Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Do be aware country with low country rank has exuberant interest rate. While you should industrialize fast and build as much as you can, some country can go into debt hole that's hard to climb out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
I think I need 'a little' and 'eventually' defined in numbers, since what usually happens when I try deficit spending instead of maintaining break-even income is:

1. Me trying to maintain a 50% debt
  2. Me slipping to 60% debt
  3. Interest is now either too high to claw back, or manages to outweigh income
  4. Me eating poo poo

It definitely lets you industrialize way faster! It's just figuring out how to not eat poo poo.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

You want to leave yourself some room to maneuver. Holding debt and getting away with it generally presumes that in a pinch you can hike taxes or just stop building for a bit to dig into your investment pool backlog.

If things are looking marginal, there's no shame in pausing construction for a bit to pay down the debt with the investment pool.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The deadliest trap is reaching a point where you need to be constantly building in order to maintain demand but doing so leaves you at a deficit, and not building causes a demand crash that cripples your industry. I think what you need to do to beat that issue is exporting said resources in order to keep demand going, though

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

toasterwarrior posted:

The deadliest trap is reaching a point where you need to be constantly building in order to maintain demand but doing so leaves you at a deficit, and not building causes a demand crash that cripples your industry. I think what you need to do to beat that issue is exporting said resources in order to keep demand going, though

The problem is, by the time you get to that point, you're the largest economy in the world by far, and the AI isn't good enough at the game to generate enough demand to make exports anything more than a drop in the bucket compared to your domestic consumption of anything. I don't think I've ever had a game where exports were a significant aspect of my economy beyond the early game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Do be aware country with low country rank has exuberant interest rate. While you should industrialize fast and build as much as you can, some country can go into debt hole that's hard to climb out of.

Exorbitant

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The one thing I have left to do as Brazil in 1860 is expand coffee buy orders by 150%. Not sure how I'll manage that, when nobody else in the world wants it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Good Dumplings posted:

I think I need 'a little' and 'eventually' defined in numbers, since what usually happens when I try deficit spending instead of maintaining break-even income is:

4. Me eating poo poo

It definitely lets you industrialize way faster! It's just figuring out how to not eat poo poo.

If you hover over the budget number at the top or the expenses number in your budget screen, you'll see a line labeled "Balance (excluding Temporary Income and Expenses)". Keep that value above 0.

Construction expenses count as temporary expenses, but interest doesn't, so that value shows what your net income would be if you hit "Pause Construction". So as long as that number is positive, you can bring your income back into the positives just by pausing all construction, and you'll eventually be able to pay off your debt like that (as long as you don't get into an inconveniently-timed war, anyway).

If that value goes negative, then you're in trouble, because even stopping construction won't put you back in the green, and you'll have to take more drastic measures like raising taxes, cutting government spending, or bullying money out of your neighbors.

If all of that doesn't get you back into the green, then your fate is basically out of your hands.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Also, the game helpfully turns your cashflow number on the status bar red if debt > 50% OR structural balance < £0.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Vizuyos posted:

If you hover over the budget number at the top or the expenses number in your budget screen, you'll see a line labeled "Balance (excluding Temporary Income and Expenses)". Keep that value above 0.

Construction expenses count as temporary expenses, but interest doesn't, so that value shows what your net income would be if you hit "Pause Construction". So as long as that number is positive, you can bring your income back into the positives just by pausing all construction, and you'll eventually be able to pay off your debt like that (as long as you don't get into an inconveniently-timed war, anyway).

If that value goes negative, then you're in trouble, because even stopping construction won't put you back in the green, and you'll have to take more drastic measures like raising taxes, cutting government spending, or bullying money out of your neighbors.

If all of that doesn't get you back into the green, then your fate is basically out of your hands.

Ok, that makes it all concrete for me, thanks :)

Mandoric posted:

Also, the game helpfully turns your cashflow number on the status bar red if debt > 50% OR structural balance < £0.

That's what the UI was trying to say??? I had no idea what red/green meant besides 'you're losing/gaining A Lot'.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Good Dumplings posted:

Ok, that makes it all concrete for me, thanks :)

That's what the UI was trying to say??? I had no idea what red/green meant besides 'you're losing/gaining A Lot'.

