Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

waffle iron posted:

Being an ineffective nonprofit is much different from a fraudulent/unlawfully acting nonprofit. It's very embarrassing for him to not have dispersed a large portion of the holding, but not illegal. Doesn't sound like self dealing or self enrichment. At best we're talking about administrative action by the IRS to lose tax exempt status.

It's why these days everyone uses Tiltify because they immediately pass the donation to the affiliated nonprofit.

It's not "a large portion of the holding," it's any of it at all. He has not dispersed a single cent collected by the non-profit, over the course of 10 years. And how does the legality of this change if the foundation has been claiming that they've been dispensing these funds to charitable causes all this time when they haven't been at all? Is it really legal to accept donations while claiming that the money will go to specific causes, while not giving a single cent of that money to those specific causes for ten years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

I only know that name tangentially through Goldeneye speedrunning and cheating but what did he do now lmao

he was friends with rwhitegoose for awhile

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
I feel like his nonprofit doesn't even make much sense. It's a charity to give money to other charities. Even if they weren't pulling this poo poo, It's a middle man that just takes out expenses that would otherwise directly go to one of those recipients, meaning it's just reducing the total amount of donations that go toward the underlying cause. It makes no sense to use this instead of Tiltify or whatever if giving to other charities was ever really the goal.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jisforjosh posted:

I only know that name tangentially through Goldeneye speedrunning and cheating but what did he do now lmao

He's a racist from Queensland who is very adamant that "jap" is not a slur and harassed kevinddr off the internet amongst other things

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

Not legally. If the charity is being run legally, the funds are being held in an account owned by the nonprofit org; any interest earned goes into the account and is also owned by the nonprofit org, and any disbursements from the org's assets to external entities or individuals needs to be accounted for in the org's filings.

There's pretty much no legal way to get money out of a 501c3 without it showing up in the org's filings. Recordkeeping requirements for tax-exempt entities is pretty strict.
Who said anything about "legally" :v:

But to be clear I've no idea what he's actually and not accusing him of anything, do not sue for defamation.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

power crystals posted:

All their IRS filings say they're holding that money ($650k now!) as "Cash non-interest bearing" and they receive no money from interest. So is there a giant pallet of $100s in their house?

No, "Cash - Non-Interest Bearing" covers "cash on deposit in checking accounts, deposits in transit, change funds, petty cash funds, and any other non-interest-bearing account" (see the bottom of page 19). It's not cash in the literal sense of the having stacks of $100 dollar bills, but any and all funds that are effectively cash in that the funds don't earn interest and are liquid, immediately available for use.

Non-interest bearing accounts are fairly typical for transactional accounts because they're low/zero fee accounts -- they're not the sort of account you'd want to be using if you planned to be holding onto money for years without sending it anywhere.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_jcpig-C2s

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

e: nm not funny

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 15, 2023

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Help me edit this YouTube Thumbnail Annoyance Rating (YTAR):

1/10 - Text on white/black

3/10 - Cute animal or neat plant

5/10 - A human face at all

7/10 - Any icons, emoji, a person showing joy

10/10 - Mr. Beast face (specifically) or derivative works.

Edit: animal up to 2/10?

Question: How would one succinctly describe "Picture of thing + answer to interesting question posed in clickbait titile" ala

down1nit fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 16, 2023

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
6, unless it's tom scott, because that's been his established gimmick for like, ten years

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Answering the question in the thumbnail should be -2 points to whatever the previous score is

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

glowing eyes is an instant reprimand, as is the weird FaceApp thing Mr Beast does.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Answering the question in the thumbnail should be -2 points to whatever the previous score is

Saves me the trouble of having to watch the video, which is very good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This has been a long time coming but the finish line is finally in view:

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1725290175419277450

quote:

Google confirms they will disable MV2 extensions including uBlock Origin in mid 2024

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/resuming-the-transition-to-mv3/

https://9to5google.com/2023/11/16/chrome-extensions-disabled/

quote:

To more specific and to avoid confusion (as it probably will), Google Chrome is transitioning to MV3 (Manifest Version 3) which alleges to "improve content filtering support" for the Declarative Net Request API which is used by many ad blocking plugins (and many, many other Chrome plugins). Google states these changes are for API security concerns. Many plugin developers (uBlock included) expressed concern that this move from MV2 to MV3 will render their plugins useless (or non-functional), despite this feedback Google has stated they will move forward regardless.

