Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

MJeff posted:

#TeamNameStrong

chatgpt spoiling the commies' rebrand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's a bummer...most people can see McDermott is the problem and he needs to be swapped but upper management is so gun shy to do so.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well, I was of the mind that maybe people were having a bit of a kneejerk reaction to McDermott but then the last four days happened and well clearly I don't know anything about football other than one thing: The Bills are dooooooomed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your gonna feel silly when he establishes six different subcultures and the Bills go undefeated for the rest of the season

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, I was of the mind that maybe people were having a bit of a kneejerk reaction to McDermott but then the last four days happened and well clearly I don't know anything about football other than one thing: The Bills are dooooooomed

Organizational rot is easy to hide when the team is winning, but when they're not winning anymore, the knives come out hard (see also the Patriots).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1724885784325501074
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1724887429427908884

Reich knows he's one & done. What a trainwreck.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Him and Fitterer both deserve to go. Every single step has been a wrong one.

Get rid of them. Find a coach who can call an offense designed in the last 20 years and give your rookie QB a running game and a loving receiver.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your gonna feel silly when he establishes six different subcultures and the Bills go undefeated for the rest of the season

Gonna be even sillier when a counter culture emerges and starts organizing drum circles at midfield.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I HATE this motherfucker

https://twitter.com/alexinsdorf99/status/1724906512387371262?t=-08HMy0Ho-Jl1fFHv0eyrg&s=19

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

BlindSite posted:

Him and Fitterer both deserve to go. Every single step has been a wrong one.

Get rid of them. Find a coach who can call an offense designed in the last 20 years and give your rookie QB a running game and a loving receiver.

Let's not be too rash or hasty. Let's see what Nicole wants to do, Panthers are in good hands

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Benne posted:

It's generally a bad thing when you've been on the job for 7 years with multiple deep playoff runs and you're still talking about "culture." Something is rotten in that organization.

Probably doesn’t help that it’s come out that the owner told black players to go back to Africa if they had issues with America

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nervous posted:

Gonna be even sillier when a counter culture emerges and starts organizing drum circles at midfield.

Move the team to Asheville.

Play the games at McCormick field

Everyone gets an IPA, some shrooms, and halftime is are frisbee dogs rescued from kill shelters.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Tepper seems like a big problem with the Panthers.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

FizFashizzle posted:

Everyone gets an IPA, some shrooms, and halftime is are frisbee dogs rescued from kill shelters.

I am so god drat down.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

pasaluki posted:

Truthfully no.
At this point its more of a fan thing than a feeling within their ownership.

The having 12 men on the field thing at first glance seems like the ultimate own and a fireable offense but its not as simple as that.

McDermott made two big defensive mistakes at the end of that game. The first was sending an all out blitz on 3rd down when the all out blitz was wildly successful on 2nd and knocked the Broncos out of fg range. The 2nd is having 12 men regardless of whether the responsibility for it was on the ST coach any 12 man penalty like that the HC has to own.
The Defense has horrendous injuries and are constantly being left on the field or put in terrible situations but are playing as hard as they can. I think OVERALL McDermott is actually good at calling defensive plays.

They went off about the 12 man thing on Get Up!, about how there's three people counting players...the coach, the person in the skybox, and the defensive captain on the field, and no one managed to be able to count to 12. And about having to sub in the first place, since FG block is usually just your base defense anyway and they should have been in that for the series, not in dime. It got more excruciating as they went on, just a complete defensive and special teams gently caress up all around.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Broncos should do the same tbh, NC and CO are kindred spirits. Traffic in and out of Breckenridge would be a problem but oh well the Walmart scions can fuckin figure it out.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
What's the deal with Arthur Smith? This is an honest question, besides the gifs and the quote about Bijan contributing via decoy schemes, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Falcons this year.

When Benne writes a one sentence snark quip for a coach's blurb though, I know something is up.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

kalensc posted:

What's the deal with Arthur Smith? This is an honest question, besides the gifs and the quote about Bijan contributing via decoy schemes, I'm not very knowledgeable about the Falcons this year.

When Benne writes a one sentence snark quip for a coach's blurb though, I know something is up.

He's a turd

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

We Got Us A Bread posted:

They went off about the 12 man thing on Get Up!, about how there's three people counting players...the coach, the person in the skybox, and the defensive captain on the field, and no one managed to be able to count to 12. And about having to sub in the first place, since FG block is usually just your base defense anyway and they should have been in that for the series, not in dime. It got more excruciating as they went on, just a complete defensive and special teams gently caress up all around.
It’s come out that it was apparently Leonard Floyd who was on the field and didn’t realize he shouldn’t have been. It implies that there was a lot of confusion in the execution of changing packages from Dime to FG Block and that’s…concerning, to say the least. It kind of seems like nobody was actually on top of things, from the coaches on down.

Which is inexcusable in such a crucial moment, but the McDermott Bills find ways to come up small in big pressure moments like this with such consistency that it’s impossible to conclude it isn’t a chronic coaching failure.

And, of course, the Bills, at this point, are not only unlikely to make the playoffs: they’re not even that likely to finish with a winning record. They might finish with a worse record than any single AFC North team and/or a worse record than whichever of the Three Stooges falls rear end backwards into the NFC South divisional title!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

kalensc posted:

It's hard to even distill it down because it's like literally everything about him. First off, he is a billionaire scion of the FedEx family so he is just coaching for lulz. He could spend his whole life lounging on an island that he owns if he wanted to. Also, his mustache sucks real bad. Moving on to football issues. He has been gifted some of the absolute best offensive talent in the last few NFL drafts, including TE Kyle Pitts, WR Drake London, and most recently RB Bijan Robinson. You might expect a coach to like, use these players. Smith does not. 5th round pick Tyler Allgeier gets half or more of the RB touches. Journeyman Jonnu Smith ends up with most of the tight end touches. Smith prefers to establish the run, so London gets minimal work. And dogshit QB play and playcalling means passes to Pitts and London are largely uncatchable anyway.

