Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Reality producers also select for the most BPD personalities they can find, to guarantee Drama

Yeah it's likely the prime reason Andrew tate was on big brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Who ever heard of evil Canadians?

"Now introducing our new Bachelor, give it up for Paul Bernardo!"

I want you to know I laughed really hard at this because I imagined he'd do his God awful rapping and that's a lol.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One of the most frustrating things about reality tv is how it took over what were supposed to be educational channels. We didn’t have cable when I was growing up. So I was extremely happy whenever PBS had a history of science show on. But I wanted cable channels that showed that kind of thing all the time. 2007 comes along and my parents finally decide to get cable. It wasn’t bad at that point but it was certainly headed there. Discovery still had good stuff but they were also showing way too much Deadliest Catch. Go forward about 5 years from that and Discovery and History is wall to wall garbage all day long. You’d be hard pressed to find something in any given week that was actually worth watching.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the most frustrating things about reality tv is how it took over what were supposed to be educational channels. We didn’t have cable when I was growing up. So I was extremely happy whenever PBS had a history of science show on. But I wanted cable channels that showed that kind of thing all the time. 2007 comes along and my parents finally decide to get cable. It wasn’t bad at that point but it was certainly headed there. Discovery still had good stuff but they were also showing way too much Deadliest Catch. Go forward about 5 years from that and Discovery and History is wall to wall garbage all day long. You’d be hard pressed to find something in any given week that was actually worth watching.

What happened to The Learning Channel was especially infuriating. I used to love that channel as a kid, and now its just absolutely worthless garbage.

History Channel was always kind of bad though. Even before the reality/ancient aliens stuff it was just the 24/7 World War II channel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

IShallRiseAgain posted:

History Channel was always kind of bad though. Even before the reality/ancient aliens stuff it was just the 24/7 World War II channel.

The WWII stuff was great white noise material for napping though. They used to have an amazing lineup for napping to, stuff like Modern Marvels, but the reality shows have no napping value.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Advertising as a revenue model is the enemy of anything good. That’s why cable TV is a nightmare, even though it shouldn’t be with the level of carrier fees that are paid out. Or maybe it’s just capitalism.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Remulak posted:

Advertising as a revenue model is the enemy of anything good. That’s why cable TV is a nightmare, even though it shouldn’t be with the level of carrier fees that are paid out. Or maybe it’s just capitalism.

I think the real issue is that there are a not insignificant number of people who actually like reality tv shows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reality TV is incredibly cheap to produce and yes, people watch that stuff religiously

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not all reality tv is created equal, I see it as maybe three levels.

First Level: situations and interactions aren't necessarily scripted but the producers just take all the tape and stitch it together in such a way that they can craft a contrived narrative out of it. The early seasons of Deadliest Catch felt like this, they really didn't script anything specifically they just put it all together after the fact in the editing room in creative ways.

Second Level: situations are artificial and set up in advance, but the actual person to person dialogue and interactions aren't. A lot of the celebrity based shows are like this where the writers will set up stuff for them to do but then the actual words they say in how they react to the situations isn't always scripted.

Third Level: literally everything is scripted in advance from the situations to every word people say, it's all 100% scripted in advance. This is the worst of the worst, stuff like Parking Wars and Storage Wars. You're basically watching a 100% scripted show but with the worst actors known to man.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like even the wall to wall WW2 was itself a slide, there was at least SOME other history stuff on there and you could feel the dip in quality when it was one Hitler or nazi documentary after another.

Any time I dip my toe into Cable tv these days I'm bewildered and alarmed that anyone would be molded, young or old, by what's on there.

It's not nostalgia, it really was better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Casimir Radon posted:

:lol: yet another thing we can blame on Zaslov

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Not all reality tv is created equal, I see it as maybe three levels.

First Level: situations and interactions aren't necessarily scripted but the producers just take all the tape and stitch it together in such a way that they can craft a contrived narrative out of it. The early seasons of Deadliest Catch felt like this, they really didn't script anything specifically they just put it all together after the fact in the editing room in creative ways.