Some speculate this is an intentional move by Google due to suspected loss of ad-revenue.

We don't know.

The EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) stated they believe MV3 puts unnecessary restrictions on developers, individuals from AdGuard believe this to be a positive change.

uBlock Origin is prepared for MV3 with uBlock Lite, however this version is limited its functionality (so we're told).

quote:

ublock origin lite lacks a lot of features that actually makes ublock the best:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/1067als/eli5_ublock_lite_vs_ublock_origin/

Not being able to update the filters without having to update the extension itself is a really big deal! I mean when ublock 1.53 came out, it took google almost a freaking week to finally allow the new version.

Why is that a big deal? Imagine that you have a site that you use a lot, that site then implements a way to detect adblock but you are stuck with ublock origin lite, in other words, you can't craft your own filter to by pass that site anti-adblocking(if you have the know how), you can't also come to ubo reddit to ask someone else to craft them for you and with that instantly solve the issue and you also don't have access to element picker which could also solve problem!

Now, the only thing you can do? Report the problem to ubo team, then wait until they add the new filter which will bypass the antiblock to the new version of ubo lite which you don't know when its getting released and after that you will have to wait until google authorizes the new update to be released which like I've said, takes several days!

Another example is youtube itself, if we were stuck with ubo lite right now, we would be losing the war against youtube anti-adblock badly! Because the only reason ubo is kinda able to keep up with youtube anti-adblocking is because after youtube updates their blocking script(which is every 12 hours), ubo team then updates their filters and then we as users just need to run the update manually inside the extension and boom we are back on business! Which won't be possible with ubo lite at all.

quote:

In December of last year, we paused the planned deprecation of Manifest V2 in order to address developer feedback and deliver better solutions to migration issues. As a result of this feedback, we’ve made a number of changes to Manifest V3 to close these gaps,

With these changes in place, we’ve seen support for Manifest V3 increase significantly among the extension developer community. Specifically, we are encouraged by our ongoing dialogue with the developers of content blocking extensions, who initially felt Manifest V3 could impact their ability to provide users with the features they’ve come to expect.

"With Manifest V3, we've observed the immense effort that browser teams (Chrome in particular, but also other browsers) are putting into working on a unified platform, and I see how they are listening to the feedback from extension developers. As always, migrating to a new platform is a large undertaking, but we're very hopeful that the new unified platform will bring substantial benefits to the entire browser extensions ecosystem, and that ad blockers like us will be able to continue being up to the task and further improve.” - Andrey Meshkov, CTO AdGuard

Having addressed these migration concerns from our developer community, we are ready to continue moving towards Manifest V3 and the higher security and privacy guarantees it provides. As a result, we are resuming the deprecation timeline.

We will begin disabling Manifest V2 extensions in pre-stable versions of Chrome (Dev, Canary, and Beta) as early as June 2024, in Chrome 127 and later. Users impacted by the rollout will see Manifest V2 extensions automatically disabled in their browser and will no longer be able to install Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Back to Firefox as I planned.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Yep. The only answer really.

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...
Same, I'm glad I decided to move to Firefox when the first talks of this happened. Now I'm already acclimated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
AdGuard has a commercial product. Of course they’re clapping their hands seeing their competition getting kneecapped.

HTTPS proxying isn’t a thing, right? Otherwise I could see some PiHole like solution popping up, that scrubs HTML and JS files as they’re being downloaded.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Combat Pretzel posted:

HTTPS proxying isn’t a thing, right? Otherwise I could see some PiHole like solution popping up, that scrubs HTML and JS files as they’re being downloaded.
I think AdGuard on Android supports HTTPS by installing its own certificate.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

quote:

Google states these changes are for API security concerns

ah yes we can't let the evil chicoms win in their global conspiracy to block ads the free people all want to see

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

AdGuard has a commercial product. Of course they’re clapping their hands seeing their competition getting kneecapped.

