Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why are there so many dead people in this game? My 150k city with insanely good health & cemetery coverage has a constant pile of 50-100 corpses waiting for pickup literally at all times. I don't remember the obituary section in my similar sized hometown's newspaper being 20 pages every day.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

It is a weird thing how much Cities 1 and now 2 seem to really put a focus on 'deathcare.' I don't know how it works outside of America but I don't think of this as a municipal service worthy of like, Cities:Skylines level management?
I think this is partially a function of how time is compressed in the game. Where a real life person lives like 70-80 years, a cim lives about 6, resulting in the number of daily deaths increasing by about a factor 13. That's effectively taking the peak-Covid week in Belgium, and adding 10 more of those on top.

Of course, the very fact that this is the outcome of compressing in-game time would be reason enough to not even consider touching that poo poo. The bare minimum would be making it so only every tenth death actually produces a body.

nielsm posted:

I'm pretty sure they just wanted to have a reason to put graveyards in the game, since honestly they do take up a decent amount of space in cities.
I feel like if you absolutely wanted a corpse disposal mechanic, you'd do something like:

1. Only every thirteenth death produces a body
2. Hospitals have limited storage capacity for bodies, after which they overflow into the hospital beds, reducing the quality of healthcare
3. An adjacent crematorium can process bodies directly without the need for transport
4. Hearses drive the remaining bodies to graveyards.

This would be a lot closer to the actual issue of corpse-disposal throughput, which is clogged up hospitals, rather than clogged up roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

I'm pretty sure they just wanted to have a reason to put graveyards in the game, since honestly they do take up a decent amount of space in cities.

But maybe some kind of petition system would be better for these:
"Religious society <insert generic sounding name> wishes to build a location in your city of at least X m2. It will consist of a service building and a graveyard field." (Declining/postponing might affect citizen happiness. It's implied that regular traffic to/from it includes transporting the dead but that's outside your budget. Of course, you can't just remove it again.)
"Business entrepreneur McSillyname wishes to build a new indoor shopping mall in your city." (You get to plop some giant building capable of hosting a large number of commercial businesses. Removing or relocating this will probably be expensive.)
"An oil baron has located a deposit near your city and wants permission to develop." (A specific deposit is pointed out and you might need to buy additional tiles, or maybe even evict existing development.)

I think this was a random event in SimCity 2000? - you'd be asked if you wanted a military base in your city, and if you accepted it'd be automatically plopped in a random location. You'd receive a little bonus funding, but at the cost of increased crime.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

corona familiar posted:

that game truly won me over when it became clear with enough planning you can just opt out of bad traffic by never giving people cars. I just wish you could go maximum (S)E Asia and pump out bicycles for your populace

I would love to have depth approaching W&R but the road and transport tools of Cities Skylines. there's a lot that's good and also a lot (especially the road and pedestrian tools) that's really jank

Oh yeah same, you can do a surprising amount with the road tools but it's not especially appealing, cs1 and seemingly 2 especially have very good road tools by comparison. That and the cs park tools would be super nice.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Hot off the presses, last of the weekly patches for now.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/patch-notes-for-1-0-14f1-hotfix-steam-microsoft-store.1610543/ posted:

Hi everyone. Today we have another round of gameplay fixes for you, and as Mariina mentioned in the CO Word of the Week, this is the last of the weekly patches. Going forward we are working on bigger fixes, which of course take longer. CO Word of the Week continues weekly to keep you up to date on what we're up to.

Bug fixes & improvements:
Reduced occurrences of texture resolution dropping
Fixed case where in-game would appear black when playing offline
Fixed undesired clothing variations
Fixed "Garbage Pilling Up" warning notification icon not being removed after garbage is collected
Fixed citizen model changing when characters go in/out of buildings
Increased citizen preference to park cars on building lots vs roadside
Fixed multiple pathfinding bugs and general improvements
Improved calculation accuracy for fitting pickups on parking lots
Fixed bug resetting line visibility when changing the Transport Overview Panel tab or transport type
Fixed flaws and optimized air pollution, especially on the Tampere map
Added "Under Construction" section and progress bar for spawnables SIP
Hid other SIP sections until building construction is completed
Added button to toggle visibility for whole list of lines at once
Balanced parking buildings' construction and upkeep costs, electricity and water consumption, garbage accumulation, XP rewards and workplaces
Increased service coverage range and capacity of the Elementary School, Medical Clinic, Hospital, Fire House, Fire Station, Police Station and Police Headquarters
Balanced processing and sewage capacity of Wastewater treatment plant Extra Processing Unit
Fixed coverage not shown fully green when placing Police station
Tweaked terrain cliff texture tiling and detail texture values
Fixed padding issues in the main menu
Fixed Japanese UI layout issues
Updated credits

