Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just on a really short downhill section, but what a fun section it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

i say swears online posted:

do bike people have acronym rivalries like Ford/Chevy
no one worth listening to gives an actual poo poo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Protected bicycle and pedestrian areas going great here

the city won't use solid bollards because they might harm drivers. Not joking, that's their stated reason.
You can slide half inch wall steel round tubing in there and make them what they should have been :)

mystes posted:

touring complete
:perfect:

nomad2020 posted:

I’ll bite, why can’t we make small trucks with a 4 cylinder anymore? A new Camry 4 cylinder would put what was in that S-10 to shame.
You can buy a maverick, but they sell magnitudes fewer of those than the full size brodozing death machines.

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Nov 16, 2023

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evil_bunnY posted:

You can buy a maverick, but they sell magnitudes fewer of those than the full size brodozing death machines.

They build magnitudes fewer of them, every single Ford Maverick sells immediately for over MSRP, and some of those get further flipped for even higher prices. The Maverick was getting flipped by scalpers for more than 60% over MSRP for pretty much all of 2022. People want a small, cheap, fuel efficient truck.

Related, Toyota can't build minivans right now, in 2022 the Sienna was outsold 5-1 by Chrysler and more than 2-1 by the Honda Odyssey.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The only good car in the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkJMhRr0qWg

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Run an Eccentric BB or if you don't already have a frame you're in love with ppl seem to like the all city nature boy. I had essentially this build (but not steel) for years on a specialized singlecross and it was probably the funnest bike I have ever owned. (May the bastards who stole it from my garage meet Jesus)

Right now I have my 26" maruishi touring bike completely disassembled and the winter project is to build a dynamo front wheel and an alfine igh rear with the micro shift thumbie so I can shift while wearing heavy gloves in the winter. And refresh every wear item on the bike. It's gonna be dropping like $1000 on a bike I paid $400 for but that's still less than a car payment. I've had this as my dream build for years so feels sweet to finally be working on it.
Dynamo lights kick rear end. I built up a front dynamo on my old commuter (3W Shimano dynamo hub, Open Pro rim) with Son front and rear lights. I actually had drivers flash their brights at me a couple times when the front got misaligned. They also make a world of difference anywhere without streetlights, where you actually need the lights to see instead of just alert drivers. Unfortunately, the frame I had didn't have any braze-ons for racks or fenders, so I had this rube-goldberg thing going with various p-clamps and zip ties. One day, I had a very heavily loaded rack (which the rear light was attached to), and it broke off from the seat stays, and it would up pulling the wires out of both lights. Goddamn that sucked. That's why I'm pretty keen on a frame with actual fender and rack braze-ons.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are dynamo hubs toggle-able, like can I only turn it on for downhills? i've never tried one but i've used a friend's electric vehicle and the auto-charging which increases rolling resistance is super disconcerting

if i ever do another crazy tour i was considering solar panels instead of a dynamo but don't know much about them

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

front dynamo lights will have an off switch but the rear remains on for safety reasons. you honestly won’t notice a difference in resistance with a modern dynamo hub anyway

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

nomad2020 posted:

What I'm getting at is that a camry is just slightly larger than the 1984 pickup. I can't see a pickup body tanking the MPG that far.

most freeway fuel consumption is fighting aero drag

pickup bodies are inherently aerodynamically terrible

80s ford maverick coefficient of drag is 0.52, for reference a prius's Cd is 0.22, 09 Subaru Legacy wagon is 0.32, new Camry is 0.28, so it would be about doubled under otherwise identical conditions (same engine, gear ratio, tire size etc)

there's not much that can be done about since bc pickup beds have a pretty fixed shape and take up like half the volume of the vehicle - the biggest fix for the layout would be shifting the cargo to the front & putting the driver compartment in the back for a more efficient use of surface area, but lol at how bad people would be at driving something like that

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

i say swears online posted:

are dynamo hubs toggle-able, like can I only turn it on for downhills? i've never tried one but i've used a friend's electric vehicle and the auto-charging which increases rolling resistance is super disconcerting

if i ever do another crazy tour i was considering solar panels instead of a dynamo but don't know much about them
The resistance from a modern dynamo hub is unnoticeable. You're only powering efficient LED lights, as opposed to recharging batteries to run an actual motor. Many dynamo lights can be switched off, in which case the hub has like 1W more resistance than a regular hub. On, and a 3W hub maybe causes 5 or 6 watts of resistance. That's compared to maybe 150-250 watts that you might be putting into the pedals. It even is more insignificant in terms of speed, given that air resistance rises with the cube of velocity.

