Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly am not sure of how it is more of a self parody than Ghostbusters 2 TBH.

Ghostbusters 2 is a good movie for starters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with GB2, it just follows the same beats as GB1. It’s still a good movie.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I think I said it pages back, but what stuck out to me with GB2 is that it never gives itself a moment to rest, it just keeps whipping from set piece to set piece almost as if the writers had no confidence in Vigo being that threatening a villain. If I remember from the post-Slimer montage to Dana getting attacked in the chair not a lot really happens in the original, just a lot of exposition maybe? The closest GB2 gets to this involves a dancing toaster

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair to Real, it basically did that by changing all the characters pretty wildly aside from the absolute broadest strokes. (Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure like 45% of my like of Ghostbusters is due to The Real Ghostbusters. 50% is due to the original Ghostbusters and 5% is due to the lawyer scene in Ghostbusters 2.)

I've been watching a few episodes of RGB recently, and I feel like that's about right but some of their character traits needed to be somewhat toned down for kids TV. Peter still acts like a conman who doesn't really believe in it who cracks on women, even women on station platforms in the middle of the underworld who turn into explosive skeletons

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 12, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
GB2 gets poo poo because no one wanted to make it and it is pretty much beat-for-beat rehashing the first film.

Who cares though, it's still fun and peter macnicol is a blast to watch ham it up.

leslie jones says they butchered gb2016 in the edit and what came out is nothing like what they made, i believe her..that movie feels designed by committee for sure

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

zer0spunk posted:

GB2 gets poo poo because no one wanted to make it and it is pretty much beat-for-beat rehashing the first film.

Who cares though, it's still fun and peter macnicol is a blast to watch ham it up.

leslie jones says they butchered gb2016 in the edit and what came out is nothing like what they made, i believe her..that movie feels designed by committee for sure

How is it beat for beat remaking the first one? I don’t remember the villain trying to kidnap a baby, emotional slime, or the ghostbusters taking control of the Statue of Liberty in the first movie

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

90sgamer posted:

How is it beat for beat remaking the first one? I don’t remember the villain trying to kidnap a baby, emotional slime, or the ghostbusters taking control of the Statue of Liberty in the first movie

I truly love GB2, always will.

But...

- guys not in business at first
- brutally messy 3 (THREE?!) man job right before a montage, that takes place in one big room.
- Dana in peril or peril-adjacent
- bureaucracy getting in their faces, specifically Peter's
- a tense meeting with the mayor!
- said bureaucracy getting officially shut down by the mayor
- large figure stomping through Manhattan (though for vastly different reasons)
- possession, by the main villain, of a side character who ends up acting weird and wants to bone Dana
- underused Winston

There may be more, and like I said, I love and adore the movie, but it's more similar than different than the first.

I really REALLY hope FE is different than Afterlife.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 12, 2023

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
this works as a decent GB3 and between the polished up version and 2009 release is available for almost every kind of game system

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449280/Ghostbusters_The_Video_Game_Remastered/

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Gb2016 would have been better if anyone had bothered to write more than a broad outline and "actors improv all the jokes".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just hate they stopped trying to make ghostbusters remotely funny. It’s so weird to me that it became a series that makes people cry.

It’s ghostbusters!!!!!!!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

90sgamer posted:

- The guys are out on their luck and everyone thinks they're full of poo poo.
- The guys get a lead.
- The guys make a bust. Venkman emerges from twin doors and makes a triumphant pronouncement.
- Montage!
- Venkman woos Dana while the other Ghostbusters are trying to suss out the mystery, which continues to deepen and have new wrinkles. Dana gets scared by the big bad monster and goes to Venkman for help.
- Through trials and tribulations, the Ghostbusters get in trouble and they get taken to the Mayor.
- Montage!
- Eventually the Mayor sides with them and the city is cheering for them.
- Giant monster stomp-asses through Manhattan.
- The guys eventually blow the big bad monster away.
- Venkman and Dana kiss.
- Theme song / credits.

zer0spunk posted:

this works as a decent GB3 and between the polished up version and 2009 release is available for almost every kind of game system

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1449280/Ghostbusters_The_Video_Game_Remastered/

Eh, not really as a GB3? It's more Ghostbusters: The Greatest Hits. Slimer, Hotel Sedgwick, Stay-Puft, the mood slime from GB2, Ivo Shandor / Gozer, and it's painfully obvious that Alyssa Milano's character was intended to be Dana Barrett, with the payoff being that Barrett was a secret Shandor descendant.