Green is actively gaining reserves (and I think off the top of my head it turns gold if you're reserve softcapped? You absolutely do not want to be reserve softcapped), white is "financing construction but not operations on bonds or reserves", red is "financing operations or heavily indebted".

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 16, 2023

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I didnr play the beta so I'm unfamiliar with how the new mil system works. But I'm currently in like year 2 of trying to upgrade my man of wars to ironclad and seem to be no closer to it happening. Is there something I'm missing besides pushing the button and making mil ships available?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I think the implementation 1.5 ended up going with was deleting the relevant naval bases behind the scenes and replacing them with new ones? What's the labor market look like in the states the bases are in?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Vizuyos posted:

Bless up, I needed this

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

really queer Christmas posted:

I didnr play the beta so I'm unfamiliar with how the new mil system works. But I'm currently in like year 2 of trying to upgrade my man of wars to ironclad and seem to be no closer to it happening. Is there something I'm missing besides pushing the button and making mil ships available?

ship upgrades just take for loving ever (like a decade with no [?] indication of progress)

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

FPyat posted:

The one thing I have left to do as Brazil in 1860 is expand coffee buy orders by 150%. Not sure how I'll manage that, when nobody else in the world wants it.

You'll need to dump coffee into foreign markets. Even if it says there's no demand for it, if you're selling it for the same price as their luxury drink of choice they'll start buying it. Eliminating your export tariffs on coffee will help a lot.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Good Dumplings posted:

4. Me eating poo poo

My rule of thumb is to not go into debt so hard that I'm still losing money when I'm in maximum revenue mode (v high taxes with every reasonable valuable consumption tax) because otherwise you need to stop construction in order to stop losing money and that's bad

I usually end up moving between periods of higher and lower taxation for legitimacy reasons and the former gives a chance to occasionally catch back up on debt (or if it turns out I'm actually making more money than I need, extra construction)

Also in 1.5 military mobilisation is a decent way to leverage your credit without putting yourself in a continually increasing debt position, since troops are much more expensive now with the bonus mobilisation options

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Blorange posted:

You'll need to dump coffee into foreign markets. Even if it says there's no demand for it, if you're selling it for the same price as their luxury drink of choice they'll start buying it. Eliminating your export tariffs on coffee will help a lot.

I have maybe 25-30 export routes going and I'm only two-thirds of the way there. Most of the routes stay stuck at 5 units.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Considering getting this since it's on special and steam reviews (I know) seem to be trending more positive. I never played a Vic before. I love EU4, and was one of the few who actually enjoyed IR. I liked CK2, bounced off CK3 because I felt like I had so little control over anything, and bounced off HOI4 hard because the tutorial was bad even by PDX standards and I had no idea what I was doing or why I was doing it. Stellaris was just okay. Should I get this game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

no

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Get this game, it's like SimCity if every couple years a revolution/war with another city happened and you gained an extra city but got into ultrabankruptcy in exchange and thus got more revolutions.

Might be overhyping it since it's my first paradox, but it's been really fun personally.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's only 1870 and the new patch plays at about half the speed the old version did.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
The new military stuff is great in general, except for two things:

1. There's a lot of states an army can be in where you can't really mess with it, but the UI doesn't consistently tell you that. Sometimes it'll let you click the buttons and the buttons just don't do anything. The biggest one is if you try to transfer units to an army that's busy, sometimes it'll just transfer the units to a whole new army instead (and not tell you)

2. Fleets repair way too fast right now. Opposed naval invasions take years now. You have to win 4-5 land battles in a row to actually win the naval invasion, but your troops can't start one of those battles while there's hostile ships around. So your ships have to drive off the enemy ships first, then launch the ground attack. But in the time it takes for your ground troops to finish one battle, the enemy fleet will fully repair and come back for more, and they won't actually engage until your ground troops finish the first land battle and are ready to start the second. So you'll have also have to do three naval battles between each land battle. It ends up taking a minimum of about 20 battles just to get your troops' feet planted solidly on the ground. I guess if you're the Royal Navy you could put several fleets around your invasion fleet just to defend it from the enemy, but that feels extravagant for most other navies.

