Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah its bullshit robbery and the guy shouldn't be crying in parliament he should be raging and marching up to faslane to get to it sorted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Private Speech posted:

As I said it's mostly the local providers who decide how much to charge, among friendly countries you might have negligible costs but large parts of the world it's not really O2 or Three or whoever who gets to decide how much they charge.

Oh totally. Someone (possibly not in the UK) has made that decision and should be jailed though

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
This has happened to me a few times before, but now it's twice in one week and it's infuriating:

My house is #3, and I keep having my post and packages delivered to house #3 the next street over.

The guy who lives there, the first couple times he brought it over to ours. Then he said, give me your phone #, I'll text you if anything gets delivered here so you can pick it up, which was fine by me. It happened a couple of times, and then he came to our house again and...got pissed off with me? Told me to "stop having packages delivered by companies who don't know where each house is.". I'm like...it's Royal Mail, and Hermes, and I don't get to pick what service the people mailing me poo poo use? DPD always seems to get the right house, but...what can I do to stop it? I complained to both Royal Mail and Hermes every time it happened, but apart from that and filling out the special delivery instructions on anything I order, I don't know what else to do.

Was checking some tracking #s, and looks like I had two packages delivered to his house Monday & Tuesday this week. Going to text him tomorrow and hopefully get them, but: anyone else ever dealt with this? And any advice how I can get them to stop misdelivering?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Mourning Due posted:

This has happened to me a few times before, but now it's twice in one week and it's infuriating:

My house is #3, and I keep having my post and packages delivered to house #3 the next street over.

The guy who lives there, the first couple times he brought it over to ours. Then he said, give me your phone #, I'll text you if anything gets delivered here so you can pick it up, which was fine by me. It happened a couple of times, and then he came to our house again and...got pissed off with me? Told me to "stop having packages delivered by companies who don't know where each house is.". I'm like...it's Royal Mail, and Hermes, and I don't get to pick what service the people mailing me poo poo use? DPD always seems to get the right house, but...what can I do to stop it? I complained to both Royal Mail and Hermes every time it happened, but apart from that and filling out the special delivery instructions on anything I order, I don't know what else to do.

Was checking some tracking #s, and looks like I had two packages delivered to his house Monday & Tuesday this week. Going to text him tomorrow and hopefully get them, but: anyone else ever dealt with this? And any advice how I can get them to stop misdelivering?

order some darkweb drugs. call the cops. hope the next neighbour is more understanding. repeat as necessary.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

like i used to live on a street called like i dunno hexham road, next one was hexham terrace. all pretty indistinguishable terraced housing. not doing the delivery lads any favours.

I guess you could deliberately order him a cheap gift of i dunno Haribo or something cute with an apology and explanation that youve done everything you can and sorry but thanks?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Just get a PO box and pick stuff up once or twice a week or whatever

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Weird that you don't also get his stuff. If you did it would be a fun mutual thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67439675

i knew this shite would ramp up again once they'd forgotten about europe :negative:
I mean as far as I was aware that was already the case. If you go 18 months without successfully getting a job, you get sanctioned even if you've been doing all the activities they say you should. All they've done is add a job placement that you get sanctioned if you refuse.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

address stuff as:

3 whatever street,
NO YOU MORON THE NEXT STREET
townsville
england
gd9 0no

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

i knew this shite would ramp up again once they'd forgotten about europe :negative:

It's cool, it'll all be fine when Labour get in and uh... Rachel Reeves...

gently caress.

On the other hand, the Tories have collapsed back down to 20ish points but Labour are about ten points worse off than they were a year ago so maybe we'll get some crazy four-party free-for-all like in mid-2019 again by election time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

david cameron is game changer, kier needs to bring back in a labour big hitter. I can think of one.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

John Prescott? you'll have to throw an egg at him first

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i can throw eggs all day pal

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I added a pin with our block of flats name on it to google maps because the postcode puts the block in the middle of a large field the other side of the river so delivery cos had problems finding us.

I reckon any political party with a manifesto of sorting out delivery companies, customer services (I don't mean the poor folk answering the phones - been there done that extremely many moons ago), and associated issues would get loads of votes.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

delivery companies doing the end of the iron giant imho

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I had to change my work address on amazon to 'ONE TO FIVE' instead of 1 to 5 as they kept delivering to 15

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean as far as I was aware that was already the case. If you go 18 months without successfully getting a job, you get sanctioned even if you've been doing all the activities they say you should. All they've done is add a job placement that you get sanctioned if you refuse.

That's crazy. They can't force employers to give you a job can they?

