Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is the quality of pubbies higher on damnation than heresy? I feel like I'm up to snuff for heresy and no further, but every squad I join doesn't even have the fundamentals down

Yes, definitely. By a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is the quality of pubbies higher on damnation than heresy? I feel like I'm up to snuff for heresy and no further, but every squad I join doesn't even have the fundamentals down

Damnation pubbies are far and away better, though admittedly after the update 15 on the non-Carnivale levels the director feels a lot meaner. Doesn't change the fact I will never pub Heresy, but I will pub Damnations happily. Hell, only play the auric board and you're far less likely to get bad players.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Reiley posted:

Did the patch adjust armor vs explosives? Prepatch my bolter killed Damnation crushers in 6 shots but now they live with like 40 health left.
I was watching a stream yesterday showing the explosives nerf as it relates to the Rumbler. So I am going to assume that it also nerfed the Bolter explosions which sucks...good thing I was planning to not run that build much if ever on Vet anyway!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yes. I would say that you should feel like you are the carry on at least some of your Heresy games if you want to more reliably move into Damnation with wins. If you are always the first person needing picked up in Heresy, if you are never clutching, then Damnation will require your team to carry you to victory. That's my hot take on it anyway.

Now with that said, I probably moved into Damnation a bit on the early side relative to what I typed above. Bottom line, play some damnation games, worst case you piss off 3*numberofgames pubbies but honestly people who get upset over that sort of thing aren't worth caring about. Having games requiring superhuman effort to carry to the finish line are fun sometimes IMO.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This holds true for every single co-op vs pve multiplayer game, the hardest difficulty is the easiest because it is filled with people who have min maxed and done it so much they can do it with their eyes closed can probably easily carry one newbie, the middle difficulties are always the hardest difficulties because it is filled with people who are either inexperienced, aren't confident enough to go higher or so toxic that they drag every game down and think it's everyone else keeping them there.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Except right now. Where any game im in i poo poo.

i am bad. i am the problem.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a pretty good plasma veteran build I found.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Did they fix that bugged veteran talent yet?

e: the one that makes you take more damage instead of taking less damage

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

drat Dirty Ape posted:

no

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I finally got around to installing mods because my fingers were about to die. No idea why I didn't do this sooner. FullAuto+KeepSwinging... thank you.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

Did the patch adjust armor vs explosives? Prepatch my bolter killed Damnation crushers in 6 shots but now they live with like 40 health left.

What modifiers do you have on it?

I am having a devil of a time telling for sure but it appears the psyker guide guy who claims you get Destiny stacks if the victim merely has your Soulblaze on is wrong. Again, though, devil of a time making certain.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Tried the Columnus infantry gun on crit psyker and while I don't think it's out-and-out obviously better than heavy las pistol, it definitely feels comparably good and a lot of fun. You're not as reliable for popping distant specials, but better at mowing down ragers and slightly better with Gaze at cutting down bosses.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It'll be next patch IIRC.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My teammates are getting progressively worse. Malice has become painful.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Get out of malice, no reason to stay there past level 10-15.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 17, 2023

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

What modifiers do you have on it?

Plus flak and plus carapace. It feels like the shot that's falling short is the first one that applies the shattering impact brittleness because everything after it still feels juicy.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

My teammates are getting progressively worse. Malice has become painful.

By the end of the week ill be level thirty and playing the lowest difficulty

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So does the veteran talent that replenishes grenades from ammo pickups work for ALL ammo pickups or just the deployable ones? If it's the former that's a pretty viable alternative to the grenade regeneration talent.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Deployables only; it makes your deployables do extra things for everybody.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I've been mostly playing ogryn since the skill tree patch dropped and as far as I can tell all an ogryn melee build needs to be good is smash em, best defense, batter, and delight in destruction. Throw a couple heavies into a crowd and you've filled your toughness and applied enough bleed to take 60 percent less damage. As long as you spend the rest of your points on something you're golden.

I've been swapping between left and middle keystones every other mission and I can't even tell a difference. Crushers maybe die in one less hit if you don't want to wait for bleed, or there's slightly less chip damage. It seems like there's already so many survivability and damage perks by the bottom that adding another 25 percent is imperceptible.

It's not, the uppercut kinda sucks. It can't be spammed and doesn't stagger as many things. Knife is great at actually killing hordes and not just knocking them around, and works really well if you're running guns and dont want to gently caress with heavy attack perks.

Hell yeah, that's the good stuff.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
hot take: if you're a vet and you don't take the ammo aura you're actively throwing in higher difficulty matches

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Depends on team comp, if you have 3 psykers, probably don't need the aura, if another veteran has it and you trust them to not bail, can probably swap to a alternate build that saves a passive point and gives the team another aura, otherwise you really should be taking it.

