Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, gonna call that one a terrible value. But you can probably count the number of pink monitors on one hand, so if that's what you're after, I don't know what better options you have available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I'd consider at least one of :
Buy a monitor with RGB and make it glow pink.
Add some pink backlighting to any old monitor.
Even buy a good monitor and paint it yourself or get someone else to.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

change my name posted:

This is a known bug with Chrome on Nvidia cards that has been happening for months that they refuse to fix for some reason. Your monitor is fine, it happens to me constantly

That's a relief (sorta). Thanks!

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Poked around a bit on this topic and couldn't find much, so a probably-Real-stupid question: I just bought a 35" curved LG monitor and it boots with a warning message "CAUTION: Please use the HDMI cables provided with this monitor" or some such. Is that a real thing, or are they just sidestepping any responsibiility for converter/adapter weirdness? I'm using the same cables I had to my previous Dell 27" and they seem peachy. I can't imagine how that could cause any issue but I've never gotten an warning message like that. Disregard, right?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

HDMI cables are often poo poo and also don't last forever. They don't want people returning monitors or calling support because they used an old/poo poo cable. That's all it is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also cables that were fine for HDMI 2.0 are not necessarily fine for HDMI 2.1

HDMI 2.1 displays (and consoles) will come with a HDMI 2.1 cable

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I guess I'm open to the idea of painting a monitor. Which monitor is a better value/price?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Was considering picking up that Alienware AW3423DWF 1440p ultrawide posted a little earlier but I had a few concerns.

Is this too large a resolution for my RTX 4070 to handle?

The AW3423DWF doesn't have native g-sync support, but it is g-sync compatible. What, if anything, do you miss out on without native g-sync support?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Dell sent me a brand new AW3423DW panel as replacement for my burnt in one. It was manufactured in September 2023. Now I have a huge indecision on whether to keep that or the INZONE M9. It’s a very tough decision as they are both good at their strengths: the AW34 is great for contrast and HDR gaming, the INZONE M9 is amazingly sharp and crisp. Both are beautiful screens. I wish I had a desk big enough so I can swap back and forth.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Was considering picking up that Alienware AW3423DWF 1440p ultrawide posted a little earlier but I had a few concerns.

Is this too large a resolution for my RTX 4070 to handle?

The AW3423DWF doesn't have native g-sync support, but it is g-sync compatible. What, if anything, do you miss out on without native g-sync support?

Yes a 4070 will handle that resolution just fine. G-Sync support works well. If just means that if the frame rate goes under 40fps, you’ll get low frame rate compensation instead of actual VRR. It’s fine you won’t notice.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 15, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

god please help me posted:

I guess I'm open to the idea of painting a monitor. Which monitor is a better value/price?

The Alienware AW2724DM is a bit more at $330 and you get a substantially better monitor. At the same $280 price point there is the ViewSonic OMNI XH2431 or Gigabyte M27Q Pro (the preview image says 240Hz, that's a lie, it's 165Hz, the 240Hz one is $450).

Look around RTings.com's recommended list and you'll find something in your price bracket that will fit your needs.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Razer's 27-inch 1440p 165Hz monitor has been hanging around $300 even lately but I have no clue if it's actually good or worth getting over the Gigabyte M27Q/ M27Q Pro

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

change my name posted:

Razer's 27-inch 1440p 165Hz monitor has been hanging around $300 even lately but I have no clue if it's actually good or worth getting over the Gigabyte M27Q/ M27Q Pro

The Razer Raptor 27 is probably a worse pick in this instance simply because it has a fabric covered back which would be a nightmare to try to paint. In general though, looking at rtings, they seem pretty comparable.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Pick through Dr. Video Games 0031's post history in this thread. He's been the person putting the most effort into staying up to date on monitors for a while now, though other people might also have worthwhile suggestions.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I asked not too long ago, so maybe the research is going to be on me, but I'm looking for a 1440p 32" monitor. Any refresh rate is fine, it's a secondary screen to match my primary. Kind of driving me nuts having a 27" 1080p above my bigger, higher res one.

How can I figure out what the cheapest non terrible version of this I can get is? Seems like maybe the market for that size/resolution is small and games oriented.