FPyat posted:

I have maybe 25-30 export routes going and I'm only two-thirds of the way there. Most of the routes stay stuck at 5 units.

You have to drive down the price of coffee in your market, that'll increase how much each trade route exports.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Considering getting this since it's on special and steam reviews (I know) seem to be trending more positive. I never played a Vic before. I love EU4, and was one of the few who actually enjoyed IR. I liked CK2, bounced off CK3 because I felt like I had so little control over anything, and bounced off HOI4 hard because the tutorial was bad even by PDX standards and I had no idea what I was doing or why I was doing it. Stellaris was just okay. Should I get this game?

If you liked the building up individual cities into huge metropoles and politics parts of Imperator then you will definitely like V3

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Wafflecopper posted:

I dunno, HOI's not that complicated so you'll probably bounce off this too

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can someone explain how exactly trade works? Feels like every time I try to set up a route it's just trading less than 10 units and never grows. I usually play outside of Europe but I've got access to America, France, England, and Prussia for trading

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gort posted:

I bounced of it too for similar reason - I've played one game of it and I even kind of "won" it but everything was so cryptic and unresponsive I had little desire to play more.

I think Vic3 is a kind of game you should try if you liked I:R and the theme sounds like your jam, but I'm not sure Vic3 is ready for a recommendation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gort posted:

I figured out every other pdx game I played :shrug:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So I've been doing the whole "spread out your development" thing and it's been doing alright, especially since it does mean that I'm actually doing much more towards raising average SoL across my entire country by going to the peasants instead of hoping they migrate to where the work is (which AFAIK barely fuckin happens).

I still run up against peasants not promoting into laborers annoyingly often though, and it sucks when the issue isn't that they can't promote but rather the industry won't be profitable enough to employ all of them, leading me to wonder just how exactly I'll do that without compromising my current supply or whatever.

And on a related note, drat did they really slow down migration though. Is there a list of things I need to really kickstart migration waves? I assume it's just more liberal laws and better SoL than average, and so I should use agitators as much as I can to get stuff rolling. I even managed to go all the way from Oligarchy to Census Voting in one swoop thanks to an agitator that way, hah.

EDIT: Additional question: do you guys think it's worth boosting the institution level of Religious Schooling? Making the clergy even tougher to shift sucks, but it does bring up education access a lot, and that's pretty key for early game de-peasantization.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 16, 2023

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Religious schooling can be worth boosting if the church isn’t already a powerful interest group. Although yes you’ll boost their power by boosting it, I think the more educated people are, the less they’ll follow them as an IG.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Can someone explain how exactly trade works? Feels like every time I try to set up a route it's just trading less than 10 units and never grows. I usually play outside of Europe but I've got access to America, France, England, and Prussia for trading

Trade is fundamentally not that complex, but it can be hard to know how to use it in game. It moves goods from one market into another market, or more accurately, it adds buy/sell orders to one market and adds the other type of order to the other market. This impacts the market price in each market according to the change in buy / sell orders. The differential between the buy and sell prices is used to generate income for workers at your trade centres. Tarrifs apply to this as a tax, which generates income for the state, but make the trade itself less profitable, which means both lower trade volume and less income for trade centres (they essentially make the purchasing state pay more for the good without the extra cost going towards trade centre income). The more trade levels you have in total, the bigger your trade centre gets, but a trade centre can only grow if it's earning enough profit to pay all its workers (in other words you can't just export stuff at a loss to generate trade centres). Trade centres are a zero construction, zero infrastructure source of jobs and urbanisation so they can be very useful for improving job quality in the early game.

