Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
This was touched on last week, but I am so loving sick of trying to use the YouTube app on our lovely TCL TV and stream the audio via Bluetooth to the lovely Roku phone app. I don't even know which is the faulty link in this chain of poo poo, I just know it sounds like a robot is trying to gently caress my ear. And I am not here for it. It wasn't like this a month ago. Thanks for reading my rant. Like, comment and subscribe for more hot eats & cool treats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Wilkins Micawber posted:

This was touched on last week, but I am so loving sick of trying to use the YouTube app on our lovely TCL TV and stream the audio via Bluetooth to the lovely Roku phone app. I don't even know which is the faulty link in this chain of poo poo, I just know it sounds like a robot is trying to gently caress my ear. And I am not here for it. It wasn't like this a month ago. Thanks for reading my rant. Like, comment and subscribe for more hot eats & cool treats.

I'm gonna go ahead and say, as someone that has stayed in many an AirBnB, that it's the TCL

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
The new Microsoft default mail app now has ads baked in.

I swear every default app on Windows is 25% adspace.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'd say Bluetooth got worse but Bluetooth was always kind of bad.

I don't use my Xbox one controller wirelessly on my PC, because the battery warning will make any and every game lag like crazy. It won't stay paired with the Steam Link so I have to basically pair it again every time I try to use the Steam Link, which I also have to have a keyboard around to use, I've stopped using the Steam Link. Wireless headphones are now used 100% wired because I would have to pair it every day. The bluetooth in my Accord has a lot of skipping on phone calls, and will drop out to static at EXACTLY 36 minutes 46 seconds.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

ghost emoji posted:

This is ancient news, but loving solitaire having a subscription to remove ads, and going through the effort of spinning up a separate instance in the volume mixer when ads play so you can't just mute it and ignore the ads should have been a way bigger warning sign.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ghost emoji posted:

The new Microsoft default mail app now has ads baked in.

I've already decided my next gaming PC is going to have Pop_OS Linux on the boot drive with Win10 on a secondary drive in case of emergencies. I'd rather dick around with terminal commands than deal with this crap anymore.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

wash bucket posted:

I know this is a very "old man yells at cloud" thing to say, but if feels like nothing works the way it's supposed to.

I was talking to someone who needed to get something looked at by their doctor and they were dreading it because they knew it would take multiple visits for the doctor to take them seriously. Then it would take months of phone calls with their health insurance to get the payment sorted out.

Everything is like this:
  • Doctors
  • Insurance
  • Banking
  • Car and home repairs
Anything more complicated than walking into a store and buying a thing is just assumed to go wrong on the first attempt and everyone understands this.

It feels like the "complaint department" has been completely memory-holed, if there ever was such a type of thing. No, there is nobody you can complain to and get something fixed. No, nobody on our end is responsible for anything. No, there is no manager who can take care of any problem. Also, you just have to pay us.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't get the right kind of care I need because I'm really incapable of lying or even really exaggerating the truth in real life, but in order to get 50% of the care you need, you need to tell them you're in twice as much pain because they're only going to believe you're about 35% telling the truth and that's if you really play it up. You have to know how to fuckin play the game, and play it well, because you don't want to overshoot how much worse you're pretending you are or the doctor won't buy any of it. He knows you're bullshitting, you know they're bullshitting, there's a secret middle part where everyone pretends to have gotten one over the other.

Like, what do you say when they're like, "on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no pain at all, 10 being you're on fire and your intestines are being eaten by koalas, how do you feel?"

I feel like, unless my broken arm is literally sticking through my loving arm, that scale tops out at 7, meanwhile I have friends who get prescribed fuckin party drugs because they're like ohh I got a headache, definitely a number 10 headache, doctor. gently caress

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I used to have a pair of cheap ear pods to listen to music on my iPhone. They got lost so my partner bought me a new pair.

They don't work unless my phone is on my right side of my body and not in my pants pocket, where you might think you would put your phone.

Guess I'll have to buy the Apple $180 ones now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

credburn posted:

Facebook groups, like most groups, get dumber the more people engage with it.

You're not wrong, but Facebook as a tool makes it almost impossible to moderate a group effectively.
Heck, even interacting with a group as a user is almost impossible, assuming you actually want to see all posts and replies.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Comstar posted:

I used to have a pair of cheap ear pods to listen to music on my iPhone. They got lost so my partner bought me a new pair.

They don't work unless my phone is on my right side of my body and not in my pants pocket, where you might think you would put your phone.

Honestly, I bought the AirPods Pro and for the investment, it’s worth it. Especially for the “hey idiot where’d you last place them” mode

Only major downside is you will learn real quick that your ears are nasty.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Comstar posted:

Better to stop listening to music IMO

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I miss phones having headphone jacks. The loss of headphone jacks is directly related to the rise in people listening to Tiktoks without headphones in waiting rooms.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Comstar posted:

that'll show 'em

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I don’t miss headphone jacks at all

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ghost emoji posted:

I miss phones having headphone jacks. The loss of headphone jacks is directly related to the rise in people listening to Tiktoks without headphones in waiting rooms.

"Oh no... Oh no... Oh no no no no no...

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Animal-Mother posted:

I've seen that video, I recognize that

Is Facebook Marketplace just functionally broken, at this point? When I tell it to limit my search radius to 40 mi, it still shows me 80% stuff from the other side of the world. Obviously I'm looking for local stuff or I would use literally any other service than fuckin Facebook Marketplace. Maybe that 40 mi radius is like, show me only products that can be shipped to a place within 40 mi of me.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

credburn posted:

I've seen that video, I recognize that

Is Facebook Marketplace just functionally broken, at this point? When I tell it to limit my search radius to 40 mi, it still shows me 80% stuff from the other side of the world. Obviously I'm looking for local stuff or I would use literally any other service than fuckin Facebook Marketplace. Maybe that 40 mi radius is like, show me only products that can be shipped to a place within 40 mi of me.

