Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Are those traits set or randomized? I thought the preset characters were randomized apart from the skill offsets and job restrictions from the background, this version of the pawn may just have those high skills due to being rolled as a genie. Incapable of violence is a horrible job restriction to have from your background, so without being a genie this guy would just suck.
Randomized yeah, basically the premade have the static name and background but the skills and traits (and xenotype with Biotech) are randomized like usual. Granted the backer traits tend to have unusual or excessive skill bonuses and he spawned as a Genie here so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A slave ship passed by and one of the slaves was the fiance of a colonist. I bought him and stuck him in jail for the usual Convert/Recruit process (arrived as a slave) and within like five minutes, his fiance came over and broke up with him :geno: At least he's got 9 planting skill

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Danaru posted:

A slave ship passed by and one of the slaves was the fiance of a colonist. I bought him and stuck him in jail for the usual Convert/Recruit process (arrived as a slave) and within like five minutes, his fiance came over and broke up with him :geno:
It's rough when intergalactic law prevents you from breaking up with someone unless it's in person.

Always feel a little bit sorry for starting pawns with partners they'll probably never see again, although they usually solve the problem themselves by cheating eventually.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

A slave ship passed by and one of the slaves was the fiance of a colonist. I bought him and stuck him in jail for the usual Convert/Recruit process (arrived as a slave) and within like five minutes, his fiance came over and broke up with him :geno: At least he's got 9 planting skill

:lmao:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Moon Slayer posted:

I know Tynan put himself in as a pawn but he at least went out of the way to make himself lame as a joke.

Uhh ...

What are the stats on 'Mod Designer'?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Moon Slayer posted:

I know Tynan put himself in as a pawn but he at least went out of the way to make himself lame as a joke.

Uhh ...

The Misogynist trait may just be there to make it more difficult to get him in a relationship rather than admitting that he is an actual misogynist. I wouldn't read much into this.

Incapable of Social just makes it so they can't do social tasks, like trading, wardening and child care, but they will still interact with other pawns and build relationships.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think they were more talking about the highest intellectual, but I think that's just because he's a genie. Of course then the issue is 'why is he a genie'.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Hellioning posted:

I think they were more talking about the highest intellectual, but I think that's just because he's a genie. Of course then the issue is 'why is he a genie'.

random generation

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
IIRC pre-gen pawns only get fixed backstories and everything else is random?
Also that's not Tynan? Thats the dude that does the (kinda non-vanilla now) Vanilla Expanded?

lurksion fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 16, 2023

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

hopeandjoy posted:

Solution: get the mod that turns off the preset names and backgrounds.

link please (or at least the name)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I want to say backer reward characters are an option in game that you can turn on or off. I know I haven't seen Emmy for years

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lysidas posted:

link please (or at least the name)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2159633754
"This mod outright prevents any predefined 'backer pawn' or 'name in game' name from being generated (unless they are added to the 'Preferred Player-Created Characters' list in the Rimworld options menu)."

not sure if this does 100% of what you want but it certainly makes them less obvious

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Oh yeah, I saw that a long time ago but didn't see the need for it at the time, and forgot the name/description when searching recently.

It was neat the first time I saw Yuu 'Hakuja' Ito roll as a random pawn in scenario setup, and progressively less interesting each subsequent time I see that pawn in random encounters, so I'm looking forward to installing that mod for future colonies.

Thanks!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

there is a different mod that blocks specific backstories iirc so you can block the godawful "gangraped since she was a baby" emie one
e: it was this, and it looks like it hasn't been maintained in a long time
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1539310979

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 16, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The what?

Actually I don't want to know. I loving hate video games sometimes

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Finally someone worse than War Boar from Battletech.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This topic comes up in the thread from time to time, but yeah don't look at/think too hard about Emmie's background
e: Lu is another one

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 16, 2023

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jokes posted:

The what?

