Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

cptn_dr posted:

I found it kind of grating, but I don't know if I've ever read anything described as "Dark Academia" without finding it grating, so I'm willing to admit that's possibly just a Me Problem.

As a college professor it is really funny to see what the general public thinks of academic life when the reality is anything but. I have a friend who is a VAP at Yale and even that is not anything like the dark brooding Gothic experience that I'm guessing most people just assume it is because of Hogwarts.

Obviously no one would be interested in a real take on academia (with a chapter on the two-hour faculty senate meeting where the heroes spend half their time debating how to respond to the vice president for advancement's new proposal for a three-year plan on high-impact practice adoption) but I do wonder how university life in general developed such a widespread perception that's so off base. I guess it's a liberal inversion of the conservative view of academia as basically being a Maoist struggle session with blue-haired gender-neutral commissars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Remulak posted:

I was Not Into the new one, System Collapse at all, it felt like a rewritten chapter cut from something larger and the whole thing just wasn’t working for me. Finished it though since I already preordered and paid for it and had enjoyed the previous ones.

To double-check if it was a Me Thing I went back and started Network Effect, then finished the whole thing overnight because I couldn’t put it down. It also put a lot of System Collapse into context and probably would have made it better had I reread it first,but IMO means System Collapse didn’t work as a stand-alone novel.

I didn't dislike System Collapse, but both it and Fugitive Telemetry feel wheel-spinny in a way that makes me wonder if Wells really wants to be writing the series any more, or if she just feels stuck with it since it got so big. Network Effect would have worked great as an ending for the whole thing and she's shown no interest in picking up the one sequel hook it did have.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I tried to read one dark academia novella the other week because, despite myself, I'm always going to fall for the pitch of Wizard Academics, but I put it down after about six pages when it described whatever Oxbridge-style university it was set in as "redolent of Pratchett and Pullman." Real Rawhide Kobayashi stuff.

Dark Academia just kind of feels more like a Pinterest vibe board than an actual genre, though I'd really like to be proved wrong one day, so if anyone has any good examples I'd love to hear them. The closest I've got, I think, is the Yale chapters of Max Gladstone's Last Exit, but I don't even know if that would count.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just The Secret History as aesthetic

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

zoux posted:

This is where I point out that the only book I've ever found that are remotely like this is Son of the Morning by Mark Alder.

The Sad Tale of the Brothers Grossbart has been suggested to me as being comparable to BTF, though bleaker and uglier.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

It's just The Secret History as aesthetic

The Secret History But With Wizards is something that feels like it should be a goddamn slam dunk, but I feel like the problem is that nobody who's turned tried to write it has been anywhere close to as good a prose stylist as Donna Tartt, so it all just turns out insufferably YA-like.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I know I'm probably an outlier but I found The Secret History incredibly grating and it's almost (never say never, etc.) made me swear off anything else pitched as "Dark Academia." Looking at various reviews, I felt like I had somehow read a totally different book from everyone who enjoyed it.

Though I did enjoy Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo, but that was like 80% hillbilly car racing and gay ghosts, and only 20% academia. Maybe I just need to find something with the right ratio of 'academia' to 'dark.'

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

I found it kind of grating, but I don't know if I've ever read anything described as "Dark Academia" without finding it grating, so I'm willing to admit that's possibly just a Me Problem.

The Historian is good, if a bit long.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

The Secret History But With Wizards is something that feels like it should be a goddamn slam dunk, but I feel like the problem is that nobody who's turned tried to write it has been anywhere close to as good a prose stylist as Donna Tartt, so it all just turns out insufferably YA-like.

The Magicians is pretty similar to that and I think Lev Grossman is a good writer. Vita Nosta might also count?

The Secret History was a very fun read though. I tried to read one other "dark academia" book (I think it was "If We Were Villains") but didn't make it very far.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Throughout all recorded history, people have been searching for "Academia, but less self-important".