Like you wouldn't want it in a race or anything, but it's totally irrelevant when commuting. You might as well leave the lights on all the time. Dynamo lights remove the anxiety of light batteries dying, and they're so goddamn bright.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FirstnameLastname posted:

there's not much that can be done about since bc pickup beds have a pretty fixed shape and take up like half the volume of the vehicle - the biggest fix for the layout would be shifting the cargo to the front & putting the driver compartment in the back for a more efficient use of surface area, but lol at how bad people would be at driving something like that

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cat botherer posted:

The resistance from a modern dynamo hub is unnoticeable. You're only powering efficient LED lights, as opposed to recharging batteries to run an actual motor. Many dynamo lights can be switched off, in which case the hub has like 1W more resistance than a regular hub. On, and a 3W hub maybe causes 5 or 6 watts of resistance. That's compared to maybe 150-250 watts that you might be putting into the pedals. It even is more insignificant in terms of speed, given that air resistance rises with the cube of velocity.

Like you wouldn't want it in a race or anything, but it's totally irrelevant when commuting. You might as well leave the lights on all the time. Dynamo lights remove the anxiety of light batteries dying, and they're so goddamn bright.

that's neat. i'd definitely have a battery bank but i didn't realize that direct usage would increase resistance, which makes sense why just a light would be so little added

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
the amount of resistance created by something like that would be a fraction of the resistance you'd get from jumping up one gear on 27 speed

you'd notice the weight & drag from solar panels more

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

lol
its genius

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the amount of resistance created by something like that would be a fraction of the resistance you'd get from jumping up one gear on 27 speed

you'd notice the weight & drag from solar panels more

perfect, that's about what i was looking for. way more practical for everyday use too

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The standard dynamo setup is 3 watts. With a good generator hub you absolutely won't notice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

El Camino bakfiet

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I see you haven't heard about cab-over-engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_truck

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Putting the cab over the engine shortens the length of the vehicle, but it limits how small the frontal area can be, which is a bad tradeoff for fuel economy.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

gently caress cars and the pigs driving down the bike lane

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A neat article that came out a few days summing up the regional improvements to rail around the country.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90980252/the-us-is-having-a-rail-travel-renaissance-but-you-probably-didnt-notice?partner=rss

Usually you only hear about the NEC so this is nice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

most freeway fuel consumption is fighting aero drag

pickup bodies are inherently aerodynamically terrible

80s ford maverick coefficient of drag is 0.52, for reference a prius's Cd is 0.22, 09 Subaru Legacy wagon is 0.32, new Camry is 0.28, so it would be about doubled under otherwise identical conditions (same engine, gear ratio, tire size etc)

I wonder what could be done with optical mirrors if you had infinite money. Drive-by-camera is probably cheaper but the loss of depth perception is disqualifying.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

VR headset connected to cameras on the top of the car, drive like in GTA

by which I mean mercilessly flattening pedestrians and bikers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 01:02 on Nov 19, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Economist: A Plea to Car Haters: Stop Hating Cars
How vehicle-dependence makes the country fairer and more efficient

quote:

more Americans than ever are consigning themselves to a car-defined existence by choosing to live in the suburbs. [...] For many, the main attractions of suburbia are lower housing costs and greater safety. Yet recent research sheds light on how cars are a crucial part of the equation, making America’s suburbs both impressively efficient and equitable.

quote:

Start with convenience. It is well-known that American cities are configured for vehicles, a process that began in the 1920s with the Model T. Car-centric urban designs became dominant throughout the country, involving wide roads, ample access to expressways and parking galore. To varying degrees, other countries have copied that model. Yet America has come closest to perfecting it.

quote:

In a paper released in August, supported by the World Bank ... a group of economists ... examined road speeds in 152 countries. Unsurprisingly, wealthy countries outpace poor ones. And within the rich world, America is streets ahead: its traffic is about 27% faster than that of other members of the oecd club of mostly rich countries. Of the 20 fastest cities in the world, 19 are in America.

It is not that American roads are better in and of themselves. Rather, speed is a testament to America’s love affair with both suburbia and smaller towns that feel suburban. Compared with those in other OECD countries, American cities are 24% less populous, cover 72% more area and have 67% more large roads. All this enables drivers to zip around.

