Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Friday the 13th (2009)
Dog poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Space Jam (1996): C+
I was one of the only Millennials who had never seen the movie. Now that I've finally seen it I can proudly claim my participation trophy. Space Jam was OK. Very clearly inspired by Roger Rabbit. Mac and Me-level obvious product placement (yes, I see the McDonald's cup you were clutching, Jordan). The cartoon parts were generally better than the live action and captured classic Looney Tunes cartoons pretty well (despite the non-original voices).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Daddy Longlegs (2009) - 4.5/5
Bottoms (2023) - 4/5
The Elephant 6 Recording Company (2023) - 4/5
Red Sun (1970) - 3/5
A Woman Kills (1968) - 3.5/5
Female Prisoner #701: Beast Stable (1973) - 2.5/5
Female Prisoner Scorpion: 701's Grudge Song (1973) - 1.5/5
Thriller: A Cruel Picture (1973) - 4/5
The Witch In Love (1966) - 4.5/5
Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) - 4/5
Oppenheimer (2023) - 2.5/5
Velvet Goldmine (1998) - 3/5
Time, Forward! (1977) - 3/5
Contact (1978) - 3.5/5
Shooting Range (1979) - 5/5
The Return (1980) - 4/5
The Contract (1985) - 3/5
The Pass (1988) - 4.5/5

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Little Mermaid 2023
I was ready for this one to be a disaster by reputation and the first act- where all the energy was sucked away by Bardem having to try and not succeding at dealing with the baffling choice to have Triton, the character that practicaly screamed a good 75% of his lines in the original, only emote to a smoldering gurn- was all but begging me to call time of death.

Then the movie got over itself, Mccarthy provides someone for Bailey to actively bonce off of, and then the rest of the movie is a great old time with Ariel and Eric, who the movie does a pretty good job fleshing out as being Ariel but on land and a dood, just being two absolute dorks of one mind and the animal sidekicks getting some real fun bits to do.
The origonal (afik, no exp of the musical) songs all ranged from neat (Wild Uncharted Waters, Eric's song) to actively fun (Scuttlebutt, Scuttle's bit) and given that's half the battle with musicals, thats good to hear.

Are some of the changes baffling? Yes. Outright implying Ursula kills her victims, skulls and all, was a bad idea and I actively cringed at the whole thing with the jade mermaid statuette and it being refered to as Eric or Ariel's "Little Mermaid". But what works, brilliantly adds to the movie's overall strenths in adding to Eric's character (and that of his retainer, who is this film's secret hero) or allowing Bailey to just be this wierd mermaid girl who is just having a good time topside.

Oh and any film where Millisa McCarthy gets to Thanos Snap away active bad element of the film and then grow into a Kaiju can't be all bad.

Gonna go 7 / 10, would have gone two points higher if the first act wasn't there.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 8, 2023

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Scrapper - 3.5/5

A charming story about people who continually avoid their problems having to confront them, from a child dealing with grief to a father who ran out on his family. That maybe sounds heavier than the film is. It's fairly funny and if not exactly light-hearted, it doesn't get somber. There are some surreal touches that are just enough to feel playful without becoming overbearingly cute. It's very good at efficient storytelling; the characters are rarely giving needless exposition and the details are filled in organically just by portraying their everyday lives. It also doesn't dwell too much on the social commentary, even if a lot of their situation is driven by their circumstances. I think this is director Charlotte Regan's first feature, and she does a fantastic job of having well-realized characters. I'd probably give it a higher rating, but I also don't want to shift expectations too high on it. It's heartwarming without being cloyingly so.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
batte royale 2
2/5

why didn't i listen to everyone?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Outlaw Johnny Black 3/5

Preface: I want to start by saying that there's a good possibility that I didn't like this movie because I'm unfamiliar with what it's riffing on. There are some jokes where it's clear that's what they're doing like a gag with dynamite and a cave earlier on, but I didn't notice a whole lot like that throughout the movie. If there were any references to specific movies or things other than large cinema tropes I probably missed them. If you like Westerns and Black Westerns in particular, maybe this is the funniest movie you've ever seen. I'm not equipped to answer that.

