Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
E: double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
E: oh no a triple edit is not post

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The slavery ancestry thing is probably technically true. If you go back into anyone’s lineage a few thousand years there are probably going to be conquered classical people, medieval serfs, and indentured servants in there. It’s intentionally misleading because chattel slavery as it was practiced in the the americas was a uniquely horrific institution that’s not really comparable to most historical slavery though.

That's what's frustrating. He's deliberately trying to downplay American slavery because since it existed everywhere at every time, the US wasn't so bad.

We need to rebrand chattel slavery as American Exceptionalism. We were the best at being the worst. USA USA USA!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
it's been pages and pages but I'm still lollin at Elon agreeing with the idea that "the white race is the only one defined by people who aren't in it".

Just imagining the Asian and African councils of whiteness getting together in the 1950s and trying not too giggle while they phone Italy to give them the bad news.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kingo Ligma posted:

it's been pages and pages but I'm still lollin at Elon agreeing with the idea that "the white race is the only one defined by people who aren't in it".

Just imagining the Asian and African councils of whiteness getting together in the 1950s and trying not too giggle while they phone Italy to give them the bad news.

It's true though? Just that white people set the definition, not the other way around. There has never been a clear line of "whiteness" other than "not a member of a group we consider not white".

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's true though? Just that white people set the definition, not the other way around. There has never been a clear line of "whiteness" other than "not a member of a group we consider not white".

yeah that's definitely what he meant, for sure

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I can't imagine Musk apologizing, and defending himself would just make it look worse. Of course, he is a billionaire so I imagine this will all blow over in a few days or weeks but it sure would be funny if this led to his decline

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ben shapino posted:

yeah that's definitely what he meant, for sure

considering he was quoting/responding to well known neo-nazi jack posobeic, the intent is obvious enough. it's a true statement they have taken all the wrong lessons from.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's kind of the point, the truth is the exact opposite of this theory, the in group decides, not the outgroup.
It's only right in that it is completely and totally 180' wrong

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Not sure this is making the point he wants to make

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's loving crazy that he keeps tweeting about how he's not a nazi. I guess there's literally nobody left who can slap his phone away from him.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

explosivo posted:

It's loving crazy that he keeps tweeting about how he's not a nazi. I guess there's literally nobody left who can slap his phone away from him.

One of the richest people in the world playing Goon in a Well

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

kazil posted:

You'd think these people at some point would pause and maybe think about just how frequently they need to defend against accusations of antisemitism and racism against their idol, but nope, it's obviously everyone else just overreacting again due to the woke mind virus.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 17, 2023

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Henny Ford has been dead for 76 years

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Krispy Wafer posted:

Tesla's board will care when sales tank. And that MIGHT happen soon. There are only so many people who want EV's at this point and Tesla might be running out of those buyers while trying to boost market share with their aggressive pricing.

Plus they just wasted 5 loving years building the Cybertruck, so all they have to sell this relatively small slice of the US auto consumer base are sedans. And American car buyers do not prefer sedans.

Tesla's incredibly high stock evaluation assumes exponential growth. If just slows to 'normal' levels, it's going to crash.

Edit: also no one has paid any attention to Tesla's CFO, who was essentially running the company, leaving. He was supposed to be the 'adult in the room' and Musk's eventual replacement. So either Musk ran him out because he made Elon look bad or he saw a real bad brick wall the company was hurtling towards.

I think they only care when the stock tanks. Nothing about the company itself justifies even 10% of it's current stock price. There's enough idiots with money who have delusional belief in Musk the Genius that they propelled the stock to be a load bearing part of the economy. I would be fully unsurprised if Tesla sales tank for 2 years and the stock just keeps going up

NmareBfly posted:

Hahahahaha you think it'll be rational.

Stock is going to jump high after the launch.

It might dip a month later when the truck child murder count gets national traction for a bit.