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I have Blood Over Bright Haven which is supposed to be dark academia too and has been well received as far as I know. I'll report back once I've read it.

Just finished The Art of Destiny. It felt rougher compared to The Art of Prophecy and more meandering. There's a three year time skip between the books and it honestly felt a little directionless. Okay, maybe that's not fair; there's a clear Event that two of the storylines are building to and intersect at, and then the third storyline is kinda off doing its own thing and there is a pretty cool reveal about the overarching plot/lore. But a lot of the plot was intermediary steps that I didn't really care too much about because it lacked stakes.

Lots of action, lots of blow by blow fight scenes but I can't honestly say that I was hit hard by any of the emotional moments.

Good hook at the end of the book though. I'll probably still read the next one.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

zoux posted:

The Historian is good, if a bit long.

Sweet, I'll add it to the TBR pile.

Ccs posted:

The Magicians is pretty similar to that and I think Lev Grossman is a good writer. Vita Nosta might also count?

Oh, of course, I loved both of those. Not sure how I managed to forget those, lol

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I gave up reading the sequel to Fourth Wing and I want to use this post as a giant warning sign; I liked the first book, apparently it's gained notoriety for being heavily pushed via BookTok or whatever but I thought it was still a fun, brainless action adventure fantasy with some romance in it.

I got through around 300 pages of the second book before I gave myself a headache from rolling my eyes and I've put it on the shelf, it's absolutely garbage and not in a "trashy fun garbage" way but in a "this would be painful to read if it wasn't so boring" way. Imagine writing a sequel to your own book and then literally regressing the story. I mean that literally - the plot goes backwards from where it was at the end of the first book.

What's interesting is that this seems to be the prevailing sentiment everywhere EXCEPT in actual "reviews", which are all raving about it, making me think they had some astronomical marketing budget to grease all these reviewers. Absolutely do not waste your time.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

cptn_dr posted:

Dark Academia just kind of feels more like a Pinterest vibe board than an actual genre, though I'd really like to be proved wrong one day, so if anyone has any good examples I'd love to hear them.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment really, they’re mostly just less aware versions of The Secret History or otherwise simply bad campus novels.

Isaac Fellman’s novella The Two Doctors Górski was quite good, maybe one of the only ones to do more than the vibes. But then it’s not really entranced with red brick and tweed and people with English accents. Much more aware of how shabby, exploitative, ego-driven in an unattractive way, and generally low key poo poo a lot of academia is, even when it’s about magic.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yale.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can you tell me who published the French original? If I can look it up and order, it would make a great Christmas present for my husband.

https://inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL+2972-2

You can check INDUCKS for all the different editions. There are a bunch of Fantomius stories scattered across different magazines. The originals are Italian and published in Topolino magazine. The French translations appear to have been published in some Mickey Mouse magazine. There are also various collections available.

Europeans are hugely into ducks, so you can get these stories in pretty much every language expect English.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 16, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

People leave a pile of books at the local bus shelter and I saw one was post captain so I'm aubreying it up tonight hell yeah

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

As a college professor it is really funny to see what the general public thinks of academic life when the reality is anything but. I have a friend who is a VAP at Yale and even that is not anything like the dark brooding Gothic experience that I'm guessing most people just assume it is because of Hogwarts.

Obviously no one would be interested in a real take on academia (with a chapter on the two-hour faculty senate meeting where the heroes spend half their time debating how to respond to the vice president for advancement's new proposal for a three-year plan on high-impact practice adoption) but I do wonder how university life in general developed such a widespread perception that's so off base. I guess it's a liberal inversion of the conservative view of academia as basically being a Maoist struggle session with blue-haired gender-neutral commissars.

