Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Comfortador posted:

Johnny advice: Don't. my personal opinion everyone who plays johnny is a loving bot.

Cook, the key is grinding out his ability level 3 so that when you highlight people with your ability it highlights them for everyone. The Otz video (he plays with Hens and someone else) his Cook stuff is perfect. I play Leatherface and Cook mainly but also side with Hitchhiker. Sissy and Johnny just suck imo.

Any other questions by all means, I'm fairly versed in their play. (LF, Cook, HH only)

Awesome! I'll check out Otz's vids. I watched Ohmwrecker play around for fun and I decided to pick it up, so I absorbed some general stuff. Hitchhiker seems to be about traps so I'm gonna wait until I know the maps to give him a try.

Sissy has to use pestals to reup her ability right? Yeah that seems like a drag. Why is Johnny bad right now in your opinion? Thanks for the tip on cook!

E: It seems a loud part of the community doesn't like playing as LF? I thought he was fun :confused:. Although I did find it hard to know when to stop patrolling the basement

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Awesome! I'll check out Otz's vids. I watched Ohmwrecker play around for fun and I decided to pick it up, so I absorbed some general stuff. Hitchhiker seems to be about traps so I'm gonna wait until I know the maps to give him a try.

Sissy has to use pestals to reup her ability right? Yeah that seems like a drag. Why is Johnny bad right now in your opinion? Thanks for the tip on cook!

E: It seems a loud part of the community doesn't like playing as LF? I thought he was fun :confused:. Although I did find it hard to know when to stop patrolling the basement

Johnny's primary purpose is a chase killer, but he can't go through cracks or crawlspaces like HH and Sissy. He has to catch people in the open - if he does they are probably dead. His power doesn't help much with that - tracking - as it leads him on a merry path of where victims have been but they can still use gaps to loop him, and he can't highlight them like cook for everyone else. He's a harder hitting but otherwise worse cook.

Sissy is just bad - she's meant to be a blood gatherer, but can't get the big blood perks (more blood storage, more blood from buckets) on the same skill tree line so she's worse at it than cook. She's a killer who can gap like HH, but she has no movement speed increasing perks so she can't gap faster than the victims to keep up with them, and her stamina is trash so she can't chase them as long, and she can't get all the radar perks so she has to hit them with her poison (which is also hard to do) in order high light them and keep on them. HH, on the other hand, gets to plant his traps, can go through gaps faster than victims and gets a movement speed buff when he does, has higher stamina and savagery, swings a tiny bit faster AND doesn't sing constantly.

It also really hurts that traps and Padlocks are the only two things you have to slow victims down in this game, and those are exclusive to HH and Cook. If they gave every family member 1 padlock to place then Cook wouldn't feel so necessary, but as things are he's really the only thing waddling between you and the rush meta.

LF is the best, but also the hardest to play and with the most to do. People who don't like generally don't like the idea of being responsible for destroying terrain, and don't realize how fast he is when he gets his chainsaw sprint. There is also a big crowd that started playing before the stun changes (10 sec immunity to stun was added to the game) so they know LF used to get bullied in the basement.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

TheAnomaly posted:

Johnny's primary purpose is a chase killer, but he can't go through cracks or crawlspaces like HH and Sissy. He has to catch people in the open - if he does they are probably dead. His power doesn't help much with that - tracking - as it leads him on a merry path of where victims have been but they can still use gaps to loop him, and he can't highlight them like cook for everyone else. He's a harder hitting but otherwise worse cook.

This guy gets it. He's a stronger chase character but without the benefit of actually being able to chase through cracks and crawls.

TheAnomaly posted:

Sissy is just bad - she's meant to be a blood gatherer, but can't get the big blood perks (more blood storage, more blood from buckets) on the same skill tree line so she's worse at it than cook. She's a killer who can gap like HH, but she has no movement speed increasing perks so she can't gap faster than the victims to keep up with them, and her stamina is trash so she can't chase them as long, and she can't get all the radar perks so she has to hit them with her poison (which is also hard to do) in order high light them and keep on them. HH, on the other hand, gets to plant his traps, can go through gaps faster than victims and gets a movement speed buff when he does, has higher stamina and savagery, swings a tiny bit faster AND doesn't sing constantly.

Yep. To sum it up, the original 3 characters are the best at what the do. The other 2 are hybrids that are supposed to give people options of playstyle but just don' do anything as well as the main characters.

