1.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Domus posted:

Have you seen the new video on the system he created to frustrate scammers and waste their time? It’s beautiful. He makes the scammers think they’ve succeeded by giving them a supposed code for bitcoin. When they try to redeem it, they get a slow as hell progress bar that eventually errors out, and tells them to call a helpline. The wait time is like 80 minutes, and then it randomly dumps the caller into a plausible recording, mimicking a support tech unable to hear the call, or a transfer to a voicemail. Then it asks for the caller to take a survey on how their experience was.

gorgeous

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

peanut posted:

gorgeous

I just watched it. I’m glad that there are good psychopaths out there. It really is a horrifically wonderful system they made.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Edit: butt posting

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2023

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

The Wire has the best child acting I’ve seen on TV.

David Simon has a very, very solid record. Even his worst show, The Deuce, is still pretty good.

Mariah Carey watching the opening scene with Broadie and immediately going "drat I need that dude in a music video GET ME THEM DIGITS"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Professor Shark posted:

I just watched it. I’m glad that there are good psychopaths out there. It really is a horrifically wonderful system they made.

Which one is it, he has a few out recently.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Which one is it, he has a few out recently.

“I trapped 200 scammers in an impossible maze”

Please answer a quick survey about your satisfaction with this reply.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Didn’t try to sell me on any other services, excellent customer service and a credit to your company.

Thanks!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Didn’t try to sell me on any other services, excellent customer service and a credit to your company.

Thanks!

This mailbox is full and your message could not be saved.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Shifty Pony posted:

A lot of the scams are basically run like sales call center businesses. The people doing the scamming make almost all of their income off of commission and have strictly enforced quotas. Since the businesses are organized crime rings they don't bother adhering to things like minimum wage rules and the penalties for missing quotas can range from zeroing out income to actually making the worker's income negative by charging the worker for the use of the equipment.

When the scammer realizes that they are being messed with the scammer is going from being excited about potentially making a lot of money to realizing that they are now at risk of losing a significant chunk (or all!) of what they've already earned for the pay period due to not hitting their quota.

AARP's "Perfect Scam" podcast just did an episode related to this, about scam call-center workers also being victims themselves from exploitative working conditions to de facto slavery. Some of them can escape, but others end up in a horrifying cycle of forced labor and punishment if they somehow manage to reach the authorities and end up being punished for not being documented and other violations, and may even end up being returned by the local government back to the call centers depending on who's on the take. Physical punishments, entrapment by debt, all of that is used by the scam organizers to force people to keep making calls. Don't take this to mean that wasting scammer's time is a bad thing, but it certainly means that efforts to dismantle this industry is as important as any work to stop criminal exploitation. And it's not like I have any good ideas for a solution, it's just a bad situation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just drone strike the call centers until they stop, Obama established tou don't even need a warrant.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Just drone strike the call centers until they stop, Obama established tou don't even need a warrant.

Maybe I should be reading the Terms of Use more carefully when I'm installing new software...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I kinda sort of could have gotten scammed a couple months back.

I bought a motor cover for my boat, but for whatever the gently caress reason, it could only be bought through Mercury USA, and not Canada. Shipped by Fedex.
The website said something like "international orders might be subject to additional fees for customs duties, brokerage etc etc.".

A day or so after I ordered, I got a call from "fedex" telling me that I had a shipment that was subjected to duty or some brokerage fees and I should press 1 to pay or something along those lines. I don't recall exactly.

Having had to deal with that poo poo before though, I just figured I'd wait till they send me a notice telling me it wasn't going to be delivered due to additional fees, and to pick it up at the local shipping depot. A few days later I got an email saying my package had been delivered. Nothing about duties, or any other fees.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve almost done dumb on stuff like that too- at some point, everyone has a package they’re expecting. I think that’s how those scams work, dropping your guard.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Professor Shark posted:

I’ve almost done dumb on stuff like that too- at some point, everyone has a package they’re expecting. I think that’s how those scams work, dropping your guard.

