Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Had to delete that section of road once I figured out why I had a traffic jam that literally did not move for half a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Ah, that’s the icon. Makes me think that …

nielsm posted:

I get that vehicles can go a bit off road in accidents but, the one in the top right went nearly 900 meters from the highway, even crossing a river???
Are you sure that’s a vehicle wreck or is it a natural POI thing that got burned down or destroyed by weather?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oh, well, this 100% doesn't happen

It definitely does. Cims will dynamically reroute off of paths if they are jammed. I have also had cims take a highway that was longer than the shortest path. The tuning might be off but the mechanic is there and functioning day 1.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cim just getting so redfaced in their car that they off road it across their town which is just two roads at a 90 degree angle

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeC posted:

It definitely does. Cims will dynamically reroute off of paths if they are jammed. I have also had cims take a highway that was longer than the shortest path. The tuning might be off but the mechanic is there and functioning day 1.

Yep. Not saying there are no issues to iron out but there is dynamic pathing and sims sure seem smarter about picking routes than in the first game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Ah, that’s the icon. Makes me think that …

Are you sure that’s a vehicle wreck or is it a natural POI thing that got burned down or destroyed by weather?

Yeah I checked. It was a motorbike in the middle of the field.

Fishstick posted:

Had to delete that section of road once I figured out why I had a traffic jam that literally did not move for half a year.

Those are insane. Cars probably should have some kind of "I'm stuck and need to do something drastic" mode when they're obviously not getting anywhere. I've had several gridlock situations caused by two vehicles wanting to turn into the same/two nearby lots and being mutually blocked, and then nothing ever moves again. The only way I've found to resolve those is upgrading the roads... I think perhaps removing roadside parking can also help.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It’s odd that Fire Trucks and Cops don’t respond to traffic accidents but road work trucks do?

My road maintenance network isn’t set up city wide for rapid response. My first responders are. The gently caress CO?

Also it’s not a Finland thing.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. Not saying there are no issues to iron out but there is dynamic pathing and sims sure seem smarter about picking routes than in the first game.

Will they use all the lanes available on a road?

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
just discovered I cannot use the premade intersections on my raised highway because you can't raise them

lmao

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

nielsm posted:

Yeah I checked. It was a motorbike in the middle of the field.

Those are insane. Cars probably should have some kind of "I'm stuck and need to do something drastic" mode when they're obviously not getting anywhere. I've had several gridlock situations caused by two vehicles wanting to turn into the same/two nearby lots and being mutually blocked, and then nothing ever moves again. The only way I've found to resolve those is upgrading the roads... I think perhaps removing roadside parking can also help.

Literally same situation here. Some... calamity happpened here, and both those lanes were completely gridlocked with a line of hearses trying to get there.

Really start to feel the game slow down drop around 50k people though, keep forgetting how to turn off sims for a performance boost

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 15, 2023

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Vahakyla posted:

It’s odd that Fire Trucks and Cops don’t respond to traffic accidents but road work trucks do?

My road maintenance network isn’t set up city wide for rapid response. My first responders are. The gently caress CO?

Also it’s not a Finland thing.

I'm guessing they either added road maintenance first then needed something for it to do, so they used it for resolving crashes.

Or they introduced crashes, then figured they needed a way to resolve it, so they created a new system to resolve them with agents, and called it road maintenance, instead of extending police/fire/ambulances to do more stuff.

Beats me, in my mind they have this weird habit of throwing in barebones systems without much depth, and focusing on the "simulation" (i.e. agents) aspect of Cities: Skylines, without turning it in to a broader game-y thing.

I kinda find the inclusion of deathcare in these games weird, since that's not really a municipal level concern as far as I know, and not something that I really find fun to deal with? It's another thing you're technically put in charge of, but there's nothing for you to do except build another building to send out agents to deal with it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Count Roland posted:

Will they use all the lanes available on a road?

Yep.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

This game is making me rabidly pro-cop but only for traffic cops. The rest are AB but I want to empower and kit out traffic cops like Judge Dredd.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What an age we live in.

I'm gradually convincing myself to get this game and that's big one.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

piratepilates posted:

I kinda find the inclusion of deathcare in these games weird, since that's not really a municipal level concern as far as I know, and not something that I really find fun to deal with? It's another thing you're technically put in charge of, but there's nothing for you to do except build another building to send out agents to deal with it.

if they wanted to keep the death wave mechanic they should have deaths handled by hospitals and ambulances. could model population health via pollution or disease that way as well

it's like CO have the spark for systems that can result in a bunch of cool scenarios with depth (for example, how do you manage a shock event like a pandemic) but they cut themselves short because it would be inaccessible to people that don't want to care about it

why not have a difficulty screen a la W&R:SR choosing what you want to care about? you can choose to make water treatment infrastructure or just fiddle around making nice parks. privatize everything else :shepspends:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 15, 2023

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I am apparently addicted to starting new cities. About 8 hours in now and I have 6 city save files.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mandoric posted:

Road laws are currently suggestions

this is true to life here in massachussetts

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

It would be a neat system if patrolling police cars either A) made cars behave themselves in a radius or B) caught misbehavers and ticket them for extra $$$$.

I do like the crash logistics but agree with the road maintenance people not being the first responders. They're there to clean up the debris afterwards and/or repair bollards. Also I had someone get into a crash on a bridge and 3-4 cars just landed in the water and the game just lets them die? Sad and realistic in some way but it'd be nice to get emergency boats like how there's helicopters.
(or just helicopters)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Eiba posted:

The cargo economy is still broken? drat. I made a cargo terminal my top priority in my first city because I thought it would do something and when it didn't and I looked up that it was just broken I stopped playing and haven't picked the game up since.