I find it's easiest to approach trade in the context of which goods you want to be cheap inside your market, and which ones you want to be expensive. Exporting coal and iron might seem like a bad thing because it increases the cost of your other industries, but it also means that your coal and iron mines (which become very efficient once you get the relevant industrial PMs) will be making more profit. Importing goods such as furniture and clothing might seem like pure profit for nothing which also drives up your SOL, but you're also making your furniture and clothing factories less profitable. Exporting agricultural luxury goods such as opium or coffee generates income at little SOL cost, but it also encourages the auto-build queue to invest more into production of those goods, which means more of your investment pool going into agriculture and less into manufacturing (which has a negative impact on your political situation re: landowners / industrialists)

toasterwarrior posted:

And on a related note, drat did they really slow down migration though. Is there a list of things I need to really kickstart migration waves? I assume it's just more liberal laws and better SoL than average, and so I should use agitators as much as I can to get stuff rolling. I even managed to go all the way from Oligarchy to Census Voting in one swoop thanks to an agitator that way, hah.

EDIT: Additional question: do you guys think it's worth boosting the institution level of Religious Schooling? Making the clergy even tougher to shift sucks, but it does bring up education access a lot, and that's pretty key for early game de-peasantization.

Just have good laws, high SOL, and migration attractors (greener grass campaign, happy intelligensia). There seems to be something of a per state soft cap on migration around the 30-50k per year mark but you can get it higher than that without mass migrations

Also yes in 1.5 I am very pro religious schooling, education (and healthcare) are both far more necessary now. Having a powerful church can be good due to the authority boost and they often get decent reformist leader traits to use to beat up landowners.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the answers, I'll keep at it and hopefully figure out how to get buildings productive enough to actually hire people. Generally I've turned off capitalist auto-build mode and so have been heavily microing everything, which gave me a headache with figuring out where to fix resource problems, but I'm hoping they fixed art academy spam now and so I'll turn it on for my next relearning run.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Trade is fundamentally not that complex, but it can be hard to know how to use it in game. It moves goods from one market into another market, or more accurately, it adds buy/sell orders to one market and adds the other type of order to the other market. This impacts the market price in each market according to the change in buy / sell orders. The differential between the buy and sell prices is used to generate income for workers at your trade centres. Tarrifs apply to this as a tax, which generates income for the state, but make the trade itself less profitable, which means both lower trade volume and less income for trade centres (they essentially make the purchasing state pay more for the good without the extra cost going towards trade centre income). The more trade levels you have in total, the bigger your trade centre gets, but a trade centre can only grow if it's earning enough profit to pay all its workers (in other words you can't just export stuff at a loss to generate trade centres). Trade centres are a zero construction, zero infrastructure source of jobs and urbanisation so they can be very useful for improving job quality in the early game.

I find it's easiest to approach trade in the context of which goods you want to be cheap inside your market, and which ones you want to be expensive. Exporting coal and iron might seem like a bad thing because it increases the cost of your other industries, but it also means that your coal and iron mines (which become very efficient once you get the relevant industrial PMs) will be making more profit. Importing goods such as furniture and clothing might seem like pure profit for nothing which also drives up your SOL, but you're also making your furniture and clothing factories less profitable. Exporting agricultural luxury goods such as opium or coffee generates income at little SOL cost, but it also encourages the auto-build queue to invest more into production of those goods, which means more of your investment pool going into agriculture and less into manufacturing (which has a negative impact on your political situation re: landowners / industrialists)

Okay, thanks. I got how the buy/sell orders stuff works wrt trade, but yeah I don't really have a good idea of how to grow routes I need for imports or exports. I guess try expanding the stuff that relies on the imports and see if the price changes grow the route. Good point about the agricultural exports, though as Brazil I've got a journal entry I really oughta do that requires a bunch of plantations

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eiba posted:

Out of curiosity, what alternative do you think there should be for the need for a lot of iron and coal in a 19th century industrialization game?

You can run a modest agricultural economy, but if the game never lets an agricultural economy compete with an industrialized power... isn't that just historical? What interesting decisions do you think are lacking? I'm interested in could-have-been a-historical alternatives, and I think in the political sphere those are well supported with anarchist states and such. But I don't get the complaint that you have to get a ton of coal and iron every game. That's just the 19th century economic reality.
It's a mistake to think of industry as solely being iron and coal based. Denmark industrialized off of its agricultural sector, admittedly to the surprise of its neighbors, by essentially slotting into the British industrial machine as an industrialized food supplier. Obviously this path should become less viable as a country grows larger, but smaller countries essentially hitching a ride on the industrialization of its neighbors should be possible - even if might leave them vulnerable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gort posted:

