Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/15/03

Brenda Starr 1/31 - 2/2/52

Smokey Stover 1/12/58

Everyday Movies 12/19/36

"But Mother, would you mind very much if we don't bother about seeing Santa Claus this year?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/30 - 8/1/42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The colour spectrum is very clear, it goes YTLMKGFABOWX*.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

manero posted:

Pluggers

Noooooo! :(

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Next you're going to insist brown isn't a real colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4aWZRtTwU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
for Crabgrass, DAYS of making the Thanksgiving day meal? Like, all homemade I am guessing?

I luck out because it's just me and my mom, so we do box and can versions of poo poo. Nothing homemade, fine by me. My old coworker, however, does everything from scratch and he usually starts at like 3am to meal prep for a dozen people. Nothing comes from cans, even the veges are fresh from some farmer's market.

And echoing Flash love. The design and characters are cool, and I never followed the original.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

pretty over luann now, it's just bad and dumb

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

EBB posted:

pretty over luann now, it's just bad and dumb

Picture of astronaut with gun pointed at you: It's always been.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 13, 1935)

Peanuts (November 18, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 7-9, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 20, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (April 29-May 1, 1943)

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

What do you loving think, you old piece of poo poo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Ah, the more things change...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

for Crabgrass, DAYS of making the Thanksgiving day meal? Like, all homemade I am guessing?

I luck out because it's just me and my mom, so we do box and can versions of poo poo. Nothing homemade, fine by me. My old coworker, however, does everything from scratch and he usually starts at like 3am to meal prep for a dozen people. Nothing comes from cans, even the veges are fresh from some farmer's market.

And echoing Flash love. The design and characters are cool, and I never followed the original.

Thanksgiving might be my favorite holiday and I do actually make most things from scratch. I'll be starting prep on Tuesday night dry-brining my fresh turkey. Pies will most likely get made Wednesday night, plus some additional prep of things that can be sit overnight without issue (shredding cheese, cutting brussels sprouts, etc.). But this is something I enjoy doing, so it's not a big deal to me. I definitely am not getting up at 3 AM for this.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
As noted the missed 384 and 385!

Jucika "384 - Jucika And The Toothache"

"385 - Jucika Rides A Motorcycle"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Color chat: You have to define what color system you are working in. Mixing red and blue paint gets you to purple. Mixing red and blue light gets you magenta. Purple and Magenta are not the same color. There's plenty of info out there about the 3 systems of mixing color based on the medium.

How you percieve color is learned behavior you learn as a baby/toddler. Its incredibly facinating. You can find information about the Himba tribe (and ancient Greece) and how they percieve color.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

I gotta say, Olive & Popeye is the worst of these weird reboot / remake comics we get in this thread. Fair play to anyone who likes it but loving hell.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I gotta say, Olive & Popeye is the worst of these weird reboot / remake comics we get in this thread. Fair play to anyone who likes it but loving hell.

Nonsense, my favorite character is Passive Aggressive Snarker #37. Really great use of reviving Whaler Joe from obscurity. It actually was sweet of Randy to do that but he botched everything afterwards and I'll scream if another modern artist hijacks an old IP just to string along for a steady paycheck.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alterian posted:

Color chat: You have to define what color system you are working in. Mixing red and blue paint gets you to purple. Mixing red and blue light gets you magenta. Purple and Magenta are not the same color. There's plenty of info out there about the 3 systems of mixing color based on the medium.

How you percieve color is learned behavior you learn as a baby/toddler. Its incredibly facinating. You can find information about the Himba tribe (and ancient Greece) and how they percieve color.

*extremely white voice* actually I don't perceive color

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hwurmp posted:

now we see the violets inherent in the system

Help, help, I'm being refracted

Bizarro

The Family Circus

"I only need another forty thousand copies to ship to the new Kansas City distribution center."

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Escape pod energy sticks to everything and gets everywhere, it's the glitter of super-science.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

manero posted:

Pluggers

I love how Pluggers has seamlessly gone from being another bad comic the thread begrudgingly tolerates to being a good comic that hits intolerably too close too home.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we are aging and dying op

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Consequences, I Guess. Also Babies.

Heh, Polar Bear Cub In A Baseball Cap. Cute.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Nonsense, my favorite character is Passive Aggressive Snarker #37. Really great use of reviving Whaler Joe from obscurity. It actually was sweet of Randy to do that but he botched everything afterwards and I'll scream if another modern artist hijacks an old IP just to string along for a steady paycheck.

