Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
TikTok Says It's Not the Algorithm, Teens Are Just Pro-Palestine

I don't think it's unexpected for the Bin Laden thing to go viral, a couple million views on TikTok isn't huge for a given subject, and given how uniformly pro-Israel the government and mainstream media has been, you're going to be willing to look outside the Overton window. The fact that basically the worst villain in American eyes since Hitler is being heard out is a sign of out of touch with young people respectable media has become. A whole lot of these people believe they've been lied to, and trying to see what else they've been lied to about. Anyone on SA thinking this is a secret plot by TikTok to make kids pro-Hamas should remember how much of the same dynamics were at play in the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A big part of the reason is that insurance companies fight to negotiate the lowest payments and hospitals want the most money, so the prices are all just made up wild numbers that exist to be negotiated downwards.

Occasionally hitting an innocent self-pay customer in the crossfire, financially ruining them in a spiral of debt and depression

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

tractor fanatic posted:

I don't think it's unexpected for the Bin Laden thing to go viral, a couple million views on TikTok isn't huge for a given subject, and given how uniformly pro-Israel the government and mainstream media has been, you're going to be willing to look outside the Overton window. The fact that basically the worst villain in American eyes since Hitler is being heard out is a sign of out of touch with young people respectable media has become. A whole lot of these people believe they've been lied to, and trying to see what else they've been lied to about. Anyone on SA thinking this is a secret plot by TikTok to make kids pro-Hamas should remember how much of the same dynamics were at play in the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq.

yeah i dont think its some secret plot either. I just think its angry kids looking for alternative sources of media and truths and will just believe anything that sounds credible, which i dont fully blame them for. alot of these kids wernt even alive when 9/11 happened so i can't really blame them. It doesnt help that alot of footage out their is from different wars and other horrible poo poo and it all gets meshed together. shits depressing.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

If your assertion is that people shouldn't be reading it, it seems logical that we should then not allow people to read it.

This doesn't logically follow at all. There are many reasons that, even if we prefer people aren't endorsing hateful manifestos to each other, destroying online access to those manifestos might not be a viable solution.

There are many, many things that we don't want people to do, but we lack any decent and effective way to stop people from doing them.

That's what I happen to think - it's obviously bad that people are sharing a murderous spiel against Jews and gays as "the real truth" but trying to take down the letter only exacerbates the problem while violating valuable free speech principles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1724942399431217457

Fortunately, the letter is still available through a government source or at the very least, it’s been archived online. It does hearten me that a lot of people are learning about our involvement in the Middle East

Have you actually read Bin Laden's letter to America?

Because it literally opens with talk about "the Jewish problem" and decadent western value and it's not really great that some people are "having their eyes opened" by it. The rest of it just basic "Europe and the U.S. killed people in the middle east, so don't be surprised when we try to kill you back." and "corporations bad" that you can read anywhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 16, 2023

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Civilized Fishbot posted:

This doesn't logically follow at all. There are many reasons that, even if we prefer people aren't endorsing hateful manifestos to each other, destroying online access to those manifestos might not be a viable solution.

There are many, many things that we don't want people to do, but we lack any decent and effective way to stop people from doing them.

That's what I happen to think - it's obviously bad that people are sharing a murderous spiel against Jews and gays as "the real truth" but trying to take down the letter only exacerbates the problem while violating valuable free speech principles.

So in theory, if there was a way for someone to completely wipe this document from the internet/libraries/etc., you would support it?

Your entire argument here is on the practicality of deleting it, not the merits of deleting it, if I'm reading it correctly.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

So in theory, if there was a way for someone to completely wipe this document from the internet/libraries/etc., you would support it?

Your entire argument here is on the practicality of deleting it, not the merits of deleting it, if I'm reading it correctly.

No you're not reading it correctly. Read it again:

"but trying to take down the letter only exacerbates the problem while violating valuable free speech principles."

