Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

One rumor was that he was asking way too much and nobody was willing to come close to his price

ARTE LISTEN TO ME

DO NOT gently caress THIS UP

WALLET THE MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Of the 29 teams that Ohtani will not play for in 2024, the Angels are definitely one.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's going to play for the Cubs and become my very best friend.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

He's going to play for the Cubs and become my very best friend.

That's weird cause actually he's going to be MY best friend. I mean I guess you can hangout with him too.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Man when I saw a 100 new posts I thought it was going to be a surprise Ohtani to LA deal or a new Astros scandal but making official the inevitable demise of the Oakland As is more of a bummer. And given how much of a petty, cheapskate douche Fisher is, I could see him treating the the team history like Amy Adams has with the Oilers/Titans just to twist the knife.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
So Acuna got every first and Betts got every second, has that ever happened before?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shohei and Seiya on the same team would be super loving cool. Might as well grab Yamamoto too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Shohei and Seiya on the same team would be super loving cool. Might as well grab Yamamoto too.

You're gonna trade Seiya to Seattle? That's pretty cool of you.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

That's weird cause actually he's going to be MY best friend. I mean I guess you can hangout with him too.

Can he be all of our best friends?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mustached Demon posted:

Can he be all of our best friends?

Sure. In fact I think he'll make a great cubsposter

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

mdemone posted:

ARTE LISTEN TO ME

DO NOT gently caress THIS UP

WALLET THE MAN

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What in the world is this deal

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1725376722168590417?s=20

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1725376722168590417

TRADE

Guessing those guys were gonna get DFA'd by AA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess they might get non-tendered? I don't know. It's just odd.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have no idea who any of the non-Soroka guys are, but that's a lot of bodies for one (1) reliever

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bummer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea who any of the non-Soroka guys are, but that's a lot of bodies for one (1) reliever

Nicky Lopez and Shuster both stink. Those other guys are no-one i've heard of and none look like anything you'd want to hear of.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's the White Sox future starting lineup once the fire sale really gets under way.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Bummer will be an absolute steal with a team behind him that can actually catch the ball. This guy throws sinkers that shoot in all different directions off the bat and nobody on the Sox besides Andrus could even track it nevermind field it

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

maffew buildings posted:

wow, the power of framing

Some of those are artwork by the catcher, and some of those are just loving yikes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

So Acuna got every first and Betts got every second, has that ever happened before?
I dunno but it’s an alarming level of agreement from the writers

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s like one of the trades I do in the Show where I just trade my bottom three roster guys for the best thing I can get to make room.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Isn’t the rule 5 draft very soon? Maybe those were a bunch of guys the Braves didn’t have room to protect

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bless him, Soroka made it back to the Majors in 2023. His ligaments are the consistency of wet cotton candy. I'm pulling for him but even if he can ever find his form, his body will immediately self-destruct.

Shuster: One of many to audition to be a back-of-rotation starter this year. He's in this trade so he a) obviously didn't pass the test and b) obviously gave Atlanta no interest in giving him another shot.

Shewmake: All glove, no bat. He's here because he was never going to get playing time with both Albies and Vaughn Grissom. Slight cup of coffee in bigs, so maybe you have something there.

Lopez: Can actually play at the MLB level. Hit a grand slam off the Mets. Can pitch in garbage time.

Gowens: Hasn't seen the big leagues yet. Dunno anything beyond his name.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah it looks like the Braves clearing some guys on the Rule 5 bubble off in exchange for a (historically) pretty good reliever under fairly cheap club control for three more seasons.

What a fall for Soroka though, drat. Remember him absolutely dazzling in the peak of the super rabbitball bullshit of 2019.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Pretty sure the Braves saw the best Lopez had to offer. Still rooting for Soroka. Glad to never see Shuster again. Shewmake is a nonentity. AA’s track record with getting relievers is fairly solid and if Bummer falls apart at least the headlines write themselves.

STAC Goat posted:

That’s like one of the trades I do in the Show where I just trade my bottom three roster guys for the best thing I can get to make room.

Yeah exactly my thought, like doing videogame trades back when that mechanic was first introduced and if you kept adding warm bodies eventually you could trade for almost anyone.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Isn’t the rule 5 draft very soon? Maybe those were a bunch of guys the Braves didn’t have room to protect

Edit: actually the deadline was earlier this week. Non tender deadline is today.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/fos/status/1724892187379597421?s=46&t=eGtKhFFooZWFwCmcVJDt3Q

Braves found their Ohtani money

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The on-screen zone makes less than zero sense for the bunting Pirate lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

as if I needed another reason to hate the Braves

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Curious how many of those guys stick for the Sox at all. But yeah, the open 40-man spots are really the prize here.
https://x.com/mlbbowman/status/1725517788893069348?s=20
e: honestly someone needs to just option Soroka to the broadcast booth, he's really good at it

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 17, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Red posted:

Some of those are artwork by the catcher, and some of those are just loving yikes

I bet if someone researched the background on those 20 pitches they'd find there's backstory behind 15 of them, either a make-up call or the ump being pissed at someone and Making A Point.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
MLB gave the 2025 ASG to the Braves and I'm mad about it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Former top prospect Sixto Sanchez, who looked good for that abbreviated 2020 season and was never seen again, is probably getting non-tendered by the Marlins today

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

2 Cubs batters and 0 Cubs pitchers in that montage. I'm TIRED of this ANTI-CUBS bias among umps! :bahgawd:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'll admit, as a Mariners fan, I was a bit disappointed that two Ms pitchers were in that montage.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/2008Philz/status/1725303489419497647

Given a full season in 2024, Rojas could be the best CFer in baseball

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Former top prospect Sixto Sanchez, who looked good for that abbreviated 2020 season and was never seen again, is probably getting non-tendered by the Marlins today

Isn't he pre-arb?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Probably but why would you keep him on a 40 man when the last pitch he threw in AA was a 82 MPH fastball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm surprised you don't see more trades of that nature tbh