It's also painfully un-funny.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Timby posted:

- The guys are out on their luck and everyone thinks they're full of poo poo.
- The guys get a lead.
- The guys make a bust. Venkman emerges from twin doors and makes a triumphant pronouncement.
- Montage!
- Venkman woos Dana while the other Ghostbusters are trying to suss out the mystery, which continues to deepen and have new wrinkles. Dana gets scared by the big bad monster and goes to Venkman for help.
- Through trials and tribulations, the Ghostbusters get in trouble and they get taken to the Mayor.
- Montage!
- Eventually the Mayor sides with them and the city is cheering for them.
- Giant monster stomp-asses through Manhattan.
- The guys eventually blow the big bad monster away.
- Venkman and Dana kiss.
- Theme song / credits.

Eh, not really as a GB3? It's more Ghostbusters: The Greatest Hits. Slimer, Hotel Sedgwick, Stay-Puft, the mood slime from GB2, Ivo Shandor / Gozer, and it's painfully obvious that Alyssa Milano's character was intended to be Dana Barrett, with the payoff being that Barrett was a secret Shandor descendant.

It's also painfully un-funny.

I meant more that it's written by akroyd and ramis and has the cast voicing their respective characters while referencing both films. I thought it wasn't bad for a six hour game and it got positive reviews for what it is. It also uses a lot of the frameworks for the GB3 script they were pitching making it the best example of what GB3 would have been if that got greenlit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zer0spunk posted:

I meant more that it's written by akroyd and ramis and has the cast voicing their respective characters while referencing both films. I thought it wasn't bad for a six hour game and it got positive reviews for what it is. It also uses a lot of the frameworks for the GB3 script they were pitching making it the best example of what GB3 would have been if that got greenlit.

I am afraid, my friend, that you have fallen for PR spin. Ramis and Aykroyd didn't write it, three dudes from Terminal Reality did.

From The New York Times, 2009:

quote:

Mr. Aykroyd is no gamer, but he was at least as impressed by Terminal Reality’s grasp of the Ghostbusters’ lingo and style as he was by their prowess with special effects. (There have been other Ghostbusters games, but none since the early 1990s.)

“In the beginning they came to me, and I said, ‘I encourage you, go ahead,’ ” he recounted. “They gave me the script. I took it. I rewrote it doing little tiny structural things, mostly bringing back the tone of the original dialogue and the vernacular — the terms, the idiom — but they really had it. Two-thirds of it was there. Then they gave it to Harold. He did the same thing.”

The game is being hawked by Atari as having been written by Mr. Aykroyd and Mr. Ramis, but both men, in addition to the real writers at Terminal Reality, readily acknowledge that is mostly marketing bunk. “They were happy to have our involvement at all,” Mr. Ramis said. “The crassest way I can put it is that they couldn’t have paid us enough to give it the time and attention required to make it as funny as a feature film.”

And, no, The Video Game has essentially zero resemblance to the Hellbent script Aykroyd had been pitching since 1997.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

90sgamer posted:

It's like looking at two identical ranch houses, same amount of rooms, layout, etc. But one has aluminum siding and the other has brick. The wallpaper is also different. Also the brick house isn't as funny as the one with aluminum siding.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
In GB2 the mayor doesn't stop them. That Campaign manager goes behind the mayors back and has them locked in an insane asylum. once the mayor finds out he frees them immediately.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timby posted:

I am afraid, my friend, that you have fallen for PR spin. Ramis and Aykroyd didn't write it, three dudes from Terminal Reality did.

From The New York Times, 2009:

And, no, The Video Game has essentially zero resemblance to the Hellbent script Aykroyd had been pitching since 1997.

Does the Hellbent script resemble the “Ghostbusters: The Return” novel or was that kinda it’s own thing too?

Speaking of, I rewatched GB 1 and 2 back to back, I hadn’t seen GB2 in quite some time.

Watching them back to back, I can kinda see how there are similar story beats between the two but I think GB2 changes up the window dressing enough that I’m not bothered by it at all, and I wouldn’t have noticed the similar structure if this thread hadn’t laid it all out just before I watched it. It’s sort of like how Event Horizon/Ghost Ship/Deep Rising/Virus (and the game Dead Space) are all the same exact story with different trappings.