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

tractor fanatic posted:

Fun fact: this is not even Tiktok-specific:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/11/13/tiktok-facebook-instagram-gaza-hastags/

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

No you're not reading it correctly. Read it again:

"but trying to take down the letter only exacerbates the problem while violating valuable free speech principles."

Okay but the rest of your post talks about "a viable solution" and "we lack any decent and effective way to stop people from doing them"

Why throw these parts in there if you disagree on the basis of free speech, which you only mention in the last 3 words of the post? If you disagree on free speech principles, you should probably make that the main point of your post, not something you add at the very end.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

Good, honest information is freely available and has been freely available for everyone for a long time now. It's a problem when kids say their eyes have been opened by an anti-Semitic screed. I think that media literacy has gotten very poor amongst everyone, but especially younger people.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It's embarrassing for anyone who reads something written by Osama bin Laden and thinks they have to hand it to him, but I don't think you can generalize from some tiktoks to "this is what young people believe"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I live in Texas, there aren't many Jews here, I think fewer than 300k, so I don't know very many Jewish people. But I was just talking to one of the few Jewish friends I do have and she told me that she had protesters show up to her temple to protest Israel. She's not a zionist, she opposes Israeli military action in Gaza, she's a sweet, kind person and she's terrified because someone's already tried to burn down her synagogue (some years ago, not because of this) and now you have a group of people, are then neo Nazis? are they leftists?, showing up to protest a random temple in Austin Texas like that has anything to do with Israel or Gaza.

There has been a disconcerting trend of anti-semitism on social media over the last few years and opportunistic bigots and racists are using the justified horror at the actions of the israeli government as a way to get to naive younger people and grow their movement.

small butter posted:

Good, honest information is freely available and has been freely available for everyone for a long time now. It's a problem when kids say their eyes have been opened by an anti-Semitic screed. I think that media literacy has gotten very poor amongst everyone, but especially younger people.

Exact same thing happened with 9/11 conspiracy theories, I don't think we should "teach the controversy" by encouraging Gen Z to watch Loose Change

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

small butter posted:

Did the generations that supported the Global War on Terrorism have more or less media literacy than the Zoomers?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

koolkal posted:

Okay but the rest of your post talks about "a viable solution" and "we lack any decent and effective way to stop people from doing them"

Why throw these parts in there if you disagree on the basis of free speech, which you only mention in the last 3 words of the post? If you disagree on free speech principles, you should probably make that the main point of your post, not something you add at the very end.

I disagree with banning the letter for mainly two reasons - it would exacerbate conspiratorial antisemitism and homophobia and it would violate the free speech ideals which enable democracy.

I describe both these reasons so you have twice as many chances to understand why "it's bad that people are endorsing bigoted screeds to each other" does not logically imply "someone should destroy all access to these letters."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 16, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

James Garfield posted:

It's embarrassing for anyone who reads something written by Osama bin Laden and thinks they have to hand it to him, but I don't think you can generalize from some tiktoks to "this is what young people believe"

yeah this. its dumb overly online kids and adults who are mad about the world and justifiably mad at israel doing genocide and are going down some bad rabbit holes

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

small butter posted:

Kids are going down this rabbit hole because they are seeing their government and media openly lying to them and gaslighting them about a genocide. For them, "media literacy" means the entirety of Western media has no credibility and should be disregarded.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

I live in Texas, there aren't many Jews here, I think fewer than 300k, so I don't know very many Jewish people. But I was just talking to one of the few Jewish friends I do have and she told me that she had protesters show up to her temple to protest Israel. She's not a zionist, she opposes Israeli military action in Gaza, she's a sweet, kind person and she's terrified because someone's already tried to burn down her synagogue (some years ago, not because of this) and now you have a group of people, are then neo Nazis? are they leftists?, showing up to protest a random temple in Austin Texas like that has anything to do with Israel or Gaza.

