Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
spiderman is the guy that swings on webs and beats up bad guys
What the hell are you guys talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This is going to be a tad specific but what other options do I have in terms of roguelike or run-based shooters where you have both weapons and magic like in Gunfire Reborn or, for lack of a better example, Prey or Bioshock 2? I was watching some Witchfire gameplay (Epic-exclusive EA title) and I got a hankering for that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

spiderman is the guy that swings on webs and beats up bad guys
What the hell are you guys talking about

Stan Lee's first idea was to name him Hot-Dog-Man. Because he likes hot dogs.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ErrEff posted:

Stan Lee's first idea was to name him Hot-Dog-Man. Because he likes hot dogs.

The Russian mutiny guy???

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does Spider hyphen Man still have radioactive blood?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Azran posted:

This is going to be a tad specific but what other options do I have in terms of roguelike or run-based shooters where you have both weapons and magic like in Gunfire Reborn or, for lack of a better example, Prey or Bioshock 2? I was watching some Witchfire gameplay (Epic-exclusive EA title) and I got a hankering for that.

I guess the question is does it have to be strictly Magic or just guns + active abilities? Roboquest hit 1.0 and it's got that, though the "magic" is more stuff like rockets and lasers. :v: There's also an unlockable character that's a slightly more wizard-y elementalist type.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Scalding Coffee posted:

buddy,

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yep, at least in the main universe. I think everything outside of that has gone over to Genetically Engineered Spider Bite

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXr8hN6UZXE

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Spider man doesn’t have radioactive blood but in one universe he has radioactive cum

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Question that might as well go here since I can't find a better thread for it:

"Star Ocean - The Second Story R" just recently came out, and its a (2nd) remake of the 2nd Star Ocean game? Was there a (2nd) remake of the 1st game? Or is the most modern version of that still the PSP port released alongside the first remake of SO2?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Annath posted:

Question that might as well go here since I can't find a better thread for it:

"Star Ocean - The Second Story R" just recently came out, and its a (2nd) remake of the 2nd Star Ocean game? Was there a (2nd) remake of the 1st game? Or is the most modern version of that still the PSP port released alongside the first remake of SO2?

"Star Ocean: First Departure" (the PSP remake of 1) got an updated port to Switch and PS4 called "Star Ocean: First Departure R", but that one was a much more minor update than Second Story R, I think it just adds some new voice acting and character portraits to the PSP port.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"An HD remaster of the PlayStation Portable version titled Star Ocean: First Departure R for the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 was announced on May 25, 2019 and was set for release later that year.[33] The new release features re-balanced game difficulty and increased world map movement speed[34] as well as the option to toggle between character portraits from the PSP version or re-drawn designs based on the Super Famicom version.[35] The English release allows the player to choose between English voices or Japanese audio from either the PSP version or re-recorded dialogue from the original Super Famicom voice actors.[36]"

So no second remake of the first game, just ports of the PSP version with additions but no big changes.

e;f,b

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Snake Maze posted:

"Star Ocean: First Departure" (the PSP remake of 1) got an updated port to Switch called "Star Ocean: First Departure R", but that one was a much more minor update than Second Story R, I think it just adds some new voice acting and character portraits to the PSP port.

Gotcha, so I can just play my PSP version and just pick up the (really awesome looking) new remake of 2.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Dredge DLC just released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2561440/DREDGE__The_Pale_Reach/

Price is OK-ish for what is just a new island but I found the base game to be pretty chill and enjoyable so I might check it out.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey what are all you goons' preferences regarding regenerating health vs. health pickups in your shooty games?

I know it can be a case-by-case thing but imagine YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONE

I like having non-regenerating health and health packs. It makes me feel like I have an advantage if I can get through an area without losing much health, but it also adds a ton of tension and changes how I approach something if I am going in with very little health.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think Far Cry's style where you have health bars and your health only regenerates to the top of your current health bar until you use a medkit or w/e is fairly interesting.

Too bad about everything else in those games these days

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Halo Reach had a good balance - regenerating shields but you needed medkit for your actual health bar

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I think classic Halo health was a good compromise that never properly took off for some reason.

Like if it's really down to a strict A or B I think I'd have to go with regenerating health. Not because I prefer it - I don't at all whatsoever! - but rather because medkit healing requires more thought put into the design of the game whereas it's a lot harder to gently caress up regenerating health.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 17, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

credburn posted:

Hey what are all you goons' preferences regarding regenerating health vs. health pickups in your shooty games?