This is exactly it. The guys who made a bunch of money when TSLA rocketed to 100x its value will keep pushing this poo poo indefinitely. I don't know what if anything will finally break it but it's nothing at all to do with the products the company produces. Honestly, ousting Musk is probably the worst thing that could happen to the stock.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I wanted to ask about this. Someone I know is doing victory laps saying GM is cancelling all their EVs because the market is poo poo and nobody wants EVs. I didn't know anything about this story so I didn't say anything but none of it made sense, every third loving car around me is a Tesla and a fair chunk of the rest are Rivians or Lucids or Mustang EVs, it's all but taking over

It's just the Bolt? Because GM, specifically, hosed it up? Lmao

Companies are lemmings and when Ford decided they were going to get Tesla's stock valuation by doing what Tesla did and pushed hard to rapidly go EV, everyone else decided to follow suit. GM had the Bolt but now everyone decided they wanted to compete for the Premium EV segment that Tesla is in. Their premium offerings were dragging rear end but they were pushing to rush them out to market so they wouldn't get left behind.

Shockingly, after every company in the world released cars targeting the same small market segment of people with $60,000 to buy a third car, demand started to drop significantly. As a result everyone is dropping their projections back to reality and GM is not rushing their new products as much as they were.

The auto industry as a whole is abandoning affordable low margin cars for expensive, high margin cars because it looks better on their balance sheet. They'd rather sell less cars for more profit than compete for market share. The Bolt being affordable and low/no margin means GM is desperate to replace it with something they make more profit on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

considering he was quoting/responding to well known neo-nazi jack posobeic, the intent is obvious enough. it's a true statement they have taken all the wrong lessons from.

excuse me his name is AGENT POSO

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
My “I’m not a nazi or a racist or an anti-Semite or a loving idiot” tweets has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my tweets

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kazil posted:

it's impossible to be racist if you have any percentage of that race in your family history, that's just science

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I bet he's locked himself in his office again

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Getting some real "I have black people in my family tree" joke vibes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Macichne Leainig posted:

Getting some real "I have black people in my family tree" joke vibes

The miners who worked in our emerald mine were practically family to me, it always put a blemish on my day when some of them died

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

shyduck posted:

I bet he's locked himself in his office again

Der MuskerBunker

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

"See? I'm not the only car company founder who was a Nazi or antisemite! It's no big deal"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

kazil posted:

"See? I'm not the only car company founder who was a Nazi or antisemite! It's no big deal"

he is the only antisemite car company founder who did not actually found the company he's a founder of, however

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You call Elon musk a nazi, but he would have ruined the third Reich so fast with his stupid ideas involving rockets, and there's no way Hitler would have been able to deny him any resources, musk and Hitler cca 1945 have the exact same energy so they would have gotten along great.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

You'd think these people at some point would pause and maybe think

Come the gently caress on

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

IBroughttheFunk posted:

You'd think these people at some point would pause and maybe think about just how frequently they need to defend against accusations of antisemitism and racism against their idol, but nope, it's obviously everyone else just overreacting again due to the woke mind virus.

Everyone criticizing Elon just proves how right he is! You can’t even say simple things like how there’s a secret evil cabal of Jews in charge of everything these days.

The more people yell and scream at me how stupid I am, the more it’s obvious I’m right. :smuggo:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Do you think Linda will stay on regardless of what Musk does or will one day #abandonship?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ghastly posted:

Everybody was saying that at the last Kanye concert I went to. It was hosed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOgM1x9nRoY

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

E the Shaggy posted:

Do you think Linda will stay on regardless of what Musk does or will one day #abandonship?

How many horses does one woman need???

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

She’s got to wait until her stock options vest before pulling the ripcord, so I give it until at least June ‘24.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

She's going to make the most mild criticism about his antisemitism or racism and he will fire her.

"Elon, @NFL sales are down 200% because they don't like how you keep tweeting the 14 words. #sports🏈"

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
“Everyone on @X can’t stop watching and posting about the [slur] vs [slur] game! The score is 14:88! We love @sports on @X!”

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/...ce=articleShare

quote:

Less than 24 hours after Elon Musk endorsed an antisemitic post on X as “the actual truth” of what Jewish people were doing, IBM paused its advertising on the social media platform as X’s chief executive, Linda Yaccarino, and others at the company scrambled on Thursday to contain the fallout.

X employees said on Thursday that they had gotten calls from advertisers wondering why Mr. Musk was making comments seen as antisemitic and why their ads were showing up next to white nationalist and Nazi content, according to internal messages that were viewed by The New York Times. IBM cut off about $1 million in advertising spending that it had committed to the platform for the last three months of the year, the messages said.

