Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i can tokenize the strings w/ optional parenthesis to override the default length and angles, with a little float parser to parse strings to floats. what a waste of time. but well, im at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok. heres museum maze. days 9/10

https://i.imgur.com/5MI824k.mp4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

ok. heres museum maze. days 9/10
nice, that carving effect and the texturing look great

Mines still a WIP, I'm actually getting quite frustrated with Blender this year - it's fuckin awesome, don't get me wrong, but there's so much basic stuff missing from geonodes that you end up having to build yourself again and again and again. Is there an easy way to share groups between projects?

Also this thread needs more entries

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

toiletbrush posted:

Is there an easy way to share groups between projects?

can't you mark them as assets?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Museum Maze

Its not a legit maze but I did get 'pointiness' shading working on the wood (even tho its practically invisible)

VVV thank you!

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 11, 2023

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

nice, that carving effect and the texturing look great

Mines still a WIP, I'm actually getting quite frustrated with Blender this year - it's fuckin awesome, don't get me wrong, but there's so much basic stuff missing from geonodes that you end up having to build yourself again and again and again. Is there an easy way to share groups between projects?

Also this thread needs more entries

check this out https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/addons/node/node_presets.html

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Arcade Adventure

Lovely Lake

It's not cheating if you use the built-in sky texture that come with Blender. :colbert:

Chaotic Cooking

Why didn't I think of fractals?

Museum Maze

Mountaineering Mission

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
hell yea, those are all awesome

Chaotic Cooking is my fave but they're all rad

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I cannot get my mind around blender at all. like I hosed up the doughnut tutorial

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

shitface posted:

I cannot get my mind around blender at all. like I hosed up the doughnut tutorial

thank you I feel so much better now. I was able to stumble around Fusion360 to make some little cases at one point but I get so lost reasoning about the relationships between scene elements…

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Museum Maze

Its not a legit maze but I did get 'pointiness' shading working on the wood (even tho its practically invisible)

VVV thank you!

looks pretty good to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Komojo posted:

Arcade Adventure

Lovely Lake

It's not cheating if you use the built-in sky texture that come with Blender. :colbert:

Chaotic Cooking

Why didn't I think of fractals?

Museum Maze

Mountaineering Mission

nice work! i really like the paintings that you did for the museum

also the sky texture is a node, its not cheating. i use it on almost every one lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shitface posted:

im gonna make a chaos donut tutorial for you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

use the asset browser! i have a folder named "assets" and i configured my asset browser to use that folder. now i just mark a node group as an asset and save the file in that folder and i can just drag them out from the browser and drop in

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Thanks Fart and Jenny, I can finally free myself from the tyranny of Position->Separate Components

I was gonna take a break for Mountain Mission but I had an idea and now it's fun as hell. My entry is going to feature multiple OSHA violations.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 11, 2023

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I'm trying to finish off my Mountain Mission but Blender seems to have ended up in an unusable state where zooming in and out and orbiting are insanely sensitive, making working on my last little asset pretty much impossible. I've got one object in the scene that is ~1km square, while the object I'm working on is a couple meters tall, is this what is screwing things up? This is really frustrating :(

Argh now thats magically fixed itself, but now when I render I get an empty image? Even though in the viewport camera view it renders fine...

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 12, 2023

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

The view rotation can sometimes get weird if the center of rotation isn't where you're trying to edit. If you select an object (or part of an object in edit mode) and press the "." key, it should center the view around your selection.

The empty rendering sounds like it could be a problem with the clipping distance. There is one setting for the viewport and then another separate setting in the camera properties.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

I'm trying to finish off my Mountain Mission but Blender seems to have ended up in an unusable state where zooming in and out and orbiting are insanely sensitive, making working on my last little asset pretty much impossible. I've got one object in the scene that is ~1km square, while the object I'm working on is a couple meters tall, is this what is screwing things up? This is really frustrating :(

Argh now thats magically fixed itself, but now when I render I get an empty image? Even though in the viewport camera view it renders fine...

i dont know op. sometimes when im doing weird intense nodeing, i have to restart blender or hide objects im not working on. viewport vs render could be related to camera clipping distance? make sure those are set

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mountaineering mission

ps: echi: im overusing my film emulation node

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 12, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

spent way too much time getting sidetracked on making a hydraulic erosion sim in geo nodes. basically nothing but some simple noise, erosion, and a "sharpen terrain" node i made that makes ridges and peaks pop

"sharpen terrain" is neat. i used a trick i learned while doing reaction diffusion to find the "edges" and crisp them up

with that node on:

and off:

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 12, 2023

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

spent way too much time getting sidetracked on making a hydraulic erosion sim in geo nodes. basically nothing but some simple noise, erosion, and a "sharpen terrain" node i made that makes ridges and peaks pop
Haha I did the same, also just went with some shaped noise. Was fun reading up about it though, lots of cool ideas I might use later.

quote:

"sharpen terrain" is neat. i used a trick i learned while doing reaction diffusion to find the "edges" and crisp them up
Yeah that really looks good

Mountain Mission

I've given up trying to figure out why my render is just the background image, restarting didn't help, so this is just from the viewport. There's some other weirdness going on with textures and other bits and bobs so gonna leave it here. I'm happy though, the only really niggling things are the 'ridge' is way too sharp, and all the effort put into the aerial walkways inside the base is kinda wasted cos you can't make anything out.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

mountaineering mission

ps: echi: im overusing my film emulation node

and yet profoundly appropriate. fuckkn sick dude

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

toiletbrush posted:

Haha I did the same, also just went with some shaped noise. Was fun reading up about it though, lots of cool ideas I might use later.