Second Level: situations are artificial and set up in advance, but the actual person to person dialogue and interactions aren't. A lot of the celebrity based shows are like this where the writers will set up stuff for them to do but then the actual words they say in how they react to the situations isn't always scripted.

Third Level: literally everything is scripted in advance from the situations to every word people say, it's all 100% scripted in advance. This is the worst of the worst, stuff like Parking Wars and Storage Wars. You're basically watching a 100% scripted show but with the worst actors known to man.

The third level is what confuses me, sometimes. I understand the occasional desire to consume garbage, it can be fun. But there's so much of it. My dad started watching Duck Dynasty reruns (and thankfully stopped pretty quick) and it was driving my mom crazy for all those reasons. I remember when it was on somebody dug into an episode noting that people dismissed it as garbage because of the cultural stuff, but the weirder thing was that if you actually watched it it was just a garbage rear end sitcom with untrained actors. Any random CBS show/TV Land rerun/any other channel rerun would be better and cover the same type of ground, and yet it blows up.

I liked Storage Wars in the early days, back when a lot of goons were watching it, but it didn't take long to just go full scripted and be obvious about it which kills the whole point. There are no stakes or drama when I pretty much know what's going to happen. Also a lot of time the scripting sucks too. Show me people losing their rear end on units, it's funny. The 200th time they find an antique pool ball cleaner in the back of a unit full of clothes isn't fun anymore.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Basebf555 posted:

So I know one of the main guys from Parking Wars and while they would sometimes do obviously scripted things most of the normal on-the-street interactions were largely unscripted. The show was originally developed from a documentary special that was just PPA ridealongs and that was amazing and 100% unscripted.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Everyone describes 90 Day Fiancé as "I can't look away" or "I wanna see what terrible people they are", no respectable thing can compete with such purestrain trash.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah nobody wanted it including Peter Jackson but some boneheaded exec insisted on it, or at least that is the story

This sums up the entire Hobbit trilogy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What happened to The Learning Channel was especially infuriating. I used to love that channel as a kid, and now its just absolutely worthless garbage.

Take one guess which current entertainment CEO was in charge of that

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah nobody wanted it including Peter Jackson but some boneheaded exec insisted on it, or at least that is the story

Yeah, the studio initially announced The Hobbit and "a sequel", which at the time was an original movie to bridge Guillermo Del Tor's version of The Hobbit with Jackson's LOTR trilogy. Then over the course of development the bridge movie idea was tossed away, and the decision was made to split The Hobbit across both movies... then they added a third.

Kind of funny that the "introduce the Dwarves one at a time" trick was used in the story and in real life.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has anyone actually watched all three Hobbit movies? If so, why?

I was shanghaied into seeing the third one despite having absolutely no desire to after seeing the absolute cinematic trainwreck that was the second one.

Basically had a choice between watching it or waiting out in the theater lobby until it was over, and I genuinely wish that I had chosen the latter because that was one of the most miserable movie-going experiences I've ever had.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I watched the second Hobbit movie and felt like I was being punched in the face, and I own two Polonia Bros movies on Blu-ray

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I liked the part when they made a dwarf statue out of liquid gold and it covers smaug in liquid gold but then he just flies out of it and then the movie ends

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Someone really, really, really wanted another LOTR trilogy and wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. That's the only explanation that makes any sense at all to me for how those Hobbit movies turned out the way they did.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Feldegast42 posted:

I liked the part when they made a dwarf statue out of liquid gold and it covers smaug in liquid gold but then he just flies out of it and then the movie ends

Ah the Velveeta explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9nD5sBojhA&t=80s

I'll never understand why would you have your climax revolve around melted gold if it looks this bad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tbf the book Smaug has him go “you loving dwarves I’m so mad I’m gonna leave and burn down lake town and the movie kinda extrapolates the whole dwarves claiming victory from the whole “no actually it is you who got owned” from it all. That the dwarves are far less heroic is lost in the movie of course

Also YeH the gold looks bad

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Its just an incredibly stupid scene on top of the terrible CGI. Really the whole climax of that movie was extra dumb, although I understand that they wanted to have the dwarves somehow confront Smaug (in the book he only verbally spars with Bilbo and then takes off to toast Laketown).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The WWII stuff was great white noise material for napping though. They used to have an amazing lineup for napping to, stuff like Modern Marvels, but the reality shows have no napping value.

