Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this is a dumb loving take lol

given the choice between putting my life in the hands of a scientist vs a run-of-the-mill politician, i'll pick the scientist every time

The scientist has no incentive to keep me around. The politician wants my vote next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

The politician wants my vote next year
lol

lmao

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fucken nuscale appears to have taken the subsidy and run

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dokapon Findom posted:

The scientist has no incentive to keep me around. The politician wants my vote next year

is this why something like 80-90% of our politicians actively want us dead

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

wow how strange and unexpected

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

wow how strange and unexpected

I look forward to the House totally holding panels to see what happened to the billion dollar subsidy, for all their crocodile tears shed bitterly over spending that lines their pockets

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

I vote for stochastocracy

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

or skynet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Rauros posted:

can we put scientists in charge of the world instead of economists. scientists are nowhere near perfect, but it would be orders of magnitude better than the current leadership.

have you heard of chinese political meritocracy

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

uhh can you stop doing a genocide?

so how about that climate change am i rite?!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the democraps do genocide and biosphere collapse like this
the republicans do genocide and biosphere collapse like this

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao the onion's youtube channel is fuckin BACK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkrcxLgHn-w

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i heard kangaroos are somehow methane free livestock. they make a good burger i had one once.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Excited to move up a few plant hardiness levels... looking forward to growing cactus and palm trees :fyadride:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I love climate models, you can always take the "business as usual" scenario, which is provided by the scientists as a "lol, this would be real bad wouldn't it? Good thing it isn't reasonable we'd do that" as the baseline and expect things to be actually worse.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Good news! The cum crisis is a glimmer of hope on the horizon

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/global-decline-sperm-concentrations-linked-common-pesticides-rcna125164

quote:

Global decline in male fertility linked to common pesticides

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Which ones? Gotta stock up

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

COVER

THE

EARTH

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

SixteenShells posted:

It worked out okay in Centralia.

quote:

it's estimated that underground coal fires generate as much as 3% of the world's total annual CO2 emissions while consuming 5% of the planet's mineable coal.
lol, our legacy
edit:

quote:

In Jhaia, India, a series of coal mine fires have been burning since 1916, consuming about 40 million tons of coal and leaving 1.5 billion tons inaccessible. Researchers estimate that, if the fire continues to move at the current rate, the flames will persist for another 3,800 years.

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 05:51 on Nov 16, 2023

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Excited to move up a few plant hardiness levels... looking forward to growing cactus and palm trees :fyadride:
lots of people have ornamental banana plants around here. can't wait 'til they're able to start producing!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/caylenb/status/1725022298170937768

phys.org: New plant hardiness map, used by gardeners nationwide, is unveiled

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

MightyBigMinus posted:

i've gone weirdly far down this road, tried to buy a bamboo farm in thailand.

fuckin love this thread

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/ProfBillMcGuire/status/1724756973063725344

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Thread title?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

finally some good news

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lmao checked my zipcode. Went from zone 8 to 9a.

Funny enough i am growing lemons from seed and 2 years in and theyre still chugging along. I didnt think jt would work out.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When life gives you lemon-growing zones, grow lemons. Duh

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

Which reminds me of this article on Soviet citrus cultivation: Here.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Oops!

Even with assisted migration, climate change means that growing seasons are too volatile.

Also, the rate of anthropogenic climate change is occurring faster than the lifespans of these species to adapt!

Even the PETM gave the biosphere 20,000 years to work with!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Microplastics posted:

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Hubbert posted:

Oops!

Even with assisted migration, climate change means that growing seasons are too volatile.

Also, the rate of anthropogenic climate change is occurring faster than the lifespans of these species to adapt!

Even the PETM gave the biosphere 20,000 years to work with!

it’s not that bad yet

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

mags posted:

it’s not that bad yet

:twisted:

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

mags posted:

it’s not that bad yet

Working on it

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Beautiful 70 degree day gonna have dinner outside on the deck, this time next week gonna barely crack 30

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
It's crazy to think about what summer is gonna be like next year lol

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Samuel Glompers posted:

hot?

