Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Looks overcooked honestly. You're supposed to cook it severely underdone so you can slice it and cook it again in the pan/oven/microwave like you would normal pre sliced bacon you get from the store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

McSpankWich posted:

Looks overcooked honestly. You're supposed to cook it severely underdone so you can slice it and cook it again in the pan/oven/microwave like you would normal pre sliced bacon you get from the store

I misremembered the temps and cooked it to 160° at 250° instead of 150° at 225°. So yeah, maybe a tad overcooked and a little under-cured (I may have underestimated the amount of liquid in my cure and not used enough Prague powder). :sweatdrop:

It's not a lab-tested recipe though, and Meathead is pretty clear to never ever make those ever because food safety, so I'm paranoid I did a bad thing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 4, 2023

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I. M. Gei posted:

speaking of Meathead

how safe/unsafe does this bacon look? :ohdear:

If it's not a human leg or has any maggots around the bone, it's fair game

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone smoked a whole turkey recently? Do you feel spatchcock is necessary? What about brining?

I kind of feel if I was going to spatchcock it I'd just go all the way and cut it into two halves, which would be way easier to brine if I was going to do that, too.
My primary complaint is that often directions for spatchcocking or halving will tell you to toss the backbone. Keep it, cook it right alongside, and enjoy the oysters and crispy skin secretly in the kitchen

I. M. Gei posted:

I misremembered the temps and cooked it to 160° at 250° instead of 150° at 225°. So yeah, maybe a tad overcooked and a little under-cured (I may have underestimated the amount of liquid in my cure and not used enough Prague powder). :sweatdrop:

It's not a lab-tested recipe though, and Meathead is pretty clear to never ever make those ever because food safety, so I'm paranoid I did a bad thing.
I don’t know anything about the recipe or what you did, and nobody can identify the presence or absence of clostridium from a photo, but “not enough Prague powder” seems like the #1 way you don’t want to gently caress up

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Anne Whateley posted:

My primary complaint is that often directions for spatchcocking or halving will tell you to toss the backbone. Keep it, cook it right alongside, and enjoy the oysters and crispy skin secretly in the kitchen

Or just stash them in the freezer until you have enough for stock. Spatchcoking is for sure the way to go with any whole bird, in my opinion.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

I don’t know anything about the recipe or what you did, and nobody can identify the presence or absence of clostridium from a photo, but “not enough Prague powder” seems like the #1 way you don’t want to gently caress up

I guess they'd be bad in different ways: too much could produce too high a nitrite level, not enough might leave room for bacteria to grow.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Someone in my neighborhood is junking a Louisiana Grill vertical smoker. There has to be something wrong with it, but is it worth salvaging?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I cut my bacon into ~1/2" cubes and mixed it with onions, roasted garlic, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and a modified clone of the T.G.I. Friday's Whiskey Glaze but with Jamaican rum instead of whiskey and real sugar Coke instead of water.

Then I stuffed that inside a whole pineapple and smoked it.

The fruits (:dadjoke:) of my labor so far:

After a little under 50 minutes of smoke I put some butter on it to keep it moist and wrapped it in foil. Now we're just waiting for the contents to come up to temp.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 6, 2023

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I am intrigued.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yes, the low fat content of bacon traditionally calls for added butter in the cooking process.

I don’t see how stewing pork belly in a pineapple is going to create ‘burnt’ ends but I expect it will be tasty nonetheless.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Murgos posted:

I don’t see how stewing pork belly in a pineapple is going to create ‘burnt’ ends but I expect it will be tasty nonetheless.

https://thecookingfacts.com/does-pineapple-juice-tenderize-pork/

From the article: posted:

Quick Answer
Yes, pineapple juice contains an enzyme called bromelain, which breaks down protein and can help to tenderize pork. However, it is important to use pineapple juice in moderation as too much can turn the meat mushy and affect the overall flavor. It is recommended to marinate the pork in pineapple juice for a limited time (typically less than an hour) and then rinse it off before cooking to avoid over-tenderization.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah but the majority of that meat is just going to braise in the pineapple. It will cook through and it will probably be tender, but most of it won't be exposed to the smoke and it certainly won't come out like burnt ends unless the plan is to remove the meat when it's at temp and finish like regular burnt ends. Thinking about it, I assume that is the plan because otherwise it's gonna be gross.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The filling minus the sauce and brown sugar/spice mix was blasted with smoke for about an hour on its own before it went in the pineapple.

So...... I guess ignore the burnt ends thing. The goal was for it to come out delicious. Which it did.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone smoked a whole turkey recently? Do you feel spatchcock is necessary? What about brining?

