Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
is there a reason to still have a separate boot partition? bioses stopped being dumb about booting from arbitrarily sized disk partitions in early 00s, and in efiland you need an efi partition but then the rest is arbitrary because efi's gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

is there a reason to still have a separate boot partition? bioses stopped being dumb about booting from arbitrarily sized disk partitions in early 00s, and in efiland you need an efi but then the rest is arbitrary
The MBR can only be 512 bytes long, and in order to be capable of anything other than chain-loading, you need a fair few number of tricks.

Still, chainbooting is practiced more often than not.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Speaking of arch, is anyone using arch (or endeavour) having issues with system updates / package management related to the KDE 5->6 changeover? Like needing manual intervention when updating because Kdoodad got renamed to Kdoodad5, and some other K-package still wants the old name as a dependency. So instead of just pacman -Syu and walk away, you gotta look at things and force some changes.

Trying to figure out if this is a general Arch problem, or something that Manjaro in particular is bungling. I just hit a separate thing where I need to do some system surgery*, and while I'm not exactly eager to switch distros it might be a good time to do so.

*(My /boot partition is only 300mb, which is now too tight to do kernel changes without rebooting to LTS, removing 6.5, installing 6.6, and rebooting again. Manjaro takes no blame for this one, I did that myself by manually setting up partitions and looking at old info that said 300mb was standard.)

This happens with Arch maybe once or twice a year for me. Recently had it happen with JDK, too. You'll eventually find some jerk on the Arch forums explaining that it's obviously your fault for installing those packages which aren't in the official repos even though that's where they came from in the first place.

Anyway, you can fix this by uninstalling the abandoned packages from the error message. Might have to do a few rounds of it, but KDE will eventually upgrade.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Klyith posted:

Speaking of arch, is anyone using arch (or endeavour) having issues with system updates / package management related to the KDE 5->6 changeover? Like needing manual intervention when updating because Kdoodad got renamed to Kdoodad5, and some other K-package still wants the old name as a dependency. So instead of just pacman -Syu and walk away, you gotta look at things and force some changes.

Trying to figure out if this is a general Arch problem, or something that Manjaro in particular is bungling. I just hit a separate thing where I need to do some system surgery*, and while I'm not exactly eager to switch distros it might be a good time to do so.

*(My /boot partition is only 300mb, which is now too tight to do kernel changes without rebooting to LTS, removing 6.5, installing 6.6, and rebooting again. Manjaro takes no blame for this one, I did that myself by manually setting up partitions and looking at old info that said 300mb was standard.)

I think that happens with all major kde updates on all rolling distros. I remember the same problem on gentoo with the kde 4-5 switch.
Manjaro's strange bunching of upgrades will either make it better or worse, no idea which. And the fix will probably be hidden in an unrelated paragraph on their update blog.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Truga posted:

is there a reason to still have a separate boot partition? bioses stopped being dumb about booting from arbitrarily sized disk partitions in early 00s, and in efiland you need an efi partition but then the rest is arbitrary because efi's gone

I was under the impression that when using btrfs, you need to put the kernel a separate boot partition with a more standard FS; fat, ext, etc. Is that not true?

When I installed linux on this PC I did a manual partition/mounts setup, not a great choice when I didn't quite understand how it all worked. But I wanted the separate /home partition, and EXT4 as my root FS because someone ITT convinced me that btrfs was terrible. So I made a 300MB partition that was in fact just for EFI (so only about 1/2MB used).

Later on when I realized that btrfs was not terrible and it would actually be super useful to have OS rollbacks, I tried to convert the system in-place to btrfs. I was following a hodge-podge of instructions that told me I needed to convert the EFI into a full /boot partition and move the kernel there, which I did successfully. The rest of the conversion was not successful, but at least the rollback worked perfectly. And I never bothered to undo the /boot change.

I've been planing on switching distro and doing a btrfs root, in which case can I have just a tiny grub EFI partition and have the kernel in the main one?

VictualSquid posted:

I think that happens with all major kde updates on all rolling distros. I remember the same problem on gentoo with the kde 4-5 switch.
Manjaro's strange bunching of upgrades will either make it better or worse, no idea which. And the fix will probably be hidden in an unrelated paragraph on their update blog.

Worse: the release thread in their forums. (Manjaro forums are pretty crap. I'd rather deal with hostility than incorrect info.) But at least they aren't uniquely to blame for the kde stuff.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Truga posted:

For a long time if you wanted to have a LUKS encrypted disk you'd still need to put the kernel and initramfs on an unencrypted /boot partition. Of course, you can use the EFS for that if you want so you don't actually need a separate partition dedicated to /boot.

