Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

400000 walk off the job in Quebec:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/hundreds-of-thousands-of-quebec-public-sector-workers-on-strike-1.6632407 posted:

Members of four major public sector unions in Quebec walked off the job on Monday and promised another series of strikes later this month if progress isn't made at the bargaining table.

Schools, health-care facilities and social services were disrupted at various points on Monday as the four unions representing a "common front" of some 420,000 workers protested the province's latest contract offer.

The unions announced their members planned to picket again for three days between Nov. 21 and Nov. 23.

Eric Gingras, president of Centrale des syndicats du Quebec, told reporters the province had two weeks to settle before the next walkout.

"Two weeks to negotiate, seven days a week, 24 hours a day … let's negotiate and reach an agreement." Another union official said an agreement in principle was required to put off the 72-hour strike.

The government's latest contract offer was soundly rejected by all labour unions in the province. The offer included a 10.3-per-cent salary increase over five years and a one-time payment of $1,000 to each worker -- a proposal some unions have described as "paltry."

However, Treasury Board president Sonia LeBel responded Monday on X, formerly Twitter, that if unions aren't satisfied with the government's offer, they should submit a constructive counter-offer.

"A negotiation cannot be one way," LeBel wrote.

The government has said that in addition to pay raises, its offer includes more money for workers and shifts it considers priorities, such as nurses working nights and weekends and teachers' aides in primary schools. Workers who earn less than $52,000 a year would also receive an additional one-per-cent increase.

The unions have said the government's proposal doesn't cover inflation.

"10.3 per cent over five years is an insult," said Magali Picard, president of Federation des travailleurs et travailleuses du Quebec. "The message from the common front is clear: if you want a counter-offer, start by making us a real offer."

Unions are demanding a three-year contract with annual increases tied to the inflation rate: two percentage points above inflation in the first year or $100 per week, whichever is more beneficial, followed by three points higher in the second year and four points higher in the third.

One McGill University professor noted that the Quebec labour negotiations exist in a broader context of several high-profile strikes in recent months in North America that have led to big gains for unionized workers, including in the automotive sector.

"That heightened degree of militancy among workers in Canada and the U.S. is really reshaping the power dynamic and reshaping the narrative about work and unions and what workers are entitled to, and it's really raising expectations across the board," said Barry Eidlin, a sociology professor who studies labour movements.

"So (those union wins) really stiffens the resolve of the leadership and it raises the expectations of the membership."

Monday's strike lasted from midnight until 10:30 a.m. in elementary and secondary schools, and until noon in junior colleges. Some health and social services, including mental health care, youth protection and medical imagery were operating between 70 and 85 per cent capacity; however, essential health services were maintained.

For one parents group, there was confusion about what the labour strike could mean for schools in the coming weeks. A union outside the common front and representing some 65,000 Quebec teachers has said it will launch an unlimited general strike on Nov. 23 if an agreement isn't reached.

"(The priority) is always going to be student success and the impact of prolonged strikes will have on this because teachers are one of the most important pieces of the puzzle here," said Katherine Korakis, president of the English Parents Community Association.

"The government keeps saying they prioritize education; well, then they have to show that they prioritize education."

After dropping her kids at a suburban Montreal school, Julie Pitre, a mother of two, said she firmly supported the striking workers.

"They don't have an easy job and they give so much for our children," Pitre said. "I hope they can get what they need."

Later this week, a two-day walkout is planned for Wednesday and Thursday by the union representing 80,000 nurses, auxiliary nurses, respiratory therapists and other health professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
far fewer than that walked off the job, that's just how many people are represented

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Raises tied to inflation should be the default.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Yeah and it's sad like nobody has this. In the US at least idk about trade unions elsewhere.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

Yeah and it's sad like nobody has this. In the US at least idk about trade unions elsewhere.