I think GB2 is neat, not as good as the first one but still a good time and a worthy sequel. I don’t care that “none of them wanted to make it”, none of that shows through on screen. Growing up I always found Janosz more annoying than anything else, and on the rewatch I still feel that way.

Gonna replay the GB videogame from 2009 (which I haven’t played since it was new), maybe read “Ghostbusters: The Return”, then rewatch Afterlife.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

90sgamer posted:

In GB2 the mayor doesn't stop them. That Campaign manager goes behind the mayors back and has them locked in an insane asylum. once the mayor finds out he frees them immediately.

The mayor doesn't stop them in the first one, either.

Also, at least with Bill Murray, he had initially signed on for an almost completely different script.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ghostbusters 2 absolutely feels like a movie that had a chaotic, probably terrible production, and nobody but Dan and Ernie wanted to come back.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love an oral history of GB2

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'd love all the deleted scenes to be released

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

Apropos of nothing, Lorenzo Seasons> Coulier Seasons.

Although whomever decided that Coulier should dub over Lorenzo in some of the episodes should be sent to jail.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Ghostbusters 2 absolutely feels like a movie that had a chaotic, probably terrible production, and nobody but Dan and Ernie wanted to come back.

Well, it was being rewritten and re-shot deep into April 1989 (when it had to meet a June '89 release date), which caused horrific cost overruns on the VFX (which had to be offloaded to multiple studios, as ILM simply didn't have the capacity anymore at that time), so ... chaotic is an understatement.

gregday
May 23, 2003

One of the best scenes in GB1 is the car ride conversation between Winston and Ray about the book of Revelation. It’s the part of the movie where it goes from wacky comedy to OH poo poo and there’s nothing like that in GB2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’d love an oral history of GB2

Same. When I got that huge "The Complete Guide to Ghostbusters" compendium, about half of the book is, of course, about the original film. The other half is split, with the largest chunk being for GB2, and the rest touching on RGB, the franchise in general, and some extra bits I think.

When I got the book, no joke, I literally went straight to the section for GB2. I saw the first on VHS when I was 4, and my parents rented it for me all the time. I was nuts for it, same for the cartoon.

But 2 is my first theatre experience, when I was 6, and it's had this kind of super nostalgic spell over me ever since. Not just nostalgia... TMNT is nostalgic to me. Super Mario Bros is nostalgic. Ghostbusters 2, though... That was An Event. Scared the poo poo out of me, and I drank in every moment.

A big part of me wants to see all of the extra footage, which I've been wanting for decades. But another part of me is totally fine with it being a mystery still, since once I see them (namely the possessed Ray driving scene, and the dialogue at the end between the guys during the We <3 Ghostbusters ceremony), the search will be over :smith:

Edit: also, more about the ghost runner and the jewelry store ghost. I'm almost certain those were cut from much larger scenes. But that makes me wonder... When those were filmed and originally meant to be in the movie, what else would have been in the montage at that point?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 13, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gregday posted:

One of the best scenes in GB1 is the car ride conversation between Winston and Ray about the book of Revelation. It’s the part of the movie where it goes from wacky comedy to OH poo poo and there’s nothing like that in GB2.

That scene bothers the poo poo out of me because the passage Ray quotes is from Revelation 6, not 7.

They fixed that in Afterlife, one of the few good decisions that movie made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

gregday posted:

GB2 does have Vigo though, which I think is a point in it's favor in terms of establishing a threatening and legitimately scary presence in the movie. Gozer doesn't really have that same level of presence in the movie because you don't really know what it is and you don't see it until the very end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. Reimaginings can own. Without them you don't get The Fly or The Thing.

That's ...actually extremely true. Hell even Real Ghostbusters was a reimagining.

Except that Real Ghostbusters integrated with the original by framing the movie as an in-universe Hollywood account of the "Real Ghostbusters" origin story.

2016 disavowed the original while also bringing back its cast in different roles. I guess the idea was to help viewers discard the original? And it's like, never do that; The original is why people came to see this one.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

moths posted:

Except that Real Ghostbusters integrated with the original by framing the movie as an in-universe Hollywood account of the "Real Ghostbusters" origin story.