There has been a disconcerting trend of anti-semitism on social media over the last few years and opportunistic bigots and racists are using the justified horror at the actions of the israeli government as a way to get to naive younger people and grow their movement.

Exact same thing happened with 9/11 conspiracy theories, I don't think we should "teach the controversy" by encouraging Gen Z to watch Loose Change

And yet somehow I don't think we will see the GOP declaring we need to ban Twitter.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Devor posted:

Occasionally hitting an innocent self-pay customer in the crossfire, financially ruining them in a spiral of debt and depression

Yep. It's complete nonsense, but everyone has their system set up that way and doesn't want to be the first person to start charging/asking for "reasonable" final prices.

A pharma CEO was testifying before congress back in the 2010's and basically explained it pretty bluntly.

Some Senator asked how they can charge $1,468 a month for a drug that costs $28 a month to manufacture.

Their response was, "98% of people taking the drug pay $10 out of pocket and their insurance covers $40 for a total of only $50 in revenue on our end. It's not fair to say we charge that much."

The follow-up question was about the 2% that pay retail price and they just said that most of those are private buyers or clinics who supply themselves with the medication. The small section of that remaining is uninsured people who don't know about their uninsured coupon program and that pharmacies should tell their customers about it, because they can only pay $10 with it.

Someone asked why they don't just charge $50 instead of $1,468 if they only get $50 from 98% of sales anyway and they basically just said that everyone uses crazy made up numbers, so we have to use that number to get the $50 we want (also unspoken is the individual uninsured self-pay people who are paying $1,468 are basically just bonuses) and we can't change the system.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BUUNNI posted:

Did the generations that supported the Global War on Terrorism have more or less media literacy than the Zoomers?

Everyone has less media literacy now because the methods of influence have become so ubiquitous and sources of information so plentiful that it's very, very difficult to discriminate between signal and noise, even for the very media savvy. Your average 19 year old has no loving chance.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I feel like one thing that makes home births seem appealing is that in the modern age we've forgotten how bad things can go during a birth. I recall an article a few years ago where the writer was an expectant mother who attended a class on giving birth (the article may have actually been about home births but I don't recall for sure) and the instructor asked what people regarded as the biggest dangers. A couple of people said stuff like "It'll take a long time" "It'll be very painful" and then someone busts out "Both I and my baby die in childbirth."

Yeah this. My wife is an OBGYN and most people have no idea how many things can go wrong and do pretty frequently. She's forever coming home with crazy stories about frantically saving a baby or mothers life. A very quick google tells me the rate of death in childbirth for women not that long ago before modern medicine was 1.5% and goes much higher the further back you go. I believe the rate of the baby dying is probably much much higher anecdotally from my wife's stories that is usually where the problem is. So at best you've probably got a 1 in 50 chance you or your baby could die without medical intervention. That is pretty high. There aren't more deaths from homebirths because a lot of the more common issues will present in time to get to the hospital or there will be warning factors in your checkups beforehand and you get advised strongly not to do a homebirth, but realistically everybody should just suck it up and have your baby in a hospital. I can understand why people want homebirths but they are taken on a pretty high risk with literally the most precious thing in their lives. Seems crazy to me but I hear stories about the bad stuff everyday so :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

tractor fanatic posted:

Kids are going down this rabbit hole because they are seeing their government and media openly lying to them and gaslighting them about a genocide. For them, "media literacy" means the entirety of Western media has no credibility and should be disregarded.

Very few of these people consume news from any source other than their social media. You think Gen Alpha is reading the NYT, watching the Nightly News with Whoever the gently caress, waking up early to catch the Sunday shows? No they get it from tik tok

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

tractor fanatic posted:

Are kids these days watching CNN? What western media are they even consuming?

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Everyone has less media literacy now because the methods of influence have become so ubiquitous and sources of information so plentiful that it's very, very difficult to discriminate between signal and noise, even for the very media savvy. Your average 19 year old has no loving chance.