Yeah pretty much. Also if you list anything over 300 dollars or so, you will be deluged by scammers with extremely fake accounts, and when reported Fb says :shuckyes: 'no problem found' :shuckyes:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

~Coxy posted:

You're not wrong, but Facebook as a tool makes it almost impossible to moderate a group effectively.
Heck, even interacting with a group as a user is almost impossible, assuming you actually want to see all posts and replies.

I've completely given up on keeping tabs on our Facebook page and just assume our social media guy is doing his job right.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Vampire Panties posted:

Yeah pretty much. Also if you list anything over 300 dollars or so, you will be deluged by scammers with extremely fake accounts, and when reported Fb says :shuckyes: 'no problem found' :shuckyes:

Fb moderation is a joke. I reported a blatant scam the other day, like someone’s account was hacked and it was an obvious phishing site, and the results of the report were just like “Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Scamming Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha”

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

One thing I've noticed lately is an influx of Steam friend requests from obvious catfishes. I don't play much on steam and I don't play online much at all so there must be some kind list that these people are farming.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Animal-Mother posted:

(that one wheeze-laugh on a loop)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember way back in the day (2000??) getting a catfish on match.com and being so excited !!! At first. Those were the days

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I remember way back in the day (2000??) getting a catfish on match.com and being so excited !!! At first. Those were the days

I had mine sending me pictures of her BMW 7 series before she lost interest and moved on :negative:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Tarkus posted:

One thing I've noticed lately is an influx of Steam friend requests from obvious catfishes. I don't play much on steam and I don't play online much at all so there must be some kind list that these people are farming.

One kees friending me and asking me to be their +1 in a dota tournament but I haven't played dota in years

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have this bamboo paper towel holder that holds the roll upright on my table. It has this spinny knob thing on top that keeps the roll in place. You unscrew this spinny thing and you can remove the old, spent roll, and put a new one on.

Of course, it's a common tactic these days for products that come on rolls to increase the size of the cardboard tubes to subtly provide the appearance of more product, while providing less of it. You see it with toilet paper, paper towels, duct tape, packing tape, stuff like that.

The cardboard tubes are now big enough in diameter that I can easily remove them without unscrewing the thing that was designed to hold them in place.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Fb moderation is a joke. I reported a blatant scam the other day, like someone’s account was hacked and it was an obvious phishing site, and the results of the report were just like “Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Cyber Scamming Real Hahahaha Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Close Your Eyes Haha”

Straight up. I had a buddy who had been on Facebook for 15 years. Got his account stolen and became Vietnamese overnight. Seems legit.

He and a bunch of friends reported it as a stolen account. Nothing. No evidence of wrongdoing, apparently.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 17, 2023

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

doctorfrog posted:

I have this bamboo paper towel holder that holds the roll upright on my table. It has this spinny knob thing on top that keeps the roll in place. You unscrew this spinny thing and you can remove the old, spent roll, and put a new one on.

Of course, it's a common tactic these days for products that come on rolls to increase the size of the cardboard tubes to subtly provide the appearance of more product, while providing less of it. You see it with toilet paper, paper towels, duct tape, packing tape, stuff like that.

The cardboard tubes are now big enough in diameter that I can easily remove them without unscrewing the thing that was designed to hold them in place.

Same here.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

doctorfrog posted:

sounds like you'll just have to buy a new one! :capitalism:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

On instagram, if I try to report "@BrandX__AU" as being a impersonation/scam page, the form comes up where I have to say exactly who it's impersonating, and if I go to the actual effort of searching for the real tag "@BrandX_AU" most of the time it won't even appear in the list of results, and when it doesn't you can't even submit the report a scam form!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i really dont know if the reason is good or not but basically once a grocery store stops putting out baskets for shoppers I write it off

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Nobody can help you. If you need customer support for any reason, gently caress you. Click through a bunch of frequently asked questions that don't describe any issue you're experiencing before you reach the option to chat with a bot. If you're lucky you might be able to scare up a customer support number, but good luck talking to a loving human being on there either.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
To be honest I've had pretty good luck with chat options once you get to message with a human being. Still annoying as hell playing the kings quest style prompts to find the secret passage to a human being.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

Nobody can help you. If you need customer support for any reason, gently caress you. Click through a bunch of frequently asked questions that don't describe any issue you're experiencing before you reach the option to chat with a bot. If you're lucky you might be able to scare up a customer support number, but good luck talking to a loving human being on there either.

Once you've reached Bossy Lady you are right proper screwed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Outrail posted:

To be honest I've had pretty good luck with chat options once you get to message with a human being. Still annoying as hell playing the kings quest style prompts to find the secret passage to a human being.

I've had good luck with either saying agent it just crumpling like a bag of chips when it asks a question

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

redshirt posted:

Once you've reached Bossy Lady you are right proper screwed.

In spite of my username I am very nice IRL and not at all bossy :angel:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Light Gun Man posted:

I've had good luck with either saying agent it just crumpling like a bag of chips when it asks a question

Oh yeah everyone knows that

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

bossy lady posted:

I had a problem with my health insurance recently and had to navigate the entire thing by leaving voicemails with my insurance and doctor and then seeing whats sorts of automated emails resulted from that.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Outrail posted:

If you don't pick up that one thing at the beginning of the game, you die without health insurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bossy lady posted:

In spite of my username I am very nice IRL and not at all bossy :angel:

Huh. We'd have to test that.