"Murray, Akroyd, Ramis? What is that, a law firm?" is an absolutely killer line

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
There’s a rumor that the plot and concepts for this movie were made with AI and it kind of shows. The AI probably thought ghostbusters cartoon meant the one with the gorilla which it thought meant donkey Kong and just incorporated the plot of donkey Kong tropical freezd

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I absolutely love Ghostbusters 2. I have more fun watching it than I do the original.

But my enjoyment doesn't make any of Timby's criticisms any less spot-on. It's objectively a beat-for-beat retread. I just love it anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I also appreciate GB2 for being set in the lead-up to New Year's Eve because I like having seasonal stuff to rewatch when a particular month or holiday comes around. Usually I'll watch Ghostbusters around Christmas and then GB2 right before the New Year.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I rewatched GB2 yesterday funnily enough (the 4K disc is gorgeous) but I think in hindsight as an adult that Bill Murray is actually the main antagonist in the film. He really resisted suiting up until he absolutely had to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Basebf555 posted:

I also appreciate GB2 for being set in the lead-up to New Year's Eve because I like having seasonal stuff to rewatch when a particular month or holiday comes around. Usually I'll watch Ghostbusters around Christmas and then GB2 right before the New Year.

I also love movies that give concrete dates, with years and everything. Dates the movie in a good way.

"Why don't you give me a jingle in the year 2000?"

Anyway, Ghostbusters was a big part of the greatest summer of my childhood, and I like it.

And Ghostbusters 2 was one of four movies my mom pulled me out of school with my brother to go see (I was in High School, lol).

Ghostbusters meant a lot to me. It still does, but the weepy nostalgic poo poo from Afterlife was a huge turn off and I am not excited at all for the new movie. Ghostbusters needs to be actually funny.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I rewatched GB2 yesterday funnily enough (the 4K disc is gorgeous) but I think in hindsight as an adult that Bill Murray is actually the main antagonist in the film. He really resisted suiting up until he absolutely had to.

I was surprisingly young when I noticed the similarity between him barely getting any marshmallow on him at the end of 1, and him really never getting his hands dirty, literally, in 2. No river of slime, no pajamas at the mayor's office. Even then, I remember thinking that after getting slimed in the Sedgewick Hotel, he (Murray) probably said that that was enough.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I was surprisingly young when I noticed the similarity between him barely getting any marshmallow on him at the end of 1, and him really never getting his hands dirty, literally, in 2. No river of slime, no pajamas at the mayor's office. Even then, I remember thinking that after getting slimed in the Sedgewick Hotel, he (Murray) probably said that that was enough.

Murray was also the biggest complainer about the weight of the packs during the shooting of the first movie (hence his line in the courtroom in GB2).

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Since I grew up in the 80s, I idolized Bill Murray, and I still think he was an incredible talent - but man is he a jerkass IRL.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bill Murray has an insane amount of charisma which is basically the only thing that keeps Peter Venkman from being a movie-ruining dud of a character, which makes it even more of a shame he's such trash as a person.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If I was a director I couldn’t stand not knowing if Murray was going to be in my film or not until he shows up on set for the first day of shooting, even though he’d agreed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

If I was a director I couldn’t stand not knowing if Murray was going to be in my film or not until he shows up on set for the first day of shooting, even though he’d agreed.

I mean, this is what Terminal Reality dealt with when it came to recording the dialogue for the 2009 video game. Murray kept no-showing his scheduled recording sessions, and so the writers began to panic and scrambled to have Aykroyd and Hudson (Ramis was in no shape at that time to make it back to a studio) record a bunch of new dialogue in case Venkman had to be removed. Eventually he showed up for a six-hour session and a four-hour session, and that was it. This is why Venkman essentially disappears for about a third of The Video Game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timby posted:

I mean, this is what Terminal Reality dealt with when it came to recording the dialogue for the 2009 video game. Murray kept no-showing his scheduled recording sessions, and so the writers began to panic and scrambled to have Aykroyd and Hudson (Ramis was in no shape at that time to make it back to a studio) record a bunch of new dialogue in case Venkman had to be removed. Eventually he showed up for a six-hour session and a four-hour session, and that was it. This is why Venkman essentially disappears for about a third of The Video Game.

Hey, anything that gives us more Winston is fine by me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, anything that gives us more Winston is fine by me.

Ironically the legend goes that if it wasn’t for Murray, Hudson would have been given hardly any lines in the original.