I kind of feel if I was going to spatchcock it I'd just go all the way and cut it into two halves, which would be way easier to brine if I was going to do that, too.

Dry brine for two days has been the sweet spot for me. I've done them whole, spatchcocked, wet, dry brine etc and the one that's come out the best every time has been spatchcocked and 48 hour brined. Best bird by far.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I cooked a cowboy steak on my kamado for my 40th this weekend.

About 90 minutes at 250f, until I hit 110 internal followed by a rest and a sear.served it with a cilantro based chimmichuri. It was heckin' good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pro Tip: Eat that poo poo with garlic herb cheese butter. I think I used either roquefort or cambozola cheese last time I made it. poo poo was GOOOOOOD!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I couldn't be trusted with such a cut.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I cut my bacon into ~1/2" cubes and mixed it with onions, roasted garlic, brown sugar, pumpkin spice, and a modified clone of the T.G.I. Friday's Whiskey Glaze but with Jamaican rum instead of whiskey and real sugar Coke instead of water.

Then I stuffed that inside a whole pineapple and smoked it.

The fruits (:dadjoke:) of my labor so far:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/0IUwD1G.jpg[/tim]
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/xFlenfr.jpg[/tig]

After a little under 50 minutes of smoke I put some butter on it to keep it moist and wrapped it in foil. Now we're just waiting for the contents to come up to temp.
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/R799Dd8.jpg[/tig]
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/1TuvGYI.jpg[/tim]

I thought this was a Bird With Big Dick poo poo post in the Costco thread at first.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ROJO posted:

I thought this was a Bird With Big Dick poo poo post in the Costco thread at first.

lol I just saw that post

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice weather today, so threw on a few prime chuck roasts to try out the new Signals.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Gonna need a follow-up to see the finished results please!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

JSmithOTI posted:

Gonna need a follow-up to see the finished results please!

Smaller guy is getting real close! Usually wrap at 160ish, but I got tied up and just let them go without. Will see how that worked out soon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This will do

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Hell yeah! That looks awesome

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Doing a chicken smoke right now to practice for turkey. Thinking of doing mayo for the binder as I would do mustard for pork shoulder. Crazy? I did it on the skin side just now. Knob of butter in lengthwise breast cut. I also put some of that chicken boillon powder in the rub. Fully halved the bird.

I still need to read this, catching up on the thread:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Doing a chicken smoke right now to practice for turkey. Thinking of doing mayo for the binder as I would do mustard for pork shoulder. Crazy? I did it on the skin side just now. Knob of butter in lengthwise breast cut. I also put some of that chicken boillon powder in the rub. Fully halved the bird.

I still need to read this, catching up on the thread:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/ultimate-bbq-turkey-recipe/

Cookscountry has a baked turkey recipe where they do a mayo rub

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Mayo is whipped oil in an egg binder. It’s pretty much perfect for this application.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
The chicken was really good even without a dry brine. Feel prepared! Surprisingly fast, just got 2 bunches of hickory chip into the masterbuilt electric at the 275 F max, then it was done.

We're gonna do an early thanksgiving this weekend bc my brother is flying out on Monday.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Went to a goonmeet halfway across the country yesterday and figured I could bring some smoked goods.
The furthest I'd ever taken pulled pork after wrapping was 80km and about 90 minutes, so I had some mixed feelings about the challenge of doing 400km and six loving hours

Grabbed about 18 pounds of pork, trimmed, rubbed and vacuumed it

The day before the cook, it occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to fit that amount of meat into my current sous-vide tub, so I grabbed a new one from deutschbag-Homedepot and made some modifications

Fired up the smoker at 3:20am and threw the meat on about 40mins later

About 2 hours before packing it up

Excellent-looking butts. Pulled them at about 93°C/200°F core temp

Wrapped each butt in baking-sheets and then three layers of aluminum foil, then crammed them into a cooler with 3 liters of scalding hot water and 1.5 liters of the post-sous-vide meat-juice that I had reduced a bit

400km and 6 hours later, they weren't as tender as when I pulled them, but they surprisingly held their temperature very well, and for pulling/serving it was enough to just cook up the meat-juice and mix it in to make for a satisfying product.
tl;dr: long-distance pulled pork can still be a crowd-pleaser, but let's not talk about the CO2-footprint

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

This isn't a slow-smoking question per se, but I hope y'all will be willing to help me out. I want to cook a brisket for Thanksgiving, and I'm going to my parents' house. They don't have the equipment for slow smoking, but my dad has a Little Chief smoker. I was thinking I could smoke the brisket in there for a while, then finish it in the crock pot or oven. My hope is to partly simulate a barbecued brisket. Questions:

1. Will this be good?
2. What seasoning should I apply to the brisket before it goes in the smoker?
3. How long should it be in the smoker? This is not a cooker-smoker, smoker only. I'll have pretty much all day.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How big?
Why can't you use the little chief for the whole thing?
Can you smoke it and bring it down?

