Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pakled posted:

The problem is, by the time you get to that point, you're the largest economy in the world by far, and the AI isn't good enough at the game to generate enough demand to make exports anything more than a drop in the bucket compared to your domestic consumption of anything. I don't think I've ever had a game where exports were a significant aspect of my economy beyond the early game.

In my USA game I have Free Trade enabled and have discovered you can do some real cool poo poo with it. I spam out export routes for anything that gets overproduced because it's a side effect good from what I really want (like porcelain from glass). We're shipping thousands of porcelain to Qing.

Other countries are buying up stuff that in theory I'd rather keep like Engines, but even then I don't mind too much because I just keep building the factories.

Russia imposed Open Market on Japan, so I looked at the Japanese Market and sent them export routes for everything expensive. Instantly that got me enough trade volume to get a trade agreement on them and soon I'll probably be able to bring them into my customs union, which at this point is most of the western hemisphere. I can become the #1 trade partner for basically anyone on the planet and show them the light of Coca-Cola and American steel.

Business is booming but the population is not. I'm coaxing 120M GDP out of just 30M pops. We have the highest standard of living in the world and zero migration controls please just come live here I'm begging you. Labor is so valuable that the green automation production methods are actually profitable for a lot of industries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Missed that there was a DD today and a hot fix https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-dev-diary-101-1-5-post-release-update.1610613/

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Can someone explain how exactly trade works? Feels like every time I try to set up a route it's just trading less than 10 units and never grows. I usually play outside of Europe but I've got access to America, France, England, and Prussia for trading

A trade route will grow if the productivity after growing would be greater than $8. This includes the cost of tariffs, so lowering tariffs can sometimes make them cross the threshold.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Notably the game seems to be free to play for the weekend as of now, so if you're interested nows the time to jump in

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Also for those on the fence, Vic3 is free to play the whole weekend, starting now!

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
So they removed attack and defend from the armies now, can you setup a defense by marking your border states as strategic objectives now, is that how it’s supposed to work?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I haven't played since release, but I'm curious to give the game another shot with all the recent updates. I've completely forgotten how to play the game since then. I'm guessing I know the answer to this question ("no"), but I wanted to ask – have the tutorial journal entries have been updated to reflect how the game has changed?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

tima posted:

So they removed attack and defend from the armies now, can you setup a defense by marking your border states as strategic objectives now, is that how it’s supposed to work?

You can make purely defensive armies by setting all their generals to defend. If you have at least one offensive general in an army then the entire army will engage in offense but the one guy set to attack will be far more likely to be chosen (I think?).

^ E: I think the tutorials are mostly updated but some of the new war stuff isn't.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
You can also defend by having a mobilized army in the relevant HQ without a leader, though I can't imagine many uses for this given how "cheap" it is to just hand out stars. Maybe in true lategame hellwar where stacks of 200 or 300 are a thing and that's fifteen failsons or a few new field marshals.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I just picked this up the other day, and apparently there was a hotfix today? The game is warning me that my save was created on an older version of the game.

Please tell me I don't have to restart every time they drop a patch :psyduck:

It's a "may not work quite right" warning, not a "won't work" warning. There isn't much in new content, just engine tweaks, so it probably doesn't mean anything; if you do have trouble 1.5.7 rollback is in the Steam betas function.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 16, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I just picked this up the other day, and apparently there was a hotfix today? The game is warning me that my save was created on an older version of the game.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

it's a warning, not a cop, what's the worst that could happen? just try it and see, it's probably fine.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tima posted:

Yeah, it took me a while to find that attack and defend was a per-general order, not an army order.

It's very useful! Keep your stalwart defender general on defense, and your cruel psychopath on attack, all in the same army! If you have a huge army and a huge front- just slap more commanders in there set the appropriate ones to attack and don't worry about it, they'll all attack at once.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Chikimiki posted:

Also for those on the fence, Vic3 is free to play the whole weekend, starting now!