I know it can be a case-by-case thing but imagine YOU HAD TO CHOOSE ONE

I like having non-regenerating health and health packs. It makes me feel like I have an advantage if I can get through an area without losing much health, but it also adds a ton of tension and changes how I approach something if I am going in with very little health.

I like health pickups, assuming the pickups spray out of enemies when you crack their skull open ala Doom Eternal or Shadow Warrior 3

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash Simulator's Back to the Future DLC is out

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hwurmp posted:

Hot diggity.
Its like the only game I keep installed after 100%ing it.
So relaxing

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hwurmp posted:

I... what?

Edit: o poo poo, it's real

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I guess the question is does it have to be strictly Magic or just guns + active abilities? Roboquest hit 1.0 and it's got that, though the "magic" is more stuff like rockets and lasers. :v: There's also an unlockable character that's a slightly more wizard-y elementalist type.

Oh yeah Roboquest is amazing, been playing it a lot over the week

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really hope that Warhammer40K DLC is still in the works, it's my most anticipated release

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
In games generally (don't play too many FPS specifically), regenerating health, because it allows you to get back up to having a fighting chance on your own, as opposed to being down to a sliver of health and hoping that your death or glory attack manages to work.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Azran posted:

There is a recent release literally named Wizard With A Gun, might be worth checking out.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150530/Wizard_with_a_Gun/

edit: oop i missed the part where you specifically said shooters, this isn't an fps

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

PowerWash BttF insists that the vehicles I am PowerWashing are mere movie props

this had god drat better just be the lead-up to a shocking twist

e: they do have the DeLorean drive right at you and do a time-travel after it's all clean so I guess I can forgive them

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 17, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Azran posted:

Deadlink kind of has this: not 'magic' per se but while your gun is in your right hand, you're chucking grenades, force pushing, and so on with your left hand. BPM might fit a bit as well. I haven't played them, but I think Ziggurat 2 and City of Brass might be a good match?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 17, 2023

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Azran posted:

Might be farther on the roguelike end of the spectrum than you're looking for, but Barony is a good first person roguelike with both weapons and magic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Regenerating health makes it so you need cover against enemies who exist to hit you into heartbeat health and spend a minute or two whittling them down. You must stop progressing because that guy exists to break momentum.
Give me pickups with a slight regeneration to it. Keeps it exciting in fights.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Azran posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/252630/Eldritch/

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Has any shooter ever done Dune style shields? The slow blade penetrates stuff would allow for a mix of mowing through waves of enemies while keeping an eye out for the things that are dangerous. Periodic boss fights where you have to get through their shields.

I vaguely recall there were other limitations (las guns turn them into nukes? Attract sand worms?) but the shield basics seem solid for a melee/ranged combo shooter.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has any shooter ever done Dune style shields? The slow blade penetrates stuff would allow for a mix of mowing through waves of enemies while keeping an eye out for the things that are dangerous. Periodic boss fights where you have to get through their shields.

I vaguely recall there were other limitations (las guns turn them into nukes? Attract sand worms?) but the shield basics seem solid for a melee/ranged combo shooter.

if they did some idiot would bring atomics and destroy the server every time

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean realistically Dune style shields are just closest to like a dodge/miss chance kind of build in a lot of RPG-ish shooters. Payday 2 is probably the biggest one I can think of, Warframe has a frame that kinda works that way. It's effectively invincibility until very suddenly it isn't. You could probably take the % chance out of it for more deliberate gameplay but I feel like unless you're just bad at it the end scenario would almost never come up and you'd effectively just be invulnerable.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

It's not a shooter, but closest I could think of is that the CRPG Underrail has shields that have to be set for certain frequencies: if it's a high-frequency shield, it will block bullets but let slow melee strikes through, and low-frequency does vice-versa. It's actually a bit more complicated than that as certain guns like pistols or crossbows can fire slower and thus require a mid-frequency shield, but you get the idea.

For another similar setting: in action games, particularly space fighters, it's usually lasers that are better are taking down shields while projectiles are better are taking down hulls, meaning you need to wear down their shields with lasers first and then finish them off with gatling guns to be efficient. In some other games, though, they might make the rules be the exact opposite: shields block lasers while letting projectiles through without issue (I think Star Wars games are like this at times?)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 17, 2023

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I bought an OLED Steam Deck about four hours ago and the purchase is still pending. Should I be worried?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Flashback 2 blows hard. It can join the XIII demake in my toilet.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Who could've thought that a sequel to a lovely "remake", that ruined everything good about the original, would also be a pile trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I forgot about the remake. Why can't there be a modern Flashback that isn't garbage? Someone recommend a good Flashback-like.