Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Taima posted:

Today's the day boys

And next Thursday and the next and the next and the next ughhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The escape hares doing CQC on Toji lol

This episode was just scene after scene of the most badass stuff put to animation

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
soooo good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Pour one out for Toji. Truly the most domineering of spirits.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

this show is incredible

one of the best animated episodes of anime i've ever seen god drat

mappa's just been killing it (and their animators) this whole loving season

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shoutout to trench coat guy for being the smartest person in Shibuya.

too bad being smart doesn't prepare you for Sukuna's bullshit

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You know I'm starting to think the bad guys don't have very good plan management

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I don't know if my browser is being low key stupid or it is crunchy's fault, but the subtitles are weird. It is clear that the characters are saying more than the subtitles are displaying. Its like they either forget a line here or there, or mistimed them so badly that they're just skipped entirely.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The best part of the new episode is when Megumi is fighting Seance-Toji and one of the bunnies come in on a web sling like spiderman?!

That's already funny but what makes it even more hilarious is how a certain corner of the jjk community got mad that Yuji came in on that web sling when they were heading to the top of that skyscraper.

And now they're like, you know what? gently caress yall. Everyone dropping in on webs now. :lol:

Also how do we go back to season 1 of this anime now? It's not even the same show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I do think that is kind of a problem with the series where a lot of the fun character stuff just kind of gets pushed to the wayside.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Taima posted:

The best part of the new episode is when Megumi is fighting Seance-Toji and one of the bunnies come in on a web sling like spiderman?!

That's a pipe

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

God drat that was a great episode.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

wedgie deliverer posted:

God drat that was a great episode.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Oh drat this episode does that insanely hardcore anime move of playing the OP at the end of the episode for MAXIMUM DAMAGE

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Oh drat this episode does that insanely hardcore anime move of playing the OP at the end of the episode for MAXIMUM DAMAGE

And the title card.

I just managed to watch the previous episode this morning and it was interesting seeing these two episodes pretty much back to back.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Absolutely busted rear end thing

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you figure out how Toji was a glitch on your own.

I figured out that he was a badass.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't say I've seen a shonen where the protagonist unwillingly massacres countless innocents before:stare:

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
so much for misunderstood demon fox with a heart of gold

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

There's a lot going in this episode, but I just wanna appreciate Snackuna

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I can’t believe that after such a brutal, intense episode, they left us with a goddamn Jojo reference.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is it wrong my first thought after witnessing the carnage was "Wait. Did he just nuke Nanami?!" But man. He gonna need some ointment for that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

show is kinda mid

I liked the extra mouth thing

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

Can't say I've seen a shonen where the protagonist unwillingly massacres countless innocents before:stare:

To be fair, we had one where the protagonist willingly did that a bit over a week ago, if that counts.

Same studio, too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, we had one where the protagonist willingly did that a bit over a week ago, if that counts.

Same studio, too.

He had kind of fully shifted into antagonist at that point.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

animation not good and action difficult to follow. Hope the animators get a break, because this looks like a breaking point.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
It's nice to see a shounen with a contemporary story show real world consequences to demigods throwing down. None of this Bleach stuff where they copy a whole rear end city to fight in.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fantastic episode but like all the others, lack of animation time impacted it. That being said, the effects were minimized by good direction and use of animation in key areas and pulling back in others.

I really, really hope that they just cancel the rest of the episodes and restart the entire thing in 3-6 months, and do it right this time. But that feels unrealistic. We'll see.

The one thing that does confuse me about Season 2 is that it's basically an entirely different show from season 1. I am genuinely curious how it will feel to non-manga fans in particular as they watch through season 1 and then progress to season 2.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Taima posted:

Fantastic episode but like all the others, lack of animation time impacted it. That being said, the effects were minimized by good direction and use of animation in key areas and pulling back in others.

I really, really hope that they just cancel the rest of the episodes and restart the entire thing in 3-6 months, and do it right this time. But that feels unrealistic. We'll see.

The one thing that does confuse me about Season 2 is that it's basically an entirely different show from season 1. I am genuinely curious how it will feel to non-manga fans in particular as they watch through season 1 and then progress to season 2.

yeah season one had characters interacting with each other and spooky mysteries and stuff and this season is basically a bunch of different fight guys we just met fighting each other

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
https://x.com/nobiliroccia/status/1725408043335082472?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

one of the animators said they only consider the episode 30% finished. I’m happy with what we got given their insane crunch time

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This is something all the creative forces (not management) deserve for this show - violence and power have consequences in this world, unlike so many other shounen from the past. There are no endless wastelands to fight in. You can't just magically teleport to a mirror version of Tokyo where there are no civilians. If you wanna shoot the mega beam, better aim good or accept collateral damage.