Smoke, finish in the oven (I wouldn't use the crock pot, the smoke /crust/rub will seep out into the liquid) then glaze.
The more experienced people will correct me on this

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would not hinge thanksgiving dinner on a first time brisket with the first time on a borrowed smoker. You haven’t even specified the weight of the brisket.

Smoke to temperature. 190-200 internal. Wrap in paper at 160f. Make sure you keep the smoker between 225-250.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It looks like the Little Chief Smoker only goes up to 165f.

If you’re dead set on doing it, assuming a full 10-12lb packer brisket, this is how I’d try.

Salt and pepper only. More than you probably think is right.

Into the Little Chief for a solid 6ish hours. I’d be hoping for the outside looking pretty much like beef jerky by this point.

Line a sheet pan with foil, put the brisket on it, then fully enclose in foil.

Put it in the oven at 275, and start poking it after another 5 hours, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes longer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

If you’re dead set on doing it, assuming a full 10-12lb packer brisket, this is how I’d try.

Into the Little Chief for a solid 6ish hours. I’d be hoping for the outside looking pretty much like beef jerky by this point.

Put it in the oven at 275, and start poking it after another 5 hours, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes longer.

This, if you're targeting an evening meal you're going to want to start it probably 3-4am to be safe. They always seem to take longer than you budget for, and if it gets done early you just wrap it in towels and throw it in a cooler.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

HootTheOwl posted:

How big?
Why can't you use the little chief for the whole thing?
Can you smoke it and bring it down?

It's six pounds. I don't think the Little Chief achieves cooking temperatures, which seems to be confirmed by some of the posts downthread. I can't smoke it myself because I also don't have the equipment.

Doom Rooster posted:

All right, this seems pretty easy to follow. Thanks! I don't have any illusions that this is going to be a smoked brisket that will fool anyone who's into barbecue. I'm just hoping to cook it tender and, prior to that, impart some smokey flavor to it.

Just to confirm: I smoke the thing uncovered/unwrapped for six(ish) hours, but then wrap it in foil while it bakes? That's enough to keep it drying out? The reason I was thinking crock pot was out of fear of it getting too dry. Obviously, I am not an experienced barbecue man. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't speak to the rest of it, but if you wrap it with foil it will absolutely not dry out. Will be much closer to smoked pot roast. Which is still delicious.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Racing Stripe posted:

It's six pounds. I don't think the Little Chief achieves cooking temperatures, which seems to be confirmed by some of the posts downthread. I can't smoke it myself because I also don't have the equipment.

All right, this seems pretty easy to follow. Thanks! I don't have any illusions that this is going to be a smoked brisket that will fool anyone who's into barbecue. I'm just hoping to cook it tender and, prior to that, impart some smokey flavor to it.

Just to confirm: I smoke the thing uncovered/unwrapped for six(ish) hours, but then wrap it in foil while it bakes? That's enough to keep it drying out? The reason I was thinking crock pot was out of fear of it getting too dry. Obviously, I am not an experienced barbecue man. Thanks for the help, everyone.

The drying out and cook times depend on the size and type of brisket. If it’s a full packer brisket, yep, enclosed in foil (just like, a tight tend over the tray with the brisket, not wrapping the actual brisket) will keep it from being dry.

If you just have a trimmed flat, then you’ll cook it way less. Like 4 hours in the smoker, and another 2-3 in the oven at 275. I’d probably fully wrap in this scenario.

Either way though, I forgot to mention letting it rest for at least an hour. If you can spare the oven space, just turn the oven off and let it go for at least an hour, up to 3, before serving. If the oven needs to be freed up, an hour at room temp.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

I was just going to edit my post to specify it’s a flat brisket, but you’re all too fast. Looks like Doom Rooster covered that though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Doom Rooster posted:

The drying out and cook times depend on the size and type of brisket. If it’s a full packer brisket, yep, enclosed in foil (just like, a tight tend over the tray with the brisket, not wrapping the actual brisket) will keep it from being dry.
Can you elaborate? I was wrapping the meat and putting the wrap in the foil tray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Doom Rooster posted:

Seconding this approach. Give it some smoke at the beginning and then take it the rest of the way in the oven. Most of the smoke flavor is taken on in the first few hours of the cook and the oven is going to be way more predictable than an unknown smoker.

e: I am way behind the thread, oh well