Came into this thread since I noticed the free weekend; Vicky3 is one of those games I've been on the fence about for awhile. What's a good nation to start as to learn the game? I played (a little) Vicky 1 so I'm not going in completely blind but assume the mechanics will be almost completely new to me, so something relatively basic would be good.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Pick a country you don't like and run them into the ground! With this patch, Persia is a pretty decent one because they have a massive amount of resources to work with. Belgium is pretty strong as well. Japan was one of my first games and did a lot to teach me the game, though it's a bit tough. It has all the resources and population you need, and you have to build an entire economy from scratch because you can't engage in trade.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bremen posted:

Came into this thread since I noticed the free weekend; Vicky3 is one of those games I've been on the fence about for awhile. What's a good nation to start as to learn the game? I played (a little) Vicky 1 so I'm not going in completely blind but assume the mechanics will be almost completely new to me, so something relatively basic would be good.

after the most recent patch the in-game Learn the Game system suggests New Granada which is probably fine

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

a few impressions - war is good now. I still haven't quite grasped how to make up armies and so on, but it is very workable and nice to fiddle with. In comparison pre-patch I avoided war like the plague, now when the landowners revolt I almost hope they get to 100% quickly so I can murder them all :getin:

the local prices mess with my head big time. guess I have to get used to double-checking buildings output vs the market at large in buy and sell orders.

something weird happened with my run as Two Sicilies, I hired Mazzini to try and get rid of the landowners in charge quickly, built a few universities, bolstered the intelligentsia, all the usual stuff then went for changing to presidential republic. Halfway through the process the landowners revolt, had a nice little brawl with them and won, then passed the law... but it installed a military dictatorship with the old king that became a general somehow (but not on any of my armies) and no elections or anything. Is it because autocracy was still in place? I had to also pass census suffrage to finally get a republic, have elections and make a proper government. luckily Mazzini loves both of those laws.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 16, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

FPyat posted:

It's only 1870 and the new patch plays at about half the speed the old version did.

yeah my biggest problem with the game was the speed and it keeps getting slower

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah my biggest problem with the game was the speed and it keeps getting slower
That's actually your brain getting faster from playing a game for geniuses.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Trying to theory-craft around the new military changes. Input would be appreciated.

So: now armies can be composed from three different categories of battalion- infantry, artillery and cavalry- each having different properties. The question is, what are the optimal ratios for this composition?

First, unit stats:

pre:
Infantry

┌────────────┬──────┬─────────┬─────────┬─────────────┬─────────────┬────────┐
│ Type       │ Tech │ Offence │ Defence │ Morale Loss │ Devastation │ Upkeep │
├────────────┼──────┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼─────────────┼────────┤
│ Irregular  │ 0    │ 10      │ 10      │ 15          │             │ £0     │
│ Line       │ 1+2  │ 20      │ 25      │ 10          │             │ £60    │
│ Skirmish   │ 2    │ 25      │ 35      │ 10          │             │ £110   │
│ Trench     │ 4    │ 30      │ 40      │ 8           │             │ £160   │
│ Squad      │ 5    │ 40      │ 50      │ 6           │             │ £240   │
│ Mechanised │ 5+3  │ 50      │ 60      │ 4           │ 10%         │ £410   │
└────────────┴──────┴─────────┴─────────┴─────────────┴─────────────┴────────┘

Artillery

┌────────────┬──────┬─────────┬─────────┬─────────────┬───────────────┬───────────┬─────────────┬────────┐
│ Type       │ Tech │ Offence │ Defence │ Morale Loss │ Morale Damage │ Kill Rate │ Devastation │ Upkeep │
├────────────┼──────┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼───────────────┼───────────┼─────────────┼────────┤
│ Cannon     │ 1+2  │ 25      │ 10      │ 10          │               │ 10%       │ 10%         │ £35    │
├────────────┼──────┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼───────────────┼───────────┼─────────────┼────────┤
│ Mobile     │ 1+5  │ 35      │ 20      │ 8           │               │ 20%       │ 15%         │ £70    │
│ Shrapnel   │ 3    │ 45      │ 25      │ 6           │               │ 30%       │ 15%         │ £120   │
│ Siege      │ 4    │ 55      │ 30      │ 6           │               │ 25%       │ 20%         │ £220   │
│ Heavy Tank │ 5+3  │ 70      │ 35      │ 4           │ 15%           │ 25%       │ 20%         │ £730   │
└────────────┴──────┴─────────┴─────────┴─────────────┴───────────────┴───────────┴─────────────┴────────┘