This is another reason we shouldn't remove primary documentation; I want to read what the person said, not what the media said that they said or what some person on twitter thinks about it. I don't want to rely on others interpretation of something because I don't even know were reading the same thing as witnessed by this one-sided conversation.

School shooter manifestos, The Turner Diaries, Mein Kumph, Osama Bin Ladens letter to America should all be archived to read. Trying to hide the information doesn't work and claiming that it helps media literacy is pretty ridiculous to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

tractor fanatic posted:

I think your applying a narrative or motivation to their actions that isn't there. According to the same article, most of them are teens that don't follow politics, don't watch the news, and weren't very aware of the I/P conflict or American foreign policy until recently. That seems to indicate that it isn't a mass group of people rejecting their old sources of news and is more that this is the first they have heard about it because it has come up in the place where they usually get their information for the first time.

Also, the huge disclaimer that a bunch of influencers on TikTok does not remotely fully represent or equal everyone under the age of 20.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I think your applying a narrative or motivation to their actions that isn't there. According to the same article, most of them are teens that don't follow politics, don't watch the news, and weren't very aware of the I/P conflict or American foreign policy until recently. That seems to indicate that it isn't a mass group of people rejecting their old sources of news and is more that this is the first they have heard about it because it has come up in the place where they usually get their information for the first time.

Also, the huge disclaimer that a bunch of influencers on TikTok does not remotely fully represent or equal everyone under the age of 20.

The government and media are still openly lying to them and gaslighting them about a genocide though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gurragadon posted:

This is another reason we shouldn't remove primary documentation; I want to read what the person said, not what the media said that they said or what some person on twitter thinks about it. I don't want to rely on others interpretation of something because I don't even know were reading the same thing as witnessed by this one-sided conversation.

School shooter manifestos, The Turner Diaries, Mein Kumph, Osama Bin Ladens letter to America should all be archived to read. Trying to hide the information doesn't work and claiming that it helps media literacy is pretty ridiculous to me.

No one disagrees. And all that stuff is available, if you want to read the letter it's hosted online by the US Government. But you would agree that reading those things in a vacuum, without the proper historical and geopolitical context would be foolish, right?

Again this letter STARTS with "the jews control the world", this isn't something you have to squint at, this isn't a dogwhistle, it is blatant, open anti-semitism and pro-salafist theocracy and I'm very disheartened to see people try and defend it under the auspices of "Why, it's simply good information about US action in the middle east in the latter half of the 20th century" Like the next thing he says after "the jews did this" is "America's problems also come from not being under strict shariah law". These are not leftist values.

Nucleic Acids posted:

The government and media are still openly lying to them and gaslighting them about a genocide though.

Can you be gaslit if you aren't paying attention? Also no amount of "gaslighting" by the US government justifies the spread of anti-semitic and genocidal rhetoric online. It's not a "what about this" situation.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 16, 2023

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

zoux posted:

Can you be gaslit if you aren't paying attention?

What actual evidence is there that they aren’t paying attention.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Again this letter STARTS with "the jews control the world", this isn't something you have to squint at, this isn't a dogwhistle, it is blatant, open anti-semitism and pro-salafist theocracy and I'm very disheartened to see people try and defend it under the auspices of "Why, it's simply good information about US action in the middle east in the latter half of the 20th century" Like the next thing he says after "the jews did this" is "America's problems also come from not being under strict shariah law". These are not leftist values.

Because "it benefits my political beliefs" is the answer.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
The House Ethics Committee released its report on George Santos. To the shock of nobody, it turns out he's exactly as dishonest as he seems!

