Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
His lifelong character development was worth it for all his credulity and sincerity during the Disco Elysium playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I don't know how you could be familiar with Woolie and not see him latching onto Amarant comimg the moment he announced he was gonna play FF9.

He's a character with dreads who is completely underwritten after a cool entrance and has non standard weapons. If Amarant's hair was purple he'd literally be what Woolie would get made if he won some sort of "Amano draws your OC" prize.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I don't know how you could be familiar with Woolie and not see him latching onto Amarant comimg the moment he announced he was gonna play FF9.

He's a character with dreads who is completely underwritten after a cool entrance and has non standard weapons. If Amarant's hair was purple he'd literally be what Woolie would get made if he won some sort of "Amano draws your OC" prize.

Oh it's not UNEXPECTED

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Amarant isn't meant to be cool. His backstory gets laughed at in game, he falls down a hole, and he gets lowkey called a pedophile by multiple characters because he talked to Eiko like 1 time. Even if he actually got screentime he would never be the 2kool4school edgelord that people seem to want, he's parodic comic relief

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It is super weird to see Woolie at 120% thirst as soon as Karlach was on screen in BG3, he is way more direct about it than Reggie :lol:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Perfect Potato posted:

Amarant isn't meant to be cool. His backstory gets laughed at in game, he falls down a hole, and he gets lowkey called a pedophile by multiple characters because he talked to Eiko like 1 time. Even if he actually got screentime he would never be the 2kool4school edgelord that people seem to want, he's parodic comic relief

You could show imax films with a brain like this.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Overlord K posted:

It is super weird to see Woolie at 120% thirst as soon as Karlach was on screen in BG3, he is way more direct about it than Reggie :lol:

Woolie's lust for punchwomen is known, and Karlach is a Barbarian who's very open about her desire to get down as soon as she doesn't melt whoever she touches. It's not too surprising.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Will I ever get tired of woolie having seen something and then incorrectly describing it to pat who has not seen the thing?

The answer is yes, yes I get tired of it

The whole attack on titan it would have been better if they had wiped out that last 20%!!! thing is so completely missing the point of the last arc that it's just tiring. The entire point is that even if they did wipe that last bit out, eldians would still split apart into factions and infight and war against each other anyways because that is what humans do.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I guess the AoT Anime-only gigantic cyberpunk futurescape signifying that literal 100s of years had passed and the new conflict could've been about anything was still not enough for the old Woolie brain

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lmao of course Woolie is still on board with attack on titan

E: and BRING BACK INTERMISSIONS TO MOVIES GOD drat IT

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 15, 2023

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Monathin posted:

Woolie's lust for punchwomen is known, and Karlach is a Barbarian who's very open about her desire to get down as soon as she doesn't melt whoever she touches. It's not too surprising.

I mean we knew he already had a thing for her before meeting her in the stream LP due to picking her as his off camera origin character, but hearing Woolie go that hard caught me completely off guard :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Imagine watching or reading AoT after the basement reveal lmao. Yes, I would like to stay after the movie to watch a guy clean the theater.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Watching Pat and Paige watch the Golden Joysticks Award. Pat wasn’t joking about it being a trashfire. Troy Baker was seething so hard at times he gave off Homelander vibes.

choopercabra
Aug 8, 2006
I dropped AoT before they even got to the basement. Though all the complaints I've heard about it since then kinda make me want to revisit it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I don’t get this, AoT has been great and the final season was really good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I need a timeline of what the game of telephone around AoT was and what actually happened. All I've got is people think it's fascist and some fans are almost flesh golem-levels of attached to Eren since he's the protagonist and those guys are never wrong even if his magnificent plan is to do a genocide.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
eren got to see all of time and just kinda meatheaded to a conclusion "yeah i guess i gotta kill everybody"

all the discourse around it revolves around an idiot loser reaching an idiotic loser conclusion

you can read deeper into it but why would you bother? Eren didn't.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah the final arc and turn for most of the main cast is just so dumb it makes the ending feel incredibly contrived which makes the big emotional moments the ending is trying to land on so loving hollow. Like the whole "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer on our behalf"

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Oh, that's a manga thing right? Because that was all rewritten for the anime.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh, that's a manga thing right? Because that was all rewritten for the anime.

