Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phanatic posted:

That it has anything to do with energy generation.

ICF is more about reducing demand than providing supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Groda posted:

Here's the non-clickbait non-sensationalistic non-hype story:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41566-023-01321-x

quote:

We propose a new method of compressing laser pulses to ultrahigh powers based on spatially varying dispersion of an inhomogeneous plasma. Here, compression is achieved when a long, negatively frequency-chirped laser pulse reflects off the density ramp of an over-dense plasma slab. As the density increases longitudinally, high-frequency photons at the leading part of the laser pulse penetrate more deeply into the plasma region than lower-frequency photons, resulting in pulse compression in a similar way to that by a chirped mirror. Proof-of-principle simulations performed using particle-in-cell simulation codes predict compression of a 2.35 ps laser pulse to 10.3 fs—a ratio of 225.

Edit: wait. TheMuffinMan, are you confused about power vs. energy? Are you under the impression that increasing the power of a laser beam means you're producing more energy?

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 16, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Groda posted:

heh

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Like most things, its fringe until they have test data to back it up.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

That it has anything to do with energy generation.

plasma

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blancmange.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Still doesn't have anything to do with energy generation, this is more a new way to spend energy. And get lasers as a result. Probably a more efficient way to create powerful laser pulses but still no generation.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Saukkis posted:

Still doesn't have anything to do with energy generation, this is more a new way to spend energy. And get lasers as a result. Probably a more efficient way to create powerful laser pulses but still no generation.

if it's a more efficient way to create laser pulses then you can make nuclear fusion happen for less?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TheMuffinMan posted:

if it's a more efficient way to create laser pulses then you can make nuclear fusion happen for less?

Perhaps increasing the chances of having laser driven fusion being net energy positive?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

TheMuffinMan posted:

It's not a "more efficient way to create laser pulses." It is a way to increase the power of laser pulses.

Power is energy per time. If you have 1 megajoule in a 225-picosecond laser pulse, and you pulse-compress it to be a 1-picosecond laser pulse, you have increased the *power* of that pulse by a factor of 225, but it is still a 1 megajoule laser post.

VideoGameVet posted:

Perhaps increasing the chances of having laser driven fusion being net energy positive?

No.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

TheMuffinMan posted:

Maybe, if the lasers produced by this method can be used with fusion. At least the researchers didn't address this possibility. Could be that this method is difficult to produce lasers with enough energy. The Nature article talks in the scale of 100 joules, the NIF experiment used lasers with 4 billion joules.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

TheMuffinMan posted:

this new technique can be explored with plasma and other things

Patiently waiting for: "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range", for.... reasons. :psylon:

edit: Is there anything going on with power from wave generation theses days, i remember an installation off the coast of Scotland getting shut down a few years ago.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 16, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Patiently waiting for: "phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range", for.... reasons. :psylon:

edit: Is there anything going on with power from wave generation theses days, i remember an installation off the coast of Scotland getting shut down a few years ago.

As someone who has owed a sailing sloop ... I suspect the issue is the ocean really loves to destroy hardware. For example "Stainless Steel" isn't.

BUT it should be possible to create something that works and can hold up for a decade or two.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VideoGameVet posted:

As someone who has owed a sailing sloop ... I suspect the issue is the ocean really loves to destroy hardware. For example "Stainless Steel" isn't.

BUT it should be possible to create something that works and can hold up for a decade or two.

They should try building it from something indestructible, such as rubber ducks, sneakers or Garfield phones.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

TheMuffinMan posted:

The power of a laser pulse is nothing to do with efficiency, it's about taking the total laser energy and squeezing it into a narrower and narrower time band. The efficiency of an Inertial Confinement Fusion process is still tiny (40% thermal to electricity efficiency * 10% laser efficiency * 5% laser radiation to pellet = 0.2% total efficiency) and shorter laser pulses aren't going to change that.

The major obstacle to ICF is in the repitition rate. The only ICF research facility to achieve breakeven fusion (not really breakeven for the efficiency reasons above) can manage about one laser pulse per day, whereas a viable inertial fusion power plant is going to need approximately 10 pulses per second.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

breadshaped posted:

The power of a laser pulse is nothing to do with efficiency, it's about taking the total laser energy and squeezing it into a narrower and narrower time band. The efficiency of an Inertial Confinement Fusion process is still tiny (40% thermal to electricity efficiency * 10% laser efficiency * 5% laser radiation to pellet = 0.2% total efficiency) and shorter laser pulses aren't going to change that.