Cavalry

┌────────────┬──────┬─────────┬─────────┬─────────────┬───────────┬────────────┬────────┐
│ Type       │ Tech │ Offence │ Defence │ Morale Loss │ Kill Rate │ Occupation │ Upkeep │
├────────────┼──────┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼───────────┼────────────┼────────┤
│ Hussars    │ 1    │ 15      │ 15      │ 10          │           │            │ £20    │
├────────────┼──────┼─────────┼─────────┼─────────────┼───────────┼────────────┼────────┤
│ Dragoons   │ 1    │ 20      │ 25      │ 10          │           │ 30%        │ £160   │
│ Cuirassers │ 1    │ 25      │ 20      │ 6           │           │ 30%        │ £200   │
│ Lancers    │ 1    │ 30      │ 15      │ 10 +5%      │ 5%        │ 30%        │ £160   │
│ Light Tank │ 5+3  │ 45      │ 45      │ 4           │           │ 30%        │ £490   │
└────────────┴──────┴─────────┴─────────┴─────────────┴───────────┴────────────┴────────┘
"Tech" here indicates the tier of the technology that unlocks the unit type; values given with a +X after them indicate that the technology has X prerequisite technologies of that tier. Irregular infantry do not require any technology to unlock.

"Upkeep" is the cost of upkeep goods at their default values, and does not include wages.

As for the combat stats, as best I can tell:

• Offence is the combat power of units on the offensive (i.e. attacking into enemy territory). I do not know if this is given on a linear scale or an exponential one.
  • Defence is the combat power of units on the defensive (i.e. defending against attacks into friendly territory). Again, I don't know what sort of scale these values are on- but it's almost certainly the same one as offence.
  • Morale loss, I am fairly certain, is the rate at which the unit loses morale when fighting. I am not certain what the percentile modifier to this listed on lancers does- increase the rate for that battalion? For the entire army? If the former, I don't see any reason it couldn't just be rolled into the flat rate. If it's the latter- that's terrifying? Would it be 5% per battalion or scaled by the proportion of the army they make up?
  • Morale damage is a multiplier to the morale damage done by the battalion. That's pretty straightforward, but I don't know how the base morale damage is calculated- flat rate? Scaled by casualties? Proportional to the target's morale loss rate? (Are morale loss and morale damage two separate things that get added together or the same thing?)
  • Kill rate increases the proportion of casualties inflicted that are fatal. That's nice and straightforward, but I have no idea how large an impact it has on combat ability.
  • I think Occupation modifiers are the same thing as province captured modifiers, but the game refuses to tell me. I hope it is, because I'm inclined to weight those highly (winning battles but failing to take territory sucks rear end) and I don't see a lot of compelling reasons to take cav otherwise. I'm also not sure how this modifier is applied. Scaled by the proportion of the unit type in the army?
  • Devastation is the amount of devastation inflicted on provinces by combat. That's good when you're fighting on enemy territory, bad when you're fighting at home- I think it makes sense to be neutral on it, especially as is mostly a function of tech level.

I didn't read any of the DDs surrounding these changes, so maybe some of this was explained in those?

On top of all of this, there's also a organisation penalty applied (as a reduction to max org) if the total number of cavalry and artillery battalions (combined, not per-category) exceeds the number of infantry battalions in the army.