I think GRUB also has support for LUKS but back when I used LUKS I was unwilling to try it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

The MBR can only be 512 bytes long,
Even FreeBSD has supported native UEFI booting for like a decade now.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Threw Ubuntu on a Surface Pro 6. God drat it is so much better than Windows. Had massive performance issues with the SP6 and recent Windows 11 versions, but Ubuntu is running like a dream with the surface linux kernel.

Some of the performance issues may have come from running Windows Subsystem for Linux for dev purposes, which works like crap anyway so might as well go straight to the source :hellyeah:

Note for anyone who is thinking of throwing Ubuntu or another distro that supports secureboot on a Surface -- they just introduced a major irritation that only Mint Linux seems to handle gracefully.

Really want to revisit dual booting on my desktop now.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Even FreeBSD has supported native UEFI booting for like a decade now.
You don't have to go that far back to find systems that default to UEFI-CSM.

Even if you do assume UEFI on everything, the ESP is a separate boot partition.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Klyith posted:

I don't recall any of the Kdoodad → Kdoodad5 transitions being a problem, no. Only issue I've had recently was the aforementioned JDK - JRE thing:
code:
sudo pacman -Syu
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict
I dealt with this by digging around, figuring out what was a dependency or requirement of what, and removing stuff that looked unfamiliar and unrequired. (I forget if it was jdk or jre that went away and I don't really care.)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Vavrek posted:

I don't recall any of the Kdoodad → Kdoodad5 transitions being a problem, no. Only issue I've had recently was the aforementioned JDK - JRE thing:
code:
sudo pacman -Syu
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict
I dealt with this by digging around, figuring out what was a dependency or requirement of what, and removing stuff that looked unfamiliar and unrequired. (I forget if it was jdk or jre that went away and I don't really care.)

You probably know this, but for the audience:
A JDK is a Java Development Kit, and includes a java compiler, a bunch of other tools, and a JRE.
A JRE is a Java Runtime Environment - everything you need to run java programs.

In other words a JRE is a subset of a JDK. I can see how that could be fun to package.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Computer viking posted:

In other words a JRE is a subset of a JDK. I can see how that could be fun to package.

Doesn’t seem that complicated, just make jdk depend on a matching jre and only include the extra stuff in the actual jdk package? I think it used to work like that on Red Hat back in the dark times.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
weird you guys aren't subscribed to the arch newsletter??

https://archlinux.org/news/incoming-changes-in-jdk-jre-21-packages-may-require-manual-intervention/

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Computer viking posted:

You probably know this, but for the audience:
A JDK is a Java Development Kit, and includes a java compiler, a bunch of other tools, and a JRE.
A JRE is a Java Runtime Environment - everything you need to run java programs.

I think I was barely aware of this. Thank you for spelling it out.

I'm not sure why I had jdk-openjdk installed. I only know why I have jre-openjdk installed because of its Required By list.

I ought to be, or rather there ought to be some automated thing that makes me go "yeah I have seen the latest newsletter" when one comes up between updates.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
There is actually a pacman hook that will notify you of newsletter updates: https://github.com/bradford-smith94/informant

If you have any aur packages they may also cause dependency issues if you forget to update them.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

M31 posted:

There is actually a pacman hook that will notify you of newsletter updates: https://github.com/bradford-smith94/informant

If you have any aur packages they may also cause dependency issues if you forget to update them.

Thanks! That's exact the sort of thing I was thinking of. I think I saw that, or a reference to that, and it went in the back of my mind as an "oh yeah that sort of thing would be good probably I guess" and didn't resurface until the jdk situation.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I am, but in between the time of them posting the guide and me installing the updates, I forget about them.

e: that hook sounds useless as it just makes you read the latest post irrespective of if you are installing the update that the post is about.
Though it made me remember the portage hook that actually had logic linking the packages to the updates and showed you the update whenever you installed the package it explains. It pushed the info to page 79 of your 100 pages compiler output in the terminal, or if manually reconfigured into your syslog or system email. It also did so after installing the package in question, instead of before.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 14, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm using Mint + awesome wm. Extremely rarely, my system will crash and force a restart. When it does, I have an issue where I try to open Firefox and it will only open in my second workspace. The only way to fix it is to open an instance of Firefox in my main workspace (a 'bare' one without any of my pinned bookmarks, like SA) and then close the instance on the other workspace.

Is there a way in Awesome to move windows from one workspace to another? It's not a huge deal; just a pain in the rear end and I'm sure there's an easier, more 'Linux-y' solution.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
What does the journal say? is this under x11? my gut is saying it's some kinda display environment variable getting owned by the crash?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm using Mint + awesome wm. Extremely rarely, my system will crash and force a restart. When it does, I have an issue where I try to open Firefox and it will only open in my second workspace. The only way to fix it is to open an instance of Firefox in my main workspace (a 'bare' one without any of my pinned bookmarks, like SA) and then close the instance on the other workspace.