I really like the idea of a more complex industrial chain in a city game, but I'm not going to get invested in building one up until at least the most basic functions are actually there.

I get there are bugs at release, but I would have thought that fixing a building that literally does nothing would be a priority.

Yup, cargo ships only unload, and always leave empty.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

someone made a mod to fix heightmap importing for CS2. if they can actually get water sources working then it should be possible to make actually decent, functional CS2 maps

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
So I decided to gently caress around with parking lots and found a weird issue where a car will pull into parking lot A, stay there for a couple minutes, then leave to go park in Lot B. Which they then leave to go park at Lot A.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Mad Wack posted:

this is true to life here in massachussetts

+1 but Virginia

Unbound posted:

So I decided to gently caress around with parking lots and found a weird issue where a car will pull into parking lot A, stay there for a couple minutes, then leave to go park in Lot B. Which they then leave to go park at Lot A.

still sounding like VA

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Unbound posted:

Still not understanding so many of the complaints about traffic being too realistic???

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Unbound posted:

Sounds like they're dealing drugs.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

cim just getting so redfaced in their car that they off road it across their town which is just two roads at a 90 degree angle

the engine struggling to model the flying teeth and severed limbs as a frustrated cim plows through my playground

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The sedan strikes the Cim in the upper right back tooth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
This is a steel automobile. All craftcimship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with oval steel auotmobiles merging right. On the item is an image of a traffic flow in plastic. The traffic flow is dead.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

The sedan strikes the Cim in the upper right back tooth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jyrraeth posted:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why are there so many dead people in this game? My 150k city with insanely good health & cemetery coverage has a constant pile of 50-100 corpses waiting for pickup literally at all times. I don't remember the obituary section in my similar sized hometown's newspaper being 20 pages every day.

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My current city is only at ~3k. There was a fire in a low-rent flat that killed 30 of its 56 inhabitants because I'm terrible at fire house placement. Building level remained at 'happy' as a line of hearses arrived to pick up the charred remains of 1% of my citizens, they must think I'm a good mayor!

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why are there so many dead people in this game? My 150k city with insanely good health & cemetery coverage has a constant pile of 50-100 corpses waiting for pickup literally at all times. I don't remember the obituary section in my similar sized hometown's newspaper being 20 pages every day.

It is a weird thing how much Cities 1 and now 2 seem to really put a focus on 'deathcare.' I don't know how it works outside of America but I don't think of this as a municipal service worthy of like, Cities:Skylines level management?

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Supporting an international airport with a population of 37k~ the economic balance seems... off to me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It is a weird thing how much Cities 1 and now 2 seem to really put a focus on 'deathcare.' I don't know how it works outside of America but I don't think of this as a municipal service worthy of like, Cities:Skylines level management?

City Coroners pick up bodies if they just drop dead somewhere.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jyrraeth posted:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

skooma512 posted:

City Coroners pick up bodies if they just drop dead somewhere.

Sure but like, Skylines doesn’t have street sweepers. They don’t model social services in various ways (the new welfare office is kind of funny, in the way it works.) Hell, there’s already been bugs with packs of dogs and there’s no animal control.

It just seems weird that Deathcare is something that through two games and a very popular mod of the first being “get rid of that” that they’re like “no actually the mayor manages everyone who dies and it’s a thing you should focus on.”

Especially considering that they have “field” things for specialized industries but graveyards are just a Too Big service building that is 100% replaceable with cremation because no matter your desires we’re cremating you so we don’t have to build another graveyard, so sayeth The Mayor.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 16, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm pretty sure they just wanted to have a reason to put graveyards in the game, since honestly they do take up a decent amount of space in cities.

But maybe some kind of petition system would be better for these:
"Religious society <insert generic sounding name> wishes to build a location in your city of at least X m2. It will consist of a service building and a graveyard field." (Declining/postponing might affect citizen happiness. It's implied that regular traffic to/from it includes transporting the dead but that's outside your budget. Of course, you can't just remove it again.)
"Business entrepreneur McSillyname wishes to build a new indoor shopping mall in your city." (You get to plop some giant building capable of hosting a large number of commercial businesses. Removing or relocating this will probably be expensive.)
"An oil baron has located a deposit near your city and wants permission to develop." (A specific deposit is pointed out and you might need to buy additional tiles, or maybe even evict existing development.)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

nielsm posted:

But maybe some kind of petition system would be better for these:

I like this idea a lot. Imagine if they took it one step further and set up some actual stakes for economic development

"A major real estate developer wants to purchase this parcel of land that is currently occupied by low income cims to redevelop into high end offices and condos."

accepting will place a zone blueprint with roads that you must service with goals and penalties, grants you a substantial bonus to real estate values in that area, attracts higher wealth cims, increases building leveling, causes higher crime rates, contributes to homelessness if you don't build adequate affordable housing, decreases happiness for a time, and reduces usage of public transit in the area in favor of private cars

declining may cause a media campaign denouncing your city for a while, diminish your ability to attract higher wealth cims, and slow the growth or development of zones, but might increase the attractiveness to certain groups in return and make it easier for small businesses or social groups to form in your city

one can dream

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably if you keep telling the property developers to gently caress off the game eventually opens up a copy of workers and resources :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably if you keep telling the property developers to gently caress off the game eventually opens up a copy of workers and resources :v:

that game truly won me over when it became clear with enough planning you can just opt out of bad traffic by never giving people cars. I just wish you could go maximum (S)E Asia and pump out bicycles for your populace

I would love to have depth approaching W&R but the road and transport tools of Cities Skylines. there's a lot that's good and also a lot (especially the road and pedestrian tools) that's really jank