I'm heavily reminded of how Patrick Rothfuss never got over his time as a college student so the Kingkiller Chronicles spends a massive amount of its pages on "How am I going to pay tuition?!" and "my college professor is a meanie!".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm not an academic but CS Lewis was, and I've always felt That Hideous Strength has the ring of realism about its academic shenanigans. What with demonic experimental labs and planetary angels and whatnot i daresay it's proto-Dark Academia.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, it always annoyed me a bit that the whole thing about him being a "consulting detective" is almost completely dropped after the first novel. Lestrade still consults with him, of course, but most of the later stories have him accepting cases directly from clients like any other private eye. I think the idea of a detective who exclusively helps other detectives solve their own cases is pretty cool. Has anyone else written stories like that?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Leng posted:

I have Blood Over Bright Haven which is supposed to be dark academia too and has been well received as far as I know. I'll report back once I've read it.

Just finished The Art of Destiny. It felt rougher compared to The Art of Prophecy and more meandering. There's a three year time skip between the books and it honestly felt a little directionless. Okay, maybe that's not fair; there's a clear Event that two of the storylines are building to and intersect at, and then the third storyline is kinda off doing its own thing and there is a pretty cool reveal about the overarching plot/lore. But a lot of the plot was intermediary steps that I didn't really care too much about because it lacked stakes.

Lots of action, lots of blow by blow fight scenes but I can't honestly say that I was hit hard by any of the emotional moments.

Good hook at the end of the book though. I'll probably still read the next one.

I also preferred Art of Prophecy more. I thought the author tried too much to be funny in the sequel. Plus the typical middle-book-of-a-trilogy problems.

Prediction: I assume the big reveal will be that the prophet is also the bad guy and that when it refers to "everybody dies" it means they themselves will die permanently. I.e. that it's cares only about itself when manipulating events with predictions.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, it always annoyed me a bit that the whole thing about him being a "consulting detective" is almost completely dropped after the first novel. Lestrade still consults with him, of course, but most of the later stories have him accepting cases directly from clients like any other private eye. I think the idea of a detective who exclusively helps other detectives solve their own cases is pretty cool. Has anyone else written stories like that?

Sadly it seems to be the exclusive province of 'Defective Detective' types on TV, like Monk, Castle, or Psych.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kchama posted:

Sadly it seems to be the exclusive province of 'Defective Detective' types on TV, like Monk, Castle, or Psych.

Even those usually have them working with a fixed police unit rather than accepting cases from other detectives. Come to think about it, OG Sherlock Holmes would make a good concept for a tv show: Every week, a new eccentric detective shows up with a particularly tricky case that his own wacky detective gimmick proved insufficient to solve. Could be fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of Sherlock Holmes, it always annoyed me a bit that the whole thing about him being a "consulting detective" is almost completely dropped after the first novel. Lestrade still consults with him, of course, but most of the later stories have him accepting cases directly from clients like any other private eye. I think the idea of a detective who exclusively helps other detectives solve their own cases is pretty cool.

Holmes was never meant to not be accepting cases from the public. At the time private investigators didn't work with the police; they were in competition with the police, who frequently took their existence as an affront and harassed them if they tried investigating crimes rather than just finding missing persons and exposing philandering husbands. Holmes's self-bestowed "consulting detective" title comes from him being so good at his job that police officers would go to him for help with criminal cases.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Holmes was never meant to not be accepting cases from the public. At the time private investigators didn't work with the police; they were in competition with the police, who frequently took their existence as an affront and harassed them if they tried investigating crimes rather than just finding missing persons and exposing philandering husbands. Holmes's self-bestowed "consulting detective" title comes from him being so good at his job that police officers would go to him for help with criminal cases.

A Study in Scarlet posted:

“Well, I have a trade of my own. I suppose I am the only one in the world. I’m a consulting detective, if you can understand what that is. Here in London we have lots of Government detectives and lots of private ones. When these fellows are at fault they come to me, and I manage to put them on the right scent. They lay all the evidence before me, and I am generally able, by the help of my knowledge of the history of crime, to set them straight. There is a strong family resemblance about misdeeds, and if you have all the details of a thousand at your finger ends, it is odd if you can’t unravel the thousand and first. Lestrade is a well-known detective. He got himself into a fog recently over a forgery case, and that was what brought him here.”