Yeah, I'm constantly getting emails for it, but the call was way too coincidental.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They will send you a letter in the mail if you have to pay more.

I got one of those letters from ups and the customer service person told me it was a scam (it later turned out it was legit but since they hosed up they dropped the lare fees)

AlMac
Oct 5, 2003

Peter Serafinowicz says I'M THE BEST
I got caught out by one of those last month.

Out with my two young kids, slogging between a shop and our lunch restaurant, laden down with bags and a constant barrage of “ DADDY DADDY DADDY”. Just after arriving at the shops I’d remembered that I was expecting a package which would reasonably possibly require a signature or other form of ID (international package from the US to the UK, where I live.

Completely coincidentally got one of those “there is a fee to pay on your package” texts from “Fedex” while I was halfway between a store and lunch. My brain was fried and I was super busy so I just thought how annoying that was, stopped up against a wall with both kids in tow, and clicked the link which took me to a very nice looking FedEx site. Paid the £2.99 charge and went back to getting us all to lunch.

Took about three minutes until I suddenly realised what I’d done and how stupid I’d been. As soon as we got seated in the restaurant I called my bank’s fraud line and explained what happened. Chillingly, the very first question the guy asked me was “is there any money left in your account at all?”.

Nothing had been taken and I managed to get my card cancelled less than 5 minutes after I used the site, but it really showed me how easy it is for circumstances to align to cause you to drop your guard, no matter how savvy you think you are.

As the previous poster said, everyone expects a package at some point. Combine that with the fact that loads of people expect a package on days when they’re run ragged by other things, and there’s your victims.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Recently at work we've had a wave of spam that comes in as a warning from your "email administrator" that your account is 100% full, with a button to click to clear space. It's from the wrong domain, and looks pretty fake since it is completely different-looking from our normal emails, and on top of that our system flags it as being from an external source, but IT still had to send out a warning to people to not click anything in that message.

That's one reason why I don't like to have any of my personal devices on the work network.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're part of a phish-hunting "contest" at work and it's dreadful. I work in a college but the contest is on the municipal level so you can see how all the different departments stack up. The secretaries and admins are beating the IT dept at reporting all the planted phishing emails we get. Meanwhile the teaching staff are under 60% so I'm also glad I have my own device and storage and I'm not sharing with these goobers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

greazeball posted:

We're part of a phish-hunting "contest" at work and it's dreadful. I work in a college but the contest is on the municipal level so you can see how all the different departments stack up. The secretaries and admins are beating the IT dept at reporting all the planted phishing emails we get. Meanwhile the teaching staff are under 60% so I'm also glad I have my own device and storage and I'm not sharing with these goobers.

I would love to know what the rate of clicking vs reporting vs sending is. I'm guessing the IT department just deleted it and went on with their lives instead of reporting it to themselves.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Recently at work we've had a wave of spam that comes in as a warning from your "email administrator" that your account is 100% full, with a button to click to clear space. It's from the wrong domain, and looks pretty fake since it is completely different-looking from our normal emails, and on top of that our system flags it as being from an external source, but IT still had to send out a warning to people to not click anything in that message.

That's one reason why I don't like to have any of my personal devices on the work network.

Just went back to the office last month after working from home for 3.5 years. The first call I get on my new work phone is a collect call from Inmate somebody.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

wesleywillis posted:

for whatever the gently caress reason, it could only be bought through Mercury USA, and not Canada. Shipped by Fedex.
The website said something like "international orders might be subject to additional fees for customs duties, brokerage etc etc.".

Brokerage from US to Canada is one of the biggest scams there is :argh:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Just the reminder that if you want to save on brokerage fees with the courier companies, sign up for an account with them (its free) and apply the fees to it. The majority of the brokerage charge is dealing with the "unknown user/recipient" COD temporary account generation.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I recently went on a three week trip and put a mail hold on while I was gone.

