Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Came to post by bro Augustus. No title but just coincidentally held every single Senior Aqueduct Supervisor esque position (just one fellow bureaucrat among equals) at once, sometimes for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Looks like 11.11 wasn't too hot this year,

quote:

Mass Returns on the Worst 11.11: 80% Return Rate for Every 100 Items Sold, Crushing Sales Figures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJurqmH0RQ

I was more surprised with this desk, like two inches leg space for the customer and nothing for the clerk, like what is inside it?

Also on the no surprises here front. Huawei just mapping everything with offline surveys and not using AI at all in the car. I mean, China has the cheap labour and funding to do that, but this seems more of a strategy after someone has a fully automated driving system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq6-kV2X5Sw&t=927s

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 17, 2023

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Is 11.11 some big sales day?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

MrMoo posted:

Looks like 11.11 wasn't to hot this year,

I was more surprised with this desk, like two inches leg space for the customer and nothing for the clerk, like what is inside it?

The pandas that are intended for U.S. zoos.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes. I think it started as a day where singletons treat themselves.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

thetoughestbean posted:

The 11th of November is Pepero Day!

So all the kids buy and exchange chocolate snacks on this day.

At least it is in Korea. I don't remember it being anything special when I was in China.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

BrigadierSensible posted:

At least it is in Korea. I don't remember it being anything special when I was in China.

What distinguishes this from Pocky?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

5er posted:

Well I am in Hokkaido currently, and nobody gave a poo poo about "Pocky Day", but when I was in Korea, all the kids, and most of the adults would buy a packet of Pepero to give to their friends on the 11th of Nov.

Physically? It's the same breadstick dipped in chocolate snack, just a different brand.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

5er posted:

It's made by a different company

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

singles day was the largest shopping day on earth for a while

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I actually didn't mean any snark, I love Pocky, and I'll put Pepero on my radar now next time I visit this gigantic Asian food megastores with just straight bullshit markup that's not far from me.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It's made by Lotte, which is unsurprisingly a Korean company. You can usually find the giant pepero a few dollars cheaper,

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

MrMoo posted:

Looks like 11.11 wasn't too hot this year,

Also on the no surprises here front. Huawei just mapping everything with offline surveys and not using AI at all in the car. I mean, China has the cheap labour and funding to do that, but this seems more of a strategy after someone has a fully automated driving system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq6-kV2X5Sw&t=927s
I haven't followed this thread lately so are we now just consuming Falun Gong channels and taking them as wholesale truth?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

I haven't followed this thread lately so are we now just consuming Falun Gong channels and taking them as wholesale truth?

Yes

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Unfortunate that that channel has a thing against China, I watched most of the first video and they didn't even mention the return rates at all. Other sites do at least corraborate parts of the story,

quote:

Alibaba and JD.com declined for a second-straight year to share total figures for the Singles Day shopping festival.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/13/xiaomi-claims-a-record-3point11-billion-in-singles-day-sales.html

Always a dearth of information in most of the articles, including from Reuters,

quote:

The Singles Day sales period ended up with anemic growth in transactions, despite steep discounts by retailers. That points to shoppers’ fatigue after the rebound in consumption following the post-pandemic reopening. President Xi Jinping needs buyers to do more to power the country’s economy.

https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/chinas-singles-day-shows-buyers-commitment-issue-2023-11-13/

The Huawei content appears to be only valid for their "ADS" system version 1.0, as 2.0 specifically mentions no longer requiring maps.

quote:

Zhangjun Zhang (Jun), Vice President of Huawei Asia Pacific, Public Affairs and Communications, highlighted that Huawei’s intelligent driving system does not rely on maps and would be more practical for large-scale implementation as the vehicles will continuously upgrade their information about road conditions and obstacles and related sections of any particular road through familiarization.

But then the next paragraph contradicts that, the "system" has (only) been implemented in cities ...

quote:

Huawei’s advanced intelligent driving system, which includes the urban navigation cruise assist (NCA), has been implemented in Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Guangzhou for improved city navigation. Furthermore, by Q3 and Q4 of this year, the service will be available in 15 and 30 additional cities, respectively.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501364596/huaweis-ads-2-0-revolutionises-driving-with-map-less-functionality/

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 17, 2023

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MrMoo posted:

It's made by Lotte, which is unsurprisingly a Korean company. You can usually find the giant pepero a few dollars cheaper,

:eng101: lotte is currently headquartered in seoul but it was founded in tokyo. i hear that some of the folks from the founding family speak korean with a japanese accent due to growing up in japan. no real point to me bringing this up, i just think it's an interesting company.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It brings my heart joy to know that communist China has their own horrible consumerism day

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Mr. Fix It posted:

:eng101: lotte is currently headquartered in seoul but it was founded in tokyo. i hear that some of the folks from the founding family speak korean with a japanese accent due to growing up in japan. no real point to me bringing this up, i just think it's an interesting company.

This is the usual legal wrangling of large corporations though, Lotte Corporation was founded in Tokyo, but Lotte Confectionary was founded in Seoul.

Like Fidelity is technically 6? different institutions that legally cannot talk to each other, but all share the same name, all thanks to market abuses that the SEC finally came down upon. I've had to work with each one separately, it is very odd.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Regardless, Lotte was founded by a Korean dude, right? He just lived in Japan.