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Increased service coverage range and capacity of the Elementary School, Medical Clinic, Hospital, Fire House, Fire Station, Police Station and Police Headquarters
Balanced processing and sewage capacity of Wastewater treatment plant Extra Processing Unit
What is this wizardry!
Does it mean you no longer have to blanket your entire city in elementary schools, perhaps? And that the extra processing unit for the water treatment is no longer a joke?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
So that just basically turns police/fire/clinics into “just plop one down and forget about them until you reach megalopolis”, right?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm not sure what the issue with schools was in the first place, I see comments about people needing to spam them in their city (also saw a reddit post today of the same, where the person put them all next to each other :psyduck:), but I don't feel like I've ever needed an abundance of them, maybe one per large housing development district. It takes a long time to graduate anyway.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

So that just basically turns police/fire/clinics into “just plop one down and forget about them until you reach megalopolis”, right?

For the first responders, there's still the range for happiness, but the speed at which trucks respond will be determined by your road network. If it is too slow, the buildings do burn down, killing occupants.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don’t know whether you need a ton of elementary schools or not, but at a certain point (about 40k people for me) they’ll all be full, all the time. Except ones on the outskirts of my city.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For one, they have a huge footprint compared to their capacity, and visually don't mesh well with an urban environment. (The scale of the building model also seems completely wrong, try comparing the height of the floors in the elementary school to any residential building.)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Also 1000 students served by 10 employees.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The scale of workplaces in this game is pretty wild in every respect. Skyscraper offices only having like 100 people working them, etc.

I think part of it may be that not every cim actually goes to work on a regular basis, only a limited number of them are, due to something about the time compression? So I think thats intentional and they're trying to balance it out with low numbers of employees everywhere, which makes the scale of things seem really wild.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I'm not sure what the issue with schools was in the first place, I see comments about people needing to spam them in their city (also saw a reddit post today of the same, where the person put them all next to each other :psyduck:), but I don't feel like I've ever needed an abundance of them, maybe one per large housing development district. It takes a long time to graduate anyway.

I think people would be ok with the original capacity if the building wasn't gigantic

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

reading the news here in philly this seems accurate :colbert:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Needing a lot of elementary schools is fine and realistic, but the school having such a huge footprint isn't. Kiel, a city of 250k, has 32 elementary schools spread throughout the city.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Needing a lot of elementary schools is fine and realistic, but the school having such a huge footprint isn't. Kiel, a city of 250k, has 32 elementary schools spread throughout the city.

The American town I went to school in has 4 public elementary schools for a bit under 40k population, but private schools are also a thing, and seem like 20% of students overall (might be different for elementary level), so something like one school for roughly 8,000 inhabitants seems roughly consistent with both, though I imagine school sizes may vary greatly in between countries.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The school change is either not actually in at all or only to its service range. :eng99:

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
Surely they need to increase ranges when you implement bus routes within a certain distance from the asset.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

They do merge really early to the point it can cause huge issues though. Before they decide to merge they'll use the full highway though.

piratepilates posted:

The problem is if you have a dense downtown you need a school every block or so to actually give coverage. My downtown has 4 elementary schools surrounding it and the center is still dark red for coverage.

Skyl3lazer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 16, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OddObserver posted:

The American town I went to school in has 4 public elementary schools for a bit under 40k population, but private schools are also a thing, and seem like 20% of students overall (might be different for elementary level), so something like one school for roughly 8,000 inhabitants seems roughly consistent with both, though I imagine school sizes may vary greatly in between countries.
Including private schools, it comes out to roughly one elementary school equivalent per 5,500 inhabitants in my Danish municipality, but you would also expect including some rural(ish) population would increase the number of schools. With no private schools, it's 7,500.