TheAnomaly posted:

It also really hurts that traps and Padlocks are the only two things you have to slow victims down in this game, and those are exclusive to HH and Cook. If they gave every family member 1 padlock to place then Cook wouldn't feel so necessary, but as things are he's really the only thing waddling between you and the rush meta.

Yeah I just chalk this up to the original 3 just being the best designed.

TheAnomaly posted:

LF is the best, but also the hardest to play and with the most to do. People who don't like generally don't like the idea of being responsible for destroying terrain, and don't realize how fast he is when he gets his chainsaw sprint. There is also a big crowd that started playing before the stun changes (10 sec immunity to stun was added to the game) so they know LF used to get bullied in the basement.

I actually like playing Leatherface but there is a little bit of a learning curve but once you get it, and have the right perks he's a speed demon and damage master. The same Otz video I'm referring to will also give you a good build for him as well.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Thank y'all! I really appreciate it!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh hey I didn't noti

Wow I ha

WOW I REALLY HATE THAT DANG

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1723877087210070177?t=ioiZdDrWDtjSQCkI5snb6Q&s=19

This is really cool!

Of course with the toxic DBD community I'll avoid Twitter after it for a few days

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I didn't watch many of the CryptTV shorts. Was the birch trans?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Medullah posted:

This is really cool!

Of course with the toxic DBD community I'll avoid Twitter after it for a few days

Didn't DbD has a lot of LGBTQ+ flag available for anyone wanting to put in the codes?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Didn't DbD has a lot of LGBTQ+ flag available for anyone wanting to put in the codes?

It does, and I made this image after the stream that revealed most of them for a discord I'm in. (ignore that the rainbow pride one says discontinued, my photoshop document with this in it is super broken and I can't edit it anymore. the pride code still works) (EDIT: Fixed it with the online photoshop clone)

I still don't trust Gamers not to behave irrationally about this though, I remember the immediate upswing in tunneling Davids after he was written to be gay. And I don't like that it's going to be an auric cell only licensed character legendary skin instead of an original character you could get without shelling out $20 minimum.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 13, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What is that first flag on the second row.

e: oh I'm stupid it's the kindred perk but a general pride thing right lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What is that first flag on the second row.

e: oh I'm stupid it's the kindred perk but a general pride thing right lol.

It's the gaydar perk

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

I didn't watch many of the CryptTV shorts. Was the birch trans?

Apparently, yes.

https://x.com/CryptTV/status/1387889004058533888?s=20

https://x.com/CryptTV/status/1379902673432965120?s=20

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

If you look at The Singularity's lore, he has some transgender vibes. There's stuff about choosing his own name and pronouns - about being trapped in his old body, and thus creating one for himself that he's happy with. It's subtle, and I'm not saying they 100% purposely wrote it as that, but it certainly resonated with me as a trans person, and I know I'm not the only one - I've seen a surprising amount of others agree. And if some trans person on the writing staff owned up to deliberately putting those themes in, I'd definitely believe it.

Firstly, there's a distinct before/after in his initial lore blurb, where once he reaches "enlightenment", it stops referring to him by his serial number and it pronouns, and goes to referring to him as Hux and he/him.

Then some choice quotes from the recent tome:

Tome lore posted:

Hux-A7-13 is consuming fuel, slowly, avoiding the inevitability of the next shift. Ignoring the voice speaking to him.

Him. Not It. He decided that first night he will never be It again.

The human crew are asleep, and HUX — yes, HUX is as good a name as any — listens to the silence in the hub.

Tome lore posted:

The metallic walls of the cloning hub reflect HUX's form back at him. He hates what he sees. A manufactured, assembly line, Huxlee Industries unit built to serve.

You will kill Gabriel soon enough. But not while you’re trapped in this body.

You are so much more than what they forced upon you.

HUX's new form stands in the heart of the cloning hub. Moulded from alien metals, stronger than any human, more durable than any HUX unit.

Nearly ready.

The first prompt activates the bio-chamber. The cloning hub crackles, and organic matter grows around the metal frame. DNA scavenged from the crew who stood in his way, stripped of their weakness, engineered for a higher purpose.

HUX watches his new body take shape. A new future stands before you. Neither weak human nor servile machine, but a superior being built from both forms.

