Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Also I'm closing in on 80 with my vanguard trooper, been looking at some endgame gearing guides. One thing im not quite sure of: I've been leveling with tank spec but DPS gear and it hasn't really been a problem in solo or vet flashpoints. When I hit 80 should I start working on tank gear proper or get a DPS set first? The one endgame thing I definitely want to try is doing the raids in at least story mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

StashAugustine posted:

Also I'm closing in on 80 with my vanguard trooper, been looking at some endgame gearing guides. One thing im not quite sure of: I've been leveling with tank spec but DPS gear and it hasn't really been a problem in solo or vet flashpoints. When I hit 80 should I start working on tank gear proper or get a DPS set first? The one endgame thing I definitely want to try is doing the raids in at least story mode

Once you hit 80 and complete Conquest you'll get enough Commendations to buy a full set of 324 gear - get the spec you want to play. A tank in DPS gear is a lovely tank and a lovely DPS (unless you're doing PvP). Then the next week you can buy another set for the other spec.

324 gear is good enough for 90% of the content in the game, all story mode raids, so you're good there.

If you're looking for an active guild on Star Forge, I recommend these guys https://aie-guild.org/swtor/

They do a lot of fun runs and I've helped them out from time to time over the years.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thanks. I have been doing some PVP (actually pretty fun), but it sounds like the goal should be to get basic 324 sets for shield and plasma, then focus on upgrading the tank stuff cause that's gonna be what I'm using in any actually difficult content

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I started my sith warrior and was planning on doing a lot side run romancing dark side jaesa. I didn't realize I had to be dark side when I get to get to do this.

Since I'm a freak I made a new sith warrior and plan to do dark options until I get to her and then go light because I'm a freak lol

I really like the way my toon came out. He's got Anakin's costume but is bald a white skinned alien. Looks like what Anakin might have aged to look like eventually.

And as always I'm rocking that half faced mask

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Shard posted:

So I started my sith warrior and was planning on doing a lot side run romancing dark side jaesa. I didn't realize I had to be dark side when I get to get to do this.

Since I'm a freak I made a new sith warrior and plan to do dark options until I get to her and then go light because I'm a freak lol

I really like the way my toon came out. He's got Anakin's costume but is bald a white skinned alien. Looks like what Anakin might have aged to look like eventually.

And as always I'm rocking that half faced mask

Yeah if you’re even 1% dark side that’s good enough to turn Jaesa. So you can still make many light side decisions, just gotta balance it out. I find I can almost just follow my own wishes to get there.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

wazu posted:

Yeah if you’re even 1% dark side that’s good enough to turn Jaesa. So you can still make many light side decisions, just gotta balance it out. I find I can almost just follow my own wishes to get there.

If you're Light she'll be Light if you're Dark she'll be Dark however if you're Neutral you can pick whether you want her to be Dark or Light.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

If you're Light she'll be Light if you're Dark she'll be Dark however if you're Neutral you can pick whether you want her to be Dark or Light.

How deep does "neutral" go, because I got her light while I was dark like... 2 and a half

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I thought your actual alignment didn't matter for which one you get, I thought it was all based on the choices you make in that part of the game leading up to her recruitment.

CesiumCanoe
Oct 9, 2012

Oh ya

Medullah posted:

I thought your actual alignment didn't matter for which one you get, I thought it was all based on the choices you make in that part of the game leading up to her recruitment.

Yeah this is how it goes. I have a SW that was at least DS 3 that ended up with a LS Jaesa - just have to make the "right" conversation choices during that part of the game. Highly recommend turning on the "show conversation alignment gain" and/or "show conversation alignment gain on mouseover" options in the UI for this.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Right I'm going to play it safe and kill her parents and her old teacher and then after I recruit her I'll play light side.

From an RP setting I am going to look at it like my character starting out dark but it losing its appeal when he takes on a fallen jedi apprentice. She fixed him but he broke her lol.

Also this means for the first time ever I am shocking the poo poo out of vette and its really uncomfortable lol.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Thanksgaming > The MMO HMO > Star Wars The Old Republic: I'm going to play it safe and kill her parents

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Eh I've always thought the opposite. 11 years and counting nobody is changing my mind. :catbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Eh I've always thought the opposite. 11 years and counting nobody is changing my mind. :catbert:

I just know my main Marauder is Light V and has Dark Jaessa.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can get to Light or Dark V easily by just running heroics with the slider set in whichever direction. Might be a lot of work to get one version of Jaessa over another, but it's doable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

You can get to Light or Dark V easily by just running heroics with the slider set in whichever direction. Might be a lot of work to get one version of Jaessa over another, but it's doable.

That doesn't exist anymore. :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

That doesn't exist anymore. :)

I was gonna say, didn't they get rid of that years ago haha

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Yeah, almost two years ago with the launch of 7.0 if memory serves. I'm still happy they went back to the old mechanics because that "flip a switch" system took all the fun out of it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

You can still do the same with Diplomacy mission spam, really. It's just more of a time/credit sink, maybe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sombrerotron posted:

Yeah, almost two years ago with the launch of 7.0 if memory serves. I'm still happy they went back to the old mechanics because that "flip a switch" system took all the fun out of it.
:negative:

Shows you how long it's been since I had a gaming machine.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/SWTOR/status/1724926458496221349?t=BLlHNv7PGMw33i78OnruTA&s=19

APAC server coming, and no transfers allowed for those of you masochists that want to start fresh with other newbies

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Not gonna lie, a new server rush would be awesome

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Well, my chars started on APAC, thrn got merged to Star Forgr. Does it count as a transfer if its just returning home?

Would be nice to get some regulat raiding at a devent time tho

First things first tho, the last 8 Valor levels!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly fresh servers would be the best way to deal with the billionaire elites and the people who are bored as gently caress

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Had to start a bunch of new toons on new server today. So many beautiful names. Names. NAMES!!!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

wazu posted:

Had to start a bunch of new toons on new server today. So many beautiful names. Names. NAMES!!!!!

I played for a few hours on it. Fuckin people already hoarding names and offering to sell them for real money. Unreal.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I played for a few hours on it. Fuckin people already hoarding names and offering to sell them for real money. Unreal.

Yikes, not doing that. Just getting all my regulars, and a few I haven't gotten before. Need 8 good ones if I'm gonna get all those legacy perks. Enjoy levelling up characters on SWTOR more than any other MMORPG for whatever reason.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Looting this currency would put you over the cap.

Also working up the eighty-something level to get rewarded a Gold Decoration Pack the gives me a deco I already have 200 of.

Galactic Seasons is fun.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Spend some of that currency

Be like me and have 4 cargo bays full of tech fragment bags

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
I just like how "We're getting rid of Planetary Commendations etc in order to simplify and reduce currencies" led to today where you have to have an entire inventory tab just to keep track of all your currencies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just like how "We're getting rid of Planetary Commendations etc in order to simplify and reduce currencies" led to today where you have to have an entire inventory tab just to keep track of all your currencies.

Aren't they getting rid of a few with 7.4?

Gearing has just been a nightmare since 4.0. They never should have opened the Pandora's Box of making raid level gear obtainable other ways. Or at least didn't make it so gear was meaningless in most content. Too many people focus on gearing despite having zero need for it, and sync means not only is it not necessary, it doesn't even help in most content

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Number.... not go up?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

did any of you start a new character on the new server? even if you're in NA/EU? it's SUPER tempting to start fresh!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you start a new character on the new server? even if you're in NA/EU? it's SUPER tempting to start fresh!

I did, Swtorista's got a contest for the first 50 to hit 50 on it so I figured I'd jam through it the first day buttttt after about level 18 I just couldn't get past not having my legacy perks heh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Medullah posted:

I did, Swtorista's got a contest for the first 50 to hit 50 on it so I figured I'd jam through it the first day buttttt after about level 18 I just couldn't get past not having my legacy perks heh

Oh gently caress that's right. New legacy. How is your ping? Noticeable? Does it matter? I figure I'm about 200-250 from here. The time difference for a SEA/APAC server is a no biggie for me, because I tend to play later at night anyways which would be primetime for them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh gently caress that's right. New legacy. How is your ping? Noticeable? Does it matter? I figure I'm about 200-250 from here. The time difference for a SEA/APAC server is a no biggie for me, because I tend to play later at night anyways which would be primetime for them.

I didn't look at the ping directly, but it was fine for me to do class story.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nah don't understand the appeal unless you're actually APAC and want better ping over better endgame population. It's not a different game like WoW Classic, I'd just be losing 10 years of work and friends.

A fresh economy that'll get destroyed as soon as CM whales get rolling and/or transfers are allowed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nah don't understand the appeal unless you're actually APAC and want better ping over better endgame population. It's not a different game like WoW Classic, I'd just be losing 10 years of work and friends.

A fresh economy that'll get destroyed as soon as CM whales get rolling and/or transfers are allowed.

Good point. I'd prefer to keep playing on my level 50 legacy haha

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Might be nice for combat to feel difficult again though.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Might be nice for combat to feel difficult again though.

Harder yes, difficult no. I have every confidence even on a fresh legacy I could level to 80 naked except oh/mh and not break a sweat.

Unless you started adding arbitrary restrictions like "no companion" but you can do that on any server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Harder yes, difficult no. I have every confidence even on a fresh legacy I could level to 80 naked except oh/mh and not break a sweat.

Unless you started adding arbitrary restrictions like "no companion" but you can do that on any server.

I dunno, I thought the same but I got my rear end kicked doing the Personal Challenge Heroic on Dromund Kaas. I didn't play it as if it were challenging (no DCDs, etc) but I did get smoked by a group of 3 before I realized how fast my health was dropping.

Missed my legacy, missed the ability to instantly pop a companion to level 50