If you don't have it and you have 3 gunner ogyns they will look at you with contempt and scorn.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Sestze posted:

hot take: if you're a vet and you don't take the ammo aura you're actively throwing in higher difficulty matches

For real. Helps me because I hardly ever need to pick up ammo, and helps the rest of the team because players who waste ammo can have all the pickups.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Was playing a Maelstrom with the "no ammo pickups" modifier and I didn't even realise until the end of the game when everyone's ammo pickups was 0! Ammo aura works really well with slug shotgun, it's very efficient

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
im beginning to doubt that the highest diff has the best pubs because im seeing people try and do it at like level 15, and one extremely loving annoying recurring issue ive noticed is people hanging on to medkits while everyone still has max wounds but low hp. what are we doing here, the kit cannot restore wounds, drop the fuckin thing before we all die

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Difficulty is all over the place right now. Controller players are mixing things up, people are trying out new difficulties or falling afoul the tweaked difficulty from this patch, the vet talents still haven't been fully mastered. I've played Damnation for months and usually the group chugs along, helps each other out and moves at a good pace. I keep getting matches where my team just gets pinned down and refuses to move or splits up or gets fascinated by a bit of wall for a worryingly long period of time. Twice today I've had to get into chat just to get people to move along after an objectives has been completed, there's something very strange happening and I think it's lowbies trying to get carried to max out their levels.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Internet Explorer posted:

Wish they would just add workshop support for Steam.

Or anything that's not running batch files like we're modding in 1996.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Psyker feels super bad to me now, even as a voidstrike afficionado with pretty ideal weapons.

Going to swap to purgatus and see what's up

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the people who used to just split up and roam around while relying on their skillz to pull through are getting messed up by the increased director threat, teams need to be on top of eachother and watching eachothers backs as best as they can because the director is merciless right now and you will always have to watch your back from being surrounded by chaff, or the AI deciding to spawn bosses every half a minute, or popping a rager horde into existence within your line of sight.
People who go down to the first major threat are also a larger liability, if someone is split and goes down around 30 gunners and crushers that's a lot of HP for the team to carve through with 1 less damage dealer.
Dome psykers are incredibly useful right now to not get gunned down or bombed or sniped immediately and gives your team a big visible "GET OVER HERE" location that stops chip damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 17, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Get out of malice, no reason to stay there past level 10-15.

It's sometimes nice to have a brain-off game session to catch up with friends and talk about stuff instead of focusing on the game :)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

ijyt posted:

It's sometimes nice to have a brain-off game session to catch up with friends and talk about stuff instead of focusing on the game :)

Yeah, every once in a while I hop on malice so I can admire the pretty levels without having to focus on combat the whole way through. Even if the rest of the team doesn't really know what they're doing, one solid player can generally carry the rest, as long as they can at least move in the right direction.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said before they need to add a proper in-world indicator for the coherency radius and not just a easy to forget about tiny HUD icon

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Like I've said before they need to add a proper in-world indicator for the coherency radius and not just a easy to forget about tiny HUD icon

there's an icon?

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ijyt posted:

there's an icon?

There’s actually two icons. One appears above your teammates’ health bars when they’re in range of your aura, and the other is always on your buff bar with an indicator of 1-4 stacks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Me and a friend got humbled by a couple zealots running the same blessings of double bleed dagger/blaze and overpressure flamer during an auric maelstrom, true level mod showing post-30 levels put one of them at around level 1168, they were going to finish the map regardless of what we did and one of them solo'd a daemonhost without taking a hit for the fun of it, we just tried not to slow them down too much from pushing our baby strollers while they slaughtered everything.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was under the impression daemonhosts were unsoloable in that their hits were pretty much guaranteed

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

ZeusCannon posted:

I was under the impression daemonhosts were unsoloable in that their hits were pretty much guaranteed
If you have enough room, no pressure from adds and have the daemonhost timing down as when to strike, dodge or block, it's possible, I've seen an Ogryn do it - but don't even ask me to try.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thats cool. It may also just be that every time lately for me that a daemonhost needed to be fought it's in the middle of a complete clusterfuck.

Also can beasts of nurgle spawn chaos spawn? I swear i saw one pop out the other day

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ijyt posted:

yeah, that's what regular Damnation is for. :)

Once you get more comfortable at the game and start pushing the higher difficulties you'll be surprised how fast you find anything below 5s to be kinda boring. Also need that sweet sweet plasteel

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Low intensity damnation is more chill then regular heresy too, but anything below high intensity shock trooper gauntlet is a snoozefest at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I find High intensity Damnations most fun at my skill level, but still avoid solo queueing for em.