Mountain Mission

I've given up trying to figure out why my render is just the background image, restarting didn't help, so this is just from the viewport. There's some other weirdness going on with textures and other bits and bobs so gonna leave it here. I'm happy though, the only really niggling things are the 'ridge' is way too sharp, and all the effort put into the aerial walkways inside the base is kinda wasted cos you can't make anything out.

did you check your clipping settings?

select your scene camera, go to the data object properties and increase the clip end value if you're dealing with a huge scene, like a realistically sized mountain

e: oh yeah and pressing numpad 0 jumps into the scene camera view, so you can check what would be rendered

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Mountain Mission

lol i love it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i started out trying to make a t shirt for the weird wardrobe and now ive made 75% of a geometry nodes cloth sim :grin:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

i started out trying to make a t shirt for the weird wardrobe and now ive made 75% of a geometry nodes cloth sim :grin:

i was actually thinking about how hard it would be to make (enough of) a cloth sim that you could use it as jiggle bones.

1)geometry nodes
2) ???
3) parent bones to vertices
4) jiggle bones!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Weird Wardrobe isn't going great but I did realise that you can use extrude->scale iterations inside repeat-zones to create crazy fractals...

Nodes:

These seem to cause some sort of pathological case in Cycles though, some of these took *ages* to render even though there's never more than ~9 million faces.

I've also tried and failed to create 'portals' in Blender. I wondered if you could do something clever with light paths, but I'm not sure you can modify them directly. It would be fuckin rad if you could project incoming intersections on one surface onto outgoing intersections on another, then you could do crazy non-euclidean stuff like doorways that shrink/expand/flip space etc or flat space onto curved space.

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 13, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wheany posted:

i was actually thinking about how hard it would be to make (enough of) a cloth sim that you could use it as jiggle bones.

1)geometry nodes
2) ???
3) parent bones to vertices
4) jiggle bones!

i think it wouldn’t be too hard. my cloth sim right now is simple verlet integration with constant gravity as the only acceleration, then my constraint is to use the edge vertices node, compare the distance between points 1 and 2 and if it’s too far then i scale elements: edge with a scale amount of 0.95 or something. i do substeps on that constraint with repeat zone

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 14, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it looks ok too although without self collisions its kinda a mess
https://i.imgur.com/lVEsJQg.mp4

i added a janky rear end self collision constraint but i dont want to implement spatial indexing or something "real" so comparing every point to every other point sucks and is too slow i tried it. so i just compare points in the direction of velocity with raycast node which is super fast but it glitches out in the middle but if i freeze it on certain still images it looks good

https://i.imgur.com/MQFLDCB.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

Weird Wardrobe isn't going great but I did realise that you can use extrude->scale iterations inside repeat-zones to create crazy fractals...

Nodes:

These seem to cause some sort of pathological case in Cycles though, some of these took *ages* to render even though there's never more than ~9 million faces.

I've also tried and failed to create 'portals' in Blender. I wondered if you could do something clever with light paths, but I'm not sure you can modify them directly. It would be fuckin rad if you could project incoming intersections on one surface onto outgoing intersections on another, then you could do crazy non-euclidean stuff like doorways that shrink/expand/flip space etc or flat space onto curved space.

those look really cool actually. i suspect the "proper" way to use it would be to bake it down into texture maps and then apply the textures

as for curved space or portals, i thought about that before. for curved space you really have 2 options because you are right you cant manipulate light paths directly:

1. you can abuse refraction shaders. this is how i did my black hole last year. i created hundreds of nested spheres and changed their IOR value according to a formula based on distance from the center. you crank refractive light passes up to something absurd like 512. and you can get curved space but you get a kinda onioning effect if you look at glancing angles as one sphere goes into the next. i found a way to sorta smooth out that transition but i forgot how, it was something to do with the layer weight nodes

2. you implement your own new raytracer or raymarcher in a material lol. i did this too, with raymarching and SDFs. to hack up a quick raymarcher isnt that bad but to do it properly with colors and shading and materials youre basically reimplementing a signficiant percentage of cycles. and then you need to redefine your scene in shader nodes rather than using real geometry.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i guess theres this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA4zaZgsFao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fart you’re the christopher nolan of blender

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i gave up on cloth sim for now.

weird wardrobe:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ok i saw a few little glitches that were bugging me. fixed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

thanks for leaking one of my secret reference photos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that took way more nodes than i expected

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

YOSPOS > nodevember 2023 thread - that took way more nodes than i expected

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

When your donut tutorial involves animating an entire episode of The Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i gave up on cloth sim for now.

weird wardrobe:

that's uncannily close to the real thing