And that makes the characters choices and decisions that much more meaningful.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

S1 was an ok enough shounen with cool fights happening often enough to keep watching for them

S2 has a lot more drama in the writing and broadly much cooler fights. On both sides I far prefer it to S1 myself but it's certainly a different vibe.

It's really awful what's going on with the animators though. I really like this season and I don't think boycotting it is likely to be helpful, but also it's a pretty sickening thought to have in the back of my head every time I watch. If i was a better person I'd just stop watching at this point tbh, that staff member who just posted a drawing of an animator from shirobako hanging herself on twitter was really rough.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 17, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Gotta say, the horror tales from JJK animation team are making me appreciate the Zom 100 team a bit more. Like it was still obviously a production fuckup, but when facing with that kind of issues, rescheduling your episodes and taking the negative consequences to the chin seems to be a far better choice than just soldiering on until total animator death like Mappa seems to be doing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

yum posted:

https://x.com/nobiliroccia/status/1725408043335082472?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

one of the animators said they only consider the episode 30% finished. I’m happy with what we got given their insane crunch time

It's heartbreaking. I want to see what these people want to create, so bad. I'm desperately hoping that they allow the animators another go at the entire season, but if not, I guess that's business for ya.

You can see the outline of the work they wanted to create, and it's beautiful. That's the worst part.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I still think this episode ruled, but you can see how Icarus it was with a lot of the really cool directorial choices not quite being fulfilled on the animation side. All the cool 1st person cuts, the magnitude of the destruction, the insanely kinetic nature of the fight, trying to do justice to Sakuna's capabilities. Some of it lands well, some of it is like "nice try guys".

I'd love to see this episode fully realized.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jerkface posted:

I still think this episode ruled, but you can see how Icarus it was with a lot of the really cool directorial choices not quite being fulfilled on the animation side. All the cool 1st person cuts, the magnitude of the destruction, the insanely kinetic nature of the fight, trying to do justice to Sakuna's capabilities. Some of it lands well, some of it is like "nice try guys".

I'd love to see this episode fully realized.

There's the blu rays maybe

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
While I don't want to justify any of the arguably criminal* scheduling calls the jerks who call themselves production management at MAPPA get up to...

...I do feel people are a bit insane calling episodes like this bad looking. Like, compared to what? Film? 80s OVAs? I've been rewatching YYH back to back with new episodes of JJK, and I think people have developed ludicrous standards for TV animation. Granted, part of that is a self fulfilling prophecy: you get super ambitious with a project, you're gonna raise expectations, but even compared to the first season (which was a perfectly cromulent bit of TV animation)... crazy poo poo going on here. Yeah it doesn't look perfect, but bad???

*I was actually reminded that MAPPA's spawning grounds, Madhouse, got accused of labor code violations, which makes this current state of affairs all the more dunderheaded. I saw something about the JJK0 movie having been produced in about four months and speculation about that being a success gave the people drawing up the deadlines a lot of bad ideas about how fast they could expect the studio to turn things around.

Also find myself wondering if the fact that Chainsaw Man (like Kimetsu) being a largely joint project between MAPPA and Shueisha VS the usual roundup of production partners means that it had less ridiculous expectations compared to JJK.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

OnimaruXLR posted:

While I don't want to justify any of the arguably criminal* scheduling calls the jerks who call themselves production management at MAPPA get up to...

...I do feel people are a bit insane calling episodes like this bad looking. Like, compared to what? Film? 80s OVAs? I've been rewatching YYH back to back with new episodes of JJK, and I think people have developed ludicrous standards for TV animation. Granted, part of that is a self fulfilling prophecy: you get super ambitious with a project, you're gonna raise expectations, but even compared to the first season (which was a perfectly cromulent bit of TV animation)... crazy poo poo going on here. Yeah it doesn't look perfect, but bad???

*I was actually reminded that MAPPA's spawning grounds, Madhouse, got accused of labor code violations, which makes this current state of affairs all the more dunderheaded. I saw something about the JJK0 movie having been produced in about four months and speculation about that being a success gave the people drawing up the deadlines a lot of bad ideas about how fast they could expect the studio to turn things around.

Also find myself wondering if the fact that Chainsaw Man (like Kimetsu) being a largely joint project between MAPPA and Shueisha VS the usual roundup of production partners means that it had less ridiculous expectations compared to JJK.

Yeah I thought this last batch of eps has been some of the wildest thing I've seen on television, Dagon one aside.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
One thing I learned about the production is that in order to hold on to the time slot JJK airs in MAPPA has to have a something to air every week, labor and time constraints be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah that's why clearly unfinished episodes or unplanned clipshow episodes air sometimes.