This was billed as a "spiritual successor" to Black Dynamite and in a few ways that holds up. The cast features a lot of returns from Dynamite and the film ostensibly a send-up of an old exploitation genre, this time a western. Unfortunately that's about where the similarities end. While there are a few really good jokes in here it never really feels like it gets into a groove and there are long sections of the movie where anything funny takes a backseat to dramatic story beats. The story is kind of similar to BD (evil white man is manipulating local politicians with a secret, sinister agenda that is ruinous to the black community) but is a little more serious in its theme, a meditation on Black forgiveness and Black vengeance. At one point early in the movie when told by his reverend father that he must be forgiving Johnny asks if forgiveness isn't just giving a license to your oppressor to do you more harm. After seeing his father punished for being a forgiving man and turning the other cheek, Johnny goes on a quest for vengeance and gets wrapped up in local politics in an Oklahoma town . The question is an interesting one given the current political climate where minorities black people are told to be "forgiving" and nonviolent and to win their cause with education, compassion and rhetorical politeness (this view is espoused directly by a character early in the movie). However, that point is undercut by several references by the movie to "White women raped by black men," an accusation heinous enough that the government would allow the destruction of an entire black community without evidence and in spite of all common sense ("white women raped" in a town where there are explicitly no white women). All of that is handled relatively well and White makes his point clearly. The problem here is the "comedy" part of this comedy movie. You have some goofy slapstick that's pretty funny sprinkled in there and some things that I'm assuming are references to genre tropes as well as the holdover "black guy has impressive dick" jokes that were present (and occasionally inverted) in Black Dynamite. Then you have the Indian "jokes". There is a lot of time spent in this movie with Native Americans and to hear White tell it, he is sending up the original genre by casting obviously white people to be natives. The problem is that it's done constantly throughout the movie and there rarely seems to be an actual joke involved outside of the first occurrence. When there is a joke involving a native it's at the expense of a native, whether it be "this native woman looks like a man!" or "this simpleton tribe doesn't understand he doesn't want to be there!" Satire, clarity of purpose, etc. I was also disappointed that the film production jokes from Black Dynamite (ie the boom mic interrupting the shot, the militant that reads stage directions out loud) are almost entirely absent. Overall the movie had me laughing quite a few times but the stretches of weak comedy and slower, more serious plot moments were enough to take me out of the action. I would probably like this movie a lot more if I didn't go in with the Black Dynamite comparisons in my head because I think this movie is better served if you don't go in expecting a laugh riot comedy.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

5/5 fantastic

First movie in the post-Spiderverse animation world that holds a candle to it, and in some ways improves on some of the visual and storytelling trends SV pioneered. It looks incredible, it has real heart, it treats the young characters as fully fleshed out people (mutants), and is still a tight easy to follow story for all ages and a lot of fun. It's dripping in style and fun. We accidentally saw it in 3D and it was actually great in that format too.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Paw Patrol Mighty Movie - C-

I know most people don't expect things from kids show film adaptations, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by the first paw patrol movie that came out about two years ago. This one had some potential to do fun and funny stuff but it was mostly kinda boring. They didn't take nearly as much advantage of the pups having super powers as they could've, and both the action and villain stuff were completely one note. They made a sorta big deal about some of the more famous voice actors, and most of them had one or two lines tops. The first one was decent, edging on good, with at least a decent surprise or two. This one, completely forgettable.

Thanks again to my six year old for dictating all of my movie going choices within the last few years. :shepface:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Creator - 2/5

Disappointing mess of a film with the bones of something interesting underneath. Pulled heavily from some greats like Akira and District 9, but floundered it all in a really sloppy script and wanna-be big action film instead of telling the interesting story. Some of the lines and deliveries were so awkward that it made me feel like they saved more money in shoot time than they did in equipment (it was filmed on 4k pro-sumer Sony cams, and generally looked really good). Wasted John David Washington too, which is a shame. Oh, and way too long, I was actually surprised that it was only 133 minutes because it felt like a full 3 hour movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Wasted John David Washington too

They didn't put his name in any of the trailers. Very weird situation.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They didn't put his name in any of the trailers. Very weird situation.

I saw this mentioned elsewhere, and that the marketing as a whole for this movie was really lackluster. Seems weird to spend that much on an original SciFi IP then not promote it heavily.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bram Stoker's Legend of the Mummy (1998)

Mind-numbingly dull dreck. It only went on for 90 minutes, but as the closing credits finally rolled -- after a whole load of gently caress-all had happened -- it felt more like 900 had passed. The only scene of note that I can recall was some dumb dream sequence with BABBY MUMMY springing to life out of the darkness and attacking someone, wereupon they were seemingly transformed into a Klingon.

