Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Going for a holiday cycle ride in rural France and getting the living poo poo kicked out of me by the village of Frou-Croix because they think I'm ahead of their local lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Or maybe they just clocked me as British from 100m and did their traditional needful.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Failed Imagineer posted:

They should keep this bit imo.

A buddy of mine who loves cycling went and did one stage of the TdF. Apparently it was the most gruelling experience of his life and he was spontaneously weeping for ages afterwards. Even with the ridiculous amounts of EPO and whatnot, those dudes are pretty hardcore

Yeah, the doping sucks because it ruins it for the riders who don't want to dope, but the doping itself doesn't take away from the immense & frankly inhumane achievement that completing 21 stages of riding in 23 days is. Granted, I'm am not exactly all skin & bones like a Chris Froome & so have presumably absolutely dogshit power to weight ratios, but I know how hard I find just riding up a 100m climb that's maybe 5% gradient. And here they are doing 150+km a day, often up actual mountains. It's ludicrous. No poo poo they need narcotic assistance to recover to the same poo poo the next day.

I do remember a fun story where on the off-season Geraint Thomas was on holiday with his wife & they walked up some short hill & he was just completely knackered doing it because his muscles that weren't about riding a bike were totally neglected.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
As a kid I hated Wimbeldon and Tour De France as they ate up kids shows for their banality.
But I thought Tour De France was cooler as they allowed people to draw on the roads.
And for a while I wanted to go to it, so I could draw on the road.
Probably a cock and balls, but still.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I am fully in favour of more ludicrous sporting events with doping. To be honest I’m desperate to find out how far we can push things like the 100m. I reckon with the right combo of drugs we can get to under 5 seconds, even if the runner probably does die as soon as they hit the finish line.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

I am fully in favour of more ludicrous sporting events with doping. To be honest I’m desperate to find out how far we can push things like the 100m. I reckon with the right combo of drugs we can get to under 5 seconds, even if the runner probably does die as soon as they hit the finish line.

That's a slippery slope because someone is going to graft wheels on their feet and zoom over the finish line like some proto-40k tech priest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Engineering an augmented goalkeeper who's just a 24x8 foot flesh oblong.

e:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 16, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Someone make Speedball 2 real.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Engineering an augmented goalkeeper who's just a 24x8 foot flesh oblong.

e:

dimly remembering this concept as a gag in one of the Red Dwarf books I think?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

MY SHEET IS CLEAN! MY SHEET IS CLEEEEEAN!!
______________________/

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/nov/16/the-crown-season-6-review-so-bad-its-like-an-out-of-body-experience-netflix

GHOST DIANA!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Disqualified for bursting into a cloud of blood before fully crossing the finish line, missing out on a sub 4-second world record.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

Yes. GELFs are banned from sporting events after Scotland made one that was eight feet tall and 14 feet wide to use as a goalkeeper.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I think you're right. The premise being that Scotland had a giant goalie who blocked the entire goal and still didn't make it past the group stage or something.

Going for that 5 star rating in the Express.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Z the IVth posted:

That's a slippery slope because someone is going to graft wheels on their feet and zoom over the finish line like some proto-40k tech priest.

This reminds me of one of the Dark Horse Alien comics.

Basically, it's discovered that the Queen Aliens have this substance (I think they call Royal Jelly) that is made in the Hives.
People discover that if they refine the jelly it becomes a drug that's a super performance enhancer.

There is then this scene of an athlete taking one before the 200M dash where he races past everyone, smashes the world record and then just runs full tilt into the stadium wall and splats himself.

And the last bit is everyone talking about how tragic this was and what a waste of life. Only this one guy is like "yeah! But did you see the time he set?"

And like my mind always comes back to this whenever I hear people argue for doping allowed sports.
Like either you have no limits, and the end point is "and now the athlete has exploded."
Or you put in some limits, and it becomes farcical because everyone is just going to start at those limits and work out how they can cheat to get over that line.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That just sounds like 1970s era Formula 1.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

Look at slow coach here.
Its first past the line, so you just need to shoot a part of your own body over 100m.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

That just sounds like 1970s era Formula 1.

And 90s, when they could use computer aided poo poo and got higher top speeds.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
My not entirely serious hot take is that we should have sports divisions that are 100% cool with doping and everybody's allowed to take whatever the hell they want. I want to really see what insane heights the human body can achieve when it is freed of all restraints.

Yes, I know this would be a terrible idea.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
My hot take is that there should be no professional sports. All sports institutions are corrupt shills for dictators and exploiters and must be demolished. Leave nothing standing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm not that fussed how quickly somebody can cover an arbitrary distance.

An obstacle course is better.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Petitioning once again for Takeshi's Castle to be included in the Olympics

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm surprised there's not some kind of combined obstacle course style event in athletics tbh, would love to see that at the Olympics.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm surprised there's not some kind of combined obstacle course style event in athletics tbh, would love to see that at the Olympics.