Actually I don't want to know. I loving hate video games sometimes

You roll the dice every time you play an indie game imo

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
My self-insert pawn would have the gay and chemical interest traits and their backstory would be "poster on a dying comedy forum"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Traits: chemical interest
chemical interest
chemical interest

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Anyone have a mod that lets me connect Rimfeller chemfuel pipes to Vehicles Expanded fuel pumps? It's not a huge deal I just like everything being connected

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

haha I broke your stupid poo poo, dweeb *zooms away at seven km/h*

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Danaru posted:

haha I broke your stupid poo poo, dweeb *zooms away at seven km/h*

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:pusheen:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The "moving your child to a cooler location" mechanic when there are no cooler locations is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a video game

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Seriously rooting for the violent death of all my pawns in this runthrough.

Dude has 1-priority mining and 1-priority construction and I have tasks assigned to both and he's 3-priority hauling poo poo to the stockpile zone. World is crumbling around us, everything is critical, no time. Defying orders to do the dumbest poo poo imaginable and play hoop stone for 16 hours a day.

Also LOL at running out of both steel and components in tandem with the exact moments I unlock air conditioning and a horrific heat wave hits.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

How do I cancel a party, they don't deserve it

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Jelly posted:

How do I cancel a party, they don't deserve it

For future reference, just draft the dipshits.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If a pawn is ignoring priority 1 stuff to do priority 3 stuff instead, I would check to make sure you don't have him accidentally zoned away from the work sites. Or if you're using mods, double check that you don't have something interfering (I can think of While You're Up and While You're Nearby both being applicable here, if I'm remembering the names right).

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

isndl posted:

If a pawn is ignoring priority 1 stuff to do priority 3 stuff instead, I would check to make sure you don't have him accidentally zoned away from the work sites. Or if you're using mods, double check that you don't have something interfering (I can think of While You're Up and While You're Nearby both being applicable here, if I'm remembering the names right).
Always surprises me how quick y'all are, I figured out I'd zoned him in during an attack and forgot about it.

StealthArcher posted:

For future reference, just draft the dipshits.
Excellent

After I posted I had some guy cleaning and he had a blood stain in the pen from a slaughter and one in my entry maze from an attack that were kind of close together spatially, but on the other side of a wall and a good 1 hour walk and rear end in a top hat would take one swab with his mop, walk an hour to the other side, take one swab, walk an hour to the other side...

I hate these people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jelly posted:

The "moving your child to a cooler location" mechanic when there are no cooler locations is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in a video game
Pawns keep moving my babies to the goddamned freezer.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

They stay good for a lot longer in there!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The other parents asked them to take the baby to chill, what are they supposed to do?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Ice ice baby

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just had a colonist "go for a beer" with another colonist. in typical dogshit Vanilla Expanded fashion, it looks like if there's no beer available they'll just grab something else, down it, and keep on looking, so i had two colonists drink about enough psychite tea to go to 50% tolerance within a very short timeframe

one of them was eight years old and had a colossal overdose, and is now bedbound with brain damage and withdrawal, giving everyone in the colony a "sad youngsters" mood debuff.

e: a "group social fight" (another vanilla expanded social event) has broken out between someone on the edge of the map, and the bedridden imprisoned eight-year old five screens away

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 18, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I had a social fight yesterday between the only colonist I liked (Carla) and some other dude. Just a fist fight, and Carla had high melee. Like 3 blows exchanged and Carla drops to the ground straight-up dead. Never seen anything like it.

So I check the other guys mood to see if he had any remorse and he actually had a bonus from killing his rival with some text like "I'm glad he's dead". Like wow, dude, okay.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vanilla Expanded Social Interactions or whatever it's called is dumb as poo poo and has no real upside to use in terms of either gameplay or story and just uninstall the drat thing. Vanilla Memes Expanded:Schisms is pretty much equally horrible and both are good examples of not needing to use all their mods even if you enjoy the collection overall.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

trait gain on events is absolutely insanely dumb. whoops, got flu, now i'm gay

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

trait gain on events is absolutely insanely dumb. whoops, got flu, now i'm gay

frog flu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

How do people handle their animals breeding like crazy when they don't want them to?

For pen animals I just butcher them on a tight schedule but I have a terrier army that was getting out of control so I just decided to sterilize all of them. Are there any down sides to that?