Thanks!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Been looking to downsize from my 2x27" 1440p setup to a single ultrawide. Both because 2x27" is a bit much for how close they are, and because I'd like to be able to keep things more centered. So those 49" super ultrawides that are essentially 2x27" in one are too big for what I'm looking for. I've also been feeling 34" 3440x1440 might feel a tad small. I recently noticed the 38" 3840x1600 monitors and feel like this would be ideal and address my concerns about the 34" options, especially with the increased vertical resolution, however, there don't seem to be many options in this space currently and they all seem quite expensive for what you get. Essentially the Alienware AW3821DW for $800-900 or the LG 38WN95C-W for $1150. These are like double equivalent 34" options and you can even get a 34" with modern tech (e.g. OLED) for less (e.g. the AW3423DWF). Are there any more 38" options or price cuts on the horizon or are they just too niche at this point? Something like the AW3423DWF @ $800 is honestly tempting, but I also could just get a non OLED 34" to hold me over until 38" becomes more accessible.

My uses cases are a Mac Studio for programming & content creation (hobby photo editing being the main monitor relevant use), a gaming PC (currently running a 3070) and a streaming dongle (currently a CCwGTV). So I'd like something with good sRGB color accuracy, and 144 Hz VRR (ideally with G-Sync support since I'm running an nvidia card).

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you for the responses I've gotten regarding the pink Pixio monitor. I'm still trying to do some research into the matter, but I guess a question that comes up is what makes the Pixio bad for the money in comparison to other monitors? Unfortunately, $300 is my breaking point, and anything more is too much for me. Heck, I was even thinking about picking up a cheap $100 1920 x 1080 144hz monitor if not for the fact that the Pixio was higher resolution and could 100 hz. I've only had 60 hz and 1080p before.

I don't want an OLED because I'm afraid of burn in, but would I be hurting if I don't get a 144hz monitor? Nice colors would be neat, but it's not super important to me. I'm an artist, but primarily I work with black and comics. :v:

Fun fact: I'm currently using my pen display tablets as a monitor because it's the only thing I was able to take with me. Anything would be a step up, especially ergonomics wise.

edit: is something like the GIGABYTE G27Q 27" a better purchase than the Pixio?

god please help me fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 16, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Thank you for the responses I've gotten regarding the pink Pixio monitor. I'm still trying to do some research into the matter, but I guess a question that comes up is what makes the Pixio bad for the money in comparison to other monitors? Unfortunately, $300 is my breaking point, and anything more is too much for me. Heck, I was even thinking about picking up a cheap $100 1920 x 1080 144hz monitor if not for the fact that the Pixio was higher resolution and could 100 hz. I've only had 60 hz and 1080p before.

I don't want an OLED because I'm afraid of burn in, but would I be hurting if I don't get a 144hz monitor? Nice colors would be neat, but it's not super important to me. I'm an artist, but primarily I work with black and comics. :v:

Fun fact: I'm currently using my pen display tablets as a monitor because it's the only thing I was able to take with me. Anything would be a step up, especially ergonomics wise.

edit: is something like the GIGABYTE G27Q 27" a better purchase than the Pixio?

The Gigabyte G27Q Pro is a better purchase just because of what you're getting for your money. HDMI 2.0 instead of HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.4 instead of DisplayPort 1.2, a higher refresh rate of 165Hz (can be overclocked to 170Hz). From what I'm finding the Gigabyte has slightly better coverage of the DCI-P3 color space, both exceed SRGB colorspace by a good 15-20%. The Gigabyte gets slightly brighter, but it's not a huge difference.

The biggest thing is that the Gigabyte has been reviewed by rtings.com, which is considered one of, if not the, best monitor and tv ratings sites. They have not reviewed the Pixio, but the Gigabyte has done well enough in the sub-$300 price class for them to give it a recommended mark across 11 different articles for varying use cases. It's not a super fancy high end OLED or anything like that, but it's a very good monitor for less than $300.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Alienware AW2724DM is a bit more at $330 and you get a substantially better monitor. At the same $280 price point there is the ViewSonic OMNI XH2431 or Gigabyte M27Q Pro (the preview image says 240Hz, that's a lie, it's 165Hz, the 240Hz one is $450).