Is there a way in Awesome to move windows from one workspace to another? It's not a huge deal; just a pain in the rear end

Casual google says awesome wm calls workspaces "tags", so is that meta+shift+1 to put it on tag 1?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm sure there's an easier, more 'Linux-y' solution.

If you're using awesome wm I think the Linux-y solution is "you write your own lua script to control exactly how you want your windows to behave".

Which is a very Linux-y solution. Dunno about easier. Especially if you don't know how to program in lua.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Klyith posted:

Casual google says awesome wm calls workspaces "tags", so is that meta+shift+1 to put it on tag 1?

Perfect! Thanks.

quote:

If you're using awesome wm I think the Linux-y solution is "you write your own lua script to control exactly how you want your windows to behave".

Which is a very Linux-y solution. Dunno about easier. Especially if you don't know how to program in lua.

Yeah....I'm all about customization but I'm too lazy to learn how to write lua.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Going to try and read the contents of your hard drive across hundreds of miles… is your /tmp mounted as tmpfs or in a real location

zhar
May 3, 2019

ziasquinn posted:

ofc the week I'm evangelizing Nixos I end up back on arch, my mother-distro

What impelled you to switch back, if I may ask?

I was reflecting that secondary to perfidious nvidia the thing that has wasted the most of my time on fedora i3 spin is figuring out exactly how they've implemented the defaults when I've needed to change them, and as I have things set up fairly minimally anyway it might suit me to have a barebones distro to set up so at least I know how it is setup, and arch and nixos are the top contenders.

I might try to model the vanillaos way of using flatpaks / distrobox for everything which should solve the issue that I have a bit more stable releases and it might even be possible to have switchable DE's with this containerized approach even on arch.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

While lying in bed trying to stew this cold off I saw this article pop up on my phone's news recommendations and wanted to run it by this thread, although in the meantime it seems he has added some clarifications https://thehftguy.com/2023/11/14/the-linux-kernel-has-been-accidentally-hardcoded-to-a-maximum-of-8-cores-for-nearly-20-years/

I was curious if someone could say what would be the actual performance effects of this hard-locking to 8 cores, since I'd figure that you'd have to be doing something extraordinary to notice the difference on a standard desktop.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tesseraction posted:

While lying in bed trying to stew this cold off I saw this article pop up on my phone's news recommendations and wanted to run it by this thread, although in the meantime it seems he has added some clarifications https://thehftguy.com/2023/11/14/the-linux-kernel-has-been-accidentally-hardcoded-to-a-maximum-of-8-cores-for-nearly-20-years/

I was curious if someone could say what would be the actual performance effects of this hard-locking to 8 cores, since I'd figure that you'd have to be doing something extraordinary to notice the difference on a standard desktop.

It's a clickbait headline with some fundamental misunderstandings. What is capped to a maximum of 8 cores is a calculation on how long the time slices should be for the task scheduler, as in "what is the minimum amount of time a thread is allowed to run for before being preempted if the system is under load." That article is getting rebuttals all over the place but I don't know which rebuttal article is best yet. It was an intentional decision to cap that calculation at 8 cores, not an oversight.

On low core count systems, this is low to improve responsiveness, and make sure that each thread is getting run regularly. On high core count systems the minimum time slice can be longer, but they saw negative effects even on high core count systems if you run a really long time slice, so they set the value calculated for 8 cores as the max.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

All right, I'll wait for the smoke to clear on the rebuttal articles before reading further, but it seemed like the kind of thing that someone would have raised before now if it was an actual problem, i.e. people saying "why is my kernel so loving slow?" and finding that value.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It would be noticed by a hyperscaler in about 10 nanoseconds if the 64+ core systems they racked only used 8 of the cores.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I mean, any HPC platform in the last 20 years, and any AMD user in the threadripper era, really.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

zhar posted:

I was reflecting that secondary to perfidious nvidia the thing that has wasted the most of my time on fedora i3 spin is figuring out exactly how they've implemented the defaults when I've needed to change them, and as I have things set up fairly minimally anyway it might suit me to have a barebones distro to set up so at least I know how it is setup, and arch and nixos are the top contenders.