Now some initial conclusions:

• Infantry have the best defence values at every tech level from Line Infantry onwards. If we can finagle it, we want to be defending with infantry exclusively. That might point to all-infantry armies on permanent defence orders, HOI style.
  • Artillery have the best offence values at every tech level from Mobile Artillery onwards. We want to be attacking with as much artillery as possible. Early artillery is also surprisingly cheap- much cheaper than cavalry for most of the game.
  • Cavalry is... weird. You get four options all from the same tech (the first tech in the tree), and in true Paradox fashion, a lot of the options are... dubious. Hussars are at least cheap, and strictly superior to Irregular Infantry, so there's scope there for poor, low-tech uncivs to bulk up their armies with those. Dragoons are Line Infantry with an occupation modifier. That's good, if occupation modifiers do anything of value. They also cost nearly three times as much as Line Infantry (before wages). That's bad! Lancers have the highest attack, but it's less than Mobile Artillery (which are, again, cheaper), and they have that weird percentile modifier to morale loss. Seems bad, hoss. Cuirassers to be the best option here- a little more expensive, true, but they have the best morale loss rate you're going to see for a while. If the occupation modifier is worth anything, I'd pick Cuirassers to get it from.
  • If Cuirassers make sense, I'm not sure how long they make sense for. Maybe until Trench Infantry? But even at tech 3 they're starting to look like a liability compared to more Shrapnel Artillery.
  • Once you hit the end of the tech tree and invent tanks, upkeep costs shoot way the gently caress up. That's not news, though look at that price tag on Heavy Tanks. loving oof. At this point, Light Tanks are barely more expensive than Infantry... but they're also strictly inferior to Mechanised Infantry, so again the question is how much do you value that mysterious occupation modifier.

Altogether, I think this means you want a HOI-style split of defence armies and offence armies, the former being all-inf, and the latter being a 1:1 inf:art split, except at very low tech levels where you don't have artillery, in which case it's 1:1 inf:Cuirassers or inf:Hussars if you're too poor for that. If occupation is worth anything then maybe you mix a handful of cav in, but not between Shrapnel Artillery and Tanks.

Does that make sense?

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 16, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It is kinda funny that artillery is the offense weapon given that it more than anything is what caused the ww1 stalemate

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
The trailer they released for the free to play weekend is sick as hell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeR_wDxxhCE&t=3s

Too bad I don't have a single person in my life that I can imagine enjoying this game so I only have you goons to share it with....

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Trying to theory-craft around the new military changes. Input would be appreciated.

So: now armies can be composed from three different categories of battalion- infantry, artillery and cavalry- each having different properties. The question is, what are the optimal ratios for this composition?

:words:
I have nothing to add about the specific data you're dealing with I just wanted to say I really appreciate that someone is working this out! I hope a project like this can lead to something practical and helpful that can be communicated to folks who can't get into the particulars.

But besides praising your initiative, I have to say- this is my least favorite thing about this update (which I generally quite like). Why the heck are we back in the morass of choosing our army composition? Weren't we beyond that? The system is abstract and complicated but obviously must have a "solution" that I am not interested in personally finding out. Someone else will figure out the optimal composition (or compositions for a couple cases), and I'll slavishly make all my armies like that and have an advantage and for what? What does this military tweaking add to the game?

This is just a drat ship designer, and I strongly disagree with this being in a game about economics and politics at all.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
With army composition is there an “optimal “ tech jumps where you get an edge against similar army size? Asking for a Prussia .

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm probably missing some basic wisdom on this, but the upgrade for Rail Transportation in mines is all red numbers. Is it secretly GOOD to lay off thousands of laborers and tank Weekly Balance by $10k?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I'm probably missing some basic wisdom on this, but the upgrade for Rail Transportation in mines is all red numbers. Is it secretly GOOD to lay off thousands of laborers and tank Weekly Balance by $10k?

If you don't have the laborers in the first place, or they're demanding 'livable' wages, it's pretty useful, and it can be good to force the mines to generate demand for the railways to keep the costs of infrastructure lower.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

TorakFade posted:

Halfway through the process the landowners revolt, had a nice little brawl with them and won, then passed the law... but it installed a military dictatorship with the old king that became a general somehow (but not on any of my armies) and no elections or anything. Is it because autocracy was still in place?