Look around RTings.com's recommended list and you'll find something in your price bracket that will fit your needs.

Just had one of my monitors die due to an unplanned power outage, this post and the last couple of pages of discussion about 1440p monitors has been really helpful. Based on the rtings recommendations and the monitors that had been discussed here I ended up ordering an AW2723DF since Dell AU have it on sale in their black friday offers. With the 7% education discount it ended up costing AU$650 delivered (cheaper than the AW2724DM for this island...). Seemed like a reasonable choice given the LG 27GP850-B was almost the same price at AU$600+30 delivery and the M27Q X was more expensive at $630+30 delivery. I've currently got an XB271HU as my primary (the deceased monitor was a dell U2312HMt) with the bugged gsync module that occasionally decides to relocate a few columns of image data from the middle of the screen to the edge, I'll lose no sleep making that the secondary monitor.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Splinter posted:

Been looking to downsize from my 2x27" 1440p setup to a single ultrawide. Both because 2x27" is a bit much for how close they are, and because I'd like to be able to keep things more centered.

Would it work on your situation to lift one of your current monitors above the other and locate both of them in the center.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ephphatha posted:

Just had one of my monitors die due to an unplanned power outage, this post and the last couple of pages of discussion about 1440p monitors has been really helpful. Based on the rtings recommendations and the monitors that had been discussed here I ended up ordering an AW2723DF since Dell AU have it on sale in their black friday offers. With the 7% education discount it ended up costing AU$650 delivered (cheaper than the AW2724DM for this island...). Seemed like a reasonable choice given the LG 27GP850-B was almost the same price at AU$600+30 delivery and the M27Q X was more expensive at $630+30 delivery. I've currently got an XB271HU as my primary (the deceased monitor was a dell U2312HMt) with the bugged gsync module that occasionally decides to relocate a few columns of image data from the middle of the screen to the edge, I'll lose no sleep making that the secondary monitor.

The AW2723DF is, by pretty much all measures, a better monitor than the AW2724DM so that's a pretty good deal! Dell's pricing in the US still has the DF at $650 USD vs $330 for the DM. Be sure to use DiplayPort so you get the full refresh range of the monitor instead of being limited to 144Hz over HDMI. Hope you enjoy the new monitor!

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 16, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Saukkis posted:

Would it work on your situation to lift one of your current monitors above the other and locate both of them in the center.

Not really. a) my neck, b) currently I use one monitor for gaming (144hz gsync) and one for photo editing (better color accuracy than the other but only 60 hz), so there's no ideal candidate for which one would be @ head height. Now I could just get a new 27" that can do both well enough and use that @ head height but I'm not really interested in stacking monitors like that, and even if I did go that route I'd probably still want a 34" or 38" ultrawide rather than a 27" as the primary monitor.

e: should also not stacking/vertical monitors don't really work well with my desk because the monitors are on a riser shelf and even in horizontal orientation the bottom on the panels are already basically sitting on the shelf surface (via a VESA mount) to maintain good ergonomics.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 16, 2023

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Any good black friday deals for a 32" monitor? Preferably 1440p and 120hz+ refresh rate?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty satisfied with the cheap HDR AOC monitor. Not necessarily for SDR content, but it does feel like it over delivers in HDR content for that price

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
Thank you once again for the monitor information. I had pretty much zero information before about monitors and felt pretty lost on how to find out what was good or not. A bit of a confession: I had already ordered the Pixio before I posted in here, and it finally arrived. I definitely needed a proper monitor in the meanwhile because websites tended to break when they're forced to display on a 10 inch and 16 inch display tablets.