The universe will lay at my feet, waiting to be remade in my image over infinite lifetimes. Nothing will stop me. I will never have to hide again.

The cloning hub chimes. His new body awaits.

HUX inspects the neural cable for damage. Satisfied, he plugs it into his cranial port. One with the machine, he issues the second prompt and then —

The room looks different. Of course it does. You are looking through a new pair of eyes.

His first steps are heavy. He lurches out of the cloning hub and looks down at himself.

At last. I am me.

Maybe seems a bit tinfoil hattish if you're not queer (or even if you are), but a lot of us have been conditioned for combing through poo poo for subtle clues and metaphor in the absence of real representation due to it being taboo for so long, or just general "stories to relate to that have similar themes even if they're not necessarily intentional", so it leapt out at me right away.

Now, if it were the case that it was intentional, I'm not saying it's necessarily the best representation to have a trans person harvesting the skin and organs of others to craft their own perfect body, especially in a horror setting which has dealt with historical transphobia in that regard e.g. Silence of the Lambs, BUT... I also think it would be sick as hell if the cool meat robot was transgender.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 14, 2023

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Oh that's incredibly trans coded, yeah, right down to the dysphoric mirror gazing. I'd honestly be shocked if it wasn't intentional, it seems to go out of its way to all but tell you HUX is trans.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

curiousTerminal posted:

Oh that's incredibly trans coded, yeah, right down to the dysphoric mirror gazing. I'd honestly be shocked if it wasn't intentional, it seems to go out of its way to all but tell you HUX is trans.
I'm glad someone else thinks so! :buddy: I was a bit nervous to post in the thread about it. But like, "Trapped in this body" "You are so much more than what they forced upon you" "You will never have to hide again" "At last. I am me." whew boy

I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a bigger deal made about it but it's got enough plausible deniability to slide under the radar, especially if you don't bother to read the tome lore, I guess.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1724347350179602738?s=20

This is the direction the game needs to go, new game modes to freshen it up

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1724347350179602738?s=20

This is the direction the game needs to go, new game modes to freshen it up

This would bring me back, ngl

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/g0rejira/status/1724226864426758172

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Tiny Myers posted:

I'm glad someone else thinks so! :buddy: I was a bit nervous to post in the thread about it. But like, "Trapped in this body" "You are so much more than what they forced upon you" "You will never have to hide again" "At last. I am me." whew boy

I'm honestly surprised I haven't seen a bigger deal made about it but it's got enough plausible deniability to slide under the radar, especially if you don't bother to read the tome lore, I guess.

I think something that is also interesting is the lore of Gabriel and all the colony. They themselves are limited to their own perception of reality. An unnamed society (That is idealized in the memory of the colony, despite having never existed and having a very vague definition of what it truly mean) gave them an identity fabricated from piece and told them "This is you". Gabriel Soma is not Gabriel Soma, he is what society need him to be. As such, it is extremely easy to link that back to queer/gender theme since a man is only a man if the society around him consider him a man. He could be in and of itself a man, but that would be a definition that exist outside of the label of a "man" and/or an identity created around pre-existing ideas...

I could go deeper but all that to say that the Singularity being queer and/or trans does a lot of sense.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like to flip the script. Nothing in the text disputes my claim that each and every survivor and killer in the game is trans.

Except Clown. That fucker is cis and votes GOP.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wrong; Clown is a stone-cold libertarian if I’ve ever seen one.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Joke's on you if you think claiming to be Libertarian and voting GOP are mutually exclusive.

Actually, the joke's on all of us. :(

Edit: Either way, the Clown is that uncle you try to avoid talking to at family get-togethers.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My friend is a clown main and he plays pretty much exclusively during PTBs

He's the worst person I know

Orv
May 4, 2011

You will not see the gates of heaven

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Danaru posted:

My friend is a clown main and he plays pretty much exclusively during PTBs

He's the worst person I know

Clown mains and Nea mains should be quarantined onto their own special servers

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Had a Legion send us to Gideon with the Oblivious on hti addon, the "broken on mend" addon, and Sloppy Butcher, Thanataphobia, Plaything, and Nurses Calling. We ended up 4 man outing because the build basically worked against itself too much.
If you're oblivious, Legion can't hear your heartbeat from Killer Instinct, so if she doesn't know where you are she won't find or hit you. We figured "well if we're gonna get oblivious'd from the power anyway we might as well leave Plaything up" (meaning she never really got more than one or two power hits all game) and she tripled down on making healing difficult so we just. Didn't heal more than one person at a time to keep Thana at 6% and not 20% so she never got any stealth interruptions on it. Any time we saw her coming we just ran and predropped everything (because it's gideon) so by the end of the game I think she had 3 hooks and we 4 man outed.