That is exactly what happened, yes. The game does model i.e. juntas and presidential dictatorships which may be theoretically democratic and has a system of elections but in practice is essentially rule by one man or a few. I guess Mazzini proved to be your Cincinnatus!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

[*]I think Occupation modifiers are the same thing as province captured modifiers, but the game refuses to tell me. I hope it is, because I'm inclined to weight those highly (winning battles but failing to take territory sucks rear end) and I don't see a lot of compelling reasons to take cav otherwise. I'm also not sure how this modifier is applied. Scaled by the proportion of the unit type in the army?

I seem to recall that occupation does indeed directly affect how many provinces are captured and that this is explicitly part of cavalry's raison d'etre in Victoria 3, being the light fast picker-uppers.

Eiba posted:

But besides praising your initiative, I have to say- this is my least favorite thing about this update (which I generally quite like). Why the heck are we back in the morass of choosing our army composition? Weren't we beyond that? The system is abstract and complicated but obviously must have a "solution" that I am not interested in personally finding out. Someone else will figure out the optimal composition (or compositions for a couple cases), and I'll slavishly make all my armies like that and have an advantage and for what? What does this military tweaking add to the game?

This is just a drat ship designer, and I strongly disagree with this being in a game about economics and politics at all.

I actually sorta like it myself because for certain countries bringing your military up to speed and focusing your efforts around a special modernized cadre as opposed to your usual premodern forces was an important part of the modernization process, and of course in so doing you'd want to pick the right generals to man such an important force - which is how you might end up with, say, the Beiyang Army and its effects on Chinese politics past the Qing. Plus while creating a shiny new modern force tricked out in all the bells and whistles that you can only afford thanks to your newly burgeoning economy does give me a certain warm and fuzzy feeling, which I didn't really get in quite the same way as the older style of "change all the barracks to newest unit type once you can afford it, job done, that's a good 'un."

That being said I can see how Western countries might feel a bit more samey with an optimal upgrade path and army build.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 17, 2023

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Keep in mind that transportation as a local good means that railways in resource extraction provinces can be unprofitable because there's not enough pops buying train tickets. This way you can set the mines to using the transportation generated by the railways that you need to build for infrastructure. On the other hand if you have an abundance of cheap labor leave it as is. The proles will enjoy their jobs as a cart pusher more than they'll enjoy starving to death.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

This game is extremely dense and unintuitive. Which is why I love Paradox games for some reason.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Keep in mind that transportation as a local good means that railways in resource extraction provinces can be unprofitable because there's not enough pops buying train tickets. This way you can set the mines to using the transportation generated by the railways that you need to build for infrastructure. On the other hand if you have an abundance of cheap labor leave it as is. The proles will enjoy their jobs as a cart pusher more than they'll enjoy starving to death.

Yeah even before local pricing I did a lot of transport automation for exactly this reason. Plus extraction jobs usually suck so it's not a huge loss

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The changes to diplomacy and war are aces but ooof the AI seems to have regressed bad on industrialization

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
im not enthused about there just being an ideal army comp we're waiting to work out. i really hope there's some decisions we get out of the ultimate findings

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Eiba posted:

I have nothing to add about the specific data you're dealing with I just wanted to say I really appreciate that someone is working this out! I hope a project like this can lead to something practical and helpful that can be communicated to folks who can't get into the particulars.

agreed. I all but groaned out loud when I realized we'd partially regressed back to the victoria 2 4-1-5 style stacks or whatever the gently caress, especially without templates or anything

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fuligin posted:

The changes to diplomacy and war are aces but ooof the AI seems to have regressed bad on industrialization

Yeah like I as a human are bad enough at it, I'm sure the AI is gonna be even worse

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

It is kinda funny that artillery is the offense weapon given that it more than anything is what caused the ww1 stalemate

Arguably the machine gun was the root cause, as it required heavy artillery to defeat, which made it fairly easy to advance but impossible to advance far -- the artillery being fairly immobile. So the stalemate was the result of trading the same ground back and forth in a series of bloody counterattacks. Strongly recommend this piece and its followup https://acoup.blog/2021/09/17/collections-no-mans-land-part-i-the-trench-stalemate/.