I might return the pink Pixio later within the return period, and try out the Gigabyte monitor and compare the two. Didn't know about a monitor that had better refresh rates and colors when I had ordered this at the time. :sweatdrop: Once again, thanks for the advice!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Black Friday monitor deals are already shaping up to be good this year, LG and Corsair's 27" OLEDs are already down to $780 at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LG-UltragearTM-Monitor-nVIDIA%C2%AE-Compatible/dp/B0BRBW8KRK https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-XENEON-27QHD240-27-Inch-Monitor/dp/B0C3SFTL1X/

Samsung's 49" OLED ultrawides are also down to $1,000

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 17, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Acer's 27" OLED is $630 at B&H Photo: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1772478-REG/acer_um_hxxaa_001_predator_x27u_27_gaming.html

This monitor had some issues when it launched, but Acer has issued some firmware updates to fix some of those issues. The HDR tone mapping is still a little off though, and it's still a pain in the rear end to switch between SDR and HDR modes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fnmz2e_4xI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n58SwahHSVk

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My pair of LG 34UM64-P's has lasted for going on 7 years this winter, but now one is starting to do some weird stuff where half will flicker when its on HDMI.

So I got a Samsung Odyssey G7 (LC27G75TQSNXZA) today for $470, not sure how good of a deal that was with Newegg. Will report back how I feel about it after a week or so. The old monitor is going to get relegated to vertical duty for pdfs in the meantime until it is no longer useful.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED is $1099 with a $100 coupon applied at Amazon for black friday, sale is already active (total $500 off)

Samsung Odyssey G9 57" dual 4K is also $500 off, currently $1999.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have thoughts on upgrading from a 34" 1440 UW to a 4K non-UW for productivity/coding? Happy with it?

Feeling like my 1440 UW (dell aw3418dw) could be bigger and higher res for productivity even though I'm happy with it gaming. It gets awkward managing windows because I can't ever get happy with my fancy zone splitting. The size/res isn't enough to do a 3 split with my main work in the middle, I hate 2 split because looking to the side constantly bugs me, and just going full screen is way too wide for anything that isn't a game. I've ended up with a weird 3 split but I fiddle with it too much.

It's a shame there isn't a site where you could play around with splitting different sized monitors at different resolutions to see what you end up with the equivalent of multiple smaller monitors.

Worried the big 40"+ 4k monitors would feel too big at a normal desk, but not sure I'd be happy staying with 34" at 4k. Only thing in the middle I've found is ASUS ROG Swift 38” 4K which had some mediocre reviews. I'm not sure if I'd miss the curve.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone have thoughts on upgrading from a 34" 1440 UW to a 4K non-UW for productivity/coding? Happy with it?

Feeling like my 1440 UW (dell aw3418dw) could be bigger and higher res for productivity even though I'm happy with it gaming. It gets awkward managing windows because I can't ever get happy with my fancy zone splitting. The size/res isn't enough to do a 3 split with my main work in the middle, I hate 2 split because looking to the side constantly bugs me, and just going full screen is way too wide for anything that isn't a game. I've ended up with a weird 3 split but I fiddle with it too much.

It's a shame there isn't a site where you could play around with splitting different sized monitors at different resolutions to see what you end up with the equivalent of multiple smaller monitors.

Worried the big 40"+ 4k monitors would feel too big at a normal desk, but not sure I'd be happy staying with 34" at 4k. Only thing in the middle I've found is ASUS ROG Swift 38” 4K which had some mediocre reviews. I'm not sure if I'd miss the curve.

4k at a similar screen size might not improve your window splitting that much as you may need to scale the UI to keep things from being too tiny. In general I wouldn't expect a single 16:9 monitor to give you more usable screen real estate than 21:9 unless you significantly increase the screen size. In other words, you're unlikely to be happy with a 3 window split on a single 16:9 monitor even if you're upgrading from 1440p to 2160p. Upgrading to 4k is typically more about pixel density (for clarity) than screen real estate.

Have you considered sticking with UW but upsizing to something like 38" 3840x1600 (e.g. AW3821DW)? This gives each window 1280 horizontal pixels when doing 3 window split which maybe is enough to not feel too cramped when doing a 3 window split depending on what you're expecting. This is what I'm currently considering as well.

Here's a picture that shows the screen real estate difference between 3440x1440 vs 3840x1600 (it's more significant than I would've expected just looking at the numbers):

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

32" 4k (the size that actually exists) is only 5% more screen size than 34" UW. It is 71% more pixels, so if you can use the increased DPI without squinting you may get a somewhat larger increase in practical screen space, but it's not THAT big a jump. OTOH, losing 3.5" of frequently useless width for 3.5" of more frequently useful height may skew things back in the direction of 32" 4k.

