Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I believe that’s a deer mouse yeah: short, big head compared to body, big eyes, white underneath are the criteria I use.

Edit: they’re supposed to be incidental house intruders, i.e., they come inside foraging or looking for weather shelter, rather than shacking up in the walls the way house mice do.

What I’ve found is they’re also pretty poo poo at moving around a house compared to a house mouse so they tend to get stuck like you’re seeing here.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

Always nice to see cats doing their job for once

Preach it. I'll have flies and stuff buzzing around the house and all three lazy little buggers just ignore it. I can hear it, I know you three can hear it. Do your job!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm pretty sure I have a mouse. My terrier has been staring and snuffling intently at the under part of our oven.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

the yeti posted:

I believe that’s a deer mouse yeah: short, big head compared to body, big eyes, white underneath are the criteria I use.

Edit: they’re supposed to be incidental house intruders, i.e., they come inside foraging or looking for weather shelter, rather than shacking up in the walls the way house mice do.

What I’ve found is they’re also pretty poo poo at moving around a house compared to a house mouse so they tend to get stuck like you’re seeing here.
they are also considerably larger and stronger than house mice, so can cause significantly more damage in general but especially if they set up a nest. Also the disease thing. Don't wait on dealing with deer mice, get them out of your house asap any way necessary.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Alterian posted:

I'm pretty sure I have a mouse. My terrier has been staring and snuffling intently at the under part of our oven.

Or there’s an old piece of food under there, based on my terrier experience

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Captain Invictus posted:

they are also considerably larger and stronger than house mice, so can cause significantly more damage in general but especially if they set up a nest. Also the disease thing. Don't wait on dealing with deer mice, get them out of your house asap any way necessary.

The ones I've trapped are much smaller than house mice but of course I don't have any way to figure out what age group of individuals i'm finding.

To be clear though my incidental intruder comment wasn't meant to suggest you just leave them be, absolutely trap the gently caress out of them, they can carry Hantavirus and will poo poo in your food and chew things just like house mice.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Red Wattle Birds are a pretty common sight around my area. They're... not very musical, and have a bit of a reputation for bullying smaller honeyeaters, but I feel that they are underappreciated.

They have this interesting plumage where the central vane of their feathers are white, with the margins fading to brown which I find quite beautiful.

Such grace!

It's also breeding season now, and there are several nests near my usual walking tracks - they tend to nest in dense shrubs so it's hard to get a good photo of their chicks - who are a bit cranky looking, like their parents.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Most excellent photos!~ Thank you!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
So I've spent a little bit of time making a few BirdNet PIs.

Following the instructions is easy and can get one up and running quickly on a RasPi 4b. All it takes is the computer itself and a cheap USB microphone.

I built 4 of them, one on 4b and 3 on Zero 2 Ws. The 4b Just Works. The Zero 2w version takes more work, and runs much slower. But if you've been able to install a PC game in the past 30 years, you can handle installing this on any of those.

The 4b I have out in the garage, with a microphone dangling out the window. It's ugly but it works.

This is the overall install of the Zero2w. I got a couple of pass through adapters and stuck them through the lids of some jars from the recycling bin.

Everything fits inside nicely and is pretty water resistant. I've left the Zero2w running in that jar for a long time and it stays cool, there's no cooling issue.

I threw together a couple of birdhouses (and bought a cheap one at Michaels), waterproofed them as best as possible (lots of silicone caulk), but left the bottoms open. Now the jars are inside with the microphone relatively protected. It should also prevent the sun from overheating them in the summer.

It gives a pretty decent idea of what's hanging around our yard and when.

The 3 Zero2w BirdNet setups will being going out as Christmas gifts this year. Hopefully it'll make some people happy.

St_Ides fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 12, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, that's really cool. I haven't seen an analytical setup like that, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised that it exists.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
There’s a commercial option called Haikubox that’s $400usd plus a subscription. And Birdweather did a kickstarter and IndieGoGo for the PUC, but that’s $200usd and not released yet.

An RPI Zero 2w is less than $20usd, a good-enough microphone can be had for $2-$10, and an enclosure can be made out of literal trash (like mine). No subscription.