Here's a handy chart

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Looks like SAG-AFTRA has reached a deal

https://deadline.com/2023/11/sag-strike-ends-actors-studios-deal-contract-1235566470/

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

inevitable when the writers came back, let’s see what’s in the deal though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Arkhamina posted:

our unions agreement was annual wage increases that were = [0.5%+CPI] (minimum 1.5%, maximum 6-7%). turns out we hit the raise cap under genocide joe's economy since this was negotiated before hyperflation. i don't think we'd have gotten that in the contract otherwise though lol

we'll see what happens next contract. i gotta feeling the CPI equation is going ot be fought over now big time by the board, especially that our wages pretty heavily far outstrips private wages after all the recent increases

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:05 on Nov 9, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
california state scientists have announced plans for first ever civil servant strike in state history

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/the-state-worker/article281664388.html

quote:

Scientists in California state government plan to walk off the job next week in what would be California’s first-ever civil servant strike. After three years of fruitless bargaining, followed by an impasse declaration and mediation talks, the California Association of Professional Scientists will stage a rolling three-day strike Nov. 15-17, the union announced Thursday in an email to members.

The union has asked for significant, double-digit raises — which some experts have previously characterized as unrealistic. After reaching impasse in late October, CAPS’s bargaining team met with the state and a mediator on Wednesday. Their next meeting is scheduled for Nov. 28.

Jon Ortiz, a media consultant for the union, confirmed the strike dates and said more details would be released “soon.” A CalHR spokesperson did not directly address the strike when asked for comment. “The state is engaged in mediation with CAPS with a mediator assigned from the Public Employment Relations Board and plans to continue in good faith with the mediation process in an effort to reach agreement,” wrote spokesperson Nicole Skow in an emailed statement.

A post on the Reddit forum r/CAStateWorkers included the clarification that state scientists would not be asked to strike for all three days. The post also directed members to read the CAPS “strike standards” in preparation for the work stoppage. “Specific worksites will be contacted to begin our roll out of this stand-up strike. We will share more details later this week,” the post reads, in part. “Now is the time for State Scientists to use our collective power and stand together in solidarity.”

SEIU Local 1000, the largest state worker union, planned a one-day walkout in 2016. But the strike was canceled at the last minute when the union and then-Gov. Jerry Brown returned to the table and hammered out a deal.

there is a huge gap between what rank and file are pushing for and what the state has provided, and anecdotally everyone in my office is ready to hit the picket line. a lot of rank and file were vocal about striking when we rejected the state's offer last year, and i'm sure that the labor successes over the last few months have only hardened opinions

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

flint plant voted down the ford deal. granted it’s just one plant, but it may not be a done deal after all. very interesting to watch - I trust UAW membership, whatever call they make.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

https://mastodon.social/@tofugolem/111378994833861711

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1721574645747609673

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

oh HELL yeah

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

:owned:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Feeling the heat there, Jimmy?

I'm guessing his initial call of the strike was predicting the auto companies would crush the workers.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Alkydere posted:

Feeling the heat there, Jimmy?

I'm guessing his initial call of the strike was predicting the auto companies would crush the workers.

predicting...stroking himself...your choice, really

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Uhhh, this is NOT good. Cramer is never right about anything.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://youtu.be/NeS9I57tFVU?si=rX9P9sDhEs9Wg00R

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Once again feeling betrayed by Bernie Sanders for him talking them down

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Geight posted:

Once again feeling betrayed by Bernie Sanders for him talking them down

Dude wasn't going to fight. The whole point of him screaming "FITE ME!" like that was to look like a "cool dude" in a room where he knew a dozen other people would be available to "talk him down" before he had to actually risk a fight. It was performative toxic masculinity at its finest.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in case his remarks about being a self-made CEO at the beginning made you curious, I looked it up and he inherited his business from his father at age 20 and currently has a net worth in excess of $30m

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

vyelkin posted:

in case his remarks about being a self-made CEO at the beginning made you curious, I looked it up and he inherited his business from his father at age 20 and currently has a net worth in excess of $30m

I just assumed this

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The student workers at my place are organizing. :black101:

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

The student workers at my place are organizing. :black101:

i forget where i read the story, but it wrote in jest UAW should be renamed United Academic Workers because of how union numbers have grown purely from the rise in academic unions

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

NoU posted:

i forget where i read the story, but it wrote in jest UAW should be renamed United Academic Workers because of how union numbers have grown purely from the rise in academic unions

it’s been “United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America” for ages so what’s one more A!! especially where I am (west coast) the union is literally like 98% academia, especially the UC system

edit: can add in a little gAmbling too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arms too, there's gun manufactures mixed in with the milieu

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I'd be fine if they added Amazon as well. Very fine indeed.