I might try to model the vanillaos way of using flatpaks / distrobox for everything which should solve the issue that I have a bit more stable releases and it might even be possible to have switchable DE's with this containerized approach even on arch.

honestly I just wasn't fully utilizing the environment and knew that despite being rolling, it is always going to lag behind the one-and-holy arch.

a little nagging feeling, i guess.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
But what if it only affects the kernel. What can the kernel do that would require more than 8 cores? Some heavy IO on bunch of NVMe drives? Kernel NFS and SMB daemons would probably be bottlenecked by the network first.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How could it only affect the kernel? You mean that tasks making a syscall or triggering a fault would be rescheduled to one of the 8 cores if they were outside them in userspace? What happens to the processes that were already running there?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Saukkis posted:

But what if it only affects the kernel. What can the kernel do that would require more than 8 cores? Some heavy IO on bunch of NVMe drives? Kernel NFS and SMB daemons would probably be bottlenecked by the network first.

This affects the scheduler, the kernel is the one choosing which userspace threads run and how.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Subjunctive posted:

How could it only affect the kernel? You mean that tasks making a syscall or triggering a fault would be rescheduled to one of the 8 cores if they were outside them in userspace? What happens to the processes that were already running there?

In what kind of situation would the kernel need more than 800% of CPU power? That's how the title sounds the writer imagined the issue. Similar to how games can often effectively use only few cores, but they can still bounce around all the cores.

I see all the time situations where 'top' shows a process using hundreds or thousands of % of CPU, but it's always python, R or some other random process, never kernel. I hardly ever see kernel threads using noticeable amount of CPU.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

zhar posted:

If you decide to throw everything you're installing in a distrobox that can't be in a flatpak make sure to setup an auto-upgrade timer.

Or if you build from source the distrobox git repo has a distrobox-assemble tool that's a little more robust than the current packaged version. You can define which bins or apps to export to the host to make it an entirely declarative config file and just have a systemd service set on a timer to rebuild your containers instead of updating them.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Saukkis posted:

In what kind of situation would the kernel need more than 800% of CPU power? That's how the title sounds the writer imagined the issue. Similar to how games can often effectively use only few cores, but they can still bounce around all the cores.

I see all the time situations where 'top' shows a process using hundreds or thousands of % of CPU, but it's always python, R or some other random process, never kernel. I hardly ever see kernel threads using noticeable amount of CPU.

Have you never seen those 64+ Python or R threads all fight over write access to the same memory? The syscalls for synchronization result in spending like 4000%+ of CPU time in the kernel, you get an htop full of red.

You can do this super easily with R code that multiplies a lot of small matrices and the default OpenBLAS settings, which will spawn 1 thread per hardware thread and then have them all fight. It sucks. The OpenBLAS project gets GitHub issues raised about it all the time, and sheepishly say that the original development was done with zero regard for thread safety.

zhar
May 3, 2019

ziasquinn posted:

honestly I just wasn't fully utilizing the environment and knew that despite being rolling, it is always going to lag behind the one-and-holy arch.

a little nagging feeling, i guess.

That's fair I think what has kept me off nixos is the feeling it's a little much for what I actually need

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you decide to throw everything you're installing in a distrobox that can't be in a flatpak make sure to setup an auto-upgrade timer.

Or if you build from source the distrobox git repo has a distrobox-assemble tool that's a little more robust than the current packaged version. You can define which bins or apps to export to the host to make it an entirely declarative config file and just have a systemd service set on a timer to rebuild your containers instead of updating them.

Thanks this is something I would have overlooked for sure

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

But the kernel does work on behalf of userspace. When you make a syscall the kernel does a bunch of stuff in the context of that process. “kernel threads” are just processes (task_structs or similar) that don’t have a userspace context set up—most of the work that the kernel does is not by kswapd or kworker or whatever the current ones are.

The kernel isn’t a separate process that has threads, like a normal program creates with pthread_whatever. It’s just a privileged memory mapping, so code loaded there can do all the ring 0 stuff and is protected from the ring 3 savages. when a process makes a system call, it’s calling the kernel like in would call a library, in the same thread of execution. It’s not messaging another process that’s accounted-for separately (though some monitoring tools do split CPU time between kernel and user contexts).

So what could a kernel do to saturate 8 cores? If it weren’t for internal lock contention you could probably have the kernel suck up a lot of time if you slammed it with mapping changes or SYSV IPC or read/wrote in a tight loop from /sys.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

All right, I'll wait for the smoke to clear on the rebuttal articles before reading further,
It's been a thing for a while now that grad students post "bug fixes" on LKML that don't actually fix any bug but rather illustrate their fundamental misunderstanding of the code. It's basically chaff.

These clickbait articles are the next level of that. Soon it will be YouTube videos, then YouTube rebuttals, and apologies, etc.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully we get some kernel mailing list reaction videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It happens in the security world too. Young bucks trying get their name out there make a mountain of a molehill.

Sometimes it works, usually it doesn't. Depends on which news sites fall for it.