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
A suave Saturniid moth, Syntherata janetta

The wingspan is at least 3 inches (80mm)

Gecko stalking its next meal

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

not mine but i felt i needed to share it

LOOK AT HIS POSSUM CRONCH ON AN APPLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISUQc0wROTo

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Thank goodness for modern technology so J could know for sure who munched on my decorative halloween thanksgiving pumpkins.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
look out, a spider!!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Christ, that spider - the size of it - made my brain vapor lock, until I scrolled down.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Mozi posted:

look out, a spider!!

Yep! It's spider season here in California. If you're near the Sierra foothills you'll see them trundling around looking for mates. Here's one I almost ran over a couple days ago. They're fairly docile and you can get close to them.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Those tarantulas are genus Aphonopelma I believe, but I don’t know the species v well as nearly all the US species are shades of dirt colored.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

raspurtin posted:

Yep! It's spider season here in California. If you're near the Sierra foothills you'll see them trundling around looking for mates. Here's one I almost ran over a couple days ago. They're fairly docile and you can get close to them.

Great spider

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Thank goodness for modern technology so J could know for sure who munched on my decorative halloween thanksgiving pumpkins.

Chonky.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

This dude has been scaring my chickens.

Cooper's hawk maybe? I'm in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 17, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Who was this hiding behind my weights in central Alabama? Orbweaver or cobweb spider of some kind perhaps. I sent them on their way outside.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

False black widow.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shifty Nipples posted:

This dude has been scaring my chickens.

Cooper's hawk maybe? I'm in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.

Looks like a red-tail to me. Though I tend to assume any hawk I see is a red-tail unless directly proven otherwise.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I’d vote young Cooper’s, but it would be cool to see more of the legs and tail

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I’d vote young Cooper’s, but it would be cool to see more of the legs and tail

Silver Falcon posted:

Looks like a red-tail to me. Though I tend to assume any hawk I see is a red-tail unless directly proven otherwise.

It has dark/light banding on its tail.

e: I should have gone to allaboutbirds.org, it's an immature Cooper's hawk

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Coopers_Hawk/photo-gallery/305687211

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 19, 2023

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Who was this hiding behind my weights in central Alabama? Orbweaver or cobweb spider of some kind perhaps. I sent them on their way outside.

I believe that is a bro. There is one that rode inside on me when it was a baby, I brushed it off in the bathroom when I noticed it, it has now set up above my mirror. It’s mom set up on the porch swing, which is how it got on me, I think.

McGavin posted:

False black widow.

What they said.

quote:

Steatoda grossa, commonly known as the cupboard spider, the dark comb-footed spider, the brown house spider, or the false widow or false black widow, is a common species of spider in the genus Steatoda

Bored fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah. I'd normally let them stay, but if she/he hangs around my weights they will get smooshed and I'll have spider guts on my weights.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It's a she.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

False widow means she just tells people her husband is dead, while he's actually just at home watching TV, right?

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

BonHair posted:

False widow means she just tells people her husband is dead, while he's actually just at home watching TV, right?

Exactly. She goes out to bars and tells others that because she likes collecting phone numbers. It makes her feel pretty. But she doesn’t go any further because she’s not a complete jerk.

Bored fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 19, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

No idea what this is. I am in NC. Notice something else is watching it on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Gnwcv5u-A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
looks very bobcat-ey.

edit: wait, it doesn't look very big, maybe just a regular cat who's lost its tail

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah I'm gonna go with a bob-tailed housecat! It's a little hard to judge scale but I think that's probably all it is. Could be a younger bobcat, though.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We do have bobcats around. I live on a 1.5 acre wooded lot with a creek running through it. I have a trail cam set up in the back and I've caught racoons, possums, foxes, coyotes, but never a bobcat. This is just our house camera.

Edit: Not the greatest, but size comparison of a regular cat caught with the same camera.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 20, 2023

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I think it's just a kitty.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Came home from work and found this guy hanging out next to the light switch in the living room:

I'll let him stay inside for now since it is currently -14°C outside.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wife spotted an albino squirrel today.

These are usually grey and are everywhere in the DC metro area.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cartoon Man posted:

Wife spotted an albino squirrel today.

These are usually grey and are everywhere in the DC metro area.
Lots of black squirrels too. That variety has gradually been growing in proportion to the grey ones since being introduced in the National Mall by Teddy Roosevelt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrelm
Edit: I mean they’re still nowhere near as interesting as an albino squirrel. That’s a really cool find!

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat posts.txt
Oct 16, 2023

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...a9d651df9d89a7&

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...b67ba5340329ad&

Anoles still very active in GA!