Coming soon to Comics Kingdom: a modern reboot of Mandrake the Magician where he never uses his hypnotic gestures because he's morally opposed to interfering with other people's minds ... and also instead of solving crimes, he just works at a series of lovely temp jobs. If I could actually draw, I'd be set.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Selachian posted:

If I could actually draw, I'd be set.

Drawing skill isn't required.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Can't we all just agree to call the color purple/violet 'grape'?

Mr. Squishy posted:

One of the things that jumps out at me about new Flash is that the colouring is actually good. To my understanding, most strips are drawn to be printed in black and white, and all the colour is done for online in a very workmanlike fashion. Here, although there's nothing super complicated, but you can tell by the glow that someone took a moment to consider how light would fall on this guy, and they picked a palette that looks pleasant.
There is definitely some A+ coloring work going on there. And they are using a limited palette and staying consistent with it every strip, which I love.

I don't necessarily notice coloring for the most part but when it's good I do

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

"I mean, adjusted for time zones and all. I think."

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Gonna spend a little time with her new neighbor, Smirnoff.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

OH loving HELL NO YOU DONT START THIS poo poo AGAIN

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

OH loving HELL NO YOU DONT START THIS poo poo AGAIN

BUCKLE UP, BUTERCUP. IT'S PROPHECY TIME AGAIN.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

YOU CAN'T TELL THE PROPHECY AGAIN THE PHANTOM EXHAUSTED THE ENTIRE NIGHT IT TAKES PLACE ON :argh:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Some Guy TT posted:

There's actually something I've been meaning to ask you on this topic. Your scans of Blueberry were in black-and-white. Maybe this is how it was printed in your country. But on a recent trip to Portugal, I picked up a cheap, but high-quality color paperback of Blueberry. It was only a few euros for about two hundred pages worth of stories, volume eighteen starting with Chihuahua Pearl. Do you have access to these color versions?

I do, but for the sake of not just simply uploading stuff as is, thus providing impetus for people supporting the publishers (and also for ease of editing text) I'm keeping with the B&W scans.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hwurmp posted:

*extremely white voice* actually I don't perceive color

Well hello there Katie

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

I don't think that's how it works.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

This is dumb. Christmas is the holiday people should be boycotting.

Agreed. And even though it's not a holiday (despite capital's best efforts), Black Friday too. I was really hoping covid would kill that poo poo off for good.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I recently read three comic-strip related books the thread might be interested in hearing about :

The Mysteries by Bill Watterson and John Kascht – essentially a picture book for grown-ups with an environmentalist allegory that is typical for Watterson, although I feel that the message Watterson is trying to send is a bit muddled.

Suddenly Silver: Celebrating 25 years of For Better or Worse – I saw this 2004 collection at my local library and decided to give it a try. It's basically a “greatest hits” collection of the various stories that had ran in the comic up to that point. More interesting was various musings and stories by Johnston and her family members about the strip and some of the stories they influenced. For example Lynn's brother-in-law Ralph Johnston was consulted for the coming out story with Lawrence, and Lynn's sister-in-law Beth Cruikshank, the “family veterinarian”, basically came up with the scenario for Farley's death.

Also, here's the photo of Lynn from the back or the book. Not what I was expecting:

Finally I read about half of Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis. This is probably the definitive biography on Schulz, but it is also very thick (about 550 pages, not counting the notes and index) and dense with information. Schulz's childhood takes up about 100 pages, and it's about another 100 before the Peanuts strip really gets going. Still while there is a lot of information to take in, none of it feels superfluous, and really drives home just how autobiographical the Peanuts strip was, with various familiar names popping up during Schulz's early life (he would meet three men named 'Charlie Brown' before he started the strip). I'll probably take the book out again a finish it sometime, but as I mentioned it is dense and, reflecting its subject, somewhat subdued. I found myself comparing it to Michael Schumacher and Denis Kitchen's biography of Al Capp (Al Capp: A Life to the Contrary) which I read last year and found more exciting, if only because Capp was a more bombastic figure compared to the subdued Schulz.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 17, 2023

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Doomykins posted:

YOU CAN'T TELL THE PROPHECY AGAIN THE PHANTOM EXHAUSTED THE ENTIRE NIGHT IT TAKES PLACE ON :argh:

as long as jampa or whatever the vaguely asian pirate turned PRC border guard was exists we're doomed to loop through mozz's bullshit forever

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This prophecy storyline is never going to end is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Newspaper storylines move slowly. Has it been almost four years since the flaming skeleton first showed the Phantom a vision of his impending death? In a very real sense, yes.