Perhaps siege (and shrapnel?) artillery should have an occupation speed penalty.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I like the new war stuff. Mechanically I think the army composition thing is in a good place, it's not that fiddly and there seems to be at least one interesting choice already (more artillery to cause casualties or more cavalry to occupy faster). It's not giving me the same vibes as the designer spam in HOI4. I don't think it's a terrible thing that someone will figure out an optimal composition, that happens in literally every game.

Fleet comp is weirder since you can only have heavy and light ships. Seems like you should just build as many of each that you can.

I think they can improve a lot in the UX. I would like an army and fleet template system for sure, I hope it's one of the first things they add. On top of that, I would like to have an army automatically queue up enough barracks in random states. Or maybe I build the barracks first to get a unit capacity number and then armies count towards that number. Something to eliminate the tedious process where you click an army, click infantry, click 24 times on various states, click artillery, etc, then do it again for 20 armies.

Also you should be able to raise a purely conscript army, currently it seems like you need to put at least 1 regular battalion in there before the game will let you put in conscripts. No gameplay reason, I just think it would be fun to RP a country with no standing army but a lot of reservists.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it a bug or something that half the time when I click a Law event that's supposed to give me a bonus to Success that...nothing happens? It's not added to the total.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question regarding missing qualifications warning:

1) Does a building need each tier of employables for a building need to be completely filled before it starts filling up another tier? ie. A logging camp needs 500 machinists, 4000 laborers, and 100 capitalists to run. If upgraded to a level 2 logging camp, can you employ 8k laborers right from the getgo or do you need 500 machinists and 100 capitalists in place before they start hiring the second set of 4k laborers?

2) If the warning says I don't have enough qualifications to employ capitalists or whatever, does that mean I'm actually fine with building the industry because logically the employed people will be able to rank up towards capitalists from their newfound wealth as workers?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I'm really enjoying the mechanics of 1.5, but the gamespeed is just too slow. The natural flow of problem > solution > new problem gets broken when the 'solution' phase involves waiting around watching days crawl by for half an hour at a time.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Not right away, no, but it's usually good later. Production method upgrades (especially the green ones) are tradeoffs. Rather than being clearly better, they allow you to better adapt to different situations. Generally, you shouldn't turn them on right away - instead, wait for when they're clearly a good option that helps you out.

The Rail Transportation upgrade gives you the option to replace part of your labor force with Transportation. There's various reasons you might want to do that. For example:
  1. If wages are high and Transportation is cheap, then it might actually save you some money by replacing some of those expensive workers with cheap trains. Usually this happens later in the game when you've instituted a healthy minimum wage and built a bunch of Railways for infrastructure
  2. If you have a labor shortage in the state and desperately need to free up some more workers for some other, more profitable factory, turning this on can free up tens of thousands of laborers for your other buildings to hire. It can sometimes be worth taking a slight hit to your profitability at one building to send a ton of workers to a building that's way more profitable. This comes up a lot later in the game when you're finally getting your economy really rolling, only to find that you've run out of workers to feed into the factories.
  3. If your Railways are unprofitable because there isn't enough demand for Transportation. Turning on the Rail Transportation PMs on a bunch of buildings can use up enough Transportation to bring your Railways back into the green. It can be worth sacrificing a bit of profit at a moderately profitable building in order to avoid having to put expensive subsidies on your Railways.
  4. Rail Transportation only reduces the number of Laborers working at a building, it doesn't touch the other pop types working there. Since occupation is a big influence on a pop's political behavior, reducing your ratio of Laborers to other pop types might be useful if you're up to some kind of political hijinks.

The same goes for the other green PMs, like Steam Donkeys or Harvesting Tools, except that they consume more important industrial resources (such as Coal or Tools) so they tend to be more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

VostokProgram posted:

I like the new war stuff. Mechanically I think the army composition thing is in a good place, it's not that fiddly and there seems to be at least one interesting choice already (more artillery to cause casualties or more cavalry to occupy faster). It's not giving me the same vibes as the designer spam in HOI4. I don't think it's a terrible thing that someone will figure out an optimal composition, that happens in literally every game.
maybe every paradox game but many, many strategy games are able to have an interesting set of tradeoffs for things like "what units do i want in my army"