Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Obviously I see why it's written like that, but telling a bunch of high school grads that they should be invincible seems like bad advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A lot of very serious stuff in that episode, overshadowing one absolute gem:

"Marry me? What do you think we are, savages? We abolished that law."

"OK, what's the new law?"

"Trial by combat!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

eves dad is annoying

Why couldn't he have been on that train last season

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jedit posted:

A lot of very serious stuff in that episode, overshadowing one absolute gem:

"Marry me? What do you think we are, savages? We abolished that law."

"OK, what's the new law?"

"Trial by combat!"

Show had a ton of gems!

"You're like, Doctor Seismic right?"
" Doc seismic. I never taught. "

"Where did you come from?"
"I was born a normal human baby...on earth"

"I was his assistant. We consider 'sidekick' an offensive term"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Mark called him a Professor

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aces High posted:

Holy poo poo, that's an amazing catch Darkwing Batman never kills, yeah right

I'm really enjoying what they're doing with Debbie, Eve, and Amber over all. The comics were definitely the Mark show, and most of the stories ended up revolving around how that affects him. Much cooler to see what's going on in their lives when Mark isn't around. With that in mind I'm curious what they're going to do with Eve. With her powers she could probably have done something to not have that disastrous result with the playground, but she's barely an adult like Mark, so most of her learning will come from mistakes

Same, I'm really enjoying the directions they're going with all three characters even just these two episodes alone feel more fulfilling than the general trajections the comics took.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The title of this episode sure is a thing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Granted, Eve is just now 18 while her father is a grown man, so it looks much worse for him. The sexism also doesn't help.

The show also seems to be cutting out him actually slapping her around (I think? Been a while since S1).

The title of this episode sure is a thing.

I like them holding back episode titles so they can work fun little jokes into them like that, but it's playing hell with my media server. Stuff takes days to flow through and get updated :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Panfilo posted:

"I was his assistant. We consider 'sidekick' an offensive term"

It's Hero Support.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

lol. S2 ep2 was a lot

wow Dupli-kate sure likes getting around.

The whole Mark situation I like in how both sides have weight. I think yes, he should prioritize himself more, but also yes, let him concentrate on his work if he wants to. I think he is valid in he wants to prove himself. Like boohoo, high school graduation. Whatever. Its more balanced here, but reminds me of S1 with 'oh you were saving people, and got majorly beat up and badly injured, how dare you keep this from me, i'm the most hurt one here'

Totally forgot about the Maritan stuff last season.

New replacements taking the name of the former dead or retired heroes (old Guardians of the Globe) is a very common comic thing, so their spin on it here is cool

lol @ controlling rear end husband Debbie is showing a house to. This series definitely has a type.
Very invested in the Debbie storyline. Its good.

Called the whole thing with Eve and the playground. You're not an engineer Eve...surprised the building didn't break either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The house-hunter husband seemed pretty normal right up until he said they weren't buying the house, at which point he just did a complete 180 and sprinted like crazy in the opposite direction he'd been going up to that point.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"

Eve and her father have this weird relationship where I feel like the both of them are so close to understanding each other, but then one of them just says the wrong thing and it causes the other to respond very negatively and very adamantly.

Yeah, this is basically how my relationship was with my parents from age 13-18. It’s very relatable to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why exactly is the high school Reginald VelJohnson High School with Reginald VelJohnson as the principal?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

lol. S2 ep2 was a lot

wow Dupli-kate sure likes getting around.

don't tell me if Abraham Lincoln asked you wouldn't go for it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Why exactly is the high school Reginald VelJohnson High School with Reginald VelJohnson as the principal?

Mark attends Reginald VelJohnson High School in the comics. When they made the adaptation they simply couldn't resist casting the man himself.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

also he's principal winslow

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Out of curiosity, since this is a spoiler-free thread, is there another Invincible thread on SA?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The house-hunter husband seemed pretty normal right up until he said they weren't buying the house, at which point he just did a complete 180 and sprinted like crazy in the opposite direction he'd been going up to that point.

That's fairly often how that poo poo goes down when you're a third party observer to that kind of thing, though. Some couple will seem absolutely normal until some guy's wife says she wants to try soy milk instead of whole and suddenly the dude's screaming.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Aces High posted:

Out of curiosity, since this is a spoiler-free thread, is there another Invincible thread on SA?

I think there was one but it fell into the archives

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I really like Doc Seismic as a villain. Always has a vaguely well-intentioned goal but he goes about it in the most concussed way possible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This episode had a lot of goofy poo poo and it made me laugh. Lotta second generation Justice League characters.

God the current Justice League is just a bunch of annoying twits. Don't mind Normal Human Guy though.

Seems weird that Marc had never heard of the magical dome of perpetual night.

Friend pointed out that this season seems to be Marc's struggle with heroism / violence, as represented by the title card cracking. We're guessing that this season (or ep 4) ends with him killing Armstrong.

a seagull posted:

I really like Doc Seismic as a villain. Always has a vaguely well-intentioned goal but he goes about it in the most concussed way possible.

Extreme Venture Bros. energy to both him and the Lizard League.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Llol @ Batman living in a city cursed to always be midnight.

Can posts with comic information, even in spoilers, be reported? It's very annoying.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Open Source Idiom posted:

This episode had a lot of goofy poo poo and it made me laugh. Lotta second generation Justice League characters.