Yeah, but the overall narrative is still in the anime and the small changes in the ending don't walk that much of the problems back.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh hey cool they read my email, that was a jumpscare at work when I heard my username out loud suddenly lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

eren got to see all of time and just kinda meatheaded to a conclusion "yeah i guess i gotta kill everybody"

all the discourse around it revolves around an idiot loser reaching an idiotic loser conclusion

you can read deeper into it but why would you bother? Eren didn't.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the final arc and turn for most of the main cast is just so dumb it makes the ending feel incredibly contrived which makes the big emotional moments the ending is trying to land on so loving hollow. Like the whole "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer on our behalf"

That still doesn't explain why the fascism allegations started.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they started because the show has strong militaristic overtones and people on twitter are idiots who still have to be reminded that portrayal doesn't equal endorsement

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think it is entirely fair to say that Attack on Titan can read in endorsement of, or at least comically uncritical of, a militaristic nationalism that is, at its worst points, indistinguishable from fascism. If you want to claim it's trying to say those things are bad it's doing so in a real, real drat limpwristed way.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ever since i heard the big twist of what the titans are, i knew the show was loving dumb as poo poo and not worth the time. interesting premise at the start, but there's absolutely no way to take it seriously

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The thing about AoT and fascism is that it wholeheartedly believes not so much that fascism is perfection as it believes that fascism is the only model a society can have so it doesn't matter that it's bad, because there's no alternative to it. Fascism is forever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm glad my interest in AOT completely died around the time it was revealed Eren could transform into a titan. Just completely sapped the allure of the story away from me which was the hopelessly outgunned humans trying to take on big monsters with spiderman swings.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rody One Half posted:

The thing about AoT and fascism is that it wholeheartedly believes not so much that fascism is perfection as it believes that fascism is the only model a society can have so it doesn't matter that it's bad, because there's no alternative to it. Fascism is forever.
lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I feel like you all are describing a vastly different show than what I watched

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And thus I remain confused about what anyone was actually screaming over for the first 3 seasons.

Same thing happened with Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it rules when you get a bunch of people circlejerking about not having watched Thing and basing everything off hearsay

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
One thing I will say is that I'm glad Woolie continued to try to enjoy a show he loved in spite of the insane nonsense the diseased twitter circles in his periphery were constantly spewing out. A lesser, smaller, balder man would've given in and pretended they never liked the show in the first place

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm glad my interest in AOT completely died around the time it was revealed Eren could transform into a titan. Just completely sapped the allure of the story away from me which was the hopelessly outgunned humans trying to take on big monsters with spiderman swings.

:same:

Made through the first season and I was done after that

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
I made it all the way to Final Season Part 1 then dropped it. I thought that MAPPA did a good job with the material that they had, but the writing just became way less gripping after the basement reveal.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

I don't think this is true fwiw

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't either. Attack on Titan does though.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
There was the issue of the use of Holocaust imagery with Eldians in concentration camps wearing armbands with the added bonus that all Eldians have the potential to turn into giant monsters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

theCalamity posted:

There was the issue of the use of Holocaust imagery with Eldians in concentration camps wearing armbands with the added bonus that all Eldians have the potential to turn into giant monsters.

to be fair this is the same issue the X-men have whenever a writer tries to have them as a standin for a minority

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rody One Half posted:

I don't either. Attack on Titan does though.
it does not

Aot may be extremely cynical and misanthropic most of the time but it never says fascism is the right course for anything and shows time and time again the problems with it. It's not incorrect that fascists will try to undermine and take over any other form of government or coopt otherwise righteous movements. Hell, pay attention to current politics and you can watch fascist infiltration happen in real time!

Andrast posted:

to be fair this is the same issue the X-men have whenever a writer tries to have them as a standin for a minority
yeah I'm not the biggest fan of what isayama tried to do there and I don't think he completely pulled it off, but I also don't think he completely flubbed it either. Unfortunately isayama is no yukimura. And that's okay, I think AOT is a solid 8 out of 10 overall, with a badly flubbed finale, but apparently the anime fixed some of the issues with the epilogue

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Listen, all I know is that the turning point for me on the series was when one of the big captains or whatever was revealed to be a proponent of putting torture victims into a chair upside down and having a tube go from their butt to their own mouth so they could eat their own poo poo.

Like I get the point of the scene was "huh, I think we might have a fair share of bad eggs and psychos running this thing" but buddy I don't ever wanna see that in any medium.