Absolutely barraged with "package could not be delivered" texts basically the whole time. My phone auto-filtered them to spam but still occasionally told me it had done so, so I could see how many I got.

I wasn't expecting a package and I wouldn't have done anything via a text anyways (I'd just sort it out when I got home) but it was still stark. They completely stopped when the mail hold ended, too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

greazeball posted:

Admin and secretaries always have the highest participation on activities like this because they live in those communication channels. I'm a uni teacher and those emails are tertiary to my work. I delete the daily heaps of mass emails so fast that there's a good chance that I would have deleted the "contest!" email without reading it.

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Volmarias posted:

I would love to know what the rate of clicking vs reporting vs sending is. I'm guessing the IT department just deleted it and went on with their lives instead of reporting it to themselves.

If IT does most of their communication through another app like Slack, they might just ignore most emails rather than look at them carefully, then report them. Meanwhile secretaries and admins are usually supposed to look at an categorize all mail on the mailboxes they admin, and are less likely to use a different communication app.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
About once a day for a week I've been getting text messages from random Philippine phone numbers with a picture telling me my USPS package can't be delivered and I need to go to some random website and put in info. Seems super legit.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Desert Bus posted:

About once a day for a week I've been getting text messages from random Philippine phone numbers with a picture telling me my USPS package can't be delivered and I need to go to some random website and put in info. Seems super legit.

I had a run in of about two weeks of those daily and sometimes twice a day. Looks like they died down this week though. Two from last Thursday and one on Sunday and that's all.

The random ones are getting more intriguing though, I had one yesterday asking if I had time to talk as if it was a friend telling me they had bad news.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Admin is at 92% spotted, IT is at 91%. There have been some very expensive breaches and ransomware attacks on public sector infrastructure in this country over the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure these scores are getting reported to the top and imagine IT has been told to not loving blow it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

greazeball posted:

Admin is at 92% spotted, IT is at 91%. There have been some very expensive breaches and ransomware attacks on public sector infrastructure in this country over the last couple of years. I'm pretty sure these scores are getting reported to the top and imagine IT has been told to not loving blow it.

Assuming that your workplace uses a security training company like knowbe4, you can set up an email rule that filters messages with "knowbe4" in the headers to their own special folder.

It's especially useful to do that if you work in I.T. so you can distinguish between tests and real phishing that somehow got past the spam filters.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Also, companies sometimes forget the hard part of establishing and maintaining trusted communication channels, and making sure everyone, including external vendors, uses those channels. It doesn't matter how good your IT department is if HR lets some third party send out a bunch of emails saying "click this link or you're fired."

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm glad my work doesn't bother with the phish hunting but they did have one smuck fall for it so that became a lesson in "don't do this and you won't lose $1200 after running around all day."

I do forward the funny phishing emails to IT, though, sometimes they generate a silly domain name.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I had to do phishing training at work yesterday. It was themed around the old west (why?) And had extreme 2000s flash energy

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

greazeball posted:

Perhaps it’s because the secretaries and admins have more experience sending and receiving emails, and are thus more likely to pick up on small idiosyncrasies that indicate something is not right.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

greazeball posted:

Every time I hear about someone's work doing those phishing tests, I think about this GoDaddy story:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/24/22199406/godaddy-wins-2020-stupidity-award

quote:

GoDaddy wins our 2020 award for most evil company email

The domain registrar tricked employees into thinking they earned a bonus

As The Copper Courier originally reported, GoDaddy sent an email phishing “test” to its employees promising much-needed money: “2020 has been a record year for GoDaddy, thanks to you!” it said. “Though we cannot celebrate together during our annual Holiday Party, we want to show our appreciation and share a $650 one-time Holiday bonus!”

The employees who clicked the link then reportedly received an email two days later telling them they failed the test. Instead of receiving a holiday bonus, they’d instead be required to take a training course on social engineering.

Keep in mind, this was Christmas 2020. The first Christmas during the pandemic. Great time to toy with people's finances!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Business Brains = Sociopaths