As in HTTPS proxying via Squid et al? You have to essentially MITM yourself by having a certificate from the server that's distributed to clients, in order for it to work properly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even if you install a custom certificate and use it to MITM yourself it still won't work on domains that use HSTS or other forms of cert pinning

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

repiv posted:

even if you install a custom certificate and use it to MITM yourself it still won't work on domains that use HSTS or other forms of cert pinning
Hm, I thought there was some way around that - but my memory is entirely escaping me right now :shrug:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
so other chromium based browsers like vivaldi have seven months to invent a new API to ensure uBlock Origin and friends work when google says no

pretty generous of el goog to do at least

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Combat Pretzel posted:

After 20 years, Proxomitron is back :cool:

Ok it probably won't work now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So is there anything stopping uBlock from migrating to the V3 manifest? I know very little about programming, so a simple explanation will do fine if it can't be done.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

So is there anything stopping uBlock from migrating to the V3 manifest? I know very little about programming, so a simple explanation will do fine if it can't be done.

from the article:

quote:

Users impacted by the rollout will see Manifest V2 extensions automatically disabled in their browser and will no longer be able to install Manifest V2 extensions from the Chrome Web Store.

so presumably staying on V2 means it just gets turned off

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the ublock guy has made a version for manifest V3, called ublock lite, but it's not as effective as the original

the problem with V3 is that it replaces the ability to write arbitrary code that decides what gets blocked with a prescribed (by google) pattern matching system that an extension just provides a big list of rules to, and google were also planning to set an arbitrary limit on the number of rules that can be loaded (though they've increased it a few times already)

other chromium browsers should easily be able to lift the rule limit at least, but maintaining the old V2 extension system after google rips it out will be a much bigger task

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 17, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

from the article:

so presumably staying on V2 means it just gets turned off

But I was wondering if uBlock could be made to fit the V3 stuff, not if it could stay on after the V2 stuff was ripped out.

repiv posted:

the ublock guy has made a version for manifest V3, called ublock lite, but it's not as effective as the original

Like this! So basically, "the guy who made uBlock is already working on a V3 version, it just doesnt have all the features (yet)"? Oh, okay.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I've been using firefox for years now thankfully. I've got Ungoogled Chromium for when the few pages that don't want to cooperate with the security I have in firefox are needed, but that's not too often.

Randalor posted:

But I was wondering if uBlock could be made to fit the V3 stuff, not if it could stay on after the V2 stuff was ripped out.

Like this! So basically, "the guy who made uBlock is already working on a V3 version, it just doesnt have all the features (yet)"? Oh, okay.

There is no 'yet'. They literally won't be able to add the features people like because the new system won't allow it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kazinsal posted:

so other chromium based browsers like vivaldi have seven months to invent a new API to ensure uBlock Origin and friends work when google says no

Vivaldi (and Opera and Brave) have said they're going to keep the existing V2 code active. So they don't have to make a new thing, just maintain the old thing.

(Google themselves are not removing the V2 code from Chrome right away -- see the devblog where it says Enterprise users have until June 2025.)

Randalor posted:

No "yet" in there, the V3 ublock lite will never have the features and power of the full ublock. Google intentionally designed the new thing to suck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Back to Firefox as I planned.

Does Firefox have the thing where you can log into it and have all of your bookmarks, settings and extensions instantly appear, like chrome does? Because that’s all I really need from a browser

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does Firefox have the thing where you can log into it and have all of your bookmarks, settings and extensions instantly appear, like chrome does? Because that’s all I really need from a browser

Yes

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

The only thing I'm using Chrome for these days is watching Prime video, as for some DRM reason Firefox can't stream HD videos. Other than that there's not many sites that don't work in Firefox, though some require tracking protection be disabled. (Like the Twitter integration here on SA)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Then it’s settled. gently caress chrome

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

hazzlebarth posted:

The only thing I'm using Chrome for these days is watching Prime video, as for some DRM reason Firefox can't stream HD videos. Other than that there's not many sites that don't work in Firefox, though some require tracking protection be disabled. (Like the Twitter integration here on SA)
Is it 4k? Pretty sure I stream 1080 Prime in FF on my ancient gaming laptop.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Most subscription streaming services don't allow you to stream 4K and/or HDR over any web browser, but 1080p shouldn't be a problem.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has there been anything from MS on how this will affect Edge? I’m the guy who kind of likes Edge for some reason. It’s chromium based right.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
It looks like Microsoft is going to be following Chrome on Manifest V3.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/extensions-chromium/developer-guide/manifest-v3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

Has there been anything from MS on how this will affect Edge? I’m the guy who kind of likes Edge for some reason. It’s chromium based right.

Yes, MS is following Google's timeline in removing Manifest V2.