That said, school sizes as you mention probably do affect this quite a lot. Not that they're the only thing that changes depending on the country. Like, there's a factor 2.5 difference in usable residential floor area per capita between the two extremes in the EU, and then you have Canada, the US, and Australia adding 30, 40, and 60% respectively on top of the Danish EU record. I'm not sure that can actually be represented by merely using the existing different zone types, you'd probably need a super-low density McMansion zone type to really push that Anglo-colonial style.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It seems like an okay change to me? I mean you'll still need to build more schools if they are filled to capacity, and if you want to get the happiness bonus you'll want them placed more frequently. But this just increases the catchment area so they can work as rural schools

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i live in a town with a population around 14,000 and i think we have at least six or seven elementary schools. i think a lot of people may not realize how many there actually are, I saw someone claim that Lincoln Park had two elementary schools in it, but if you actually look at a map and include all of the private/magnet/charter/whatever schools it's closer to 20

Mandoric posted:

The school change is either not actually in at all or only to its service range. :eng99:

the service range was the issue they're addressing. for whatever reason happiness/property value's metric for determining if a household has available school access is tied to the building's service range, rather than something like pathfinding cost to a nearby school with an open slot. because of this you could have cities with more than adequate education services where the entire population would be melting down about not having schools because they're mad if they're more than three blocks away from one. same with healthcare probably, it's just a stupid way of calculating things

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 16, 2023

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The fact that cargo economy which seems to be tied to the mail and garbage issue (the 10x throughput was just a bandaid it seems) hasn't been mentioned or iterated on is concerning. That is part of the core economic modeling which touches every part of the game including traffic since it should generate trucks and movement of goods. Also it doesn't mention anything about people shopping directly at industry sites for no reason bypassing commercial for certain items.

It suggests that there are deeply rooted problems in the entire model that needs to be addressed.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
The problem is how amped elementary demand is, how suppressed the others are, and how forcibly undense the footprints are.

For the first, comparing numbers from my save:
Total pop. 162,000
Elementary demand 26,627 = 16.4%
High demand 2,163 = 1.3%

Compare the state of California, which makes their numbers easy to see:
Total pop. 39,240,000
Elementary students 2,768,614 = 7.0%
Intermediate students 888,647
High students 1,790,858 collectively = 6.8%
Consolidated K-12 students 300,310 = 0.8%

C:S2 does not appear to expose counts of how many "child" and "teen" cims there are, it certainly isn't in the charts and graphs panel, so I can't speculate on how much of this is new city baby boom. I can't imagine too much given the obligatory deathcare waves or the panel that does specify around 1,500 births a display month. But this is several display years in; surely at least some of them would be going to high school? It doesn't appear to be an access issue given that attendance is within a couple percent of eligible. It just looks like all "children", including 0-4 and 12-15, always go to elementary school while some "teens", only 16-19, go to high school.

Second is how big the footprints--not necessarily the buildings--are. I come from a very rural area--the core town is around 15,000, the elementary district I attended serves a village of around 3,500--and mine was an L shape composed of a roughly 30x30, 2-floor, 2-6 + services main building and a 10x30 1-floor K-1 wing, all together designed to serve 500 students. So, okay, ground student density of around 2.4m^2/student, floor student density of 4.2m^2/student.

C:S2 tiles appear to be 8 meters--that's what granularity road lengths come in, two minivans can part nose to tail in one, etc. At lowest they're 6.875, there are 16 tiles between goalposts on an American football field.
And the elementary school is 8x5 in terms of physical building, for at the most charitable 55mx35m for 1000 students = ground student density 1.925m'2/student but floor student density 3.85m^2/student.
Making a more apples-to-apples comparison would just be with the 30x30 wing designed for 400, at which point my experienced ground density = ground density 2.25m^2 per head and floor density 4.5m^2 per.

So okay, the size of the physical building isn't a problem, for sufficiently rural enough schools. What happens if we look "downtown"?
There we find a 15x30 4-story building, no longer a school, that was closed because the standardization on a par of 500 meant it wasn't full enough, though I'm not sure what its rated capacity once was. (Ironically, given this conversation, the students were merged into another school directly across the street with whom they'd previously shared a schoolyard!)

But here comes the rough part--the C:S2 elementary school also includes mandatory landscaping. Not a mandatory schoolyard, the schoolyard is an optional extra that takes even more room. Not something that can be fiddled around by placing public playgrounds or sports fields near it as is standard in urban areas. Just useless landscaping.
And that brings us to 18x8 tiles, 124 x 55 meters, for even 1000 students. 6.82m^2/per ground student density, nearly triple what I got in the middle of nowhere where space was at no premium but funding was guaranteed by the state so the architect could just go hog wild (we had four separate schoolyards, one a full-sized football field for elementary schoolers!) More than ten times what the downtown one built when we thought we might become a city was if we eyeball it at 750 students!