No, really.

2/10

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Near Dark

What happens when you get a bunch of Aliens cast to become badass vampires? You get Near Dark. A roving vampire coven finds new blood and goes on a rampage. A great take on the genre. So much fun.

4/5

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Before Midnight, 5/5

“The first film is about what could be, the second is about what should have been. Before Midnight is about what it is” basically sums it up, good job Ethan Hawke. Maybe two of the best performances I've ever seen as far as just playing regular people, the fights felt completely real and the subtle face acting and reactions took me to the point I forgot I was watching people playing a role and felt like I was just a fly on the wall watching real people interact. Taking the fairy tale happy ending of Before Sunset and bringing it down to the soul crushing reality of what ramifications that has an on existing relationship with a kid in it hits so close to home for anyone from a divorced household. Thanks Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy, that was probably the best trilogy I'll ever watch.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

Thanks Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy, that was probably the best trilogy I'll ever watch.

yeah :gbsmith:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC

Found footage horror. I watched this last year and thought it was pretty good. I felt like I needed to rewatch it, and man, I think this went up from good to great. So many creepy moments, and I love the little details they throw at you throughout the entire movie. No real gore here, just pure dread. Thumbs up.

4/5

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Caller
Interesting thriller movie starring Malcolm McDowell that sets up an intriguing mystery about what exactly is going on. Lots of nice dialogue between characters. I recommend going in blind because there are some spoilers online.

8/10

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah even the back of the box has a spoiler for that one in the description. Knowing anything more than your review is a detriment.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hell House LLC II

Not nearly as good as the first. I'd probably even say this was kinda bad except it got me twice. It had parts that worked, while most of it didn't. There was also one actor who was just super awful.

Overall, just average.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Creep (2014)

Dude. :stare: What did I just watch. Found footage movie, again. This one definitely lives up to the title. It's a short movie, but packs a punch. Unnerving, and fascinating at the same time. Like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Don't confuse this with the 2008 movie of the same name.

4/5

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Philthy posted:

Creep (2014)

Dude. :stare: What did I just watch. Found footage movie, again. This one definitely lives up to the title. It's a short movie, but packs a punch. Unnerving, and fascinating at the same time. Like watching a car wreck in slow motion. Don't confuse this with the 2008 movie of the same name.

4/5

Watch the sequel!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

MacheteZombie posted:

Watch the sequel!

I was going to ask about that. I'll put it on my list!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Philthy posted:

Hell House LLC

Found footage horror. I watched this last year and thought it was pretty good. I felt like I needed to rewatch it, and man, I think this went up from good to great. So many creepy moments, and I love the little details they throw at you throughout the entire movie. No real gore here, just pure dread. Thumbs up.

4/5
I watched this last night, I kinda enjoyed it and it deffo has creepy moments, but they raised the stakes too quickly imho so the constant need for escalation meant the scares got a bit stupid later on, and it sort of felt a bit like a satire. It's deffo worth watching though.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Phantasm 2

A black 1971 Plymouth Barracuda goes on the prowl through the wastelands for the Tall Man. Some of its passengers decide they'll help out, and do a pretty good job all things considered. I liked this one more than the first. Corny, but fun. Lots of good fight scenes.

3.5/5

quote:

I watched this last night, I kinda enjoyed it and it deffo has creepy moments, but they raised the stakes too quickly imho so the constant need for escalation meant the scares got a bit stupid later on, and it sort of felt a bit like a satire. It's deffo worth watching though.

See, I remember thinking it was just kinda average/good when I saw it last year. I liked it enough, but didn't think it was great. Rewatching it this year I enjoyed it quite a bit more for whatever reason. I'm still binging horror non-stop, so maybe I was just more in the mood for it this time around.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 13, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Revenge (2018)

So, it's in the name. There are just gallons of blood. Lots of close ups of wounds. More blood. More wounds. Butts. More blood.

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Creep 2

Great follow-up! I was kind of worried about where they could go with this, and it all worked. It kept me guessing and glued to the screen the entire time.

4/5

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

All my October viewing...