I know it's pretty much exactly the same, but every time I see Pepero for sale here (it's not nearly as common as Pocky) I go "ooo Pepero!" and grab a few boxes. It's one of those reminders that man isn't a rational creature to me.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

thetoughestbean posted:

It brings my heart joy to know that communist China has their own horrible consumerism day

There's a communist china??

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ili posted:

Two Three Four countries, one system.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Which number is the shan state

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

ili posted:

Look, they say they’re communist

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BrainDance posted:

Regardless, Lotte was founded by a Korean dude, right? He just lived in Japan.

Yeah he was born in Ulsan during the occupation. The foundation and building of the company was done in Japan right after the war though, it didn't start doing business in Korea until the late 60s.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I can still eat Pokky tho, Glico isn't some pseudo Korean infiltrator is it?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Strong Sauce posted:

Yeah, there are a ton of these wish fulfillment channels about the demise of China right now, the one I hate the most is the one with that bald-headed white guy. Steer clear. Serpentza and C-milk are kind of OK and I understand their hostility, I don;t mind them.

e: the guy I was thinking of was Chris Chappel of China Uncensored. Dude is a total tool and has only gotten worse over the last 10 years.

Tarkus fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Nov 17, 2023

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Its funny because the alternatives exist for other markets too. Near daily shows explaining in very serious and trustworthy sounding ways how the USA is about to fracture into a civil war and its economy is tipping at the edge of the abyss and so on. People love made up or grossly exaggerated news about the failings of their enemies.

I had a barber who'd go on non-stop about brics and belt and road and crypto. It was always "within the next year" that the US currency was finally going to collapse due to it being based on worthless fiat currency instead of gold, and then the world will stop trading in dollars and the US will totally collapse and the brics nations will finish their inevitable rise. But it won't be an authoritarian world because crypto currency will take over instead of any national currency and no one can regulate crypto so there will be global freedom.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Its funny because the alternatives exist for other markets too. Near daily shows explaining in very serious and trustworthy sounding ways how the USA is about to fracture into a civil war and its economy is tipping at the edge of the abyss and so on. People love made up or grossly exaggerated news about the failings of their enemies.

I had a barber who'd go on non-stop about brics and belt and road and crypto. It was always "within the next year" that the US currency was finally going to collapse due to it being based on worthless fiat currency instead of gold, and then the world will stop trading in dollars and the US will totally collapse and the brics nations will finish their inevitable rise. But it won't be an authoritarian world because crypto currency will take over instead of any national currency and no one can regulate crypto so there will be global freedom.

It's everything these days. Hate Elon Musk? Here's a channel ripping him down. Like Him? Here's a channel building him up. Same goes for Ukraine, Russia, Hamas, Israel and every other form of political entertainment. There's a channel that will feed you daily news supporting your ire or love. It seems to exist for everyone and there is no bastion of actual truth.

I'd like to say it's a unique and modern problem but we've gone through this for the whole of our written history it seems.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I want to know what the response, or lack thereof, of the "dictator" comments are.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Toxic Mental posted:

I want to know what the response, or lack thereof, of the "dictator" comments are.

Quiet acknowledgement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It seems like things went well, so I imagine if Xi is serious about wanting to calm things down he'll tell everyone to shut the gently caress up about it. It's not like anyone outside China will suddenly go oh he said he isn't a dictator? Our mistake whoops. And it could bring unwanted attention to it in China--people were vocally unhappy about him deciding to be Dictator for Life, that was the biggest rumble of political discontent that happened prior to the covid protests. Best not to poke at it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Toxic Mental posted:

You could easily read Biden’s hedge as him implicitly acknowledging democratic centralism which would be super artful if it were on purpose

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't get Blinken would grimace at a comment like that. Probably like 90% of Americans agree he's a dictator, saying so is a winning position, at least for realpolitik. It being buried on foxnews.com is probably a telling sign of that.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Apparently Xi forgot about his wife’s birthday and was accidentally reminded of it by Biden

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Sounds like next year Singles' Day will have one more customer

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Toxic Mental posted:

Well, don't talk about it on reddit, I've been "permanently banned from posting threads or commenting" in a whole bunch of subs recently for mocking Xi.

loving tankies are so thin skinned they have bots searching out the entirety of reddit for any bad speak against Xi and China.

e: seriously, though, why are cheer squads always so loving humourless?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 17, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well, don't talk about it on reddit, I've been "permanently banned from posting threads or commenting" in a whole bunch of subs recently for mocking Xi.

loving tankies are so thin skinned they have bots searching out the entirety of reddit for any bad speak against Xi and China.

I can only imagine that /r/Sino would ban you for that. /r/Politics probably wouldn't.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wonder if, on a fairly major site like Reddit, this is just tankies being tankies and not something more sinister.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Toxic Mental posted:

I can only imagine that /r/Sino would ban you for that. /r/Politics probably wouldn't.

who the gently caress interacts with /r/Politics

the default reddits are pure rear end

i say this as someone who very much disagrees with all the old goon "heh, reddit bad!" types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I have an account for shitpposting thats banned from most of the r/noun pages for, er, shitposting, nothing particularly hedonistic, but I'm sure it would get utterly canned if I decided to sino-shitpost.