(Also, TBH, things that don't fit neatly in zonable depth hurt from either direction because of how C:S makes roads mandatory. That cell mast has to go directly off a road, take 2x2, and make 4x2 completely unusable; the cell mast I'm making this post through lives in the back corner of a supermarket parking lot and knocks off about 8 cars worth of parking. An elementary school in its optimal home, a 12xn block, just blights its opposite to max 4xn which is rarely max density for the zone type. But that's a complaint for another day.)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

speaking of the cell mast idea, it would be cool if they took the upgrade-in-place feature and added it to every building

like, you can click on a large building of a certain size and get the option of a cell mast, underground parking, post box, police kiosk, clinic, subway station

click on a low density residential building to get an ADU or something

lol posting all these big brained ideas like CO will ever do them

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

what's the TO&E of an American elementary school

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

VostokProgram posted:

what's the TO&E of an American elementary school

Are we talking equipped with M89 or M23 students? Rivet count's gone way down as denim jackets went out of style. :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MikeC posted:

The fact that cargo economy which seems to be tied to the mail and garbage issue (the 10x throughput was just a bandaid it seems) hasn't been mentioned or iterated on is concerning. That is part of the core economic modeling which touches every part of the game including traffic since it should generate trucks and movement of goods. Also it doesn't mention anything about people shopping directly at industry sites for no reason bypassing commercial for certain items.

It suggests that there are deeply rooted problems in the entire model that needs to be addressed.

Or like the game was released too early and that feature was not fully implemented.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Mandoric posted:

Compare the state of California, which makes their numbers easy to see:
Total pop. 39,240,000
Elementary students 2,768,614 = 7.0%
Intermediate students 888,647
High students 1,790,858 collectively = 6.8%
Consolidated K-12 students 300,310 = 0.8%

Let's not set the precedent of using California as a good baseline for anything ;)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Multiple buildings would help, I think part of the problem (other than the service radius nonsense not working) is that there's just one school and for some reason it's scaled up like crazy. Give me multiple school models, including some that fit in an urban area, and literally just shrink the current one to like 40% its current size so it has the same scale as other buildings and it'd be a lot better.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

The scale of workplaces in this game is pretty wild in every respect. Skyscraper offices only having like 100 people working them, etc.

The scale of everything is hosed up, and some of the weirdest bits of design cruft crop up when two incompatible scales collide. Eg having to give commercial buildings a failsafe mode because it's possible for their delivery trucks to get stuck in a traffic jam that lasts longer than it takes for them to go out of business

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Some of the late game development point unlocks are pretty funny, the grand bridge has already been brought up, but that automated car park tower is pretty funny, the one that's bugged if you remove/bulldoze it keeping the cars floating, or how it barely keeps more cars than other parking lots in it, or how you can only place it once, etc.

The rest of the development tree is pretty OK, but by the end its some pretty funny choices.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

piratepilates posted:

Some of the late game development point unlocks are pretty funny, the grand bridge has already been brought up, but that automated car park tower is pretty funny, the one that's bugged if you remove/bulldoze it keeping the cars floating, or how it barely keeps more cars than other parking lots in it, or how you can only place it once, etc.

The rest of the development tree is pretty OK, but by the end its some pretty funny choices.

I was on the fence about this one due to the other issues I am having with parking lots, but I need a tower of floating cars in my city.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Unbound posted:

I was on the fence about this one due to the other issues I am having with parking lots, but I need a tower of floating cars in my city.

alas

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

skooma512 posted:

Or like the game was released too early and that feature was not fully implemented.

However you want to slice it, this is bad. This is the last of the weekly hotfixes. No more are coming meaning at least 2 weeks before we see another fix. The tone of the word of the week and the opening patch notes sounds ominously like a pre xmas patch and thats it. Hopefully that patch will be the big one that fixes core gameplay.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My automated car park is right in the busiest/heaviest traffic area of my 150k city, it usually has about 16 cars in it.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Ether Frenzy posted:

My automated car park is right in the busiest/heaviest traffic area of my 150k city, it usually has about 16 cars in it.

how much street parking do you have?

I've tried to build a city with almost no street parking (mostly ped malls with trams and alleys for zoning, wide sidewalks on streets for arterial roads) and cims are desperate for parking. I relented and built two of the underground structures and they fill up immediately (and cause a huge traffic jam when they do)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
There's tons city wide, but not really a lot in the 4-5ish block radius of the parking garage. Apparently cims will walk 25 minutes to save $9.95/hr

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ether Frenzy posted:

There's tons city wide, but not really a lot in the 4-5ish block radius of the parking garage. Apparently cims will walk 25 minutes to save $9.95/hr

A city populated entirely by my dad.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Felt. lol.

Dads, amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Ether Frenzy posted:

Felt. lol.

Dads, amirite?

My dad, much like the roaming pack of dogs, was patched out of my life. Leaving a void to never be filled.