The major obstacle to ICF is in the repitition rate. The only ICF research facility to achieve breakeven fusion (not really breakeven for the efficiency reasons above) can manage about one laser pulse per day, whereas a viable inertial fusion power plant is going to need approximately 10 pulses per second.

I would simply build 864000 plants next to each other

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

breadshaped posted:

An ability to convert low power longer pulses into higher power short pulses might help with the repetition issue.

(It’s still not gonna fix ICF’s problems, but it’d be a step towards it I guess.)

There might also be some benefit to shortening the pulse even at the same total energy since you’d presumably compress it faster and not have to fight the disassembly as much? But that’s me making a wildass guess, nothing solid backing it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Seems to me that now we simply need to invent an energy generation process requiring more powerful laser pulses and then we'll have a new way to generate power.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Olkiluoto 3 had a malfunction on Sunday and it will be back in production at midday on Tuesday. Few hours later at 16 the electricity prices will have a possibly record breaking peak 96.4 c/kWh. You might think that is a weird order of events and that is because the electricity markets didn't trust that it would be back online that soon. And they were right, at late evening on Monday updated schedule was released that delayed the start of production until 18 on Tuesday.

At the same time one of the EV charger chains has "black week" going and they are selling at half price. It's a weird idea that it would almost make sense to use an EV to go buy electricity for home use.

I have been thinking about electricity markets and how the higher cost producers have a perverse pricing motivation. They know they can't compete on price with wind power. There are no days when wind power production is expensive, just variation on quantity. When ever wind is plentiful they know they won't be able to sell a watt. So they should only offer electricity at high prices and wait for the days when there isn't enough wind.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 21, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would rather have stable power at say 4-5 cents as has been the norm in the decade prior, rather than the up and down prices of today. IMO 1000MW of stable production is worth 10 times the amount of unreliable production. The prices on the market are also set by the cost of the most expensive energy source that is required to meet demand, so there's plenty of scenarios where everyone gets a good margin on their power. I think the electricity market could use a rethink and I believe Yanis Varoufakis had some ideas on that, power producers would get the price it costs + margin for some profit but I don't remember how that would transform into a single market price.

I've not yet moved to spot pricing but been testing my heat pump, having it run extra hard during 23:00 - 06:00 and then backing off equally much for the rest of the day. I have floor heating so I am using the floor which is a well insulated concrete slab as my energy store. Some extreme inertia in this thing, had stable indoor temp of 20 until last night and the real cold temps, was 18 degrees when we went to bed last night, now it has started moving back up but it's slow. Will be interesting to see but it looks like I can move the majority of my heating into the night without any particularly large issues. And I can supplement with wood.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I am on spot pricing and my heatpump talks to the api. It is basically doing what you're doing manually, heating the house up to a comfort threshold beyond the setpoint when electricity is cheap so it can coast through the more expensive periods. This Sunday the perverse incentives in spot pricing meant it paid me to make 250L of hot water at 47C and barely cycled during the day for heating. The notch between 4pm and 7pm is a Dehumidifier I have in the basement which is timed to avoid peak:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My heat pump (Nibe F1245 ground loop pump) isn't advanced enough to have those functions by default. If I wanted to I could go the mile and make a raspberry pi setup though, there's this software called NibePi that you can install and then hook up to the pump for some modern interfacing.

Haven't looked that closely at it but it could be good so it could take advantage even if power gets cheap in the daytime. But just setting the schedule seems to be working so far.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah same here. My pumps are Daikin Perfera and by default they only offer timer based scheduling. Some third party manager would be needed.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

StarkingBarfish posted:

I am on spot pricing and my heatpump talks to the api. It is basically doing what you're doing manually, heating the house up to a comfort threshold beyond the setpoint when electricity is cheap so it can coast through the more expensive periods. This Sunday the perverse incentives in spot pricing meant it paid me to make 250L of hot water at 47C and barely cycled during the day for heating. The notch between 4pm and 7pm is a Dehumidifier I have in the basement which is timed to avoid peak:

Does it react to pricing as it is set or is there some sort of pricing forecast it can plan after?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol really grateful my rates are just permanently set and i don’t need to worry day to day that it might change

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If I had had spot pricing for the last few months I would have saved hundreds of euros. Changing over in winter is not the best time but night time prices have been typically lower than my fixed price.