In a note to employees on Thursday morning, Ms. Yaccarino said that “X is a platform for everyone” and that “discrimination by everyone should STOP across the board.” She said the company had been clear about its work to fight antisemitism and discrimination, and later shared a similar message on X.

In a statement, IBM said it “has zero tolerance for hate speech and discrimination, and we have immediately suspended all advertising on X while we investigate this entirely unacceptable situation.”

X did not respond to a request for comment. The Financial Times earlier reported on IBM’s pause in advertising on X.

Mr. Musk, who bought Twitter last year and renamed it X, has faced increasing criticism that he has tolerated and even encouraged antisemitic abuse on his social media platform. He has attacked George Soros, the financier who is a frequent target of antisemitic abuse, and threatened to sue the Anti-Defamation League, a rights group that has highlighted the rise in antisemitism on X.

On Wednesday, Mr. Musk went further when he agreed with a post from an X account accusing Jewish communities of pushing “hatred against whites that they claim to want people to stop using against them.” Jewish people are now “coming to the disturbing realization that those hordes of minorities that support flooding their country don’t exactly like them too much,” the account added.

“You have said the actual truth,” Mr. Musk replied to the post.

Jewish groups have compared the statement that Mr. Musk endorsed to the “Great Replacement Theory,” the far-right idea that minorities are replacing white European populations.

“It is the deadliest antisemitic conspiracy theory in modern U.S. history,” the American Jewish Committee, a U.S.-based Israel advocacy group, wrote on X on Thursday. “To amplify it on @X is incredibly dangerous.”

Social media platforms in general have faced rising scrutiny since Hamas attacked Israel last month and Israel retaliated. Antisemitic and Islamophobic hate speech has surged across the sites and has been especially prominent on X, according to the Anti-Defamation League and researchers. On Wednesday night, more than a dozen Jewish creators and celebrities also confronted TikTok executives in a private meeting, urging them to do more to address a rise in antisemitism and harassment on the video service.

In September, Mr. Musk met with Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, at a Tesla factory in the San Francisco Bay Area after facing accusations of antisemitism.

“It’s not an easy thing to be maligned — I know you’ve never seen that, right?” Mr. Netanyahu asked Mr. Musk at one point.

“Me, maligned?” Mr. Musk said, laughing. “Never.”

At X, Ms. Yaccarino has previously intervened in situations involving antisemitic content on the platform. This month, a sales employee flagged apparent antisemitic posts that the site had not removed, leading Ms. Yaccarino to ask that the posts be reviewed, two people with knowledge of the situation said. The employee who flagged the posts is no longer with the company, the people said. The Information earlier reported Ms. Yaccarino’s actions on those posts.

On Thursday morning, X sales employees asked about Mr. Musk’s posts and what they could relay to their clients, according to messages seen by The Times. They also cited an article from Media Matters for America, a left-wing advocacy group, which showed that ads from major brands were appearing on X next to posts promoting white nationalist and Nazi perspectives.

“A lot of large advertisers have been called out in this article,” one employee wrote.

Another employee wrote that she was concerned because she worked with Apple, a major advertiser that was mentioned in the Media Matters piece, and asked if some of the posts “were manipulated.” An employee responded that the company’s trust and safety team, which has experienced layoffs and resignations, was “actively looking into this.”

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

kazil posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/16/...ce=articleShare

“A lot of large advertisers have been called out in this article,” one employee wrote.

Another employee wrote that she was concerned because she worked with Apple, a major advertiser that was mentioned in the Media Matters piece, and asked if some of the posts “were manipulated.” An employee responded that the company’s trust and safety team, which has experienced layoffs and resignations, was “actively looking into this.”

Lol. Elon fired the entirety of trust and safety and replaced it with himself in a fake mustache.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Gonna wait for the Defamation League to profess their unwavering support for Mr Musk

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Musk fired his media relations team too right? I think I keep seeing articles saying the only response they got from X was a poop emoji.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I know probably the only people left at Twitter at this point are musk dick rider lifers but I couldn't imagine getting an email that went to everybody in the company I worked for saying "Discrimination has to stop now!" when the owner is clearly the person the complaints are about and is still given free reign to discriminate in the open on the platform you work for. Like she's throwing shade at the employees for something the guy who owns it is literally actively engaging in. It boggles the mind how braindead and clearly ceo in name only yacco is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Nm. Covered on previous pg

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 17, 2023