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I do feel that you're misinterpreting that. All it says is that Holmes is the only detective that other detectives go to, not that it's all he ever does. The most important thing is that he only takes cases if they interest him. If there's no challenge he leaves it to lesser men.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

It was the only one that worked. There would be a certain incongruous humour in Holmes whipping out his pocket Necronomicon and revealing his thorough knowledge of the Mythos, sure, but that just does not work with his character and history, and none of the other authors seemed to get that. Gaiman's story does, perfectly.

Though it's just topped by Kim Newman's The Red Planet League for me; Moriarty's hilariously over the top revenge on an astronomer who dissed Dynamics of an Asteroid is too glorious for words. (Don't bother with his other Moriarty stories though; The Hound of the D'Urbervilles sucks.)

That reminds me that Isaac Asimov's Sherlockian paper for entry into the Baker Street Irregulars concerned what exactly The Dynamics of an Asteroid was about -- and he also turned it into one of his Black Widowers mystery stories.

Anyway, I liked Ninth House, although more for the characters than the magic. Still have to read the sequel one of these days.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Jedit posted:

I do feel that you're misinterpreting that. All it says is that Holmes is the only detective that other detectives go to, not that it's all he ever does. The most important thing is that he only takes cases if they interest him. If there's no challenge he leaves it to lesser men.

The other thing is that the entire conceit of the stories is that they're Watson picking out all the interesting cases for publication - Holmes chides him often for focusing on sensationalism instead of instructional lessons on advancing the science of detectiving. All his consulting detective work, where he simply solves the problem and sends the seeker on his merry way, is too dull to bother sharing.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023

DurianGray posted:

I know I'm probably an outlier but I found The Secret History incredibly grating and it's almost (never say never, etc.) made me swear off anything else pitched as "Dark Academia." Looking at various reviews, I felt like I had somehow read a totally different book from everyone who enjoyed it.

Though I did enjoy Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo, but that was like 80% hillbilly car racing and gay ghosts, and only 20% academia. Maybe I just need to find something with the right ratio of 'academia' to 'dark.'

Ugh, that book really wasted its cool premise and spooky backstory. I enjoyed it up until about halfway through, until I got confused about character motivations and why nothing was really happening regarding the mystery. I guess the story started as fanfiction of Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves and the author didn't want to deviate too far from those characters, but it's still a shame. The book really ran out of steam near the end. :(

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

cheat at solitaire posted:

Ugh, that book really wasted its cool premise and spooky backstory. I enjoyed it up until about halfway through, until I got confused about character motivations and why nothing was really happening regarding the mystery. I guess the story started as fanfiction of Maggie Stiefvater's The Dream Thieves and the author didn't want to deviate too far from those characters, but it's still a shame. The book really ran out of steam near the end. :(

You're not wrong! I read it really quickly so it didn't stick out as much at the time, but the focus did drop off in the second half. It almost felt like it was torn between being Dark Academia or Gothic, but then there was all the car racing too. I think it was trying to do too many things at once. (I'd also never heard of The Dream Thieves before, so I was going in fresh on that aspect I suppose!)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DurianGray posted:

You are not alone. Leaving aside hating the basic setup and all the characters, the author is completely unfamiliar with a college environment, and it shows. People try to calculate how much poison to give their victim by poisoning dogs. This problem is easily solved by heading over to the library and looking up the minimal lethal dose of whatever it is, then doing some very simple math. All of these students got into college; that means they have to have taken both chemistry and algebra.

I was personally irritated because the author knew nothing of northern New England. A big section of the plot has a protagonist sleeping in a barn with a hole in the roof in midwinter in Vermont and no heat. He. would. die. At least, pre-global warming.

Also, I hated all the characters.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't mind reading about Holmes in a lovecraftian setting, but less because he's going to solve the mystery and more because it's so goddamn weird and out of left field he's just like "I have no idea what's going on and no idea where it's going but goddamn is it good to be stumped by a mystery!"