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Hm? No, good. Dumbass :rolleyes:

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Samuel Glompers posted:

i helped build a small house for the homeless a few days ago, newly built ones are now being equipped with air conditioners so they will be livable

in seattle

lol, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A Plea To Car Haters: Stop Hating Cars
How vehicle-dependence makes the country fairer and more efficient

[quuote]more Americans than ever are consigning themselves to a car-defined existence by choosing to live in the suburbs. [...] For many, the main attractions of suburbia are lower housing costs and greater safety. Yet recent research sheds light on how cars are a crucial part of the equation, making America’s suburbs both impressively efficient and equitable.[/quote]

go on :allears:

quote:

Start with convenience. It is well-known that American cities are configured for vehicles, a process that began in the 1920s with the Model T. Car-centric urban designs became dominant throughout the country, involving wide roads, ample access to expressways and parking galore. To varying degrees, other countries have copied that model. Yet America has come closest to perfecting it.

perfecting it. But wait, can we get an expert opinion to back this up

quote:

In a paper released in August, supported by the World Bank,

yes?

quote:

a group of economists

oh, do tell!!!

quote:

examined road speeds in 152 countries. Unsurprisingly, wealthy countries outpace poor ones. And within the rich world, America is streets ahead: its traffic is about 27% faster than that of other members of the oecd club of mostly rich countries. Of the 20 fastest cities in the world, 19 are in America.

Ok... so...?

quote:

It is not that American roads are better in and of themselves. Rather, speed is a testament to America’s love affair with both suburbia and smaller towns that feel suburban. Compared with those in other OECD countries, American cities are 24% less populous, cover 72% more area and have 67% more large roads. All this enables drivers to zip around.

sooo......?

quote:

Driving speed shrinks distance. One fashionable concept among urban planners these days is the “15-minute city”, the goal of building neighbourhoods that let people get to work, school and recreation within 15 minutes by foot or bike. Many Americans may simply fail to see the need for this innovation, for they already live in 15-minute cities, so long, that is, as they get around by car. Most of the essentials—groceries, school, restaurants, parks, doctors and more—are a quick drive away for suburbanites.

lmao. Economists, everyone :bravo:

quote:

The car’s ubiquity has another rarely appreciated benefit.

please

quote:

A recent study by Lucas Conwell of Yale University and colleagues examined urban regions in America and Europe. They calculated “accessibility zones”, defined as the area from which city centres can be readily reached. Although European cities have better public transport, American cities are on the whole more accessible. Consider the size of accessibility zones 15-30 minutes from city centres. If using public transport, the average is 34 square kilometres in America versus 63 square kilometres in Europe. If using private cars, the difference is much starker: 1,160 square kilometres in America versus 430 square kilometres in Europe.

"we molested some numbers until they told us that cars good"

quote:

it is precisely such accessibility that has put larger homes and quieter streets within reach for a remarkably wide cross-section of the country. In his analysis of the census from 2020, William Frey of the Brookings Institution, a think-tank, showed that suburbia has become far more diverse over the years. In 1990 roughly 20% of suburbanites were non-white. That rose to 30% in 2000 and 45% in 2020.

"in fact cars are anti-racist"

quote:

Not that cars are a panacea. Owning or renting one costs plenty of money, and is an especially big burden for the working poor. It is therefore common to hear laments in American cities about the sorry state of mass transit. Yet this general perception, though widespread, is not entirely accurate. Even if primarily built for private cars, roads are a shared resource and can be viewed as the “tracks” for buses.

what

quote:

In their study Mr Conwell and his colleagues conclude that bus-based transportation in America is surprisingly effective: public-transit options between distant suburbia and city centres are roughly comparable in America and Europe. Although America could do more to improve its bus services within its urban cores, the crucial point is that cities designed for cars can also support mass transit.

"roughly comparable" doing a lot of heavy lifting i'm willing to wager.