I'm minded to think if jobs are so easy to get, maybe there should be a matching service - here are your skills and experience, here is a job matching at least 70% of them, access to the job is fine (travel/steps/whatever you need), employer here's your new employee. Save all that bother with cvs, interviews etc. New employee - here's a month's pay in advance and a travel pass for the first 3 months.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

no i guess? But they can force you to lower/widen your application standards and take away "benefits" if you don't. There are plenty of jobs where they dont care who shows up and you'll be forced to accept one of those or again lose your "benefits". I'm kind of surprised they dont already do that? maybe they do.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think this time they’re specifically expanding these sanctions to ‘people who have suffered an injury and are waiting god knows how long for an operation to relieve their pain’ and ‘the long-term disabled’, two groups who according to jeremy hunt have for too long suckled greedily at the teat of Having the Most Basic of Safety Nets

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

crispix posted:

Glad to hear they’re finally going to get tough on people who refuse to work and just coast on the hard work of taxpayers, i never thought it would be the Tories who did something about landlords

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Soricidus posted:

Glad to hear they’re finally going to get tough on people who refuse to work and just coast on the hard work of taxpayers, i never thought it would be the Tories who did something about landlords

lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What they're talking about here is placements - an employer calls the jobcentre and says 'we need two bodies to stack shelves,' and the jobcentre send you in. You don't get paid by the company, you recieve your normal benefits while you do it and Poundland recieve essentially unpaid labour for (usually) 2 weeks.

If you say you can't do it, you get sanctioned. If you fail the placement you can be sanctioned if the employer says you didn't try hard enough (or the dwp decide they can interpret the feedback that way).

If you manage to hold down the placement, even if it burns through all of your resources, they'll take that as evidence you can do it and they put you up for every poo poo job on god's green earth.

Last time it was announced it was called Workfare, and there were concerns companies would start using it to strikebreak unskilled labour* and companies would abuse it to get a stream of unpaid temporary labour.

*I know ok.

Apraxin posted:

I think this time they’re specifically expanding these sanctions to ‘people who have suffered an injury and are waiting god knows how long for an operation to relieve their pain’ and ‘the long-term disabled’, two groups who according to jeremy hunt have for too long suckled greedily at the teat of Having the Most Basic of Safety Nets
The really lovely thing is it specifically mentions people who have anxiety and depression.

It's horrifying because I really can't see any outcome of those kinds of placements that wouldn't exacerbate those conditions horribly. Hunt yet again proving his absolute inhumanity.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 17, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I think last time this came up, the Tories basically threatened that people would have to 'work' for free and then every company that expressed an interest got dogpiled by the public until they backed out.
I do genuinely think that public opinion is firmly against the Tories on this one and CCHQ is just getting their ideas from GB News and the Telegraph

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What they're talking about here is placements - an employer calls the jobcentre and says 'we need two bodies to stack shelves,' and the jobcentre send you in. You don't get paid by the company, you recieve your normal benefits while you do it and Poundland recieve essentially unpaid labour for (usually) 2 weeks.

If you say you can't do it, you get sanctioned. If you fail the placement you can be sanctioned if the employer says you didn't try hard enough (or the dwp decide they can interpret the feedback that way).

If you manage to hold down the placement, even if it burns through all of your resources, they'll take that as evidence you can do it and they put you up for every poo poo job on god's green earth.

Last time it was announced it was called Workfare, and there were concerns companies would start using it to strikebreak unskilled labour* and companies would abuse it to get a stream of unpaid temporary labour.

*I know ok.

they wont pay the person working minimum wage?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

cos it isnt work?

its work place assesment training or something?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

tories can gently caress off imho

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

they wont pay the person working minimum wage?

When I did a work placement about 15 years ago at a Matalan, you got no money at all apart from the jobseeker's allowance you were already getting. Also we weren't allowed to tell the higher management who were touring the store on the last day I was there that we were from the job centre. And we were told there weren't actually permanent places available after all at lunchtime on the Friday. When I then told the guy I was going to head home, he was genuinely surprised I didn't intend to finish out the day.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

that is disgusting.

but at the same time i reckon if i had some lads on site for a day unpaid they would learn a lot

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

that is disgusting.

but at the same time i reckon if i had some lads on site for a day unpaid they would learn a lot
You could teach them the best spots to hide a poo.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I get 12GB of free roaming in the EU per month and when I meet the limit, like I did earlier in the week strangely enough, it just stops working till I buy a data add on. If I go outside the EU I have to skip to the add on directly, but in any case I don't think I can physically rack up a bill because everything has to be paid in advance. I've heard of this happening to people before but you must have to be on some extremely old school PAYG contract.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why don't people get local data sims when they're abroad if they're going to a country without some deal with their UK supplier? A lot of airports have telecoms booths one you get through baggage/customs into arrival halls.

That's old school now. You can just get an eSim from Airalo for€5 for a few gig

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

imagine scottish football being like how much? for us?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's old school now. You can just get an eSim from Airalo for€5 for a few gig

Yes if your phone takes those. Mine doesn't. (Or if it does it's not telling me :D )

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got a mandatory placement in a charity shop when I was on jobseekers.

The manager was a bit unimpressed when they interviewed me and asked why I wanted to "volunteer" and I said "because I have to in order to continue receiving jsa"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"Because we live in an insane system where you will die if you don't work" is never a popular answer at interviews.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kecske posted:

tories can gently caress off imho

Bunch of cunts if you ask me.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Bunch of cunts if you ask me.

Concerning

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Huge if true.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Just dropping a casual £2.5 billion on some of the worst ideas imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

domhal posted:

Just dropping a casual £2.5 billion on some of the worst ideas imaginable.

life goals amirite