But sure right now with a spot price of... 60 cents and the next hour rising to 94 cents, I feel good I didn't swap over just yet.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Seems like Finns survived the Electpocalypse.

Tomorrow wind picks up and the reactor is online. Announced prices are under 3 cents after midday.

Personally I'm using variable rates and previous 2 months averages have been bit over 3 cents/kwh. This month is around 7 c/kwh so far.
But I'm not using electricity for heating and I do have electric car, so my electricity needs are very elastic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Biggest mistake I ever did was not build a separate boiler room with room for an acculumator tank and wood boiler. Too reliant on electricity.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I had had spot pricing for the last few months I would have saved hundreds of euros. Changing over in winter is not the best time but night time prices have been typically lower than my fixed price.

But sure right now with a spot price of... 60 cents and the next hour rising to 94 cents, I feel good I didn't swap over just yet.

yeah we get to pick whether we get time of use pricing or a flat tariff but there is no change due to market forces and none without much fanfare; rates are set by a provincial energy authority here so our overnight/weekend/holiday rate is only 8.7 cents/kwh. still have high bills but that’s in part my so’s aquarium and part that water and sewage are in the same bill

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Owling Howl posted:

Does it react to pricing as it is set or is there some sort of pricing forecast it can plan after?

The next 24h midnight-midnight is published at 4pm daily, so the system can only really work to a 24h window but unless you're trying top plan when it's best to heat your hot water tank for a few days or gamble on leaving the laundry for tomorrow night this isn't such a big deal.

Winter is indeed a tougher time to be on spot pricing - Sunday was the first time in a few weeks that prices dipped negative, but I'm still paying about half of what I would be on a fixed rate tariff

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.energy-storage.news/northvolt-and-altris-develop-breakthrough-160-wh-kg-sodium-ion-battery-for-energy-storage/

“Gigafactory company Northvolt and sodium-ion battery technology firm Altris have together revealed a [sodium-ion] battery with an energy density of 160 Wh/kg, designed for energy storage systems.“

“For comparison, lithium-ion technology generally has a Wh/kg energy density of between 120 and 260, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA) in its Global EV Outlook 2023.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 56 minutes!
CATL is just starting mass producing a sodium ion at that density this quarter.

It’s not a breakthrough if the Chinese are rolling it out at scale right now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

CATL is just starting mass producing a sodium ion at that density this quarter.

It’s not a breakthrough if the Chinese are rolling it out at scale right now.

yeah but this one is made by white people so its better

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

mediaphage posted:

yeah but this one is made by white people so its better

Whiter power supporter, mods??

I'm not up to date on battery tech, these sodium batteries were always touted as being very cost effective compared to lithium and easily scalable, is that correct? Anyone itt have a brief summary available on current state battery technology regarding costs, flexibility, life time load cycles etc. ? We're reaching a point where battery systems are approaching rentability for grid scale applications and it's a fascinating point in time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The main draw of Sodium-Ion is it doesn't need any rare metals. Apart from the obvious geopolitical advantage, it should also mean they'll be vastly cheaper once they're mass produced.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Olkiluoto 3 had a malfunction on Sunday and it will be back in production at midday on Tuesday. Few hours later at 16 the electricity prices will have a possibly record breaking peak 96.4 c/kWh. You might think that is a weird order of events and that is because the electricity markets didn't trust that it would be back online that soon. And they were right, at late evening on Monday updated schedule was released that delayed the start of production until 18 on Tuesday.

Well, the prices sure are volatile. On Friday between 15 and 24 electricity will cost -50c/kWh. Because a Norwegian Kinect Energy send an erronous bid for the Finnish market. Supposedly Nordpool won't redo the bidding so the price will stay.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

gently caress yeah tomorrow will be a sauna night for sure. Thanks Kinect Energy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Saukkis posted:

Well, the prices sure are volatile. On Friday between 15 and 24 electricity will cost -50c/kWh. Because a Norwegian Kinect Energy send an erronous bid for the Finnish market. Supposedly Nordpool won't redo the bidding so the price will stay.

Hell yeah, time to boil off a couple hundred liters of water on the stove and make some bank. Kitchen will double as a sauna.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
have u guys heard of eric dollard

from what I know it’s funny his name has the word dollar in it considering what he stands for

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I bought one of his books

https://www.amazon.com/Common-Language-Electrical-Engineering-Writings/dp/1518815936