God the current Justice League is just a bunch of annoying twits. Don't mind Normal Human Guy though.

Seems weird that Marc had never heard of the magical dome of perpetual night.

Friend pointed out that this season seems to be Marc's struggle with heroism / violence, as represented by the title card cracking. We're guessing that this season (or ep 4) ends with him killing Armstrong.

Extreme Venture Bros. energy to both him and the Lizard League.

I love the face palm gesture of the second-in-command as Serpentor is trying to convince his little army that they aren't a total joke.

Was snake king in the flashback scene when Atom Eve's mom was going into labor? I remember they attacked the lab and I think there was snakemom and her snake son fighting.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This isn't a comic spoiler, but the midnight city in the comics was colored to be much more obviously the Gotham from Batman The Animated Series with the perpetually red sky. The tv series made it a bit more distinct. There were at least some stars or something and it was a bit more purple.

Anyway it was funny how the comics decided "in order for us to actually pay tribute to that cartoon we need to come up with a contrivance for how the sky could actually be that color".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So in addition to "sound made by the depth dweller that hurts Mark", Cecil should also add "Not-Batman's Shadow Realm Teleporter" to the list of things to try against Omni-Man.

And speaking of teleporting...at the start of ep 1, why didn't Angstrom teleport the Evil Mark and Evil Nolan (well.. Regular Nolan) to some dimension made entirely of lava, or something? Or just one with an empty , burnt-out earth?
I get it wasn't "his" world, so maybe he wasn't as attached to it... But help that works out, man!

And now I'm wondering if in ALL those worlds, there wasn't one where Viltrumites were good? Or maybe at least Nolan learned more and gained enough empathy to rebel against his upbringing?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

DrBouvenstein posted:

And speaking of teleporting...at the start of ep 1, why didn't Angstrom teleport the Evil Mark and Evil Nolan (well.. Regular Nolan) to some dimension made entirely of lava, or something? Or just one with an empty , burnt-out earth?
I get it wasn't "his" world, so maybe he wasn't as attached to it... But help that works out, man!

I may be mistaken, but I got the impression that only one of the Angstrom variants actually had the teleport ability. The rest were just normal dudes or gals that he'd gone around collecting. If so, it kinda makes sense that he doesn't particularly feel like dedicating himself to personally stopping an infinite number of 'Omni-Man & Evil Invincible' team-ups in an infinite number of different realities. It also seems like there's no time-travel involved between realities, so even if he tried, he'd only have time to stop them in a few realities at most in the window of time between Mark gaining his powers and him actually conquering Earth alongside his dad in that reality.

We see him snatching his own variant in the nick of time through a fortunately-placed portal that happened to lead to a spot in an alternate reality that was safe. But that was probably just a very lucky opportunity he grabbed, and actually teleporting people against their will (especially people who can ignore gravity if they so choose) requires a lot more time to set up than Angstrom usually has on hand.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
The thing that is glossed over is: What is in it for the alt-Angstroms?

Also the only alt we understand has probably got severe ptsd, and the others are unlikely to be much better, as bad mark is the standard. Angstrom's plan, even if it had not been interrupted, was flawed from the start.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I mean, they got to live in a universe that isn't ravaged, so it seems like a sweet deal provided the procedure didn't kill them.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
With 1000 alternate versions of himself? An allusion to his narcissism perhaps. It would feel like hell itself to me.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I just figured since Angstrom himself was a very benevolent/narcissistic guy who wanted to save the world, all the alt-versions he grabbed had a similar mindset and were on board with contributing their experience and knowledge towards the man-made god that would save all realities.

And yeah, there's still immediate benefit. If you're Angstrom from the universe where cancer was cured you still want him to help your universe out on the climate change front.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shyrka posted:

I just figured since Angstrom himself was a very benevolent/narcissistic guy who wanted to save the world, all the alt-versions he grabbed had a similar mindset and were on board with contributing their experience and knowledge towards the man-made god that would save all realities.

They're also all versions taken from universes where Omni-Man has won. Angstrom is asking them to combine their knowledge and experience in him, probably at no cost to themselves, for the chance to free their own worlds.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DrBouvenstein posted:

And now I'm wondering if in ALL those worlds, there wasn't one where Viltrumites were good? Or maybe at least Nolan learned more and gained enough empathy to rebel against his upbringing?

Sure there is. There's one world where Nolan landed on Earth so hard he got brain damage and was taken in by a kindly grandpa that taught him martial arts.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

for some reason this is a game that exists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDc5n35Xlc. You can get it free with twitch prime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

New episode dropped.

Debbie, you can't just say Invincible and not summon the title screen. That's illegal.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is Nolan gonna Vegeta those bug people?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Good episode of Allen the Alien :v: Other half was kinda boring. Though the final scene got me pumped for next week.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It can not be stated enough how amazing the casting choices for this series are

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Next week is the last ep for 6 months?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Hell yeah, that episode was great for moving the plot along. All of the changes from the comic were positive imo, and the pacing was much improved. It was good to make Thalia an actual character instead of just Allen's girlfriend who is half naked in most panels.

Minor comic-based speculation but no specific spoilers: I really hope they don't do it, but I see this half-season ending on a cliffhanger for bug planet. It would be very hard to wrap it up in one episode with all the side plot stuff getting any focus at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It's cheating casting the voice of Monterey Jack as the (maybe shady) leader of the free worlds. How can I help but trust him?