Driving speed shrinks distance. One fashionable concept among urban planners these days is the “15-minute city”, the goal of building neighbourhoods that let people get to work, school and recreation within 15 minutes by foot or bike. Many Americans may simply fail to see the need for this innovation, for they already live in 15-minute cities, so long, that is, as they get around by car. Most of the essentials—groceries, school, restaurants, parks, doctors and more—are a quick drive away for suburbanites.

quote:

The car’s ubiquity has another rarely appreciated benefit.

A recent study by Lucas Conwell of Yale University and colleagues examined urban regions in America and Europe. They calculated “accessibility zones”, defined as the area from which city centres can be readily reached. Although European cities have better public transport, American cities are on the whole more accessible. Consider the size of accessibility zones 15-30 minutes from city centres. If using public transport, the average is 34 square kilometres in America versus 63 square kilometres in Europe. If using private cars, the difference is much starker: 1,160 square kilometres in America versus 430 square kilometres in Europe.

it is precisely such accessibility that has put larger homes and quieter streets within reach for a remarkably wide cross-section of the country. In his analysis of the census from 2020, William Frey of the Brookings Institution, a think-tank, showed that suburbia has become far more diverse over the years. In 1990 roughly 20% of suburbanites were non-white. That rose to 30% in 2000 and 45% in 2020.

quote:

Not that cars are a panacea. Owning or renting one costs plenty of money, and is an especially big burden for the working poor. It is therefore common to hear laments in American cities about the sorry state of mass transit. Yet this general perception, though widespread, is not entirely accurate. Even if primarily built for private cars, roads are a shared resource and can be viewed as the “tracks” for buses.

In their study Mr Conwell and his colleagues conclude that bus-based transportation in America is surprisingly effective: public-transit options between distant suburbia and city centres are roughly comparable in America and Europe. Although America could do more to improve its bus services within its urban cores, the crucial point is that cities designed for cars can also support mass transit.

credit to forums poster Microplastics

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Putting the cab over the engine shortens the length of the vehicle, but it limits how small the frontal area can be, which is a bad tradeoff for fuel economy.

There's also this (I presume) has better efficiency by virtue of non-flat surfaces. It also has the added benefit of excellent front visibility because of the lower window which improves the already great visibility you get from the cab-over-engine design. I don't know how good the crash ratings on it are though. It's also a new company so typical warnings about the possibility of them going under and having no replacement parts available apply (though they have delivered actual vehicles to government customers, unlike say Tesla with their Cybertruck)

https://www.canoo.com/canoo

There's also a truck varient.
https://www.canoo.com/pickup

If you're going to need some vehicles for local deliveries I'd prefer these over the huge honkers we have in the US.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I see you haven't heard about cab-over-engine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kei_truck

This is what we gave up for f-150's everywhere?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

credit to forums poster Microplastics

AIT’s argument is more convincing than this one, tbh

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

no

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Read that as fatter and more effluent at first.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i fuckin love opinion articles that are just "if you ignore all the bad stuff, pretty sweet deal!"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why would I listen to the opinion of a publication that defended slavery?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i fuckin love opinion articles that are just "if you ignore all the bad stuff, pretty sweet deal!"

*McCardleishly*

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

cars are pretty fuckin sweet if you view the entire purpose of society as running cars as a way to burn as much oil as possible

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

cars are pretty fuckin sweet if you view the entire purpose of society as running cars as a way to burn as much oil as possible

"i just gotta finish the rest of the coke in this bag and then I can quit, but I know myself and if this little bit is still here and I'm not gonna be able to stop myself from doing it"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

This is coming from the country that thinks capitalism is the best, on much the same grounds.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

BonHair posted:

This is coming from the country that thinks capitalism is the best, on much the same grounds.

it's coming from the hole, of an rear end

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

Life itself is a manifestation of the second law of thermodynamics; biological processes take anti-entropic pockets of high-energy density and disperse them as a a smooth haze of heat into the cosmos.

In this way the burning of oil is a religious experience: the ultimate expression of life and of humanity's vitality.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Friends and I did some tactical guerrilla urbanism and built a ramp we could use to go under the interstate. Years later…the city did it proper! Took WAY too long but seeing it come together was immensely satisfying.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the dude that rear ended me has a pages long rap sheet of crashes lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
A guy here just got arrested with nine lifetime driving bans under his belt, so he's going to prison. I guess a mere eight lifetime driving bans is an honest mistake.