Even then they have some shows which seemingly glorified Nazis. Like the ones just uncritically saying how they have some of the best war technology ever (despite most of it never getting made and those that did failed). Or a documentary about Hitler possibly surviving WW2 where the American 'researchers' seemed a bit too excited about finding Hitler still alive.

Then lets not forget the stupid 2012 apocalypse documentaries. The hilarious thing is they never reran or rerelease them, because after 2012 they're just embarrassing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I take it back, drowning your enemy in molten dwarf statue gold is a power Dwarf Fortress move

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2023

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Feldegast42 posted:

I've only seen the first Hobbit film, so let me get this straight:

* To defeat the dragon, the Dwarves make a big statue
* But it's actually a big gold statue
* Which somehow melts?
* Drowning the dragon in molten gold
* Which it just flies out of

What?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Saying "It's just a prank, bro! It's just a prank!" as Smaug incinerates them all in draconic fire. That's what happens next right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

nonathlon posted:

I've only seen the first Hobbit film, so let me get this straight:

* To defeat the dragon, the Dwarves make a big statue
* But it's actually a big gold statue
* Which somehow melts?
* Drowning the dragon in molten gold
* Which it just flies out of

What?

He shakes it off like a wet dog but is like really traumatized by it

Again in the book he just gets mad and goes “I’m gonna burn that loving town down like I should have already!” And fucks off to just that

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Has anyone actually watched all three Hobbit movies? If so, why?
It was something to do, and by the third one, morbid curiosity.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I have.

I wish I hadn’t.

It is truly incredible that they were able to turn one book into nearly 8 hours worth of films.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
From the sound of it they really burnt Peter Jackson out on it with the demands to make it another trilogy, resulting in a LOT of half-hearted filler.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’ll tell you whose not lighting green

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1725201693799805256?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He's launching a range of edibles or something?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From the sound of it they really burnt Peter Jackson out on it with the demands to make it another trilogy, resulting in a LOT of half-hearted filler.

I think it's telling that the guy has not made a feature film since. Yes I know he was involved with Mortal Engines and he's had major documentary projects. But he just seems to have no interest in making a feature after that, despite initially being quite interested in a post LOTR career with varied projects like King Kong and Lovely Bones

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hope he makes a new splatter film just to get his eye in.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Smoke Weed, but not today

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I saw all three Hobbit movies. What in the gently caress. Battle of the Five Armies more like Batle of Five Hours for how blah and long that flick felt. WTF I just remembered the bear guy like drops out of the sky at one point and is never seen or mentioned again. Also some big worms appear and are never mentioned where the gently caress even were they, why was that filmed

I know Billy Connolly wasn't available to reshoot his entire role but how in the gently caress did they think dropping a 2010 WoW trailer level CG version of him in there was the way to go? Like was that really better than just putting a double in a wig like they clearly did for Christopher Lee any time we weren't seeing an extreme closeup?

What did they originally film with him that was so bad that what we got was meant to be better lmao

The worst thing about those three movies though is that each one has a minute or two or a couple of quick shots here or there that clearly did have some love put into them. Like they probably could have done three solid flicks if there wasn't such a concerted effort to just churn poo poo out. What an absolute waste of a lot of talented people's time.

The melting gold, I seriously could not believe what I was watching for that entire part where they're assembling it and the ensuing melting effects. And then because the dwarves never saw Alien 3 they're surprised when he just shakes it off instead if splashing cold water on him to make him explode.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
See if I'd done this a long time ago I never would've seen all three hobbit movies

God I forgot completely about that stupid loving statue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

this is the most obvious work i've ever seen in my life