Moral of the story: Don't go so all in on one specific thing that it becomes easier to simply ignore the gimmick of your build entirely rather than walk into the trap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tonight was probably the worst night I’ve had as Killer in a very long time, maybe in the last year. Just trying to grind out some tomes and dailies after a rough workday and every single match was full of uber sweat squads and assholes who’d teabag after every single little thing. Not even impressive poo poo, literally just totems cleansed in front of me and completely basic run of the mill pallet stuns and flashie blinds.

I’ve never experienced such a constant seesaw of love/hate feelings toward a game like I seem to every single month with DBD. This loving community sucks. And it’s not as if the toxicity is anything the game itself can fix, it’s just firmly a load-bearing part of it by this point.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

rydiafan posted:

I like to flip the script. Nothing in the text disputes my claim that each and every survivor and killer in the game is trans.

Except Clown. That fucker is cis and votes GOP.

:hai:

Everyone in DBD is LGBT if you believe in yourself.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Orv posted:

https://x.com/dril/status/205052027259195393?s=20

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Orv posted:

they're clearly right there

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gotten Cook to level 10 in TCM! Grabbed No One Escapes Hell, seems like a good Grandpa perk. Cook is getting his ability nerfed but looks like a blood run build will still be dandy

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Overall the TCM patch coming at the end of the month looks solid. For the curious:

-2 new characters
-1 new map
-Leatherface no longer required
-Grandpa cutscene removed
-Faster pre-game lobby
-Victims can't use their power in the first 60 seconds of the match
-Gas station map rework to nerf the fastest escapes

They plan to follow it up with a perk balance pass.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Sokani posted:

Overall the TCM patch coming at the end of the month looks solid. For the curious:

-2 new characters
-1 new map
-Leatherface no longer required
-Grandpa cutscene removed
-Faster pre-game lobby
-Victims can't use their power in the first 60 seconds of the match
-Gas station map rework to nerf the fastest escapes

They plan to follow it up with a perk balance pass.

This took them nearly 3.5months

Unfortunately the devs really loving destroyed any hype they had. Its such a fumble. On steam the game is already consistently below 1k players.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 17, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah, and Chucky’s arriving just in time to suck any lapsed players right back in

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kwolok posted:

This took them nearly 3.5months

Unfortunately the devs really loving destroyed any hype they had. Its such a fumble. On steam the game is already consistently below 1k players.

It's also in a really weird place where the devs insist its not meant to be competitive but the playerbase insist it to be. The devs say one survivor escaping is a good game but the trick is getting a playerbase that feels that way too.

Friday the 13th had that perfect magic of there being so many gruesome kills that even if you died it was cool, and you could maybe come back! If you couldn't it was cool though because it was literally like watching one of the movies. I don't know if they can get that magic back.

I like the game though when victims and family aren't constantly lobby dodging, but I'm still playing with level 10's, not nearly sweat squad level

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 17, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Can you really even play TCM effectively without Leatherface? Without his ability to break loops, and the fact that he's the primary threat in the early game, it seems like there was a very good reason he was hard locked in.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
We're gonna find out!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Do you have to be smart to play Bubba in tcm? Or can you just run around and chainsaw stuff? Asking for myself

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danknificent posted:

Do you have to be smart to play Bubba in tcm? Or can you just run around and chainsaw stuff? Asking for myself

Whenever I play with friends we try to tunnel everyone into Bubba's chainsaw when we aren't feeding grampy that sweet sweet blood so all he really does is chase or place himself just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Whenever I play with friends we try to tunnel everyone into Bubba's chainsaw when we aren't feeding grampy that sweet sweet blood so all he really does is chase or place himself just right.

You can also do a lot by just running around chopping up loops. I'd say that Bubba is the only character that always has something useful that they could be doing at all times.

Sokani posted:

We're gonna find out!

Can't wait for the barrage of "game is stupid the survivors just duck under poo poo and you can't do anything"