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973) - 3/5 [rewatch - Alamo Drafthouse double feature]
Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) - 2/5 [Alamo Drafthouse double feature]
Tales of Terror (1962) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Twice-Told Tales (1963) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
Mean Girls (2004) - 5/5 [rewatch - Alamo Drafthouse movie party]
Theatre of Blood (1973) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Haunted Palace (1963) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Madhouse (1974) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]
The Oblong Box (1969) - 2/5 [Blu-ray]
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988) - 1.5/5 [Blu-ray]
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989) - 2/5 [Blu-ray]
The Masque of the Red Death (1964) - 4.5/5 [Blu-ray - new uncut restoration]
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993) - 0.5/5 [Blu-ray - unrated cut]
Jason X (2001) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
Dementia 13 (1963) - 3/5 [Blu-ray director's cut]
Chandu the Magician (1932) - 2/5 [Blu-ray]
Born of Fire (1987) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Premature Burial (1962) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]
The Werewolf of Washington (1973) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
Dead Heat (1988) - 4/5 [UHD]
Witchfinder General (1968) - 4/5 [Blu-ray]
Event Horizon (1997) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
WNUF Halloween Special (1987) - 3/5 [3rd Generation VHS I found behind a 7/11]
The Night Stalker (1972) - 4/5 [Blu-ray]
The Night Strangler (1973) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Exorcist (1973) - 4.5/5 [UHD theatrical cut with mono sound]
Exorcist II: The Heretic (1977) - 2/5 [Blu-ray theatrical cut]
The Exorcist III (1990) - 4/5 [UHD theatrical cut]
Queen of Blood (1966) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
The Phantom of the Convent (1934) - 3/5 [Blu-ray]
La llorona (1933) - 3.5/5 [Blu-ray]

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Philthy posted:

Near Dark
I think this was the first use of coooool backlit bulletholes. I was gonna write “I wish Kathryn Bigelow directed more movies” then I hit Wikipedia and was reminded that she directed Hurt Locker and Zero Dark Thirty, so uh…..

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Medium

Thailand/South Korean found footage/documentary horror film. This was creepy as hell, with some pretty amazing scenes. Spirits and gods inhabit shamans, and a film crew is trying to document it. poo poo goes sideways, and it's all on film!

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Witch

I tried watching this last year and I didn't make it too far because it was just unnerving. I'm glad I gave it a second chance, as I completely enjoyed this. The time period and subject hit the spot.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Calibre

This movie left me confused. A series of bad decisions leads to chaos and regret. It's very depressing. Nothing is wrong with it, the acting is fine, the cinematography is fine, everything's just... fine. It was ok?

3/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Fermat's Room

A good take on the escape room genre. A group of mathematicians are invited to a gathering to solve a problem. You won't believe what happens next.

3.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

When Evil Lurks

Wow. This was a trip. I wasn't sure what to expect. It lets you in and makes you wonder what type of horror movie this is. I don't want to give it away, because I feel like it was made for someone to go in blind. Great story.

4/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

You're the greatest pervert of all.

Ichi the Killer

This movie was cool as poo poo. I love Yakuza mob stuff, and you add in a bunch of psychotic insanity with some amazing style and music and it's a great flick. I'd probably rate this a 5 if it didn't have all the weird rapey stuff.

4.5/5

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Something in the Dirt

This was off to a good start. A couple of guys experience some weirdness, and they go full internet "i did my own research" trying to explain it. It's amusing at times; they work off each other really well. By the halfway point, it's worn off. I got tired of the endless theories. Bummer.

2.5/5

Philthy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 23, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Thanksgiving

ChatGPT> Write a script in the vein of I Know What You Did Last Summer, but worse.

I am only giving this half a point because they used my favorite Misfits song during the ending credits. This movie was so lazy.

0.5/5

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SCREAM VI

Uhhhhh this is definitely the "Jason Takes Manhattan" of the series (though absolutely nowhere near as dogshit awful as that), and not just because it too takes place in NYC. Ghostface doesn't get sprayed with water and turn into a sewer-babby however.

6(ha)/10. The ending was just... what.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Train to Busan

Holy crap. The first 2/3 of this movie was like watching the first 5 minutes of Dawn of the Dead remake. It was loving intense and didn't let up. Great group of characters, and the special effects were great.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Changeling (1980)

Spooky haunted house whodunit. Pretty unique story. I dug it. I was wondering where all the smokers were right as the main character lit a cigarette.

3.5/5