Mostly I would fall back to my always argument that there is no substitute for multiple monitors. You could go with some larger 4k ultrawide or something but then you're back to paying the ultrawide tax at a ludicrous ratio and you couldn't convince me to consider that over a 4k gaming monitor + a 4k second monitor adding up to half the cost.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I switched from an UW to a dual 4k 32" and kind of regret it. I LOVE the pixel density for text heavy work but dual 32" is too much head movement.
I’d kill for a >38" UW with a 5k2k resolution and at least 100hz.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 18, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

xgalaxy posted:

I switched from an UW to a dual 4k 32" and kind of regret it. I LOVE the pixel density for text heavy work but dual 32" is too much head movement.
I’d kill for a >38" UW with a 5k2k resolution and at least 100hz.

Well, the 49" Samsung Odyssey OLED G9, 5120x1440, is "only" $1,099 at Amazon right now with a coupon applied. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C48D7Q22

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Branch Nvidian posted:

Well, the 49" Samsung Odyssey OLED G9, 5120x1440, is "only" $1,099 at Amazon right now with a coupon applied. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C48D7Q22

That’s not a 5k2k monitor though is what I’m saying.
I guess it’s technically called WUHD now: WUHD (5120 x 2160)

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The AW3821DW would seem like a pretty sensible upgrade from my current. Solid bump in both size and resolution. Are there any issues running a less standard UW resolution? Except for some Japanese games I haven't run into UW problems in a while, but it seems like 1440 UW is the standard UW resolution. It would be kinda nice to get rid of UW problems entirely going straight 4k but I wasn't accounting for the change in scaling. My eyes aren't that great.

Multiple 32" monitors sounds like hell on my neck too. I have a smaller monitor perched above my UW that has discord and random poo poo on it, but if I went back to majorly using multiple monitors they'd have to be 27"-ish.

That 49" Samsung would seem glorious in some games but in ones that didn't adjust their UI at all for UW resolutions your shooter healthbar would be hilariously far away. It would seem great for productivity if the mega size of it wasn't too much. I've been thinking that 40"+ would be awkward on my standard sized desk.

I have to admit I really can't tell much of a difference at high refresh rates if there are cheaper options without them. Windows changed my refresh rate from 120 to 85 for who knows how long and I never noticed until I was adjusting something else in the Nvidia panel.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

The AW3821DW would seem like a pretty sensible upgrade from my current. Solid bump in both size and resolution. Are there any issues running a less standard UW resolution? Except for some Japanese games I haven't run into UW problems in a while, but it seems like 1440 UW is the standard UW resolution. It would be kinda nice to get rid of UW problems entirely going straight 4k but I wasn't accounting for the change in scaling. My eyes aren't that great.
I've been using the AW3821DW as my main monitor for about 2 years now and it's been pretty great. It is technically an uncommon resolution, but just a month ago I was able to play both KOTORs in 3840x1600 with a few mods to make it work, no issues otherwise.

Currently playing Alan Wake 2, which supports the resolution right off the bat (and you can easily disable the cutscene pillarboxing with an ini edit).

So, in regards to most games, the worst you'll have to go through is a little elbow grease, but I haven't yet encountered anything that supports 3440x1440 but flat-out doesn't support 3840x1600.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As far as the neck thing running dual 34" UWs was great for a while but it's definitely not as comfy now that I'm older. I can see the value of stuff like the G9 with the curve so long as you have it far enough away.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Goons, why is this monitor so bloody cheap? 50% off $499 at time of posting.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-43-Inch-Technology-FreeSync-LS43CG702NNXZA/dp/B0BW1VM62Y/

edit: Ditto this one. $700 at time of posting, also 50% off.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824026323?Item=N82E16824026323

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 19, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-43-Inch-Technology-FreeSync-LS43CG702NNXZA/dp/B0BW1VM62Y/

The 43" G7, and I assume the LG as well, came out in Q1 of this year so they're probably about to get replaced in a few months when CES happens is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Amazon frequently exaggerates or outright lies about sale percentages. Looking at the price history of the samsung, it actually has been going for around 599 or 650. Still a good discount, but yeah pretty standard for a black friday reduction.