Then you're in for a treat, because modern pentathlon will be replacing Horse Abuse with something different:

quote:

Obstacle was formally integrated into Modern Pentathlon by the 72nd UIPM Congress in November 2022, having been selected by the New 5th Discipline Working Group as the most suitable replacement for Riding after the Paris 2024 Olympic Games.

The sport was the overwhelming favourite of more than 60 proposed to propel Modern Pentathlon into a new era and make it one of the most exciting, accessible and popular sports in the Olympic movement.

The term ‘Obstacle’ encompasses various types of obstacle racing across the categories of Ninja, OCR and Adventure Racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kT0ADViiU0

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 16, 2023

Tedsville
Aug 21, 2020

Huffing Mr Sheen to make the phone calls go away

Ash Crimson posted:

Kier starmer poo poo pee pee person

Concerning

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

Failed Imagineer posted:

Petitioning once again for Takeshi's Castle to be included in the Olympics

only if they get getter commentators than Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davis

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Liquor Snurf posted:

only if they get getter commentators than Romesh Ranganathan and Tom Davis

I refuse to acknowledge any Takeshi other than the Craig Charles Era. Maybe even further back to Chris Tarrant if that counts

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ThomasPaine posted:

My not entirely serious hot take is that we should have sports divisions that are 100% cool with doping and everybody's allowed to take whatever the hell they want. I want to really see what insane heights the human body can achieve when it is freed of all restraints.

Again, if you are fine with this you have to accept that the logical endpoint to doing so is "up next in boxing, Johnny Chainsaw-arms!"

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Jedit posted:

Yes. GELFs are banned from sporting events after Scotland made one that was eight feet tall and 14 feet wide to use as a goalkeeper.

And still didn't make the second round.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Olympic That Gauntlet Round from Gladiators

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

happyhippy posted:

As a kid I hated Wimbeldon and Tour De France as they ate up kids shows for their banality.
But I thought Tour De France was cooler as they allowed people to draw on the roads.
And for a while I wanted to go to it, so I could draw on the road.
Probably a cock and balls, but still.

The TdF has a specific team dedicated to cock and ball removal:

https://youtu.be/UBJWqhgQrVc?si=WsYei3zfx6emfpxB

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
There should be an Olympic event for moving a sleeping toddler from the car into bed. I'm thinking of going pro

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Modern professional athletics is a bit weird when you get right into it, because all the training is so intense and perfected now that you’re basically competing based on whose body has the best genetics or hormone balance. Which means doping tries to target that and leads to situations like cis female athletes being banned for having “too much” natural testosterone.

So like, what are we doing in athletics exactly? It feels like it wants to be something like Formula 1 where all the cars fit within precisely defined specifications so it’s a competition purely on the skill of drivers, constructors, and pit crew but the human body doesn’t conform to specs like that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

If we’re getting all the poo poo boring parts of a dystopia I’d quite a few of the fun parts like this

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
All pro athletics to be conducted by specially engineered clones to ensure fairness. Baseline humans are only allowed to play at the amateur level.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Personally i thought Tom and Romesh were very funny and the new version was a bit less casually racially insensitive than the slightly badly aged craig charles version.

Having watched so much takeshi in the past it was neat to see more of the actual format and rules being explained, which only highlighted how ludicrously unfair and arbitary the game is at all times. The new stepping stones wiping out all 50 contestants on the first go and the saga of the original Ninja Warrior guy repeatedly eating poo poo was great stuff and the older localisation of the show would have glossed over it all.

The new one was just an anniversary thing but i hope they bring it back properly 8 episodes was way too few.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

SixFigureSandwich posted:

There should be an Olympic event for moving a sleeping toddler from the car into bed. I'm thinking of going pro

As the event becomes more and more competitive it would eventually evolve into Toddler Discus

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

TACD posted:

So like, what are we doing in athletics exactly? It feels like it wants to be something like Formula 1 where all the cars fit within precisely defined specifications so it’s a competition purely on the skill of drivers, constructors, and pit crew but the human body doesn’t conform to specs like that.

F1 is a constructor championship, the teams are also competing to construct a better car than the others. There are some limits but it's not an even competition like that, some cars are simply superior.

The Liquor Snurf
Jul 22, 2021

I am the Liquor

Mr Phillby posted:

Personally i thought Tom and Romesh were very funny and the new version was a bit less casually racially insensitive than the slightly badly aged craig charles version.

Having watched so much takeshi in the past it was neat to see more of the actual format and rules being explained, which only highlighted how ludicrously unfair and arbitary the game is at all times. The new stepping stones wiping out all 50 contestants on the first go and the saga of the original Ninja Warrior guy repeatedly eating poo poo was great stuff and the older localisation of the show would have glossed over it all.

The new one was just an anniversary thing but i hope they bring it back properly 8 episodes was way too few.

To be honest I only lasted about 1/4 of an episode before turning it off, It just felt like they were recording a lazy podcast with Takeshi's castle on in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

F1 is a constructor championship, the teams are also competing to construct a better car than the others. There are some limits but it's not an even competition like that, some cars are simply superior.

The Pharma Constructor championship would be Pfizer, GSK, Merck, and Novartis competing to produce the most advanced metahumans.