On top of all this he is a massively smug rear end in a top hat (refer back to "billionaire failson" section). Given his demeanor you might think the Falcons had been experiencing some success. They finished 3rd in the NFCS in 2021, 4th in 2022, and are currently 3rd in 2023. In the NFC South. A division you can win with like 8 wins. Most recently they lost to Arizona, a team who is nakedly tanking (Cowboys did too but that's a seprarate :lol:).

TLDR

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Nov 16, 2023

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Cool, thanks!

also lol

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

OneMoreTime posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said elsewhere that the easy part of their schedule ended with the Broncos game

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Kurgarra Queen posted:

It’s come out that it was apparently Leonard Floyd who was on the field and didn’t realize he shouldn’t have been. It implies that there was a lot of confusion in the execution of changing packages from Dime to FG Block and that’s…concerning, to say the least. It kind of seems like nobody was actually on top of things, from the coaches on down.

Which is inexcusable in such a crucial moment, but the McDermott Bills find ways to come up small in big pressure moments like this with such consistency that it’s impossible to conclude it isn’t a chronic coaching failure.

And, of course, the Bills, at this point, are not only unlikely to make the playoffs: they’re not even that likely to finish with a winning record. They might finish with a worse record than any single AFC North team and/or a worse record than whichever of the Three Stooges falls rear end backwards into the NFC South divisional title!

That wasn't even the only TOO MUCH MANS of the game, there was one earlier too!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Why in God's name would you make a statement like this immediately after your team suffered an apocalyptic meltdown on defense? You gave up 41 points and had like the ninth game in two years where someone put up 500 yards of offense on your team, and you decide to go out there and go "No, we will not be making changes."

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Redeye Flight posted:

Why in God's name would you make a statement like this immediately after your team suffered an apocalyptic meltdown on defense? You gave up 41 points and had like the ninth game in two years where someone put up 500 yards of offense on your team, and you decide to go out there and go "No, we will not be making changes."

He's pulling the Josh McDaniels "i know I'm fired and don't give a gently caress" card like when he started Hoyer over AOC against a trashcan Bears team and got mauled anyway. Dude is definitely gone and should've been fired last year. Not that I'm complaining.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

He was probably answering a reporter’s question

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Reporter: Coach, why are you so stinky. Will you start taking showers? Will you change your habits and begin wiping your butt after you poop like a big boy?
Staley: No, I don’t wipe my butt and never have. I’ll continue as usual.
Normal people: wtf why would you admit that
Goons: he’s just answering a question

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I don’t think those are comparable situations to be quite honest

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SAS is, consistently, the only place I've ever seen (no matter the sport. Mostly football, but also I've seen it in threads for basketball, baseball, hockey, MMA, wrestling and rugby) that "no comment" should never be uttered at a press conference. To the point where I question if some even know it can be!

It's a thing everywhere else! Why wouldn't it be in sports?!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Answering “no comment” to “Are you giving up defensive playcalling duties?” Will probably not make anyone any happier imo but I find it hard to care about what coaches say in the first place so whatever

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

feller posted:

Answering “no comment” to “Are you giving up defensive playcalling duties?” Will probably not make anyone any happier imo but I find it hard to care about what coaches say in the first place so whatever

Can they even hide that information if they wanted to?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Never Believe Coaches

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Didn't Gase get caught lying about playcalling his last season with the Jets?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
https://x.com/kalynkahler/status/1725168150893752765?s=46

If you don’t have Athletic, the gist of the article is basically that blocking a field goal has such a minuscule chance of success that there is no reason to try to substitute the field goal block team instead of just keeping your defense out on the field in that exact situation

McDermott needs to be fired yesterday and all the bullshit from the last few days and this season as a whole makes it seem like it could actually happen sooner than I expected

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Eh, if they make the field goal (which is a high probability) the Bills lose the whole game. So I think in that situation it's understandable. It was just poorly executed. They should have known the Broncos were going to rush the FG team on at some point in that drive and should have been ready.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think it's weird to me, because I think it's relatively simple to implement a system where players know who they are replacing on the field. It still gets screwed up all the time in sports like hockey, but there's still a system in place.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
They had already hosed up two extra point tries earlier in the game and it was pretty windy on the field; nobody’s saying that you should never sub in the field goal block team or try to block a field goal but situations like that are ripe for the kicking team loving things up, no reason to add more moving parts for like a +0.2% chance at blocking the field goal

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Didn't Gase get caught lying about playcalling his last season with the Jets?
Probably. Coaches lie in press conferences about literally everything, but most often about injuries and playing outlook.

Just keep your default state as assuming everything they say is an evasion of truth and you can’t be angry at what they do or do not say.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Publicly execute the guy whose job it was to count every player on the field and I bet those types of penalties go away real quick!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Sheen Sheen posted:

https://x.com/kalynkahler/status/1725168150893752765?s=46

If you don’t have Athletic, the gist of the article is basically that blocking a field goal has such a minuscule chance of success that there is no reason to try to substitute the field goal block team instead of just keeping your defense out on the field in that exact situation

McDermott needs to be fired yesterday and all the bullshit from the last few days and this season as a whole makes it seem like it could actually happen sooner than I expected

McDermott made a mistake, not a fire-able one. Move on.