I've never figured out HoI either. I guess the kind of person who likes it is motivated enough to learn what all the 25 stats every unit does, and which ones, if any, actually matter, but that poo poo is entirely opaque to a new player, and really uninteresting to learn.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a mistake to think of industry as solely being iron and coal based. Denmark industrialized off of its agricultural sector, admittedly to the surprise of its neighbors, by essentially slotting into the British industrial machine as an industrialized food supplier. Obviously this path should become less viable as a country grows larger, but smaller countries essentially hitching a ride on the industrialization of its neighbors should be possible - even if might leave them vulnerable.
That's fascinating! And oddly enough, possible in Victoria 3. I've played a minor power a few times and basically solved industrialization by joining the British market and just making the few most profitable factories that fit into their economy. Groceries were always a remarkably profitable good. I wonder if that whole system was made with the Danish example in mind because it fits perfectly.

It's not a very viable path for an aspiring great power, but basically anyone in the British market has a much different industrialization game based on how this works.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the answers, I'll keep at it and hopefully figure out how to get buildings productive enough to actually hire people. Generally I've turned off capitalist auto-build mode and so have been heavily microing everything, which gave me a headache with figuring out where to fix resource problems, but I'm hoping they fixed art academy spam now and so I'll turn it on for my next relearning run.

There's basically no excuse for not using the autonomous investment pool unless you're incredibly anal about having a ~perfect economy~ and it makes it much easier to completely crush the AI economically if you play without it. The game is also like 50 times more fun when you can just focus on boosting up the construction industry, war industries, and infrastructure while keeping an eye on one or two other key sectors and let the private sector handle everything else. And when you do shift into a late game command economy it is a powerful and unique feeling compared to the usual "guiding hand" you play in a state under LF.

Eiba posted:

I've played a minor power a few times and basically solved industrialization by joining the British market and just making the few most profitable factories that fit into their economy. Groceries were always a remarkably profitable good. I wonder if that whole system was made with the Danish example in mind because it fits perfectly.

It's not a very viable path for an aspiring great power, but basically anyone in the British market has a much different industrialization game based on how this works.

The indirect SOL changes in 1.5 make this less viable, it is hard to make pops want groceries now because it's much harder to get a lot of pops into the 20 SOL category where they stop eating basic foods. But groceries are still a good way to essentially convert useless agricultural output into useful factory output (factories outside of tier 1 tech are owned by capitalists so profit made by factories is inherently better than that made by farms)

p.s. Hotfix patch dropped already fixing a number of reported issues, although not fixing the "AI steals my armies" issue and some other issues relating to the new job satisfaction system

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've said it before but the "issue" with Vicky is that even an extremely dumbed down model of a consumer economy is difficult to manage. Like I more or less knew how the mechanics work and it still took me a couple tries to get the basic industrial loop off the ground. Crusader Kings is also very different but I think people intuitively understand the personal relationships a lot more. HoI4 isn't hard so much as there's a billion statistics andb modifiers and the actual gameplay is just figuring out how to stack the best ones on your units. Eu4 and Stellaris are more along the lines of Civ, But More So and are thus easier to grasp

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

i think people who don’t get most paradox games just don’t understand that you don’t need to understand every stat you can just kinda do things most of the time and succeed if you’re one of the strong nations, and you’re irrelevant if you’re a small nation

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I cant tell if being unable to ship troops through the bosphorus as romania with only their lil black sea port is a bug or WAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

There's basically no excuse for not using the autonomous investment pool unless you're incredibly anal about having a ~perfect economy~ and it makes it much easier to completely crush the AI economically if you play without it. The game is also like 50 times more fun when you can just focus on boosting up the construction industry, war industries, and infrastructure while keeping an eye on one or two other key sectors and let the private sector handle everything else. And when you do shift into a late game command economy it is a powerful and unique feeling compared to the usual "guiding hand" you play in a state under LF.

The investment pool is pratical indeed, though I noticed that if you play a developing country (like New Granada for example) it'll build many "profitable" industries in low pop regions, which will then stay underemployed :v: