Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

harperdc posted:

I’m still convinced the King Ranch/fancy pickup truck stuff is because what general Americans want is a big leather couch with a lazy V8, and the OEMs can’t make land barge coupes or sedans anymore due to the crash/fuel efficiency rules. Pickups and SUVs having a loophole from the U.S. government is just allowing that.

You're not wrong. RIP the Mercury marque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

harperdc posted:

I’m still convinced the King Ranch/fancy pickup truck stuff is because what general Americans want is a big leather couch with a lazy V8, and the OEMs can’t make land barge coupes or sedans anymore due to the crash/fuel efficiency rules. Pickups and SUVs having a loophole from the U.S. government is just allowing that.

It's a combination of this, perception of rugged individualism, perception of utility, and Americans being too big to fit in small cars anymore. :v:

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

KakerMix posted:

:negative:

We thought so too but lordy lordy, the 2020 V60 was gorgeous but also a rattly, weird maintenance pig that just ate brake rotors, we found all of this out within 3000 miles of owning it. Replaced it with a J200 Land Cruiser because I am a part of the problem. However, I know that the Land Cruiser will be here long after every single last V60 is dead three times over, probably on their 5th pair of brake rotors when their turbos die.

I thought I wanted a V90 when I was shopping to replace my 2009 9-5 estate. I test drove a PowerPulse diesel and it was really disappointing. Visibility was dire, the turbo lag was really noticeable, the automatic gearbox regularly got the wrong gear and it felt a lot smaller on the inside than the Saab despite technically having more space. It was also way less engaging to drive. The V90 is a beautiful thing but not a very good car, at least for the money. I ended up with a Superb 280 which has a bunch of Skoda jank, and is missing a lot of the clever storage of the Volvo but makes up for it with way more space. It's also less fun than the Saab, despite having half the 0-60 time but it's a nice, sensible family car that can occasionally go very fast.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

^^^^^^
Agreed

I know that one can fit a dead deer in the trunk of many cars, but like I bet most people don't *want* to do that. I would have considered an SUV (4 Runner) of some sort, but I didn't really want to put a load of firewood in the back cargo area.

I get it, some people don't give a gently caress. Good for them that don't. I do. The bed on the otherhand? gently caress it. Its easy enough to spray fish guts off the plastic, mud, whatever, sweep out the chips after a load of wood or some poo poo.

I bought my Tacoma because I was going to go all sorts of place to hunt, camp, fish, explore etc..... I am guilty as charged for not going to nearly as many of those places as I'd hoped.

That being said, its allowed me to get to some places my Corolla would never have been able to, tow my boat and move some poo poo that I needed to move.

One thing that can be said though, is that in some ways, my truck is less practical for things. I don't have a tonneau or cap for the bed. While there are a few times when I wish I had one, I have no plans for them in the foreseeable future.
I used to keep my fishing stuff in the trunk of my Corolla for years. It was out of sight, out of mind and *arguably* more secure. In my truck, if I want to keep it secure, its got to be in the cab, and between the rods and box, it takes up a seat, so less people space luckily I have no friends. In the car that was never a problem. Wouldn't be a problem in a 4 Runner or whatever other SUV type whip I might have considered. Anyway, just some ramblings on the subject.

I had the unfortunate incident of having our live bait cooler spill in the back of the xB, not a horrendous amount but enough to make the car smell like fish for the rest of the day lol. Thankfully I have a protective cover over the cargo floor area so i washed it off and it was fine but it could have been way worse, if it spilled the entire contents i would have been screwed and probably had to replace the entire carpet and padding in the car. That incident kinda woke me up to the fact that if i'm gonna be doing a lot of fishing and towing I'm gonna need a better vehicle for the job.

As far as keeping things secured, I figured I'd just get some sort of locking hard cover that lifts up or rolls back or something. The Maverick hybrid is perfect for my needs, economy for city driving and the bed plus towing up to 2k pounds is awesome. I've considered the ecoboost but I'm a bit leery with all the issues ford has been having with them lately, besides 40mpg with the hybrid would be great. I'll probably end up driving them both tho.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

They are nice vehicles to own if you can park it somewhere and can afford the fuel costs. NVH and overall refinement in the F150 is pretty spectacular now, the interior on a new F150 is quieter than our new X5. The long wheelbase and acoustic glass work. They have a very good assist system in BlueCruise and a 700+ mile highway range. Hard to beat for a road trip. I think you'd have to be considering a 7 series, Audi A8, S Class type vehicle to top it. If I could fit one in the garage at work I'd be driving a Lightning today.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hyundai has partnered with Amazon to start selling cars on Amazon. I understand the benefit to Amazon, but I'm wondering what Hyundai gets out of this. Do they figure that since people are in a buying mindset while on Amazon so maybe they'll buy a car if it's suggested to them? Are there that many Amazon users that aren't familiar with Hyundai? Is it more of a demographics issue that younger people are more likely to buy something through Amazon so why not a car?

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/amazon-sell-hyundai-vehicles-online-starting-2024-2023-11-16/

quote:

Amazon to sell Hyundai vehicles online starting in 2024

Amazon (AMZN.O) will begin selling Hyundai (005380.KS) vehicles online in the U.S. starting next year, the two companies said on Thursday.

Customers will be able to shop for, equip and buy a car at Amazon.com and schedule delivery through a local Hyundai dealer, the companies said.

The agreement is an expansion of a deal announced two years ago to expand Hyundai's digital showroom on Amazon.com, enabling customers to configure a vehicle, calculate the price and locate a dealer to complete the sale.

Hyundai set up its first digital showroom on Amazon in 2018.

The latest version was announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The new agreement also will enable buyers of new Hyundai vehicles in 2025 to access Amazon's Alexa voice assistant from their cars.

“Partnering with one of the world’s most customer-centric organizations unlocks incredible opportunities as we continue to expand our portfolio, grow our sales network, transition to electrification and realize the future of smart mobility,” said Hyundai Motor CEO Jay Chang in a statement.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I believe you still have to complete the transaction at a dealer, and go "in the box" so they can sell you trucoat. So it's kinda bullshit. It'd be incredible if they were going for more of a Tesla model but I don't see that happening.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean Hyundai dealers are definitely in the running for the worst US network so any less interaction with them would be a positive even if you still have to go physically pick it up

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
"Sir there was a problem with the Amazon paperwork lets step into my office real quick to redo it"

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Can I haggle with Amazon?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is Alexa in your car going to do

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nohearum posted:

"Sir there was a problem with the Amazon paperwork lets step into my office real quick to redo it"

Yeah probably not gonna work out but the promise is at least "you will not have to talk to the Hyundai dealer... as much"

Uhhhhh yeah we added 600 for... nitrogen in the tires

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This sounds like the Costco Auto Program except probably worse somehow.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Hyundai has partnered with Amazon to start selling cars on Amazon. I understand the benefit to Amazon, but I'm wondering what Hyundai gets out of this. Do they figure that since people are in a buying mindset while on Amazon so maybe they'll buy a car if it's suggested to them? Are there that many Amazon users that aren't familiar with Hyundai? Is it more of a demographics issue that younger people are more likely to buy something through Amazon so why not a car?

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail-consumer/amazon-sell-hyundai-vehicles-online-starting-2024-2023-11-16/

Fiat started doing sales over amazon.it for 500 and panda since a decade ago, buyers gets a welcome pack with an order code to be claimed online which then gets managed by the closest dealer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It strikes me as a step towards the "transparent / mo haggle pricing" kind of philosophy to appeal to younger buyers without them having to invest much to develop an online presence.

I better get 5% Back from my Amazon Prime credit card :v:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sab669 posted:

It strikes me as a step towards the "transparent / mo haggle pricing" kind of philosophy to appeal to younger buyers without them having to invest much to develop an online presence.

I better get 5% Back from my Amazon Prime credit card :v:

Stellantis is currently on a "this is the list price, gently caress you if you expect any discount" stance on any BTO cars of theirs for Europe. Good to avoid markups, bad because you won't see any price cut if you want/need any option.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

SlowBloke posted:

Stellantis is currently on a "this is the list price, gently caress you if you expect any discount" stance on any BTO cars of theirs for Europe. Good to avoid markups, bad because you won't see any price cut if you want/need any option.

Meanwhile you can buy a Jeep or an Alfa in the USA for 10k plus off MSRP!

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
New Renault Twingo is electric and supposedly under 20 000 €.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M00seiYhiGg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
lol at the three hood vents

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DanTheFryingPan posted:

New Renault Twingo is electric and supposedly under 20 000 €.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M00seiYhiGg

It looks like someone explaining an old Twingo over a telephone. The front lights are the worst part.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I like it, it’s cute

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol at the three hood vents

I hope one of them is the washer fluid fill.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mitsuoka M55 concept.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
That would be a cool two door vehicle.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Too bad Honda doesn't make a two door civic they could use as a base for one.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Mitsuoka M55 concept.

Is it amphibious?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

Mitsuoka M55 concept.

Its too thick in the middle to have those small accents at the front and rear.

2024 M55 GPOS

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
New Twingo looks charming.

The Challenger-face civic doesn't really look good, but I hope Mitsuoka never stops being weird.

Meanwhile, here's Cadillac's new entry-level SUV, the Optiq:

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/11/embargo-nov-17-at-9-am-cadillac-optiq-debuts-as-brands-entry-level-electric-crossover/

Looks dull to me, but I appreciate Cadillac is back to naming cars again. Even nonsense names.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wifi Toilet posted:

Is it amphibious?

It can act as a boat for a short time.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: This Wednesday 11/22 is the last day to sign up! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Did you catch a joke probation, make a super embarrassing post complaining about it, and need some holiday cheer to get you back in the shitposting spirit?

Then sign up for Automotive Insanity's Secret Santa! Some goon will send you a random assortment of items, mostly some broken car parts, and there is an option for penis-emblazonment. I have enjoyed it so much over the years that I volunteered to pick up the mantle from slothrop and organize it for 2023. So come on down and spread the holiday cheeks cheer!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

There a dealership in Alabama selling 700 hp F150 base model sleepers

https://autos.yahoo.com/alabama-dealer-selling-705-hp-211527870.html

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
removing the tailgate and slamming the gas at the light and spinning off into a ditch faster than the mustang can

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That's the only way to sell single cab trucks these days

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh look, it's got an actual usable sized tray too.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

That's the only way to sell single cab trucks these days

It's absurd that what you say is true, because the modern dual cab is just so much crap and the single cab is a far better utility vehicle.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I’d rather have a TRX but you can’t beat that for the money.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren: AISS 2023: LAST CHANCE, PROCRASTINATORS! :frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Powershift posted:

Mitsuoka M55 concept.

Nice Mustang

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You wanna talk about a car that shouldn’t have four doors…

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Criticizing Mitsuoka for making a car too mundane is proof that we are approaching the terminus of our civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

Mitsuoka M55 concept.

Oh man what are those things on the rear window called

Used to see aftermarket kits for em a lot more in the 90s