WaPo posted:

House investigators found “substantial evidence” that Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) knowingly violated a litany of ethics and criminal laws, according a House Ethics Committee report released Thursday.
“Representative Santos’ conduct warrants public condemnation, is beneath the dignity of the office, and has brought severe discredit upon the House,” Reps. Michael Guest (R-Miss.) and Susan Wild (D-Pa.), the committee’s chairman and senior Democrat, said in a joint statement.
The long-awaited report concluded after a month-long investigation that Santos “knowingly caused his campaign committee to file false or incomplete reports with the Federal Election Commission; used campaign funds for personal purposes; engaged in fraudulent conduct in connection with RedStone Strategies LLC; and engaged in knowing and willful violations of the Ethics in Government Act as it relates to his Financial Disclosure (FD) Statements filed with the House,” Guest and Wild said.

However, they didn't make any recommendations on what to do about it, because that apparently would take longer (and the Republican majority is so slim that they don't want to lose any more members).

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
"Getting news from TikTok" doesn't mean you are just watching some zoomer talking head any more than "getting news from Twitter" means you are just reading what randos post. Social media is about sharing content, like articles, videos, and links. A huge amount of TikTok's content is just videos ripped from elsewhere, and in a news context this usually means clips of mainstream media, or clips of Biden etc.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

zoux posted:

No one disagrees. And all that stuff is available, if you want to read the letter it's hosted online by the US Government. But you would agree that reading those things in a vacuum, without the proper historical and geopolitical context would be foolish, right?

Can you be gaslit if you aren't paying attention? Also no amount of "gaslighting" by the US government justifies the spread of anti-semitic and genocidal rhetoric online. It's not a "what about this" situation.

What I'm saying is you are talking about the wrong letter while talking about everyone having bad media literacy.

This isn't the letter that was on The Guardian.

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ubl2016/english/To%20the%20American%20people.pdf

This was the letter that was taken down.

https://archive.is/6xSxg#selection-1283.0-1605.182

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

zoux posted:

If everyone has less media literacy now then it follows that older generations have much less of it since they have spent more time being subjected to government propaganda and foreign agents in legacy and social media.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

What actual evidence is there that they aren’t paying attention.

Most of the videos linked in the Twitter thread start out saying, "I haven't really been paying attention to this before, but I saw this on my feed and decided to look into it. This blew my mind and reading the letter has opened my eyes."

Almost all of the videos end with "Osama was right" or "Me realizing he was right."

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Most of the videos linked in the Twitter thread start out saying, "I haven't really been paying attention to this before, but I saw this on my feed and decided to look into it. This blew my mind and reading the letter has opened my eyes."

Almost all of the videos end with "Osama was right" or "Me realizing he was right."

Seems like the mainstream media and the government should stop lying about the genocide then.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Nucleic Acids posted:

Seems like the mainstream media and the government should stop lying about the genocide then.

By posting antisemitic propaganda?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
These tiktoks remind me of ordering some soviet literature off amazon during early Obama at like 13 and deciding I was a stalinist now

No other leftist thought, of course, straight from nothing to edgiest possible pick convincing me

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

By posting antisemitic propaganda?

No, there actually are alternatives and I know you know that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

gurragadon posted:

What I'm saying is you are talking about the wrong letter while talking about everyone having bad media literacy.

This isn't the letter that was on The Guardian.

https://www.dni.gov/files/documents/ubl2016/english/To%20the%20American%20people.pdf

This was the letter that was taken down.

https://archive.is/6xSxg#selection-1283.0-1605.182

Ah my mistake, thanks. To be clear it's the one that says

quote:

(x) Your law is the law of the rich and wealthy people, who hold sway in their political parties, and fund their election campaigns with their gifts. Behind them stand the Jews, who control your policies, media and economy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nucleic Acids posted:

They clearly aren't reacting to something they didn't know was happening and hadn't consumed, though.

According to the people making the videos, the theory that they are doing this as a kind of rejection of their traditional sources and they were driven to Osama is not the case.

They are saying they were never exposed to/thinking about any of it before and this is the first thing they have seen about it and all of Osama's predictions came true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Ah my mistake, thanks. To be clear it's the one that says

I don't agree with it. But you were wrong and talking about the wrong document. That is why it's important to keep the documents up for media literacy.