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Okay but

Where are the Lovecraftian mystery stories starring Columbo?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SkeletonHero posted:

Okay but

Where are the Lovecraftian mystery stories starring Columbo?

*Columbo turns the fishing boat around*

"Just one more thing..."

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, I hated all the characters.

Hahah, yup. I know it's supposed to be a satire, but I needed more/more interesting/faster pay off to make up for how annoying they were for me. I also found it goofy how the whole thing was centered around Greek classes, but except for maybe two instances, they seemed to always used Latin if they used an ancient language.

Pivoting a bit, I recently finished Spear by Nicola Griffith. It's a sort of Arthurian 'retelling' where a major-ish character is instead a woman who takes up the role of a male knight. It's not really revealed for a ways into the book (though it's a novella, so it doesn't take too long), but she's Percival.

I don't think I have a super deep knowledge of Arthuriana (beyond general cultural osmosis, some books about teen Merlin I read in middle school, and movie adaptations like the 80s Excalibur or the recent Green Knight), but I liked how this was sort of in the vein of all the Greek myth retellings that have been hot lately, but it wasn't Greek. I've also always found the huge amount of Arthurian stuff (ancient and more modern) sort of intimidating, but this was a nice little window into it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SimonChris posted:

https://inducks.org/story.php?c=I+TL+2972-2

You can check INDUCKS for all the different editions. There are a bunch of Fantomius stories scattered across different magazines. The originals are Italian and published in Topolino magazine. The French translations appear to have been published in some Mickey Mouse magazine. There are also various collections available.

Europeans are hugely into ducks, so you can get these stories in pretty much every language expect English.
Thank you! It was tricky finding somebody who'd ship to the U.S., but AbeBooks was my friend. Couldn't get the precise editions I wanted, but I hope it'll be a treat anyway.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wouldn't mind reading about Holmes in a lovecraftian setting, but less because he's going to solve the mystery and more because it's so goddamn weird and out of left field he's just like "I have no idea what's going on and no idea where it's going but goddamn is it good to be stumped by a mystery!"

This is why I'm tempted by the game 'Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened'. The trailer has a real 'I have no idea what's happening Watson' vibe to it.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

DurianGray posted:

Hahah, yup. I know it's supposed to be a satire, but I needed more/more interesting/faster pay off to make up for how annoying they were for me. I also found it goofy how the whole thing was centered around Greek classes, but except for maybe two instances, they seemed to always used Latin if they used an ancient language.

Pivoting a bit, I recently finished Spear by Nicola Griffith. It's a sort of Arthurian 'retelling' where a major-ish character is instead a woman who takes up the role of a male knight. It's not really revealed for a ways into the book (though it's a novella, so it doesn't take too long), but she's Percival.

I don't think I have a super deep knowledge of Arthuriana (beyond general cultural osmosis, some books about teen Merlin I read in middle school, and movie adaptations like the 80s Excalibur or the recent Green Knight), but I liked how this was sort of in the vein of all the Greek myth retellings that have been hot lately, but it wasn't Greek. I've also always found the huge amount of Arthurian stuff (ancient and more modern) sort of intimidating, but this was a nice little window into it.

If you want to get more into Arthur, read The Once and Future King by T.H. White, which is his reinterpretation of the Arthurian legend. I read it again during lockdown a few years ago and thought it still held up pretty well! The Sword in the Stone starts it off and it's a fun read imo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rags to Liches posted:

If you want to get more into Arthur, read The Once and Future King by T.H. White, which is his reinterpretation of the Arthurian legend. I read it again during lockdown a few years ago and thought it still held up pretty well! The Sword in the Stone starts it off and it's a fun read imo.

Yeah, it still reads very well. Though it kinda hates women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

alternatively for a very different take on Arthurian legends, I just read The Winter King and it's real good, can't speak to the other two books in the trilogy though