I feel we'd fall more under Teamsters. However Solidarity is Solidarity.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Cobbled together a successful strike vote at my store to join in the big national action that we're doing tomorrow (and some stores have already kicked off today), have got the strike notice all typed up and scheduled to fire off before our first shift tomorrow. Somehow I'm more anxious now that all the stuff I can do is done and I just have to wait.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Geight posted:

Cobbled together a successful strike vote at my store to join in the big national action that we're doing tomorrow (and some stores have already kicked off today), have got the strike notice all typed up and scheduled to fire off before our first shift tomorrow. Somehow I'm more anxious now that all the stuff I can do is done and I just have to wait.

hell yeah!! I’ll be on the picket line at another one tomorrow

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
UE is signing up a lot of student workers too, I went to their national convention a couple months ago and they had a half dozen new charters handed out, all but one were at colleges. I would be surprised if "electrical, radio and machine workers" made up a quarter of the total membership.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1725187522110591051

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

that’s a very tight vote, I don’t like that. you want these contracts to pass big (like at UPS) or fail big. close votes are trouble.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah idk why it was close

kingcobweb do you know

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

yeah that seems very close and some other shop also failed a ford vote i believe

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah idk why it was close

kingcobweb do you know

no insight. I don’t even work for UAW any more

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

https://headlight.news/2023/11/16/uaw-workers-approve-gm-contract/

quote:

According to the Detroit News, 19,683 workers voted in favor of the deal, coming in at 54.7%, while 16,274 voted against. The company’s skilled trades employees seemingly voted in favor of the contract, by a 2-to-1 margin; however, production workers were much less enthused.

The deal received support from about 82% of workers at parts plants and distribution centers as well as 96% at the Ultium Cells battery plant in Ohio, Automotive News reported.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They didn't fully eliminate tiers and did not win all the benefits packages they wanted to iirc. UAWD, the reform caucus that the new leadership like Fain belong to, ultimately decided to Abstain as their official opinion on the TAs which speaks to a pretty split opinion from membership. A really close vote at certain workplaces is not surprising.

also regionally the UAW is still a mess, as an example on these votes, some shops you get multiple membership meetings with Q&As, scheduled for different shifts, and material distributed via every possible communication channel.

Other places you get less than 24 hours to read a 400 page TA and decide your vote lol. I think overall the mood is "this has been an unbelievable step forward compared to the last negotiations, but fain & the caucus promised more and the strike could have continued". My 2c

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
While the new contract has some big gains, it doesn't regain all the concessions that were given back in 2008, especially regarding retirement benefits. Autoworkers remember that back in the 70s and 80s, the people doing their jobs could afford to buy a house and provide for their family with a single income while being on a secure path to retirement. People were hoping for fundamental change, not incremental improvement. There are limits to what can be done in the context of labor negotiations, the real enemy isn't your boss or the company you work for, it's global capitalism.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

I think overall the mood is "this has been an unbelievable step forward compared to the last negotiations, but fain & the caucus promised more and the strike could have continued". My 2c
I don't know anyone involved in the big 3 bargaining, but in my (non-auto industry) UAW local, this is the opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Our store was fully shutdown today, there was one anti-union worker who was talking a big game about how the manager was going to keep us open anyways and how he thought the picket would only serve to increase business, and absolutely none of it materialized. We had a modest picket outside for four hours, getting folks to sign petitions and informing them about our working conditions. Some local DSA lads stepped up to beef up our numbers, it was very much appreciated. It took us almost a year to get some direct action going but I'm pretty happy with our first foray. :unsmith: